No involuntary microchip implants in Georgia

February 4, 2010 14:19 pm

by Jason · 65 comments

The State Senate, having solved all other pressing issues facing Georgia, has passed legislation sponsored Chip Pearson that would protect individuals from having a microchip implanted on their person. No, really, they seriously took this up today:

State senators are moving to protect Georgians from being implanted with a microchip without their permission.

The Senate voted 47-2 on Thursday to approve a bill banning the practice without consent. Doing so would be a misdemeanor considered assault and battery.

Even with permission, implantation could only be performed by a doctor. Anyone who has a microchip implanted without their permission would be entitled to sue for damages.

Sen. Chip Pearson, who sponsored the bill, says it’s a proactive measure aimed at anticipating technological advances that may infringe on people’s rights. Sen. Vincent Fort, one of the two senators who opposed the bill, says it’s a “solution in search of a problem” and a waste of time during the state’s budget crisis.

It would be funny if it weren’t so sad. I can’t buy beer on Sunday, but at least I won’t have to worry about the Mark of the Beast. Thank you, Georgia General Assembly!

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard legislators say that they think there are so many other pressing issues that a particular bill isn’t worth taking up. So, what about this? Is this actually a pressing issue facing Georgians? Is the federal government, led by the Kenyan-born Barack Hussein Obama, forcing us to have microchips implanted now?

Gah, just please go home.

polisavvy February 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm

All I can say is a big WOW! and “are you kidding me?”

drjay February 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm

this is why it’s that much more important that we place them without anyone’s knowledge. wait nevermind, nothing to see here…

griftdrift February 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm

40 days is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many

polisavvy February 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Do you know much money it takes to introduce a bill in Georgia? I ask this because I know in Washington State it costs $7,000 per bill. Any idea?

kyleinatl February 4, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Your and my tax dollars at work.

AthensRepublican February 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Gold Dome Idiocy and a 47-2 vote to continue to give this line of thinking credibility. Georgia has real pressing needs right now and it is disappointing to see Senators wasting valuable time addressing issues that are at this time confined to science fiction movies.

Republican Lady February 6, 2010 at 12:29 am

Who were the two for the bill and were they sober when they voted?

AthensRepublican February 6, 2010 at 11:43 am

There were 2 opposed to the bill. Vincent Fort and Ronald Ramsey, both Democrats. They both argued essentially what others are saying on this forum. That, the legislature has more pressing issues to deal with rather than as Fort said “a solution looking for a problem.”

Part-Time Atlanta February 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Does this bill apply to pythons?

griftdrift February 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm

LOL

benevolus February 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Chip Pearson sponsored this? Really? Is he tall?

IndyInjun February 4, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Gah, just please go home. And don’t screw with touch anything.

Mad Dog February 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

LOL!

Did someone propose a bill to implant GPS chips in State Legislators?

Would someone please?

Part-Time Atlanta February 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm

That would be a waste of money. Unless the Cheetah has moved and I didn’t know it.

IndyInjun February 4, 2010 at 3:41 pm

+++++++ for that.

trainsplz February 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Can’t we just put ‘em to work painting over graffiti or filling potholes, instead of this nonsense? Maybe hand-straining Lake Lanier?

David Staples February 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Maybe we can call for a compromise. Perhaps they could word a bill so that it legalizes 1/5 gallon sizes of distilled grain-based coffee additives for a start…

inlimine February 4, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Do the 2 nays WANT us to be ‘chipped? If you ain’t against it, you must be fer it, right? I am glad this has been taken care of. I was just about to write Nathan Deal and ask him to write a letter to someone about it. Whew.

seenbetrdayz February 5, 2010 at 7:31 am

Thank you for pointing out the gorilla in the room, lol.

David Staples February 6, 2010 at 8:39 am

I remembered your comment as I was reading yesterday’s AJC this morning….

“This is a solution in search of a problem,” said Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Atlanta), one of only two senators to vote against it, along with Sen. Ronald Ramsey (D-Decatur). “We are spending our precious time – with a billion-and-a-half-dollar deficit – with something that is not a problem.”

HankRearden February 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Just STUPID.

macho February 4, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Are you sure it’s not the chip in your head that’s talking?

Progressive Dem February 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Have they outlawed zombies yet?

ByteMe February 4, 2010 at 6:18 pm

When zombies are outlawed, only outlaws will have… uh… never mind.

Ken in Eastman February 4, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Jason Pye February 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm

They will see my wrath.

Dave Bearse February 4, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Isn’t Chip part of the leadership? Impressive.

benevolus February 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm

His new nickname is MicroChip.

Ken in Eastman February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm

LOL! +1

AthensRepublican February 5, 2010 at 7:34 pm

+10

Captain Phatbeard February 4, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Even better is that this was already the law.

ByteMe February 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

It’s also right up there with waking up in a bathtub with a note nearby telling you to call 911 because your kidney was removed. Pretty sure stealing kidneys is against the law, but maybe they want to write another law for it just in case.

macho February 5, 2010 at 12:29 am

Now that’s hilarious.

Might want to go ahead and make it illegal for exiled, African Princes to wire transfer their fortunes to Georgian citizens.

Steve Perkins February 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Wow… I’m pretty surprised by the reaction to this post, as well as the fact that it came from PP’s token libertarian in the first place.

I’m nowhere near “tinfoil hat” enough to worry about this sort of thing at the present moment, but it IS an emerging technology… and 10 years ago I wasn’t worried about calls for DNA collection on the scale that we’re seeing even from *Democrat* politicians like Rob Teilhet.

So what’s the worse case, five minutes got wasted? Gee… I sure hope the “mastermind budget fix” [crickets chirping] doesn’t get put on hold until next year because this year’s session needed another five minutes. Hell, five minutes of the legislature doing something harmless is an improvement in my book.

Dave Bearse February 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm

That five minutes likely cost thousands after considering time in committee at $200 a day per diem for the legislators that sat through hearings in committee.

Maurice Atkinson February 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Dittos, I’m amazed at the complete hysterical reaction. If you haven’t watched how “government” has trampled over virtually every freedom loving value in the last 12 months, simply look at your 401(k). This administration makes Jimmy Carter look attractive. I’m for nearly anything preserving our liberty and keeping these incompetent power hungry politicians from dictating my every move.

IndyInjun February 4, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Yeah, Maurice, thanks to Georgia’s two US Senators, pensions and 401k’s are loaded to the gills with toxic assets and thanks to their elimination of honest accounting, nobody relying on these funds will know it until the checks start bouncing.

Melb February 5, 2010 at 12:01 am

Whew, I was really worried about this issue. Thank goodness someone did something before it got out of hand. Now I can start focusing on my #2 issue – the economy.

Ken in Eastman February 7, 2010 at 1:03 am

LOL!

kolt473 February 5, 2010 at 2:24 am

mark of the beast?`please Orwellian move by Democrats not Gop next idiot that sponsors bill like this should be voted out. I’d go along with bill if it just included rapists who committed crimes against women and children should be tracked forever, lot better than ankle bracelet have you heard about another bill called ”forced vaccination?” Sonny all for it, no dang govt official going to track or tell me i need shot for swine flu. As for chip I’d sue.

seenbetrdayz February 5, 2010 at 8:02 am

This is definitely tin-foil hattery nonsense. I mean, will someone please ask the General Assembly when was the last time our government sacrificed personal privacy for the sake of expediency?

I mean, sheesh. What a waste of time!

Jason Pye February 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I wasn’t aware that there was a looming threat of forced microchip implants.

The PATRIOT Act actually exists, it cleary violates the Fourth and Fifth Amendments and there are documented abuses of it by law enforcement. Proposals like Rob Teilhet’s DNA bill that are actually being debated as serious policy are things we should focus on. Not the non-existent threat of microchip implants.

When the Feds start forcing this on people, then you won’t get an argument from me on this type of bill. It’s just seems like paranoia when there is nothing to warrant it.

Steve Perkins February 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm

If the door had been closed to something like the Patriot Act years before, then it would have taken significantly more effort to reverse that and get the bill passed. I’m all for any protections of my civil liberties being codified during quiet times, so that cooler heads aren’t in as much of a disadvantage (as they always are) when some **** hits the fan and onerous bills are rushed through.

I’m really shrugging my shoulders at the stance you’ve taken on this one, Pye. I would have figured that at worst you’d be neutral or apathetic about it.

Jason Pye February 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm

If Congress will pass the PATRIOT Act in the face the Fourth Amendment, do you think they are going to balk over a resolution or bill passed by a state?

If this were actually an issue, something that was being considered as a serious policy proposal, then I would’ve backed the bill.

It just seems silly when I’m told that other issues aren’t worth taking up because of all the problems the state faces.

Steve Perkins February 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Historically with civil liberties… by the time something becomes a “serious policy proposal”, it’s far too late to stop. I just don’t see the 5-10 minutes (floor time for the typical bill) as being that big of a deal. But anyhoo, reasonable minds may vary.

seenbetrdayz February 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Exactly.

Doug Deal February 5, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I wasn’t aware that there was a looming threat of forced microchip implants.

That just proves they are working.

Romegaguy February 5, 2010 at 8:38 pm

damn tanalach media

ByteMe February 5, 2010 at 8:23 am

Ok, let me ask what hasn’t been asked yet: why is implanting a microchip on someone — a minor medical procedure — who doesn’t want it or know about it only considered a misdemeanor under this bill??

Diana February 5, 2010 at 11:11 am

I was thinking the same thing…against someone’s will and it’s only a misdemeanor?

Steve Perkins February 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Because you can also sue for money in civil court, which is where the REAL punishment is.

ByteMe February 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Not if there’s “tort reform” :)

Mad Dog February 5, 2010 at 4:32 pm

ByteMe,

I saw your comment as an opening for a humorous remark. Then I just couldn’t do it.

Instead, I have to go buy a copy of Catcher in the Rye.

All I know is that there’s something sinister going on with Democrats. They’re everywhere. And they don’t even know they’re Democrats!

ByteMe February 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm

How do you think they ended up back in the majority?

AthensRepublican February 5, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Oh, I thought it was a felony if the offender was a Democrat! :)

Bucky Plyler February 5, 2010 at 3:13 pm

One thing that is not being brought up in this discussion is the possible micro chipping of criminals (instead of ankle bracelets). This legislation would make it against state law. So, it does have some practicality.

I’m for putting implants in gator tails. I think we should be able to track their movement pst the Okeefeenokee Swamp.

ByteMe February 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm

We’re everywhere…. :)

Oh, wait, you didn’t mean…

Bucky Plyler February 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Yeah…bend over.

B Balz February 7, 2010 at 1:07 pm

LOLOLOLOLOL ! ! ! ! ! ! !!

Dave Bearse February 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Careful, you’re bringing to attentaion the bill doesn’t protect animals, and not PETA may get into it.

B Balz February 7, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Don’t give Rep. Teilhet any MORE ideas, Sir!

B Balz February 7, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Don’t give Rep. Teilhet any MORE ideas, Sir!

Bucky Plyler February 5, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Don’t worry, there will be no cutting..just this dart, I mean chip gun. BE still……

Ken in Eastman February 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm

It’s obvious that the legislation against involuntary microchip implants was to allow increased recruitment in the white’s only basketball league.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }