Goring the Ox

For all the people who washed their hands of Glenn Richardson, but have Oxendine stickers on their cars, get ready to engage in full Lady MacBeth syndrome should the Ox get elected.”

I’ll tell you bluntly, I will vote for Roy Barnes over John Oxendine. At least with Roy Barnes we’d get no worse than Sonny Perdue and would know honestly what we are getting.

John Oxendine is Georgia’s Rod Blagojevich, complete with bad hair.

What I would much prefer is one of the candidates who has always been a Republican. I would love to actually see Georgia get a Republican Governor — not just a guy with an “R” next to his name, but a small government, fiscal conservative, who will not wind up embarrassing us through scandal and, more likely than not, impeachment.

Let’s roll the tape.

According to the Atlanta Journal and Constitution, reporting on November 10, 1994, as far back as 1987 John Oxendine wanted to be Governor.

In 1987, state Democratic politico James Oxendine had this to say about his son John, then a 25-year-old graduate of the Mercer University law school: “He has already told me he wants to be governor, and I believe he can do it.”

In 1994, John Oxendine jumped from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party and challenged then Insurance Commissioner Tim Ryles. Oddly enough, Oxendine attacked Ryles on his ethical conduct in office with some accusations that suggest the Ox learned from what Ryles did in office.

On October 23, 1994, the AJC ran a story about the charges flying in the Insurance Commissioner’s race:

Oxendine calls Ryles a lawbreaker who has had difficulties with the State Ethics Commission. He cites last month’s commission ruling that Ryles violated ethics laws on three occasions by accepting prohibited campaign contributions totaling $ 2,500 in 1993 from businesses regulated by his office. Ryles returned the money but denied any wrongdoing.

Of note, Ryles called Oxendine a “Bill Clinton Republican.” Why? Well, Tom Baxter, reporting for the AJC back on August 16, 1994, noted, “Oxendine, a recent Republican convert, was a convention delegate for both Michael Dukakis and Clinton.”

Just over a month later, Oxendine finally denied that he had been a delegate for Bill Clinton, blaming his wife instead. But wait. Guess who his wife was. From the September 30, 1994, AJC, Section C, Page 7:

In a news release issued Thursday, Ryles said Oxendine, in 1992, “was a Bill Clinton presidential delegate.”

Oxendine’s wife, Lee, who served as the state Democratic Party’s lawyer at the time, was a delegate, and Oxendine said he journeyed to New York with her. But he wasn’t a delegate, state party spokesman Bill Florence said. “I didn’t even have a floor pass,” Oxendine said.

Challenged on the assertion, Ryles campaign manager Brent Layton was undeterred. “I heard it from numerous people,” Layton said.

Oxendine was a Democrat until last year, but said he has never voted for a Democrat for president.

Personally, I have a real hard time believing that a man who grew up surrounded by Democrats and who married the Democrats’ lawyer and who was a delegate for Michael Dukakis and went to the New York convention for Bill Clinton (though a over a month after the AJC reported he was a delegate he finally denied it) had never voted for a Democrat for President — especially in 1992 when even the Democrats thought Bill Clinton was a conservative and in fact many thought he was more conservative than George H. W. Bush.

Personally, I think Oxendine lied.

Consider this from that November 10, 1994, AJC article:

Oxendine comes from a long line of Democrats. Former Gov. Joe Frank Harris appointed his father in 1986 to chair the state Workers’ Compensation Board, a position the elder Oxendine held until 1992, when Gov. Zell Miller appointed him as a Superior Court judge in Gwinnett County.

The new commissioner himself worked on Harris’ campaign and, as a college student, interned for former Gov. George Busbee. His wife, Lee, served as general counsel of the Georgia Democratic Party until last year.

Oxendine said the election of Bill Clinton in 1992 was his impetus to switch parties.

“The national Democratic Party has always been liberal, but I had always taken refuge in the fact that Georgia’s Democrats were more conservative,” Oxendine said. “But then I saw the support given to Clinton by the Democratic leadership in Georgia, and it showed me that the party here was no longer conservative.”

So Oxendine went to the 1992 convention and his wife stayed on as counsel until 1993 and he conveniently blames Clinton’s election on his switch — not Clinton’s post election policies, but his election.

Baloney.

Fast forward now to 1997. Oxendine ran his 1994 election attacking Ryles for “violat[ing] ethics laws on three occasions by accepting prohibited campaign contributions totaling $ 2,500 in 1993 from businesses regulated by his office. Ryles returned the money but denied any wrongdoing.”

Three years into his office, on November 8, 1997, the August Chronicle reported

Georgia Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine saved himself and University Hospital chieftain Don Bray a lot of embarrassment — and perhaps an ethics suit — by doing a fast turnaround last Wednesday.

Printed invitations were sent from a ”host committee” (including Bray) asking for $ 100 for an audience with Oxendine at a lavish Nov. 6 party in the home of businessman Tim Shelnut.

What the other hosts didn’t know is that, on Oxendine’s desk, is a bid from University to purchase a health maintenance organization the state insurance agency has been supervising.

John Oxendine will say or do anything to get elected. His principles and ethics are malleable and blow with the wind. The only thing Oxendine cares about is his political ambition. For all the people who washed their hands of Glenn Richardson, but have Oxendine stickers on their cars, get ready to engage in full Lady MacBeth syndrome should the Ox get elected. It won’t be women bringing down Ox, but it will be scandal. And with it would fall the Georgia Republican Party.

1. IndyInjun says:

Augusta radio talker Austin Rhodes was heard to say that he will move to South Carolina if it comes down to Oxendine versus Barnes.

If GOP hawkers Rhodes and Erickson are this vocal, Oxendine supporters need to take heed.

After all, Howard Dean only had to scream ONCE for the Dems to come to THEIR senses.

Oxendine is a steady cacophony of outrages.

• Well if a TALK RADIO HOST says something, you simply have to take it seriously!

I thought that “Canada” was the preferred imaginary destination for people blowing hot air like this.

• TPNoGa says:

As much as I love your avatar, I must disagree with you on the health care bit. My grandparents lived in Toronto for years. When my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer, he was put on a 6 month long wait list for necessary treatment. He had to fly back and forth to the US to get proper health care. I would say you have it backwards, Canadians come here for decent health care.

• IndyInjun says:

LOL Perkins, I don’t take any talker seriously, especially one who has to out-outrage Boortz and Limbaugh on a daily basis.

Erick’s line about a “goat-farking child molester” would fit right in.

2. ChiefofStaff65 says:

Well Erik,

Seems to be Johnson, Scott and Handel are all lifelong Republicans.

Check!

and then you say “I would love to actually see Georgia get a Republican Governor — not just a guy with an “R” next to his name, but a small government, fiscal conservative, who will not wind up embarrassing us through scandal and, more likely than not, impeachment.

I specifically do not want a politically malleable charlatan who will say or do anything to get elected. And that is precisely what I see in Oxendine — a man who woos some with tales of Jesus and others with whatever sort of pandering he can.”

Well, I know that Scott seems to tell it like it is, no matter where he goes. Can anyone argue that?

• lets rock says:

Also the Rep. Scott is the only candidate that is from our State other than Deal… Mcberry does not count to me!

• polisavvy says:

Bios generally list the birthplace. Therefore, no certificate is needed. We aren’t all of “birthers” mentality.

• TeaPartyCoastalGA says:

Why wouldn’t Mr. McBerry count? Why is he immediately dismissed? I can tell you this he reasonates with the Tea Party movement and all the candiates better take heed.

• Painterman says:

Someone ask McBerry how things went at the Secessionist event in SC last October where he was a speaker.
        He has a good stump speech, but you’d better look closer before you jump on his ship. It’s got holes too.

3. Mayonnaise says:

He has no shot of winning a run-off. All Johnson, Handel, Scott, McBerry, Chapman and Deal supporters will vote against him. That’s if he makes it to the Primary.

• TeaPartyCoastalGA says:

McBerry could probably win. Ox is being exposed for what he is. Tea Partiers know authenticity when we see it. McBerry appears to be a very strong constitutionalist. He has spoken to a good many of local Tea Party movements and he is by far the only candidate that has a clear understanding of the Constitution. Looks like the Tea Party movement has found their candidate.

4. Mozart says:

Austin Rhodes has steady-boat integrity, Erickson’s integrity is more “of the moment.” Please don’t muddy Rhodes’ reputation by presuming he and Erick are cut from anything like the same cloth of human.

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Great post Erick, glad to see you back covering GA politics.

But this is the exact reason why I’ll be voting for the OX. He’s entertaining. And as Governor, we will not have any shortage of fun posts on PP highlighting Ox’s escapades.

6. True Grit says:

You’re a real good Republican Erick…..Oh yeah…you’re the same guy who endorsed Democrat Sam Hart for Bibb County Commission over Republican Charlie Bishop.

• Erick says:

Bill, that’s a lie.

I ran Charlie’s first race and stayed out of the second because Sam Hart has been a friend since I moved to Macon.

• Hortence says:

Ox has no morals and is not a real Republican. Plus he’s just corrupt. There is no way that my Republican household would vote for him in a primary, runoff, or General Election.

7. rugby says:

I’m just curious which campaign’s research staff sent these to Erick. I don’t think it matters, it is what campaigns do, I still just want to know which one.

• Erick says:

Actually, I have a Lexis-Nexis account and did it myself. I was here in 1994 and had just started the College Republicans at Mercer. I remember that race.

• AlanR says:

Not to defend Erick, but all you have to do is read the newspaper. No campaign staff needed. There is no mystery to any of this. Oxendine is that bad, and the wonder is he’s gotten this far. He is absolutely brazen. Keep reading Erick, it sounds like you’re in the mid-1990s. It only gets crazier.

• AthensRepublican says:

Yes, that was the year us Republicans won two statewide offices for the first time with candidates John Oxendine and Linda Schrenko.

8. macho says:

I think the Ox Herd needs to wake-up. He playing you guys like a fiddle. The man is deplete of any core values. His values are of what ever group he happens to be speaking to at the moment. I found it amusing that the AJC said he was “hoovering” around the Capitol when Unterman dropped he child rape bill. I promise you, Ox is trying to decide his position based on potential votes. I’m sure the gears in his head are turning, “If I come out against her bill will I pick up enough Christian Coalition votes to offset the North Fulton and Cobb votes I’ll lose, or should I support her bill and get more of the Reagan Republican voters, although I’ll loose some of Jerry Fawell types. But if the Jerry Fawell types get mad at me, who will they vote for; McBerry?”

I’ve never voted for a Democrat for Governor in my entire life, with Ox as nominee, I still won’t vote for Barnes, but I just won’t vote.

• anewday says:

Agreed. Never voted Dem. in my life. If Ox wins I will not only vote for Roy Barnes, but become extremely active in his campaign.

• macho – why not vote at all? Is there a major issue you disagree with John Monds on? Why not help the Libertarian Party try and at least get equal ballot access? The Dems and Republicans have set the bar at a minimum of 20 percent of the vote in the Governor’s race or Presidential race to be able to run for any office in Georgia without having to gather however many thousands of signatures… (something the Democrats and Republicans don’t have to do…)

9. Technocrat says:

“John Oxendine will say or do anything to get elected. His principles and ethics are malleable and blow with the wind.”
    Sounds like the DEFINITION of any true politican to me!
    To thy own self be true.

The more Erick complains the worse Handel is doing, now it seems he’s shifting to the full Dark Side [Democrats] as a backup plan.

Most people cannot see the forrest for the trees

10. AthensRepublican says:

I can’t support Oxendine either and many Republicans that I speak with feel the same way. I still don’t think Oxendine will be our nominee and I don’t foresee having to consider voting for a candidate of another party. If I am wrong and he does wind up being our nominee, I would have no problem in casting my vote for the Libertarian candidate John Monds.

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

I’m with you AR. I won’t vote for Ox, but I won’t vote for Barnes either. Libertarians may be able to clear 5% if Ox is the nominee.

11. griftdrift says:

“I would love to actually see Georgia get a Republican Governor — not just a guy with an “R” next to his name, but a small government, fiscal conservative, who will not wind up embarrassing us through scandal and, more likely than not, impeachment.”

Struck the tent in Florida and moved the purge to Georgia, have you, Erick?

12. Mid Georgia Retiree says:

I think Erick is right on the money on this one. I think that if Oxendine gets the Republican nomination then Roy Barnes is a shoo-in for governor. I didn’t like him the first time around, but I will surely pick him over Oxendine. Why? Because if you don’t vote you have no right to gripe!

13. Technocrat says:

Bo Callaway was the first modern Republican candidate for governor on the ballot. He was nominated by the Republican state convention because no means existed for Republican primaries.

Remember Newt was a Democrat first then switched running 3 times before he was elected in 1978.
    A review of the Party’s history might be helpful:

The point is 95% were Democrats before they became Republicans.
    Heck I was a Jimmy Carter fool [Youth for Carter] for his first attempt at Governor.

• macho says:

I don’t think the criticism of Ox is for being a Democrat per se, it’s the trail of lies he’s told regarding his Democrat history. It’s one more example of the fact that he’ll lie about anything. Hey Ox, where is the proof that you paid for that Hollywood, Elton John, Oscar excursion. Is Dee Yancey a buddy or your’s or not? Did you endorse Rudy Giuliani for President or not? I can go on and on with his lies. Some are significant some are not, but the point is he lies about everything. If you ask him what he had for lunch, he’ll try to figure out whether you would like him more if he had chicken or fish before he answered the question.

• AlanR says:

And if he said fish, and you showed him the video of him eating chicken, he’d deny it, call you a liberal, disappear for a day or two, and then announce some investigation or denial of a rate increase and go on like nothing happened.

• Hortence says:

Could care less whether he was a Democrat or a Republican. Most Georgians were a Democrat at some point unless they were in Metro Atlanta and then there were a few original Republicans there.

However – Oxendine claims to be a REAGAN REPUBLICAN when in reality he wasn’t. Plus, he’s just corrupt and unethical.

If Ox is the Republican nominee – there will be a lot of Republicans getting involved and behind Barnes.

14. B Balz says:

That so many regular readers and lifetime GOP voters agree they will not vote for Mr. Oxendine is telling, yet meaningless. I won’t vote for Mr. Oxendine or Mr. Barnes either, but who cares?

As Icarus pointed out elsewhere, PP is not about ‘retail’ politics. I am concerned that every point Erick brings to light, is light on what would prevent soembody from voting for this guy.

Y’all need to look beyond the ‘political’ indiscretions and focus on an issue that resonates with ‘everyman’ before the Georgia GOP is forced to put this horse in the race.

BTW: Rep. Scott would get my vote if nominated.

• Kellie says:

He’s my absolute favorite! He’s the manliest girl on the list. What a hottie.

Note to OX – my business already sucks so good luck on making it any worst than you already have as Ins. Comm.

• Technocrat says:

See what happens when you don’t support him.
          I am in charge of Karma, meta physical punishments, spells and other magical events.
          Careful or we will repo your Besom.

• Mozart says:

“He’s the manliest girl on the list”

Well, that begs the question: Who is the 2nd manliest girl on your list? 🙂

• Hortence says:

Well there’s a winner. You know what they say about people who cheat on their spouses — they don’t hold any sacred…

• BillinSuwanee says:

TPNoGa. Are you a Democrap?

Austin Scott is a Statist in training. He is Obama 10 years ago.

Austin actually made the statement that he would work with the Federal guv’mint if Nationalized Health care was implemented, because we get $7.0B from Wash DC to cover Medicaid/Peachcare/etc.

A true Conservative Republican would have said we are going to wean ourselves off the Federal guv’mints teet, because Georgia stands alone and can take care of itself.

Austin Scott should be a Democrap. He could beat Barnes in a Democrap Primary.

15. SouthGAConservative says:

Well Ox is just nuts. WHY is he still in this race!? WHEN are people going to force him out so doctors and insurance people can stop getting threatened into sending checks? It wastes good money and time that should be going to an actual possibility for the nominee! Especially since this is a big voting year for Republicans (remember the coming census?)

Johnson is still, and will continue to be, my vote. Experience*, Integrity, Proven Ability.

*Against Barnes (and won), with the Legislature (so he can get his agenda passed**), with the process (knows what it takes and what can work not just passing around ideas that make for good sound bites).

**Austin may have legislative experience but I still contend he has a lot of growing to do , and money may not buy votes but it sure does buy the stuff to reach the voters. Austin just ain’t got it. Johnson does.

• polisavvy says:

We shall see. He’s been in politics since since 1996, Johnson since 1992. It’s too early for anyone to allege that Austin Scott is out of it because of the lack of money, name recognition, or support. Time does have a tendency to change things. Anything can happen to any candidate at any time. Scandals could break which knock any of them down in the polls — except Ox because he’s doing his own knocking of himself. I think Austin has what it takes. I like his youth, his candor, his ideas, his enthusiasm. I also think Johnson is a good choice, too; however, Austin has the edge with me.

• lets rock says:

That OX will destroy his on self with that rat squeaky voice OMG if I had to hear that voice for eight long years much less four!

• SouthGAConservative says:

Meant to only comment once…oops….

Johnson has been in politics since the late 1970’s, got into it through Rep. Jack Kingston (an awesome Congressman to have!). Did the Reagan thing in the 1980’s and was Chairman of the Chatham County GOP before going to the capital.

I agree that time and Georgia politics can yield interesting twists but Austin is still lacking in substance and thought. Especially as evidenced by his elbow throwing at the debate, I would’ve liked to hear more policy plans.

• BillinSuwanee says:

Austin Scott is a Statist in training. He is Obama 10 years ago.

Austin Scott should be a Democrap. He could beat Barnes in a Democrap Primary.

• Making Sense says:

Yawn… Johnson has his own checkered past. Perhaps you should get your head out of the clouds and look at some facts.

• polisavvy says:

Perhaps you misunderstood my post, I was not saying that I was for Johnson, nor that I did or did not recognize the fact that he may or may not have a checkered past. I was referencing that Representative Scott is not some political newbie, that’s all.

• SouthGAConservative says:

What checkers?
        And I did look at facts, that’s how I came to chose who I support. And trust me I am from too far below sea level to be near any clouds.

• Mozart says:

Ummm…lessee this “record” for Karen:

1) Left Fulton County Commission after a whopping 2 years of service, and turning the chairmanship of it over to a Democrat after it being out of their hands for close to…what? 15 years? She couldn’t even stay for a real, full term (i.e., 4 years).

2) Served 3 years as SoS before bolting this past December at the urging of her starving campaign staff who need her to go out and earn money for them to survive.

Yeahhhhh…”great record” of not accomplishing much of anything. Thanks for bringing this to light, RL, with your question. Looks like Handel has quite the empty resume.

Perfect person to takeover as CEO of the state of Georgia. About as perfect a person as Obama was to takeover the CEO position of the USA.

• ByteMe says:

Uhh… Mozart, you need to get to Fulton County more. Karen was there for the term she was elected, which started in 2003 after Mike Kenn resigned about a year into his second term.

• Mozart says:

Okay. I’ll correct myself: She served 3 years on the commission, and then allowed a Democrat to takeover control of the commission.

Did I make any mistakes as to her “tenure” as SoS? Is there a missing year in there that would have her completing 4 years?

• ByteMe says:

If there was, I would have corrected you on it. You were trying to lay claim to a “quitter” trend, but there’s not really a trend to be found once you have only one data point.

As to your claim that she “allowed” a Democrat to take over the commission, someone else ran for the office and clearly the Republican in the race wasn’t good enough win. To lay that at her feet is like complaining that Senator Stupid is still a senator because the Democrats didn’t run a strong enough candidate against him. Someone voted FOR him (although most of those people will now deny it… until the next time he’s up for re-election and then they’ll vote for him again).

• Republican Lady says:

Then you obviously haven’t read her resume or her stance on critical issues. Here is her website:

Some highlights include:

As Secretary of State, Karen supervised nearly 400 employees. Her duties included overseeing elections, corporations, securities, professional licensing boards, and an anti-fraud investigative unit she formed in her first months in office.

In 2007, Karen successfully defended Georgia’s Photo ID law, and in 2008, she oversaw the largest elections in Georgia’s history. She led a top-to-bottom review of the agency, resulting in a 15% reduction in the agency’s budget with improvements in efficiency and customer service. Recently, Karen’s office announced that several national financial services firms will pay $8.5 million in fines to the State of Georgia, and Georgians will recover more than $3.5 billion of investments.

Karen left her post at great financial risk to herself by giving up a paycheck so that no one could accuse her of manipulating the election results. None of the other candidates have shone that type of faith in themselves. It took courage on her part, especially in this economy. It is the same kind of courage she brings to the table and to the governor’s position.

• Republican Lady says:

Some highlights include:

• AubieTurtle says:

Everyone who has a scandal at some point had no scandal. Will dirt come out on Karen? Who knows… I’m going to guess there isn’t a whole lot out there to find but I certainly wouldn’t bet my life on it.

Karen has some big handicaps:

1) She’s not only from the evil metro Atlanta but from Fulton, the inner most ring of evil (at least in the view of much of the rest of the state)

2) She’s doesn’t have a Y chromosome. As much as I’d like to think that doesn’t matter in this day and age, I suspect it is worth at least a couple of percentage points.

3) Not only is she from the evil kingdom but she supports rail transit along 285. For many in the state, she just kicked Satan himself off the throne of fire and took over management of hades with that one.

4) Where did she graduate from college? Or even high school for that matter? While her supporters would like to say the college issue doesn’t matter because people like Bill Gates didn’t finish college either, the standard Lloyd Benson remark will come in to play. She can probably clear up the high school issue and maybe already has but the rumor mill still is that she has a GED so even if it isn’t true, she hasn’t done a good job of combating the rumor.

• Republican Lady says:

AubieTurtle,

Karen did graduate high school and even went to college although her opponents like to fudge on that fact. She has tried to clear up that rumor but why should she keep pounding on something that some people will refuse to believe, no matter what she says? She has more important issues to deal with in her public service life.

Examples of those with the “almighty important Y chromosome” who have brought shame to politics and cheated the voters out of public service because they are/were too busy battling their distractions are John Oxendine, John Edwards, Daniel Walker, Otto Kerner, Jr., George Ryan, Rod Blagojevich, Jim Edgar, Mark Sanford, and Richard Nixon, to name a few.

I can’t recall those with or without the “Y” chromosome who have done so much with that “piece of paper” than Karen has in her career. While she did not get that “piece of paper” she has done more in public service than many of those with that “piece of paper.”

Like the military, Karen gets more done before 10 AM than most professional politicans do all day. All the more reason for her to use that energy and drive to bring Georgia to be the best it can be, and all without the coveted “Y” chromosome.

• BillinSuwanee says:

Republican Lady I disagree. Karen seems to be a lovely person and I agree a formal education contributes nothing to the Governor’s job. But …

Karen always answers questions posed to her with the following;

‘I’ll form a Task Force’

‘I’ll get a committee together’

There is a common quote I’ll paraphrase; ‘The incompetent King delegates his decisions, because he knows not what he does.’

Karen is unsure of herself and she doesn’t know what to do. If you want government to grow and bureaucrats to achieve great things vote for Karen.

BiS

• Kellie says:

Bill – maybe she just wants you to know she is not a dictator; she will hear all sides and do research before making a decision. 😉

• Ken in Eastman says:

Ladies,

Perhaps the time has come to form a task force or think tank or whatever and begin to formulate some proposals. Karen doesn’t even have to be there for most of their meetings, just provide direction. That way she can continue to campaign. Some concrete answers or proposals would be nice.

16. AlanR says:

I like the fact that Handel doesn’t have a big league education. Look at what a great job the Ivy League geniuses in DC are doing for us.

And she may not be conservative enough for everyone here, but she is a republican, starting out with Marilyn Quayle.

She will still need to run on her record, and that may be a problem.

• Mozart says:

What did she do for Marilyn Quayle? Keep her appointment book and social calendar? Yep! That qualifies her for this state!

• AlanR says:

Considering she didn’t have an Ivy League degree and limited experience, she managed to interview and get an entry level job with the office of vice president. In DC this was, and continues to be, a pretty hard thing to do. Its not a qualification to be governor, and I mention it more as part of her resume as a republican. It is the sort of life credential that indicates she has some character. Give her some credit for that. You may think she’s wrong on everything, but she’s not standing around waiting for something to happen.

• ready2rumble says:

Allen,
          She was Deputy Chief of Staff, I’m pretty sure that’s not an “entry level” position.

• Republican Lady says:

As Marilyn’s Deputy Chief of Staff, I believe it entails more than merely keeping an appointment book and social calendar.

17. foray says:

John is a fraud- about 4 years ago I walked out of the House Appropriations office and saw him walking into the Capitol phone to his ear talking away- when suddenly the phone rang

Early last year I was at a Georgia Sheriff’s Association Conference when he spoke, a newly elected Sheriff from Polk County Kelly McClendon got up and gored him about his proposal to transfer lots of authority from local sheriffs to the dept of public safety- you should have seen the look on Ox’s face- all I heard afterward from Sheriffs democrat and republican was “He is a fraud.”

18. fishtail says:

What scares me about OX is that the general public still regards him highly. Folks here on Peach Pundit know what he is, but to the majority of Georgians he has positive name recognition. And he knows how to take advantage of every opportunity he can get to brag about how he is helping the “little guy” against the big insurance companies. I predict his criminal investigation of Clark Fain and the SEUS insurance company and its board of high-profile political raconteurs like Larry Walker, Terry Coleman, Hugh McNatt, Connell Stafford, Billy Corey, etc. will culminate right before the Republican Primary, complete with TV cameras rolling as he frog marches some of these guys out of their offices to a waiting police car. He is certainly capable of such machinations. And it will resonate with the electorate.

19. Harry says:

I’ve never supported the idea of a politician taking a government paycheck while running for another office. Campaigning is a full-time job, and the performance of the duties of the currently-held office suffers. George W. Bush did the honorable thing and quit his job as governor of Texas to run for president. John McCain didn’t quit his job as senator. Needless to say, the like of Kerry and Obama didn’t quit. I therefore applaud Karen Handel for foregoing the SOS paycheck, and would like to see Ox do the same.

• AubieTurtle says:

While I agree with you that it is better for an official in a position that requires full time attention to resign before hitting the campaign trail for the next office, it would be nice if they’d complete at least one entire term. There’s no reason to single out Karen Handel for this since so many other do it.

Guess I’d like to see people in positions who actually believe in doing that job rather than seeing it as a step on the ladder to something else. Certainly a person shouldn’t be confined forever to one particular position but the business of serving a long string of half terms on a march to the top makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be better to elect people for all of those ladder positions who are actually going to put the work of the office first.

20. BillinSuwanee says:

It is not that difficult.

1. Oxendine is clearly a machine Repubic. (Repubic = Liberal/Socialist Republican)

2. Nathan Deal is a demonstrated Socialist/Statist (Repubic)

3. Austin Scott should be a Democrap. He could beat Barnes if he was Democrap.

4. Karen Handel is a bureaucrat. You want guv’mint to grow elect her.

5. Eric Johnson can’t win

6. Jeff Chapman can’t win

7. Ray McBerry strong among the Tea Parties, Christians, Independents, and moderate Democrats. Not Democraps, but moderate Democrats.

Only a candidate that can draw moderate Democrats, Independents, and conservatives can win the Governor’s seat. Otherwise you’ll be stuck with the fat-a** Barnes.

You pick the person that can win.

• Doug Deal says:

This just in, those groups think his is nuts, just like everyone else. Unless you think that fringe 2% you hang with are the only Christians, Tea Party Protesters, Independents and moderate Democrats in that state. In which case their numbers are insignificant.