Courtesy Flush

Today Gov. Perdue announced his backing of water conservation legislation, complete with a push for low-flow toilets.

Beginning in July 2012, the legislation requires efficient water fixtures in all new residential and commercial construction statewide as well as the installation of efficient cooling towers in new industrial construction. Also, for all new residential and commercial multi-unit projects, the bill will require sub-metering so that each unit will receive consumption reports and have incentive to practice conservation measures.

The AJC’s Jim Galloway has more here.

Please bring all off-topic comments and bathroom humor here. OPEN THREAD.

1. HankRearden says:

Since we have an Open Thread. Who is Matt Sheffield and when is he gonna have a website? If you are paying to advertise, what is the product???

• polisavvy says:

Yup, sure are. I am quite sure that my dad, who was a DI at Parris Island (WWII, Korean War, Vietnam) would be glad to hear this (R.I.P.). He had a tattoo of Semper Fi on his shoulder and wore it proudly. There was absolutely nothing gay about him! The most ridiculous statement I have heard (or seen) today.

2. Romegaguy says:

I had an uncle that served with Audie Murphy in WWII. I remember the faded tattoo he got while in the Army. Glad to know Saxby thinks he was gay.

3. ChiefofStaff65 says:

This is an issue Scott has been talking about every time he comes to an event and gives his speech. He talks about how much this would save the state money. Interesting.

4. Rick Day says:

The Ceramic Throne Lobby is flush with joy over this impending flow of revenue. Their glee is unflappable.

meanwhile, the rest of the state goes in the crapper.

That’s a wrap.

5. IndyInjun says:

Speaking of a flush….

825,000 jobs to disappear on February 5

Only one thing, this won’t be reported because the 825,000 jobs were lost last year and the lying government doesn’t openly disclose its hugelies……uh, “mistakes.”

Of course, these were the same economists fools who said the US economy was “strong” until they started to look like the fools they are.

6. Doug Deal says:

According to this website toilet flushing (in 1999) accounts for about 10% of residential water use. I have seen reports that say up to 20-25% of water use is residential. This means if we went beyond low flow toilets and straight to crapping on the lawn, that’s a potential of 2% savings in water.

Stopping outdoor uses, on the other hand would save 58% of residential use, or reduce our water usage by 15%.

Knowing this, what kind of weirdo opts for a toilet nanny state instead of perhaps metering outdoor water at a much higher rate? Having politicians worry about my bathroom habits brings new meaning to a “Sonny-do list”.

Perhaps Sonny has a friend in the fixture industry chomping at the bit to give him a decent retirement.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Good points, Doug. I lived in the San Antionio area for a few years and many yards there are designed to be low-water maintenance yards – lots of hearty shrubs that require little water, rock gardens, etc. and very little grass (other than the native stuff which was not cut but sectioned off).

They look good and require ZERO time mowing yards.

• Are you talking about putting two meters on a house then? One for indoor use and one for outdoor use? Sounds to me like that would create even more confusion in a government who already operates inefficiently at best. It also would create a heavy burden on homeowners or water systems to re-configure the entire plumbing of houses. One could say that you change to a tiered usage – for example $3 per 1,000 gallons for the first 5,000 gallons and $10 per 1,000 gallons for any usage over and above 5,000 gallons. But then you’ve got the issue of charging people more just because they have gardens. Granted, they could use rain barrels to catch water from their roof (if their homeowner’s association doesn’t prevent that… or their garden for that matter).

Though I don’t necessarily agree that low flow toilets should be mandated by government, I would like to see toilet manufacturers do it themselves. There’s really not any reason (that I can think of anyways) for making an inefficient toilet when it’s just as cost effective to make an efficient one.

• benevolus says:

Or: One meter for incoming water and one meter for sewage out.
        Right now they just assume your sewage to be all of your incoming water (unless you do have a separate meter for your lawn).

I just don’t want to be the installer.

7. Doug Deal says:

Oh, and speaking of toilets. I have seen dogs drink out of toilet water and that is just nasty. Perhaps another one of the governors other priorities could be spiking toilet water to make it taste bad. You know since the budget the many other crisisses aren’t apparent one of them for him or the legislature.

8. Kellie says:

Please watch “Front of the Class” on CBS at 8pm tomorrow night – Feb. 6th.

It is a movie about a friend of mine, Brad Cohen, who has Tourette’s.
    For those of you with motorcycles, I am planning a ride on April 24 in Gainesville to benefit Camp Twitch and Shout. Brad will be speaking at my church afterwards.

• polisavvy says:

I’ll be sure to watch. A very close personal friend has Tourette’s (and has, most recently suffered a stroke which makes his condition even worse). I wish you the best in your endeavor. Very worthy cause. Two thumbs up!!

9. audiesdad says:

To view and sign a Petition requesting that Audie Murphy, America’s most decorated soldier of WWII, be posthumously bestowed our Nations highest civilian honor, the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom, use this link:

Thank you!
    Dave Phillips
    Audie Murphy Presidential Medal of Freedom Petition Drive

• polisavvy says:

Disgusted to think of it having not already happened. Way overdue!! Men like that don’t come along very often. A true American Hero. Considered it signed and thanks for sharing.