What a Jack—

So apparently Mark Burkhalter decided that since he was speaker for a whopping 11 days, it would be a good idea to pack as many of his friends as he could into state committees before he jets off to London to do God knows what to HRM’s economy.

One of the supporters is Robert Proctor, a proctologist an Atlanta lawyer. He was appointed to the State Ethics Commission.

Given the ethical challenges the GOP has had of late, you’d think Mr. Burkhalter would make sure that his choice was above reproach.

Oh wait, this is the sleep-with-whomever old guard we’re talking about.

Mr. Proctor was fined by the State Ethics Commission and ordered to register as a lobbyist six years ago.

Six years ago? I’m sure it was an oversight that Mr. Proctor cleaned up right?

“Robert Proctor, an Atlanta lawyer appointed to the board last month, said he has known about the order for years, but he was never properly served notice by the commission.

“An order that is never served on the other party is not an order,” he said.

The odd case seems to have arisen from bungling by the state government’s watchdog. With Proctor’s appointment, the state now has a commission board member disregarding an order from the very panel on which he now serves. And no one seems to know what to do about it.

Proctor says the case will likely remain in limbo.

“It’s just going to sit there,” he said. “I have no intention of doing anything about it.”

Read the rest at the AJC.

1. ByteMe says:

Wondered if any of the front page posters were going to take this one on….

So who gets to fire this guy from the commission… or is this supposed to be a “Joe Kennedy heads the SEC” moment in Georgia?

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I guess he hasn’t been paying attention for the past 3 months.

This thread should be tagged under “Douchebag”

3. Progressive Dem says:

I find it odd that Burkhalter would actually make any appointments. He was clearly supposed to be a caretaker, or place holder. While he had the authority to make appointments, he was never sanctioned to hold the office. In fact, he was told that he could not hold the office alledgedly for the same reasons the former Speaker resigned. Of course the Speaker didn’t resign until he could be vested for another year on his government pension. I doubt Speaker Ralston or someone with a political future would appoint someone with tarnished ethics to the Ethics Commission.

4. atllawya says:

Bob Proctor is an excellent attorney, ethically above reproach and is probably the most conservative guy you’ve never heard of. He’s been a thorn in the side of Fulton County Government (especially the Tax Assessor) for years and was part of the Mitch Skandalakis-led tax revolt in Fulton in the early 90’s.

The State of Georgia is lucky to have him on the commission.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Well then, I guess that makes it OK.

I remember another “excellent attorney,” who was “ethically above reproach” and also considered a “most conservative guy.”

Maybe you heard of him? Glenn Richardson.

• atllawya says:

glenn richardson is and was an ass face. Anyone who knew him would not disagree. Especially Mrs. Richardson. Bob Proctor is a guy that does everything literally by the book. If you read the full article, it shows him going by the book on what happened.

If you don’t like it because of the way Burkhalter appointed him, that’s fine, but don’t throw a guy you don’t know anything about under a bus due to circumstance.

• Mad Dog says:

Going by the book, does your ‘book’ state that the condemned have to walk to the chair?

So Proctor, pretty much knowing he was getting off on a technicality, was content to beat the system. Like being paroled by accident? Killing your wife and never being caught?

It looks very much like your Proctor will win by any method. In the book or not.

As to throwing him under the bus, is there room for any more real conservatives under there with Bush et al?

• drjay says:

random observation, do you think you are doing your guy any favors by tying him to a mitch skandalakis led anything considering how history has played out?

• AthensRepublican says:

He may be a great guy, but it certainly does not make many of us comfortable with someone who apparently does not have respect for ethics laws to be serving in his current capacity.

5. atllawya says:

Considering he wasn’t associated with him during Mr. Skandalakis’ ordeals, no. Plus he’s not my “‘guy”. He’s “a guy”, but he’s a good guy and a smart guy.

The fact that his associates in the Tax Revolts of the early 90’s went on to later act like jackasses shouldn’t affect him in the least. It was a very important movement for the Republican Party and for the residents of Fulton County. To not give participants their due because of unrelated, later actions, doesn’t make anyone’s contributions less important or meaningful.

• NightmareonPryorStreet says:

Question for atllawya: Does your opinion of Mr. Proctor change when you consider he was the primary attorney for Buddy Ramsey and Vesta Holdings when Skandalakis held the fire sale of Fulton County tax liens?

For someone who claimed to be the “taxpayer’s best friend” in the 90’s, it sure is curious that he was one of the biggest beneficiaries of a questionable, sweetheart friend contract that helped to screw Fulton residents and helped lead Skandalakis to jail.

Paging Josh Kenyon and Sally Yates….

• Ken in Eastman says:

Harry,

It’s a matter of right and wrong rather than party. If the GAGOP steps out of line, then who better to lovingly correct it than those who belong? Besides, it’s not the whole GAGOP here, it’s Burkhalter and Proctor.

The other thing is that Proctor can stand on legality if he likes, but it’s an ethics board and ethics is a higher hurdle than mere “legality so I am not impressed with “innocence via loophole”.

• Doug Deal says:

Byte, the same can be asked of the Democrats as well. I criticize the GOP just as much as anyone and their behavior is often times inexcusable, but the Democrats are much worse at glossing over the problems in their membership.

If both parties would spend 1/10 of the energy they spend attacking the other side on improve their own, we would be in much better shape.

• ByteMe says:

But in this state, the Republican Party is in charge and the Democratic Party is the shell that remained from the Republican Party after everyone switched away from that party. Think turtles swapping shells to get what I’m saying. Anyway, (D)’s aren’t in charge, so their ethics don’t count right now.

• Ken in Eastman says:

ByteMe and Doug Deal,

Anyway, (D)’s aren’t in charge, so their ethics don’t count right now.

Come on ByteMe, you don’t really believe that and I know it. 🙂

Why don’t more people in the Republican Party hierarchy get this the way you do?

To answer your question, I think it’s a matter of reasoning and priorities. My personal beliefs are more important to me than my party affiliation. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m a Republican because it’s the closest party to my beliefs, but you and Doug and I all believe in certain underlying beliefs.

1 – Justice (or as close as we can get in this world) – and we might disagree on what that is, but we still want it.

2 – Right and wrong exist though sometimes it’s hard to tell which is which. We should strive to do what is right even though we know we’ll occasionally fail.

3 – Equal opportunity for all, fairness and a level playing field – all of which mean certain things but are closely related.

4 – Self determination – no one should attempt to force you to change your beliefs or stop you from telling the world what you believe. No one should be able to prevent you from attempting to achieve your dreams.

5 – Every human being deserves basic respect as a person.

If I have to choose between doing or saying what is right or following a party line, then I’ll try my best to do what is right and know that in the long run I’ve also benefited my party. If a people are party shills it shows and then their statements are doubted even when they are true.

Be loyal to your beliefs, do what you think is right and your party benefits in the long run – and we probably see less partisanship. Having said all of that, let me repeat that I’m just a person and I will fail at things and be wrong about things and when that happens, I pray I have the courage to admit I was wrong, apologize if needed, and go to the next task and again try to do right.

There are some good people who are too stubborn to admit a mistake even when they know they are wrong. Eventually, many people stop and rethink their positions. Don’t give up on them: many will come around.

6. Dave Bearse says:

A man in the leadership that really ought to not have made an appointment in his capacity as a placeholder selects a neighbor and also a man in the mold of Eric Johnson, again demonstrating that ethics leadership for Georgia leadership is about legalities, not ethical behavior. Bravo!

7. ACLOCKWORKORANGE says:

Burk was a “backdoor” specialist, always wheeling and dealing for something. He kissed Richardsons azz, just so he could have limited powers and have some say-so on certain chairmanship appointments. He knew all the stuff with Richardson was going on, and yet didn’t have the backbone to fight for his constiuents, or for the people of Georgia. Tom Graves, John Meadows, and a few others where “Blackballed” because they stood up for what was morally the right thing to do, vote your conscience,…not what people tell you to vote.