1. Harry says:

I don’t understand why the DOT board attempt to reverse their own staff and attempting to get a blessing from the attorney general wouldn’t be big news around here. I mean, it’s not like David Doss or any of these board members don’t have huge conflicts of interest in regards to spending up the contracts. Prudent financial planning evidently goes out the window with these guys. Time’s a wasting.

2. B Balz says:

@Icarus “Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are!!!”

~Larry, “The Cable Guy”

Le’ Onione’ strikes resonates with ‘everyman’ portraying lobbyists as greedy and sketchy players in the tapestry of politics. Given the last few months, who can blame them? Eh???

It is my hope that everybody recognizes the real work of good advocates who either volunteer or make their living working to affect laws beneficial to their cause.

We should all know that a the majority of paid and volunteer advocates are respectful and honest folks providing lawmakers and more importantly, the Legislative Staff (a.k.a.wonks/ettes), with factual information over time.

• Icarus says:

I guess I should have given a hat tip to the lobbyist (who has a great sense of humor) who sent this to me, but if any lawmakers knew she associated with the likes of Peach Pundit, she might be spending a lot of time learning about Michael Thurmond’s department.

Believe it or not, I have a lot of lobbyist friends, and I respect them and what they do. Same for most members of the General Assembly.

Like many things in life, it’s unfortunate that a few bad apples end up spoiling things for the rest.

3. Game Fan says:

Icky
    Looks like you beat me to it. 🙂 Just posted link on JKs site. I really had no idea but you did beat me on this one. (unless it’s a conspiracy and you reversed the comment clock over at WordPress International.) 🙂

4. John Konop says:

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

AJC-It appears that Gov. Sonny Perdue plans to raid the lottery proceeds used to fund the HOPE Scholarship and pre-k, something I dare say he would not do if he wasn’t about to get out of Dodge.

There is a lively e-mail exchange among supporters of pre-k, who discovered deep in the proposed budget that the governor is substituting lottery funds for state general revenues for about $34 million in special scholarships and tuition grants awarded by the state each year. (I am adding this note on Sunday; There is a great story on this HOPE issue in the Sunday AJC,.)

According to pages 348 to 350 of Perdue’s budget, it appears the governor is proposing to use lottery monies for such things as:

-The HERO scholarships -$800,000.

-Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program–$966,757

-North Ga. Military Scholarship Grants—$1,502,800 and

-North Georgia ROTC Grants–$652,479.

• ByteMe says:

I want plusses only. No minuses. That will solve Perkins’ complaint while still letting us express approval of better than usual comments.

• HowardRoark says:

Or maybe just don’t make comment’s disappear. OR, change the comment listings to top to bottom highest rankings to lowest.

• B Balz says:

I like comments because they help me validate points. If folks whose posts I respects red flag my comments, it makes me rethink wither my communication or logic skills, or lack thereof.

Comments should not disappear after five or any number of red flags.

Finally, for those that wish, I think it would be neat to see life time ratings.

5. IndyInjun says:

Georgia’ per capita debt and Unfunded Pension Liabilities are more than $9500 versus per capita income (before tax) of less than $34,000.

Today comes news of an apartment complex default that will saddle California, Florida, and “other” pensions with at least a $3.4 billion (70%) loss. Last week it was Morris Publishing forcing a 75% loss on its bondholders.

With returns plummeting and some assets taking 70% hits, how soon do we get to pensions taking everything every other state citizen owns?

Given the size of these numbers, isn’t who gets elected governor moot? None of them are talking about raising taxes or seriously slashing spending to offset the revenue shortfalls PLUS the pension and health care liabilities, each of which is taking an increasing slice of the budget every year and will continue to do so unless rectified.

In total, Forbes estimates that the states are in the hole over $3 trillion in the hole.

Have no fear, Obama is here with your next bailout and Isakson will sing its (not his) praises. (snark on max setting = “stun”)

Forbes Interactive Map of the States

• John Konop says:

IndyInjun,

You and I agree about the problem, but the solution is tough yet simple. The truth is many of the pensions, Medicare……we have could be adjusted with indexing based on life expectancy, fee increases and less coverage.

The real issue is the entitlements were never reserved properly according to private accounting standards. And they were allowed to gamble the money on risky investments like derivatives…to make up the shortfall rather than paas on true cost.

This trend can be reversed if both sides are honest with the American people instead of using this as a wedge issue to gain voters. The right can scream death panels and the left can scream we blew the money in Iraq why not spend more on healthcare all day. The truth is both sides are like spoiled kids refusing to deal with tough reality of what needs to be done.

6. IndyInjun says:

You are right.

100% of the people already have an ENTITLEMENT. They will kill over these things.

The numbers I am looking at say that entitlements, debt, money – the whole shooting match – are looking at 90% debasement through outright default or default via hyperinflation. When I first started predicting the meltdown, I figured 40%. Perhaps the people could have taken 40%, but 90% is impossible for the parties to accept, so that there will be warfare over who takes the hit.

The people – here and everywhere else – remain in a state of total denial that can only be eliminated by the ultimate collapse.

Sacrifice now could avert disaster. Too few know that sacrifice is even needed, because of the entitlement security blanket.

• ByteMe says:

Or we get a demographic “echo boom” and kick the can down the road further. The problem really is one of the number of workers to the number of people who can’t work, so adding new workers delays the issue.

7. HowardRoark says:

In other news, when you Google Brian Kemp’s name, it no longer shows up as “Brian Kemp for Agriculture Commissioner” I’m glad he finally gave up the campaign after being handed another job. Congrats, Brian!