Who Wants To Watch Basketball With A Bunch Of Guys Who Can’t Jump?

Whites only basketball league forms right here in good ‘ole Georgia.

The Augusta Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the All-American Basketball Alliance plans to kick off its inaugural season in June and hopes that Augusta will be one of 12 cities to host teams.

But here’s the kicker: According to a press release the newspaper and other Augusta media outlets received from the new league, “only players that are natural-born United State citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league.”

That’s right. Lewis, who calls himself the commissioner of the AABA, will exclude blacks and all foreigners from his new league, which the newspaper said will be based in Atlanta.

According to the Chronicle, Lewis said he wants to emphasize “fundamental basketball” instead of “street ball” played by “people of color.”

“There’s nothing hatred about what we’re doing,” Lewis told the paper. “I don’t hate anyone of color.”

Lewis pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas’ suspension for bringing a gun into the Washington Wizards locker room, and said, “Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?”

It’s good to know that white people never pull guns on others, flip people off, start fights, or grab their crotches.

1. griftdrift says:

There are times when I hear a tease for a story on radio or tv and I find myself muttering, “please don’t be Georgia, please don’t be Georgia, please don’t Georgia…”

2. AubieTurtle says:

How will anyone be able to tell the teams apart when they’re all wearing identical robes and hoods?

• Ken in Eastman says:

Before reading this, I wondered how many posts before someone suggested Ray McBerry for the new league commissioner. I guess this is close enough. I predicted 3 posts, but it took 12. Sadly, I was off by a factor of 4!

Doug, did you get my direct tweet to call me?

3. Rick Day says:

I…kinda like this. Especially if they play against the Harlem Globetrotters. And we all know that the street game infesting college and pro hoops today was all started by Fred ‘Curly’ Neal.

But ach, it will such an awfully boring thing to watch.

4. polisavvy says:

Oh, great. It’s now on Drudge. We look like the laughingstock of the country. Can’t wait for MSNBC to start on this one. Olbermann should have a field day with this one. By the way, did anyone see his rant last night? The only thing missing was a foaming mouth. Thanks, Mr. Lewis!

5. John Konop says:

I am starting a league for short middle age Jewish guys like myself who could have been great if we had talent. We will call the league “oy vey” I am sore. I am looking for some major investors please contact me if you are interested.

• ChuckEaton says:

As middle aged, fat, white guy, who spent a lot of years playing basketball, I can say nobody wants to watch the fundamentals of basketball; it’s boring. Just the excitment everybody wants to get back to: underhand freethrows, lots of perimeter passing and set-shots.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I remember the days when college basketball had no shot clock and the teams would basically hold the ball for the last 5 minutes. Boy, wasn’t that fun…

Maybe that’s why Bob Knight had to throw a chair way back when…to stir things up! Maybe he would make a good coach in this new league:)

6. Jeremy Jones says:

Well, I guess I had to become controversial at some point.

I like the idea. Not in principle, but in practice. I am sick of so many programs being only for this minority or that minority. I wholeheartedly agree at one time many such programs had their place, but we are no longer in that time. So long as minorities have their exclusive groups, I have no problem with non-minorities having theirs.

Now, as I try to avoid any such group, by choice or not, I will certainly not support his league financially, but I see no reason to not allow it. But, since groups and companies that even hint at discrimination, even if none exist, get the shakedown from Jessie Jackson et. al. I see this as having exactly 0% chance of working, I do not think we should get too worked up about it.

But, thank you, no matter how misguided you are, Mr. Lewis, for at least making a point with this crazy/stupid idea.

• appachtrail70 says:

How many exclusive groups do minorities have? We have white guys in the NBA. White kids watch BET. Anyone can join the NAACP.

7. Dawgfan says:

I know a this idea is going to piss a lot of people off, but the Legislature needs to get out in front of this and make it illegal, or at least pass a resolution condemning it. Yes, I agree there doesn’t need to be a law for everything, but this is just too damn embarrassing to just let go.

• Doug Deal says:

No, this should not be made illegal, but all the good and honorable people of Georgia should shame and embarrass anyone associated with it in any way.

Do you want to live in a free society, or not? The freedom of speech and the freedom of association is protected not to safeguard the popular but the idiots like these who have a right to hate anyone they want.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Yes, there are many stupid people in this state, but you just make it worse. They can justify themselves by pointing at you and rightfully saying, “At least we’re not that dumb!”

8. Clone Of B. Plyler says:

Hey Buzz, they already play this league in Ga. It’s called High School basketball in the North Georgia mountains !

9. Dave Bearse says:

I don’t figure him for a role, but will jab that the subject of this post ought to have been his territory.

10. Ken in Eastman says:

Will one of you please go do something really stupid, but less stupid than this so we can get off of Drudge’s page?

• Ken in Eastman says:

Maybe we could drop a fake press release claiming:

1 – to have found the missing climate change data?
        2 – (for the libs) Dick Chaney was on Ox’s hunting expedition?
        3 – John Stewart won a super secret wrestling match with Keith “Please adjust my meds” Olbermann and that’s why Olbermann apologized.

• ByteMe says:

To work best for Drudge’s audience, there has to be “conservatives under attack as they fight for our freedoms” mentality to the press release. There are other options, but this one works best.

Something like:

– Reagan’s remains stolen by Pelosi’s ninjas!
        – CNN invites Michele Bachmann on to discuss avoiding the census takers… and then disinvites her!

And so on.

11. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

African Americans plan to strike back by having their own TV network and beauty contest. There is even talk of having a segregated black only caucus in Congress.

Relax, this is just a plan. 🙂

12. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

This is one of those ridiculously stupid stories that deserves no attention or press. But sadly the way the world is, it gets it .

You have an idiot wanting attention. You have gullible white people with their overly sensitive guilt that don’t know how to chuckle, evaluate it as garbage and move on.

No, they have to put on the metaphoric red ribbon and try to correct past injustices at every corner by publishing how they feel . They have to charge and convict an entire State as being stupid an ignorant.

I think Martin Luther King would be ashamed of you white people for how they feel about his beloved Georgia. We have Detroit, New York and LA who has had their dead in the streets because of race issues but some redneck relating to Georgia makes a fool out of himself on camera and the entire state for generations to come and the past to is 98% stupid.

And in this case you have the freakin Internet and the media where all the really stupid players have the stage. 🙂