Brace yourself. Deal thinks he won the debate, as well. I know, I know, totally unexpected it is.

After learning about the declarations from Austin Scott and Eric Johnson regarding victory last night at the debate, Nathan Deal has declared victory, as well.

Head below the fold for all the self-delusion, dear friend.

Rising above petty barbs and innuendo, leading Republican Nathan Deal was the clear winner in Tuesday night’s GOP debate in Athens. Deal demonstrated why his proven, conservative experience uniquely qualifies him as the candidate with the courage to stop President Barack Obama where he can and lessen the pain Obama inflicts on Georgians at the national level with lower taxes, less government and a stronger economy here at home.

Deal also emphasized the importance of both keeping and attracting jobs in Georgia.

“I will be the face, I will be the ambassador, I will be a governor who goes out and tries to relocate jobs,” he said.

In his closing remarks, Deal stressed his experience at every level.

“I will be a governor who will serve with courage that is tempered by a servants heart,” he said.

“I promise to you that working together we can improve the quality of life for our state, brighten the future for our children, and we can make Georgia a beacon of prosperity for the rest of the nation.”

I must have been watching a different debate.

1. Jason Pye says:

No matter what Deal said last night, he will be remembered as the guy who wants to see Obama’s birth certificate.

That’s such an embarrassment.

• Silent Outrage says:

In all fairness, he just wanted to know where he could point his constituents to find verification that Obama was a citizen.

Perhaps Deal is so old he doesn’t realize that the State of Hawaii exists and that it’s Republican Governor has FURTHER verified Obama is a citizen.

For those of you who have further questions, perhaps you can help Mr. Deal out and give him a globe or map and point out where Hawaii is and explain its history of joining the Union and furthermore that people born in Hawaii are just as much citizens as someone born in Washington County, Georgia.

Deal Real Absurd.

• SouthGAConservative says:

There was a live poll on here during the debate while the commentary was running. Eric Johnson won by 42%, 2nd was Scott with either 23 or 28$, I think at closing it was 23….

No mention of that today I see.

2. Rick Day says:

Nathan Deal talks in phrases not sentences.

Example:

“I will be a governor who will serve with courage that is tempered by a servants heart,” ..BY….

“I promise to you that working together we can improve the quality of life for our state, brighten the future for our children, and we can make Georgia a beacon of prosperity for the rest of the nation…BY…”

Fill in the blanks, or gtfo.

• polisavvy says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. She basically gave non-answer answers. Not impressed with her performance at all. Did see two that caught my eye — Johnson and Scott. Of course, had the Ox been there it would have been an entirely different conversation today (laughter in the background).

• GOPGeorgia says:

At first glance, citizens for responsibility and ethics in Washington seems to be fairly even handed by picking 7 GOP and 8 Dems to call corrupt.

Melanie Sloan serves as CREW’s Executive Director. Prior to starting CREW in 2003, she served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Columbia. She currently serves on the legal team of Valerie Plame.[3]

However, I question their rankings. I acknowledge an ethics charge could land someone on this list. If it’s not been a case that’s been heard, does that make the charge any more valid? I would say it’s less valid under the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Marion Berry served six months in a federal penitentiary and is now on the Washington DC city council, but didn’t make the list.

Nancy Pelosi is not on the list for the number of planes, legislators, families of legislators, and staff that were flown to Copenhagen for the climate summit.

In 2009, Obama Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner admitted that he failed to pay $34,000 in Social Security and Medicare taxes from 2001-2004 on his lucrative salary at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), an organization with 185 member countries that oversees the global financial system. This man is now the Secretary of the Treasurery?

Barny Frank once had a gay lover running brothel out of his apartment. Frank received $42,350 in campaign contributions from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac between 1989 and 2008. Frank also engaged in a relationship with a Fannie Mae Executive while serving on the House Banking Committee, which has jurisdiction over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Sen. Chris Dodd his corrupt relationship with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and for accepting preferential treatment and loan terms from Countrywide Financial. Dodd remains the head the Senate Banking Committee.

I am not yet convinced that Deal is corrupt and if he is, he’s not one of the top 15 in DC. I’d like to see him go through hearings and either be declared innocent or guilty.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Hi Doug,

I am not at all convinced he is corrupt. For the sake of his campaign he needs to address the issue so he can move past it.

Also, I believe that website list consists solely of Congress members. FYI, I looked at a list of people who were formerly on the list, which seems to have begun in 2005. I question their non-partisanship.

Of the 9 US Senators formerly on the list, 8 were Republicans. Mary Landrieu is the only Democrat listed. Seven of the eight Republicans are no longer in office, either losing re-election bids or retiring. None were convicted of crimes, except Ted Stevens and due to misconduct by the prosecutor, his conviction was voided.

Of the 39 US Reps formerly on the list, 32 are Republicans. Of the 32 Republicans, two have been convicted of corruption-related offenses and one other is under indictment. Of the seven Democrats on the list, one has been convicted of corruption-related charges. One of those remaining in office is Georgia Democrat David Scott.

Including those convicted of crimes, 21 of the 32 Republicans are no longer serving in the US House. Some sought higher office and lost (e.g. Katherine Harris), some retired but many lost re-election bids.

Of the seven Democrats, only the convicted William Jefferson has lost his seat.

The moral of the story? GOP voters will turn on someone on the list, Democrat voters appear to not allow it to affect their votes. The site can damage Republicans, but not Dems. In fact, I think sometimes a conviction or guilty plea gives a Dem increased popularity – former judge and current idiot Alcee Hastings comes to mind.

3. John Konop says:

Could it be?

……Delusions are categorized as either bizarre or non-bizarre and as either mood-congruent or mood-neutral. A bizarre delusion is a delusion that is very strange and completely implausible……..

4. Pine Knot says:

None of them answered the questions in the “forum”. Deal didn’t do any worse than the rest. Eric Johnson looked the best IMO.

5. Three Jack says:

two questions for deal:

1. did you have an executive postion along with ownership stake in a company that relied upon a ga state contract for the vast majority of its revenues?

2. would you have gotten the state contract as a regular citizen sans the influence gained by being a u.s. congressman?

deal is done!