New Oxendine Stuff Even We Couldn’t Make Up

Six of the Seven announced Republican candidates for Governor met in Athens tonight for a Debate. The seventh, John Oxendine, couldn’t be bothered. We’re not sure if it’s because he was still trying to gain access to UGA playing Michigan State, or because he only accepts debate invitations to debates that don’t actually exist.

Another reason could be that he is still traumatized by his photo op of a hunting trip. It seems Oxendine needed to demostrate that he’s a real tough sportman guy, so he took his kids hunting.

The AJC brings us the details, which include:

1) A member of the hunting party was shot.

2) Ox still managed a positive spin on his tweet: “Hunting in North Georgia with my boys today and tomorrow. Hoping the weather improves, but a great time of being together.” Amazing since his “social media expert” is no longer with the campaign.

3) A great Dick Cheney non-comparison denial: “This was not a Dick Cheney situation,” Crim said, referring to a 2006 hunting accident in which the former vice president shot someone in his hunting party in the face.

4) That this avid sportsman doesn’t have a hunting licensce, nor do his sons, and

5) Remember that guy that Ox barely knew, though he appointed him twice to a position to oversee other insurance companies? You know, the one Ox said he didn’t know had illegally funnelled over $120K of campaign funds laundered through 10 Alabama based PACs before it ended up in Ox’s account? You remember him right? Well, he owned the land.

Ox. A gift that keeps on giving.

1. chefdavid says:

Seems as if we are always in a boundary dispute. Ox will be on wgow.com in the morning. This is a station out of Chattanooga. I bet it will come up. I think they said 10:00.
    If anyone gets and address
    Dade County’s Tax appraiser’s site is:
    Walker’s site is:

It will be interesting to see where it happened and on whose property.
    I am guessing it happened up on Lookout Mt. Once famous for Rock City but soon to be famous for this.
    I’ve got some feelers out.

• chefdavid says:

I am talking about Rock City being famous for being on Lookout not that it happened there. This should prove to be some great tv ads as the primary gets closer.

2. Lawful Money says:

Well – my summer 2009 prediction has been proven wrong.

Oxyclean didn’t self-destruct & turn himself into a laughing stock 3-alarm embarrassment by Christmas 2009.

It took him about a month longer than that….and it looks like he’s going to insist on making his departure a smoldering spectacle of disturbing and shameless idiocy for months.

Anyone ready to focus on life & liberty yet?

Or, should we talk about Nathan Deal referring to someone as a “ghetto grandmother”…… or how many times Karen “Bring It On Unless It’s Something Inconvenient” Handel can repeat the same brainless redundancies until June?

• AubieTurtle says:

If McBerry is thinking about a third party bid, he might want to wait a bit since the GOP nomination could be his by default.

• Joshua Morris says:

Funny. People act as if Deal coined the ‘ghetto grandmother’ term. He merely referred to a term used in urban communities (as well as by comedian Billy Robinson[2008], author Will Metzger [2002], author and urban minister Bart Campolo [2008], and even in a Time Magazine political article in 1972–I could go on…) and gets skewered over it. It was a poor choice of words, but it’s not what uninformed people have made of it.

• Icarus says:

I was among the first to give Deal a pass on the comment as an unfortunate slip/gaffe/whatever.

Then, a few days later, he used the opportunity to rescind his apology and blame the lib’ral media for quoting him out of context – in a fundraising email.

1) He’s using the term to raise money, and

2) He has yet to provide a proper context where the term could be considered acceptable.

The term is now Nathan Deal’s. He owns it, and he’ll have to keep it.

3. anewday says:

I wonder how this stuff gets out. If I was the Oxendine campaign I would have made sure that this remained on the property.

• chefdavid says:

Just spoke with someone at Dade 911 it didn’t go through them according to one dispatcher. This person was working Sunday. But I haven’t talked to the director to see if it was just something that person didn’t know about.

• John Konop says:

I think this why it got out.

AJC……Hill said DNR continues to investigate the incident, although her information said the shooting took place in adjacent Walker County. Walker County officials said an accidental shooting involving Oxendine’s party occurred in Dade County.

Crim said neither Oxendine nor his sons had hunting licenses, but they were hunting on a licensed quail preserve and did not need them. Oxendine has previously been licensed but did not get a license this year, Crim said.

According to the DNR Web site, however, “resident hunters age 16 years and older are required to have a hunting license, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family, blood or dependent relationship, residing in the same household.”

Crim said Oxendine was hunting on land owned by a partnership that includes Delos “Dee” Yancey III, a Rome insurance executive……

• Ken in Eastman says:

Someone still had to link Oxendine’s name with the incident. If neither he nor his sons were directly involved, then someone made sure the connection made the press.

4. anewday says:

Understood but I would still try to keep it under wraps as best as possible. But I do see why they would be pre-emptive.

5. trainsplz says:

It’s nice he was out with the boys. I can forgive him not getting a license – I probably wouldn’t have either. But he’s still hanging with that schmuck? I guess he’s dumb and crooked in equal measure.

• chefdavid says:

Well he couldn’t have bought beer on Sunday, not allowed. But he could have droped right over the border into TN and bought some and then they could have had some real fun. Why didn’t somebody ask a real question in the debate tonight about how they feel about Sunday sells?

• macho says:

I think GA should allow Sunday sales. That being said, it ranks about 20th on the scale of important issues that currently face this state.

• appachtrail70 says:

I give him props for not getting a license. Paying the govt so you can hunt is insane. But the man is still a crook.

• Donna Locke says:

I’ve been back in Tennessee for 7 years, but from time to time I still recall “Boo got shot.”

As for the topic here, I have to say what I said when “infrequent hunter” Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam (a Republican running for Tenn. governor) decided to keep his son company on a shooting trip and bought all the hunting licenses except the main required one and ended up firing a gun and thinking he may have killed a duck(s) but he wasn’t sure and thinks the other hunters may have just been charitable in saying so.

What I said was, it takes a special absence of conscience to kill an animal for sport.

6. Ida Claire says:

Correct me if I’m wrong and I may be because I wasn’t entirely paying attention to the news in the background, but I believe I just overheard Brenda Wood on 11Alive say Ox was shot in the face and leg on Sunday. Can’t find a link for it on their site.

7. Making Sense says:

If you were to make up the story about “the Ox” people would never believe it…

GA Democrats are drooling at the prospect that Republicans would nominate Ox… The man is completely unelectable.

How can he claim to be such a big believer in the 2nd Amendment and tote himself as a sportsman if he doesn’t even understand or exercise proper sportsmen safety? He needed a hunting license and, if it weren’t for the fact that his interest in hunting is a sham, he’d have one. He put his kids safety at risk by what he did.

Now, the other issue, he was hunting on the property of the guy who funnelled over $120,000 in illegal contributions to his campaign. A guy that he claimed, “not to know very well”. Obviously he knows him well enough to go hunting on his “private quail reserve”.

I don’t even know what will be next on Ox because it’s all getting a little out there. I mean, I suppose if you were to tell me that he robbed banks to fund his campaign for Governor, I guess I wouldn’t even be surprised.

• macho says:

A guy that he claimed, “not to know very well”. I’m guessing the official Ox campaign position is that Ox felt bad that he “didn’t know very well” a guy who gave him $120,000, so the hunting trip was an opportunity to get to know him better.

8. Republican Lady says:

If Oxendine is this careless in his free time, how careless is he in office when he isn’t red-lighting it to some fire? I think he is the perfect example of the “Peter Principle” a popular book back in the seventies where someone is promoted or in this case, elected, to his level of incompetency. John take you and your sons to a firearms safety course before someone is killed.

Do we need to keep him in office? I think not since Maria Sheffield is ready and willing to take his spot with her knowledge, ethics, and experience. The Ox is his own worse enemy. Stay tuned for more examples. that I am sure he will provide.

9. Chris says:

Ox is surely a man of the people. Mixing margaritas on a yacht at the GOP convention. Hunting with his boys on a private quail reserve. Getting sweetheart loans from his banking buddies.

10. NorthGAGOP says:

Ox,
    Now would be the right time to do what you have done every other time you tried to step up. DROP OUT.

11. macho says:

Somebody on Ox’s staff needs to tell the Ox to stay away from Yancey. Every time they’re caught hanging out together, Yancey’s $120,000 campaign contribution will end up back in the news. It shouldn’t be hard for Ox to have a brief separation, since “he doesn’t know Yancey that well.”

• Ken in Eastman says:

Isn’t this where you go get more popcorn? Maybe even make some s’mores over the smoldering ashes?

• Icarus says:

The man has a 90% name ID with GOP primary voters, and has 28% of the vote (according to December polls). That’s in a field of 7, where the next nearest competitor had barely over 50% name ID. And almost half were “undecided”.

Ox isn’t winning, and he will not pick up the votes of those who already know about him but don’t want to vote for him.

12. IndyInjun says:

At least we know he was hunting. Something got shot.

I can’t believe I am typing this, but two years ago I thought Mark Sanford was the most honorable politician in America.

Then he lied about dove hunting in Argentina and later lied about hiking. He wasn’t hunting or hiking, but humping. Now Ox is a degree ahead of Mark Sanford.

Ox can count this as an Indy ‘compliment’

Cherish it. There probably won’t be any more.

13. As Fire Marshall, he needs to discharge his gun from time to time to ensure people are not too crowded and can escape in case of a fire.

That is all that happened here.

This lib’ral Icarus Pundit needs to stop hating on Oxendine, so that we may be graced with his viewership once more . .

14. chefdavid says:

Ox on WGOW Chattanooga.
    He did not shoot the person.
    “People that do a lot of hunting know that sometimes people are going to get peppered.”
    Person just got peppered in the leg. Got a tetnus shot was sent home by the doctor and is fine.
    He told the debate people over a month ago he was not going to make it. He is not going to do every debate.
    Ox said lets try and work out the water in the TN River. If he couldn’t work out a agreement with the TN Governor let’s just take TN to the Supreme Court.

• Icarus says:

On the hunting thing, he used passive voice, and gave only very general details, refusing to name names or exactly where they were, save to say it was a licensed hunting preserve.

He did say he had spoken to the DNR commissioner to see what the report was going to say. How many people get to have inside information from the DNR commissioner before they discuss an incident report?

Perhaps more importantly, Ox referred to the person who was shot as “a good friend”. There was some speculation on the comments yesterday that the person who was peppered was Yancey himself.

If true, the person Ox barely knew when he illegally laundered $120K on behalf of Ox just became a “good friend”.

• AubieTurtle says:

After twenty years of losing court battles, it’d be nice to have someone with a different potential solution. Yes, the Tennessee issue is different than the Lake Lanier issue but still… we’ve had plenty of time to come up with something else instead of continually doubling down after each loss.

• Nathan says:

I was listening, but I didn’t pay attention too much because I’m doing other things. Did he take any questions from callers while he was on the air?

• Tinkerhell says:

This is the biggest load of Bullshyte I’ve ever heard. I’ve met him a couple of time and I dont’ like the man. This just reconfirms my opinion of him. I hunted a bit in my youth and my father did so for decades. I grew up witha pack of bird dogs in my back yard during my first 15 years. Neither dad, myself nor any of his hunting buddies ever came home “peppered”. maybe The Ox expects this kind of thing but no hunter I know of does. What an asshat.

This guys claims to be a GCO supporter too. I really wish he wouldn’t…

• Doug Deal says:

Perhaps his statement should have been rewritten as

“People that do a lot of hunting and don’t bother to become familiar with or practice safety rules know that sometimes people are going to get peppered.”

This man is Insurance Commissioner and in charge of Fire Marshalls? Really?

15. IndyInjun says:

According to the report, the shooting took place about 4:15 p.m. Sunday when the five hunters flushed out a quail. The bird flew over the party and toward a group of observers about 30 yards away. The report says four hunters fired at the bird.

FIVE armed hunters quail hunting, two of them Oxendine’s inexperienced sons? Five experienced adults is too many gunners on a quail hunt.

On top of this there was a group of “observers” 30 yards away?

This was an incredibly irresponsible set up.

When you hunt like that, you NEED insurance.

I feel for the boy. He should not have been in that position.

• AubieTurtle says:

I’m starting to wonder if Ox’s boys were just window dressing for his attempts to look like a good ol’ boy. His attempt to get the football vote backfired when it came out that he didn’t even know which bowl UGA was playing in. Now he’s trying to play up the “I’m a hunter” angle and it ended up [blowing up in his face/with him being shot in the foot/backfiring/etc].

Who were in the group of observers? Were they there to take campaign photos or just hanging out because that’s what they do on Sunday afternoons?

Guess it’s true that you can take the man out of the country club but you can’t take the country club out of the man.

16. IndyInjun says:

Aubie wrote ‘Were they there to take campaign photos’

I wondered that, too. If that was the case, those pictures won’t see the light of day.