Evans Drops Out Of 9th Congressional Race

Frees up time to lobby full time for Obama Stimulus dollars.

Press Release is as follows:

It is no big secret that the economy is the most significant issue facing our country and every family in north Georgia. The irresponsible actions of the Obama/Pelosi/Reid team have only made matters worse. My profession, real estate development, has been especially hard hit. Many good friends of mine have gone bankrupt and others, like me, have struggled to hang on financially.

When I first entered this race for Congress, I thought I would have the financial wherewithal to campaign full time and maintain my financial obligations in this very tough market. Over the last couple of months, that has been increasingly difficult. Instead of campaigning or raising campaign funds, my time has been consumed with outside work trying to provide for my family and pay for two children in college and another headed to college soon.

Reassessing our financial position over the holidays forced Gena and I to face the hard reality that campaigning full time for the next six to 10 months will cause irreparable financial harm to my family.

So, today, I regretfully announce that I am withdrawing from the race for the 9th Congressional District. (emphasis added)

Admittedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I have been deeply honored to have the support of so many quality people all across north Georgia. They have invested their time, money and sweat in standing up for the principles that have made our country so great.

While I will always stand with them for those principles, I am sorry that I cannot continue to stand for them as their candidate for Congress. For those who have volunteered their time and efforts, I will always remain deeply thankful. For those who have contributed their hard earned money in these tough times, I humbly thank you.

I will never give up the fight for our conservative values and freedoms. Now more than ever, we need a true conservative voice in Washington. We must hold our leaders to account for their records. Words, brochures and promises are no longer enough. We must demand more out of those who seek to represent us, and we must fight for the freedoms that liberal Democrats and compromising Republicans are destroying. As a voter, that is the standard I will use to vote for my next member of Congress. I encourage everyone in the 9th District to do the same.

Standing Strong for Freedom,

Mike Evans

1. appachtrail70 says:

Mike is a nice guy. I just think it is obvious to all that Tom Graves is clearly the best candidate. Once he proved his viability, Mike’s fundraising numbers started to drop. It is a hard time for everyone though, I wish Mike the best.

2. chefdavid says:

If this has been verified as Evans just commented on twitter:
    “Join me as Sam Olens, ARC Chairman, speaks at the Dawson Chamber meeting on Jan. 14 at 12:00 PM
    about 1 hour ago ”
    If it is true I wish him the best. What will be very interesting is who will Mullis get behind. I have been from Graves from the beginning. Their are a lot of candidates from Jeff’s side of the hill. Who will the local polititians get behind now?

• Ramblinwreck says:

Oh, you think? Jeff Mullis will be behind anyone who doesn’t reside in the western part of the district. Can’t have the new Congressional seat Georgia will get after the 2010 census with an incumbent in it in 2012 now can he?

• AthensRepublican says:

I stick by my original statement. They do tend to stick together in their endorsements regardless of whether there are other reasons.

• Captain_Phatbeard says:

I agree with Macho. Senator Pearson is supporting Graves for the exact same reason; he wants no incumbent in the East for the 2012 race.

• appachtrail70 says:

I don’t think it matters. The endorsement of Mullis and the rest of his crew proved meaningless. An endorsement from Evans would be slightly more substantial.

• chefdavid says:

Not to attack you but, if that is what you think, then I have to disagree. Mullis early on tried to get commissioners to sign on and endorse Evans, right after he announced. I had reservations. He did come to one of our GOP meetings. But why should we endorse him just because an elected official said he was a good old boy. I think that is part of the problem. Look at the person’s running record or talk to them. That is what I did. I think the people are tired of the same old politics and are ready for some new. We are tired of the same ole same ole press statements where we pat each other on the backs.
        I don’t think an endorsement for any canidate would mean anything in my county.

3. GOPGeorgia says:

I’ve sent Mike Evans an E-mail congratulating him for a strong run. He had quite a few elected officials and leading citizens endorsing his run. I hope his efforts have improved the GOP base here and it will be interesting to see who picks up his supporters. It might be even more interesting if, later on, Mike decided to endorse someone.

4. Joshua Morris says:

Just saw Mike speak in Gainesville last Saturday. He said nearly as much about Bobby Reese as he did about himself. Now I guess I know why.

5. Captain_Phatbeard says:

That exploding sound you just heard was the phone system in Forsyth County. With Evans now officially out (this had been rumored for months there) that’s going to be a very interesting county to watch.

6. Tyler says:

I wish Mike and his family all the best. I’ll be praying for them in these tough times. He ran a tough campaign. Good luck, Mike.

7. we need a woman front-page poster says:

I’ll be praying that a few more drop out so we won’t have to go into a run off. πŸ˜‰