MacGinnitie Shows No Fear; Starts New Year With $700,000 Cash On Hand

Doug MacGinnitie’s disclosure for the year end filing period should end any doubt that he intends to not only remain in the race for Secretary of State, but remain a formidable opponant for Brian Kemp. Kemp received a belated Christmas gift from the Governor last week, being appointed to the position that he and MacGinnitie were already contesting.

Doug sent out a press release upon the announcement that Kemp Jim Cole was the Governor’s pick to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Karen Handel. In it, he said that the reasons he entered the race had not changed, and that he believes he was still the best person for that job.

Doug reaffirmed his commitment during a morning phone call, and discussed his decision to add some of his own funds to the amount he has raised from donors. We discussed that one of his reasons he got into politics was his frustration that the “common person” with talent and ability was being frozen out of a process that had become unfair and designed to answer to and reward those connected to the insiders. Recent events have only strengthened his resolve.

He said he’s putting more personal funds into this race than he originally intended, but felt if he was going to ask supporters to join him against the establishment, he needed to demonstrate that he was willing to give it his all.

He said he is also reaffirmed at the reaction that he has received since the events of last weekend transpired. Not only has no one asked him to leave the race, many of his supporters have found new energy and strengthened their commitment to the race because of the governor’s actions.

For those that bought the argument that appointing Kemp was a good way to avoid a costly primary in a down ballot race, it is now clear you were wrong. This race has now grown in stature, and the intensity has grown from supporters of both men.

But my suspicion is that the reasons Kemp’s folks wanted to avoid a primary had nothing to do with conserving funds for top tier races. It probably had a lot more to do with the fact that Doug was connecting and continues to resonate with voters.

1. I Am Jacks Post says:

Icarus, you are gleaming beacon of impartiality.

” . . . decision to add some of his own funds to the amount he has raised from donors.”

Yeah, I suppose that’s right, if by “some of his own funds” you mean enough money to buy two decent size houses.

Doug shows a total of raised $550,ooo, of which about $120,ooo from people not named “Doug MacGinnitie.”

Oh, and in what alternate universe is someone who can cut their campaign a check for $450,000 considered a “common person”?

Well, I suppose it’s really good news for his vendors.

I know, I know. Red checks. Let’s have it.

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

An alternate take on Icarus’s headline:

“MacGinnitie Shows He’s Rich, Invokes Forbes Campaign; Starts New Year $450,000 Lighter.”

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Yeah, that’s me. Class warfare guy.

Dumping 450k into your own race shows nothing about commitment or integrity. It merely shows you have the money.

And, FWIW, I was merely pointing out the profound contradiction in Doug’s flack suggesting that Doug is a “common man, albeit this “common man” can pony up $450k the night before filing deadline.

• HowardRoark says:

Hey, pal….reguardless of where Doug’s money comes from, it looks like you need to start cutting your boy some checks.

• Mozart says:

Fascinating viewpoint offered by Jack’s Post: If you are good enough at swindling others to donate money to your campaign to run for office, that equals Good.

If you put your own money in, that equals Bad.

3. BuckheadConservative says:

Way to go Doug! In it to win it. Glad to see someone step up and put it on the line. Putting their money where their mouth is and taking these guys head on.

4. JSBarrington says:

True to form, Doug Mac proves he doesn’t have a clue and that he is motivated by nothing but an arrogant pursuit of a job he doesn’t have the business to have.

If you look at this report objectively, you will see that Doug VIOLATED state election laws by putting in a $430k loan AFTER the Dec 31st reporting deadline. He shows he put in the loan on Jan 7th.
    This guy violates state election laws and he thinks he has any business overseeing the integrity of the GA election process? Wow. Haha

And he wonders why he wasn’t appointed?

God help us!

• HowardRoark says:

Your first statement says so much about you and the whole “establishment” group. What business does Brian Kemp have in the SoS office? A lame Senator and statewide primary loser….that’s mighty impressive of a resume.

• Doug Deal says:

Yeah, over reporting on a disclosure is an ethics violation. Oh my God. How dare he give MORE information than is required. Someone call the State Patrol and round up these scofflaws.

If this is your view of what constitutes and ethics violation, I can see why you have no problem backing Brian “Perdue’s Do-Boy” Kemp.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

It’s not over reporting. It’s a finance violation. Doug dropped his piggy bank and pulled out $350,000 the night before the filing deadline, which also happened to be 8 days after you were legally permitted to raise money.

So why would loan himself $350,000 the night before the filing deadline rather than wait to feature it on the the next report? Because he knew his $120,000 from people not named Doug MacGinnitie wasn’t going to cut it.

It’s not a noble move, Doug.

• Doug Deal says:

How is it illegal for him to raise money? Please site the code violation.

I was thinking about making this a webinar, but I will let you in on my very own secrets to better blog posting.

Step one, make sense.
          Step two, don’t be a worthless shill.

You’re welcome.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Why do we have reporting deadlines if they’re not really deadlines? Why does every candidate send out a “we’ve only got two days left to raise money” email, if they can really dump a trust fund into their account the night before the filing deadline if they so desired?

• Doug Deal says:

The point of the deadline is so that you actually report your contributions.

You might have secret knowledge about what these reports are for that will completely cancel out reality as it is known for the rest of us, but these reports are not designed for reporting of money raised by candidates to impress the lobbyists like Kemp appears to believe it is for. They are so voters can see where a candidate is getting his money and what he is spending it on.

Mac has done that. What is your problem other than the fact the Governor’s “do-boy” has a PR problem with his back room deal with Sonny. The only question left in the voter’s mind is what Kemp is going to give Sonny in return.

• RuralDem says:

There was a big fuss made a few months back when Baker filed his Gubernatorial disclosure and had a number of contributions listed after the filing deadline.

There’s nothing illegal about it.

“The bottom line is that the State of Georgia only wants contributions and expenditures listed that occur during the reporting period.”

As long as you report the contributions and expenditures received and made during the reporting period, the State of Georgia does not care if you list other information.

That is, unless you can point to the law where it specifically says you cannot list anything else.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I guess you missed Lawton’s comment below.

FYI § 21-5-34, is Offical Code of Georgia Annottated, or in otherwords, a law.

It says says that contributions and expenditures shall be reported for the applicable reporting cycle. Keyword: APPLICABLE (not what should be on the next report)
            *****************************
            For the curious of what the 2009 Georgia Ethics in Government Act says:

§ 21-5-34. Disclosure reports

(b)(1) All reports shall list the following:

(D) Total contributions received and total expenditures made as follows: (i) Contributions and expenditures shall be reported for the applicable reporting cycle;

Just to be clear: A contribution can also consist of a loan, advance, or other extension of credit.

Link: http://ethics.georgia.gov/references/pdf/EthicsInGovernmentAct.pdf

5. Technocrat says:

Amazing that self funding people don’t realize that State Insurance/Fire/Comptroller Comm is the best job, from being forced to constantly travel around State visiting disasters and those in pain voters. ‘I’m here to listen to your pain and to secure your future votes.’

15 years of SHOWING UP counts with many people.

If you are going to invest your private money, select an office that is meaningful for the future and has state wide benefits.

6. Georgia Judge says:

Ic,
    You are KIDDING right???? How about a disclosure stating you are the President of the Doug Club,unreal.Anyone who has an hour worth of experience in politics understands that Doug having to inject this much of his own money into this race is bad on many levels. Im surprised, as I stated earlier its not just the numbers in disclosures that paint the picture of a healthy campaign its the geographical coverage and it looks like Doug grades out poorly in this area as well.

Doug has a good team working for him and Im sure they will run a good race,but this disclosure has to be disconcerting.

7. Sandy Springs GOP says:

I’ll say it again, I support Doug and I want to vote for him, but Doug, please listen to me. You can’t break the rules so your campaign can come on a blog and claim victory. this office is about protecting elections. You disqualify yourself when break the rules for personal gain. yes, it’s minor, it’s technical….but isn’t that the point? You’re supposed to always uphold the highest standard.

I warned you of this before. If you are going to continue, you need to hire some real professionals to run your race (not these compromise everything to win hacks) and apologize for this small but very disappointing stunt.

Please listen this time Doug.

Do the right thing Doug. People are watching and waiting.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Hey, man…chill out. I wouldn’t take what JSB says seriously. He’s a shill. As far as I know, there isn’t anything unethical about reporting money early. If anything, I would say it’s a good thing. More info is always better.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

It’s not “more info.” He illegally inflated his fundraising total with money that should not have been counted.

And to see a guy who’s running to be the elections sheriff do this . . .

• Doug Deal says:

Re-read SSGOP’s post again. He is a shill too. He is using that old, tired “I am really a supporter X, but I can’t support X anymore because of some ridiculous reason.” routine that those “seminar” callers use.

If he is so serious, how about identifying himself and proving he supports Mac?

8. Sandy Springs GOP says:

It’s ma’am, not man.

And that’s the silly spin i’m talking about. He’s done this before and he ignored those of us who really wanted to help him early. He hired a bunch of kids with no wisdom and now look what that’s got him!

Doug, please step back from the ledge. This office is not worth compromising your integrity.

• Doug Deal says:

Whatever “man”.

When you come on as a shill for a candidate and pretend to be a supporter for the candidate you are attacking, you aren’t nothing more than someone dressed up in drag anyway.

• Doug Deal says:

Where did icarus ever claim to be unbiased? He would be the first to tell you he isn’t. That does not mean he isn’t fair.

I have spoken a great number of times with Icarus, and I can tell you that first and foremost he cares about this state and cares a great deal about the direction of the GOP. He does not comment on corruption or shady deals like Kemp’s appointment to SoS because he backs MacGinnittie, he comments on them because he thinks they are inherently wrong and do damage to the state and his party.

Personally, I went from neutral to being decidedly pro-MacGinnittie because of the absolutely shoddiness of his appointment to SoS by a lousy governor who obviously does not care one thing about this state or his party. From that perspective, everything that Icarus has said makes complete sense to me.

• BuckheadConservative says:

I apologize for that. Let me rephrase.

There isn’t anything legally or ethically wrong with reporting money early (as far as I know, unless laws have recently changed). The statement by JSB was a straw man put up to try to distract from good news for Doug’s campaign. That isn’t spin. That’s real.

I’ve helped Doug out a good bit, and I can promise you he is committed to doing it right. I also know his workers, who are smart guys who work hard.

I’m just relieved that Doug’s decided to fight on. And in a big way. With these resources, this race just got a lot more exciting. A lesser man would have just taken his resources and gone home. Doug’s decided to use his to fight for the grassroots. That’s admirable.

I’ll see you on the campaign trail. If I haven’t already.

9. Georgia Judge says:

Doug D,
    Its just like all those post about being Kemp supporters until he got the appointment and now out of love for God and country I must now support Doug………
    If you are a Kemp guy say it,if you are a Doug guy say it.The problem is the entire PP team are Doug supporters and the site’s impartiality flew South many months ago.

BTW for full disclosure Im a KEMP guy.

10. jackson says:

Doug Deal, you are surprised there are “shills” on here for various campaigns? Your posting on one of their (ICARUS) threads.

I always find it silly when people beat up on “shills” for supporting one campaign, when both campaigns have “shills” on here. Anyone that doesn’t know that doesn’t have any business posting on a political blog.

Buckhead Conservative, not to be critical but “as far as I know” isnt evidence that you are right. The law is clear. Do I care that he gave himself money? No. But the point is running for Chief Elections officer. Whether its minor or not, the point that its a violation.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Well, for the record I can’t support a guy for Chief Elections Officer who begs for Sonny to give him a hand out of a hot primary. Brian Kemp doesn’t have a bit of respect for the elections process, or appearently himself.

• N. Fulton Conservative says:

Jackson,

Props. I don’t care if he puts money in the race. I wouldn’t advise it, but if that is what he wants to do, it’s his prerogative.

Where are all the people who were saying Kemp should not have taken the appointment so as to avoid appearing unethical? Double standard? I have NO idea if what he did is illeagal or not. Is it at least questionable though?

11. Part-Time Atlanta says:

I assume the guy vetted the decision to make sure it was legal before making a move with that much $$$…but maybe not. Either way, why doesn’t someone just man up and make your complaint formal by putting your name on an ethics complaint–it has to be your real name though–guess that means no one will be filing.

Part time,

This disclosure is for you. My name is Doug Grammer. I didn’t file an ethics compliant when Baker did it, and I’m not filing one against Doug.

12. GOPGeorgia says:

I’m not going to comment on Doug’s over – disclosure. I will say I like him and I still may vote for him. Instead I’ll recap what I said about another candidate back in July of 09. I made three posts, if you want them in context, go back and read.

Baker over-reports by $274k
    by Jason Pye on July 8, 2009

The question is, when he files his end of the year disclosures, does he start from July 8? I know he shouldn’t report the contributions twice, and adding on to the year to date contributions that are filed on this report. Does he have any contributions from July 1 to July 7 that are not showing on this report?

I know he wanted to show how much money he raised, but what he has shown is that he can’t follow the instructions for filing disclosures. He could have just issued a press release stating that in the first 7 days of July, yada yada yada. It tells me that he can’t color inside the lines. It tells me that he has his own disclosure guidelines and everyone else has another. It tells me that if he is Gov., he might take the attitude of “I know all of you hard working people of Georgia are getting ready to file your income tax and send you portion to Georgia. I know it’s for the reporting period of January 1 to December 31, but can you follow my lead and add on another weeks income, for the first 7 days of the new year? That’s the way I file my taxes, and the department of revenue and ethics have no complaints about the way I do it.”

If I were him, I would file an amended report to show how much money he raised in the same period as everyone else.

*****************************

Wiki entries are not a legal document signed under oath that they are true to the best of someone’s knowledge.

****************************

That’s the exact value of our complaining now. If we can point out, before the election, that some of these people can’t follow the rules or are being dishonest, then our discussions have value.

13. Reality Check says:

Two things that are truths and you can take them for what they are worth. D. Mac. didn’t follow the rules of the reporting guide lines that he is required to do annnnddddd there are people that work for PP that also work for the MacGinnitie campaign. There is no spinning that but I see some are trying to do so. LAME

14. Sandy Springs GOP says:

doug has listened to bad advice and is being dishonest. he should do the right thing. amend the report. issue a press release apologizing for the error. and hire some adult professionals.

He shouldve listened from the start.

15. Reality Check says:

BuckheadConservative – It is apparently clear that you are either working for MacGinnitie or you really do have no idea about how Kemp got appointed. I am guessing its both.

• BuckheadConservative says:

I like how when someone says something inconvenient for you, you assume they work for Doug. I’m a politically active, lowly marketing professional in Atlanta who met Doug at an AYR meeting. I thought he was a really impressive guy with a resume that is on par with anyone running for statewide office (in fact, better than most) Since we need more people like him in politics, so I decided to help him out. I defend him on here because A.) I support his candidacy, and B.) his opponent’s people are so visceral with their attacks on here. I know, this is probably a lot to take in, but it’s all true.

As for Kemp’s anointing, it’s not exactly a secret how he got the job. Folks talk.

• Reality Check says:

Well since it’s not “exactly secret” why don’t you enlighten those of us who obviuosly have no clue. Please tell us how? In fact why don’t you post it on the front page backed up with your facts?

16. Lawton Sack says:

For the curious of what the 2009 Georgia Ethics in Government Act says:

§ 21-5-34. Disclosure reports

(b)(1) All reports shall list the following:

Link: http://ethics.georgia.gov/references/pdf/EthicsInGovernmentAct.pdf

17. Sandy Springs GOP says:

Mr. Sack, you’re missing the point. It’s not what, but when. Teh report is for the applicable reporting cycle which ended December 31. Doug should not have shown a contribution or a loan after that, which is what in fact he did just to score some cheap political points.

Yes, it’s minor, but we should expect a higher standard out of someone running to oversee elections that he comply with the clear standards of the elections rules.

• Lawton Sack says:

I simply posted what the Ethics in Government Act states, which actually supports what you were saying. I made no comments.

To state again what the act says:

Contributions and expenditures shall be reported for the applicable reporting cycle.

• Lawton Sack says:

🙂 Just trying to be helpful. I read through 20 pages to get to that part and was trying to save some people the hassle of trying to dig through the act to find it.

I think the part where I was trying to clarify what a contribution could include may have thrown her off. No harm, no foul.

• RuralDem says:

Lawton,

“(i) Contributions and expenditures shall be reported for the applicable reporting cycle;”

I don’t think it’s a good idea to list anything outside of the cycle, but, nowhere does it say you cannot do so. Yes, it looks strange and it’s very unusual. Yes, it looks bad when it’s done to simply beef up your numbers. However, it’s legal. Odd, but legal.

• RuralDem says:

GOPGeorgia,

I SEE THE WORD.

The way I read it, it ensures that a candidate will report any and all contributions, loans, expenditures, etc, for said cycle. Nowhere does it state a candidate cannot “inflate” their numbers by listing something outside the cycle.

But hey, if you’re so adamant that it’s illegal, then you’ll surely notify us when you file your complaint. Right?

• GOPGeorgia says:

I might, but I’d go after Baker too.

I may have to call Doug on this.

• RuralDem says:

“I may have to call Doug on this.”

Call as in pick up the phone and ask him, or call as in filing the complain against him and Baker? If they’ve done something illegal, why hold back 🙂

“It doesn’t say you can’t have a lobbyist pay for a lap dance if your are in the state legislature, but people seem to frown on that.”

Sure they frown on it, but that has nothing to do with the issue we’re discussing. Try to stay on topic. I’ll stand by what I said until you can show me somewhere that states its illegal.

• GOPGeorgia says:

As in file. However, I will chat with him before I do to see if he can convince me I am wrong.

• RuralDem says:

“However, I will chat with him before I do to see if he can convince me I am wrong.”

Figures. Something tells me if there were two Democrats doing this that you’d file first and ask questions later.

Anyway, keep us updated!

• GOPGeorgia says:

I’ve only filed two ethics complaint before and they were dismissed. (Two at the same time, similar violations by two candidates. I’m still unhappy about that, and if I file one again, it will be with the intent of going through and finding whomever I complain against guilty.

• RuralDem says:

“I would chat with an election law lawyer or two before I filed as well. If the ethics commission had already gave an advisory opinion, that would cause me not to file.”

I’m sure you can go and look at the SEC’s website to find an opinion on it (if they gave one).

My point is you’ve insinuated that Baker and MacGinnitie are not abiding by Georgia law. Instead of researching it before hand, you’re simply throwing the accusation out there without any evidence that they’ve failed to adhere to state laws regarding disclosure filing.

I’d consider that a pretty strong accusation against two credible candidates.

• GOPGeorgia says:

The evidence is out there and blatant. However, I’m not 100% sure is rises to the point of an infraction that would find them guilty of a violation. If I were 100% certain, I would file without asking anyone questions. It’s not a baseless concern or even an attack. I read the law one way, and you and they read it another.

I complained about it then, and it would be a hypocrite if I didn’t at least complain about this now. Even if it’s not an actual violation, there’s nothing wrong with me standing up and saying I don’t like this. That’s three quarters of the types of posts that are made on PP.

Everyone may not agree with me, but there’s no doubt as to what my complaint is based on; there’s no doubt the candidates in question did it; and finally, there’s no doubt that I didn’t care for it.

• HowardRoark says:

Now you and Georgia Judge are starting to sound similar. Are you two conspiring together? Or worse…

18. rsga says:

GOPGeorgia,

I am wondering if you have the same concerns that Kemp appears to have listed his May ’09 state convention expenses on this disclosure despite the fact that GA codes clearly states:

§ 21-5-34. Disclosure reports

(b)(1) All reports shall list the following:

@rsga,

If it were paid in the previous reporting cycle and just now reported, yes I would have a problem with it. I just got off the phone w our SOS and told me it was charged on a credit card and paid in this cycle. I agree that the expenditure was made when the credit card bill was paid.

FYI, I had a conversation with Doug’s campaign manger last night.

@Rural

• RuralDem says:

“If it was another Dem doing the same thing and I felt bothered enough to consider taking action, yes I would call. If they were using state phones to call Howard Dean for America or Emily’s list, I would file.”

Again, here you go going off topic. Your implication that one of the candidates for Governor and one of the candidates for SOS committed a violation of Georgia’s election law is the topic at hand, not some crap about Emily’s List or Howard Dean.

That’s what, the third time now you’ve tried to jump to something else?

“FYI, I had a conversation with Doug’s campaign manger last night.”

And? Are you satisfied that the while the action was odd, it was not illegal?

• GOPGeorgia says:

It’s not off topic. That’s the last time I filed an ethics complaint, Cathy Cox was using our state phones to carry out Dem party business.

No I’m not satisfied yet. I’ll be making phones calls on Monday that can’t be made over the weekend. I’ll let everyone know if I decide to pursue this or if I decide to drop it.

• Fawkes says:

Doug,

You’re coming off as just another Kemp backer. You are clearly lining up behind the other Party bosses instead of looking at the fact that Doug provided all of the necessary information in an attempt to demonstrate that he will play on a level playing field despite what you and the rest of the Party believes.

You have commented numerous times, have backed everything the GAGOP has said (i.e. Sue Everhart et al.) and have showed no spine. Why can’t you and the rest of the Party stand on principle like Lawton Sack has done. Just because you are a District Chairman should not mean that you need to answer to the power structure. You’ve stated that your job is to “elect Republicans”. But what happens when the Republicans become corrupt and you have a platform from which you can stand up against that corruption? Do you just fold like a wet paper sack?

Please, show some balls and stick up for what is right.

Fawkes,

I am not a Kemp backer. I do not agree with everything that Sue says. A candidate I like and admire has done something that I think is ethically questionable and I am questioning it. I am questioning it a higher degree than when a dem did the same thing, because I hold our candidates to a higher standard.

If you don’t understand that, then you don’t understand me. And from your post, I don’t think that you do. If you ever want to call and chat, my numbers not hard to find.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I called the state ethics commission today. They basically agreed that I am technically correct that over reporting does violate the act. However, because it is disclosing more info that what is required and not hiding anything from the voters, the commission probably would not fine the candidates.

A-Action Janitorial Service, Inc. contributed to Baker on 7/7/09 and was included on his report due 6/30/09, but not on his year end. Technically the contribution should be in the second report, but he’s not disclosing it twice.

It falls into the category of speeding but less than 10 miles over the limit. Yes it violates the law, but there are no consequences. Considering that there would be no consequences to it, even though they violated the law, I won’t be pursuing this.

• ByteMe says:

This strikes me as the correct outcome. The “Inside Baseball” people get upset because next season’s hits got included on last season’s batting average, but for the rest of us, it’s really a “who cares?”

The intent of the act is disclosure, not statistics.

• RuralDem says:

“even though they violated the law, I won’t be pursuing this”

I do give you credit for calling, that is shocking.

• GOPGeorgia says:

“Do you really believe any of us expected you to pursue any action a Republican running for office in a contested Primary?”

I didn’t consider what anyone else was thinking. I was doing what I thought was right.

“I still say if it were two Democrats instead of one of both parties, you’d file now and ask questions later.”

Well, when one Democrat did it 6 months ago, I didn’t consider filing. If I were the partisan hack you try to make me out to be, I could/would have filed an ethics complaint then. I considered filing now because I hold our candidates to a higher standard.

“Besides, wouldn’t filing a complaint against a Republican running for office violate some GOP by-laws that you have to abide by?”

No. I can’t endorse anyone using my title. I can hold anyone accountable if they have done something I think they shouldn’t have. As a personal code, and not by a state rule, I am not endorsing anyone in any of the statewide primaries, even though I could do it if I didn’t use my title.

• rsga says:

GOPGeorgia,

If Kemp’s expenditures were incurred in a prior period and placed on a credit card, as at least two in March, one in April and more than ten in May were, there should be an interest carrying cost from the credit card company. If the charges were made on an individual’s credit card, it seems to me that this represents a loan to the campaign. This disclosure should reflect either a personal loan or an interest expense.

It is clear that Kemp was attempting to enhance his first disclosure statement by deferring expenses in to the second reporting period. Good strategy if no one’s paying attention, but people are.

• GOPGeorgia says:

If you think he needs an ethics compliant because of interest charges, have at it. There’s a chance the campaign has a credit card.

19. RuralDem says:

“It’s very rare that candidates do something to the point that I feel the need to do something other than have a private conversation with them. Doug did basically the same thing that Baker did back in July.”

So accusing two candidates of violating the election laws that govern our state is not something that rises to the point of feeling “the need to do something other than have a private conversation”? Wow.

“Doug did basically the same thing that Baker did back in July.”

Gotcha, so if it was another Democrat, would you afford them the luxury of a phone call or would you go ahead and run with it? I think we all know the answer.

“Even if it’s not an actual violation, there’s nothing wrong with me standing up and saying I don’t like this. ”

That’s true, but you aren’t just “standing up and saying I don’t like this”, you’ve implied that they’ve broken the law. Major difference there.

“I’m still waiting for proof that an OX staffer who was named in the title of a thread changed Karen’s wiki entry. We were told that was coming months and months ago.”

Has nothing to do with this topic. Try again.

Again, I do not think Baker nor MacGinnitie committed any type of violation, and I completely understand why people do not like what they did, I don’t think it’s a good thing to do myself. However, I’m also not the one saying they violated our election law.

• Doug Deal says:

I agree with you RD.

The spirit of the law is for candidates to report all of their donations. Just because the process has been perverted into a pissing contest does not mean that the purpose of the law has not been fulfilled.

If one does not like it, they can deduct what he reported from the next cycle and tell people that is the real number.

On the other hand, if he left something off, they would have a very valid point.

20. buckheadted says:

No wonder Kemp waited until the last minute to release his filing. Horrible. MacGinnitie out-raised him even without the loan. Kemp also spent more than he raised.

It will be interesting to see the establishment try to prop Brian up and get him some money. I guess it already is happening by making him SoS now. Still…Kemp (and the establishment) can’t be real proud of this report.