Deal Trying To Remain “A Little Bit Pregnant” On The Birther Issue

January 8, 2010 10:11 am

by Icarus · 166 comments

Jim Galloway has the details, as do many, many right wing/birther/truther/nutjob sites. I’ll stick with Galloway here:

The White House on Thursday confirmed receipt of a letter from U.S. Rep. Nathan Deal that formally asks Barack Obama to address questions about his place of birth – and thus, whether he is qualified to be president.

The letter arrived Dec. 10. Beyond that, no one is willing to say much.

According to my AJC colleague Bob Keefe in Washington, Todd Smith, Deal’s chief of staff, likewise confirmed that the letter had been sent. But neither Smith nor his boss would comment on its content.

“[Deal] just did what he said he was going to do,” Smith said. “It’s not news.”

With all due respect Mr. Smith and Representative Deal, this is news. You made it news. You have decided to go all in with “crazy” by deciding to question the legitimacy – in every way that word has meaning – of a sitting President.

You don’t want it to be news because you just want the World Net Daily readers to know that you’re really one of them. But you want the more mainstream voters to know you’re a normal mainstream establishment Republican.

We already have a candidate that has cornered the market on being all things to all people, and he was pulling as hard as he could for UGA to beat Michigan State on New Year’s day.

You’ve had a great career Rep. Deal. Save the dignity you have left and please get started on your retirement. If you can, take Ox with you. You can both start making plans to go see UGA play Texas A&M next year in Shreeveport.

Fawkes January 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

So now Obama has another GOP Congressman acting like a fool. When will they ever learn. It saddens me to know that, based on voting record, Deal has remained consistent with his base but is now a Birther. I expect this thread to fill up with the Birther crowd by mid-afternoon. Now, I’ll just bow out and watch the fireworks. :D

ReaganRepublican January 8, 2010 at 10:32 am

I believe great U.S. congressman faithfully reflect the opinions of his constituents, or leads them , by acting and voting as he, from his privileged vantage point, thinks best. I know that in the 9th district Nathan Deal has always done this. That is why we love him so much and will show up in unprecedented numbers this July to get him elected. The majority of 9th district residents want to see proof of his place of birth, this may be of no concern to a clown like you, but as for the north Georgia vote, we do care and I know many of my neighbors have contacted Deals office asking him to pursue this. Come next July we will show you where the GOP base really is……

Fawkes January 8, 2010 at 10:40 am

I make it a point of not voting up or down on comments, so I shall leave my -3 room to decline.

That being said, it appears as if I’ve hit a nerve.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

ReaganRepublican

If promoting crack pot issues over real solutions is what you want God help us!

Fawkes January 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

Agreed.

Making Sense January 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm

This is absurd. Nathan Deal is embarracing himself by being the first US Congressman EVER to officially question the citizenship of a dually elected sitting US President.

The State of Hawaii and the Republican Governor of Hawaii have both confirmed that Obama’s birth certificate is legitimate and legal.

Nathan Deal is one of the most corrupt Members of Congress having used his office and official capacity as a Member of Congress to protect his inside business deal with the State of Georgia. This is the same inside business deal that made him a millionaire.

DMZDave January 8, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I appreciate loyalty Reagan Republican and while I take your point, I don’t believe Nathan Deal ever actually voted for your hero Ronald Reagan.

On the birth certificate issue, just a few weeks ago there was this sweet story and picture of a tall smiling Barry Obama in the 3d grade with his arm around a young friend named Inoue from an elementary school in Hawaii in the 3d grade. Problem is that Obama’s biography had him living in Indonesia that year. What, he didn’t know he lived in Hawaii when he was 8? Terms like “birther” and “tea bagger” are simply intolerant Democrat hate speech intended to silence debate and honest inquiry.

There’s a whole lot wrong with President Obama’s biography and resume and a lot of folks just wish Newsweek could spare a few of those 16 fact checkers they have sniffing after Sarah Palin to spend some time checking up on the Barack Obama story.

Silent Outrage January 9, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Very Good Point. Deal actually supported Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale against Ronald Reagan. He even supported Bill Clinton and a lot of his liberal agenda in 1992.

Just go back and look at his voting record. It will shock you.

GodHatesTrash January 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Yup, hillbillies hate Obama.

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Typical left wing pablum. Those that accuse conservatives of fascism continue to fulfill their role to perpetuate the phony paradigm with their own “bundling” of “groups” of people without addressing actual “issues”. The actual fact is, some CONSTITUTIONALISTS are FAIR AND BALANCED with the birth issue as well as other Constitutional issues. I’d say this simple approach is well-nigh impossible for those engrossed in “politics” and can’t see the forest for the trees. Nope. Many have sacrificed their own powers of reasoning for (you guessed it) “group think” and “poll watching” before they “change their mind”. Of course this is why the “grassroots” has a vital role in representative government. The “grassroots” knows what it thinks and knows what it knows.

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm
GodHatesTrash January 16, 2010 at 8:00 am

Yup. Hillbillies hate Obama.

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 10:20 am

So, let me see if I can gather from Icarus’s view of the world:

Once a question has ever been answered (whether the answer is the truth or not), it can never be asked again without someone laying a title on the asker of “birther, weirdo, crackpot, nutball”, etc.?

inlimine January 8, 2010 at 10:23 am

Once a ridiculous and hyper wing nutty question has been answered, yes.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:24 am

FYI

…..FactCheck.org staffers have now seen, touched, examined and photographed the original birth certificate. We conclude that it meets all of the requirements from the State Department for proving U.S. citizenship. Claims that the document lacks a raised seal or a signature are false. We have posted high-resolution photographs of the document as “supporting documents” to this article. Our conclusion: Obama was born in the U.S.A. just as he has always said……

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

FYI

…..Even the governor of Hawaii, Linda Lingle, a Republican who at the time was stumping for John McCain, said it was on the up-and-up. …..

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 10:34 am

Mr. Konop,

I am sorry, but I simply do not subscribe to the presumption that just because So-and-So said such-and-such, that doesn’t mean that is the absolute answer.

It’s like your assumptions that the posters on this blog are statistically equal to the population of voters in Georgia when in fact they are not because of the 2 reasons I told you: 1) Not all posters can be guaranteed to be one unique person, and 2) not all posters are of an independent mind.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

Mozart

I my opinion people like you on both sides are traitors who will promote and manipulate facts for political gain over rational debate. Cynthia Mckinney style crash and burn politics that ignore the truth and avoids real debate over substance is not what being an American is about.

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 10:56 am

Do what? I am a traitor for not necessarily believing everything someone writes or says? Really?!

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 11:02 am

Mozart,

You are a traitor for promoting and spewing fact less hate to fire up people like they do in the Middle East! As I said I have issues with policy with Obama but guys like you who feel comfortable promoting racism will destroy the conservative movement in the long run.

Making Sense January 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm

By your logic, unless you have a Georgia Birth Certificate you aren’t a legal citizen?

This is insane.

Silent Outrage January 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Mozart – there is no logic in what you say. By your reasoning we should have citizen identification at the Georgia line. I suspect that you also think that “those people” should be respectful of their rights?

GOPGeorgia January 9, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Making sense,

I don’t have a Georgia birth certificate. I have one from TN, but I could produce it if I were running for office.

GodHatesTrash January 16, 2010 at 8:03 am

Unfortunately, Mozart is kkkeerect.

His ilk does represent the true sullen and ignorant nature of the Georgia electorate.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sorry, John, but you know that FactCheck.org isn’t going to be enough for the “crazy” crowd. The conspiracy crackpots will never be satisfied with any explanation from anyone other than their crackpot brethren.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

LOL

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm

John
I’m sorry but if you just step back for a moment I’d like for you to resolve one issue for me and that’s the FACT that factcheck.org and fightthesmears.com posted DIFFERENT C.O.L.B.s. So if we were to approach this like detectives, with a clear starting point, which one, which one John do you stand behind?

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

What is dangerous is many of the same crowd pushing this also are 9/11 Truthers who think Bush blew up the trade center. Crazy is crazy!

Alex Jones – ‘Birther’ or ‘Truther’?

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

So, now you are saying if people are in quest for a truth, it is a dangerous thing?

Your ancestors were likely in the kinfolk of “The Earth is FLAT I tell you! Flat! That Columbus guy is going to sail off the edge of the Earth and die!!”

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

If the crazy birthers were really on a quest for truth, tourism in Hawaii would be better than it is right now. And yet…

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

ByteMe, in case you haven’t heard, there’s a bit of a recession. Travel costs money. Time away from work costs money, for those who have jobs.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

Mozart

This is not about the truth it is about turning a blind eye to facts and you being a racist! I disagree with Obama on issues but I will stick to issues not join a movement that feels more comfortable in WHITE HOODS!

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 11:01 am

Mozart: Travel to Hawaii is too expensive for someone who wants to claim he’s defending the constitution? You mean the price is too high for our great country? Can none of you guys get together and buy a plane ticket or would the person get infected on landing in Hawaii and come back “one of them”?

But seriously, keeping a stupid conspiracy theory alive on blogs is free and does so much good for the GOP message! You keep the ball rolling. I’m over here laughing.

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 11:05 am

Wow. Now I didn’t expect the race card to be thrown-out here at all.

Mr. Konop, you appear to either not have complete control over your mental faculties, or just be an emotional wreck about the world around you. Have you been recently victimized? Traumatized? Sanitized? Martinized?

Get a grip…soon.

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 11:09 am

ByteMe,

If it was ever proven that he was not eligible to be a US President, and people like you and Mr. Konop suddenly became members of the class of people who were in the wrong, what would you say then?

All you do is offer rhetoric and school-boy taunts. Mr. Konop points to FactCheck and someone else. So far, there are still enough questions as to wonder if he is eligible, and that’s not a question borne of racist intent.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

Mozart

It is obvious what this issue is about. You can pretend but most of us get it. And racist like you will be the death of the conservative movement. That is why I have such very little tolerance for people like you on both sides who would spew hate for gain over dealing with real issues. We are 11 trillion in the red because to many politicians make elections about gut politics while they pick our pockets!

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 11:15 am

If wishes were dollars, I’d be a millionaire. And yet…

And yet, you aren’t willing to put your money where your mouth is. Buy the ticket. Get together with other nutjobs writing birther blogs in the basement of their mother’s house. See if you can pool your money to buy a single ticket. Go to Hawaii.

At least you’ll enjoy your time in the warm sun.

I’m still laughing.

Fawkes January 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

Byte and Konop in a tag team? AWESOME.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

Fawkes: I’m staying away from the “racist” charge. It’s more like “otherness” or “strangeness” to me, so I’m leaving that one alone. I’d rather go after the absolutely stupidity of the conspiracy theory that involves literally hundreds of people both in and out of government and ads placed in newspapers 48 years ago just in case. It’s breathtaking in its stupidity, but also great fun to bat around the nutty people like a cat with a toy mouse.

Fawkes January 8, 2010 at 11:26 am

Byte, you’re getting to the very heart & soul of why you and Konop can unite on this issue: Illegitimate arguments can be debunked by both the Right, the Left, and the Center. So commence with the tag team. Go at it with whatever angle you deem necessary b/c, regardless of which counter-argument you use (there are a PLETHORA of them), you are still in the majority.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

And, bottom line, I don’t think Mozart is a birther. I think he’s just tying himself to the issue to make another point that’s getting lost in the rhetoric.

He might want to try again with more clarity.

Fawkes January 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

He might also be just another creative writing experiment. You never know with commenters.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 11:43 am

ByteMe

I think what guys like Mozart do is worse than being a Birther and or Truther. What they do is use issues like this to manipulate voters over having to deal with real issues. Nathan Deal is smart enough to come up with real solutions agree or not. Yet they have supporters like Mozart and or operatives who think winning at all cost is better than actually having a real platform.

And when and if they get elected they are beholden to the deals they cut with the devil. And btw this is an issue with both parties. And unless both sides call out the BS it will never change.

What I respect about you agree or not on issues is that you post what you think is right and you call out the BS!

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

ByteMe,

The simple fact is that Deal is doing the letter because it’s easier to write a letter than to spend the time going to Hawaii and digging into history. I doubt he has read all the blogs and Websites that have all of the info about this on them.

And, it’s one heckuva way to get some earned media out there.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 11:53 am

And what Icarus is pointing out is that this is a serious miscalculation on his part. He has a staff, he can pick up the phone and call the governor of Hawaii and get the scoop, but instead, he chooses to send a letter to the White House and make it public on the fringe web sites. But to mainstream Republicans he wants to disavow that he’s doing this. He’s trying to have it both ways and it’s not working and about to put him out of a job.

Doug Deal January 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I find it amusing that these people who are so concerned about the Constitution ignore it when it comes to Hawaii certifying it’s own birth record.

Aparently they think it is the place of the Federal government to tell states who were born within their own borders. Isn’t vital statistics a role of the state government.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it is only lip service you give to supporting the Constitution.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Doug

Very good point!!

Doug Deal January 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm

John,

Unfortunately, it is pointless to reason someone out of a belief they never reasoned themself into in the first place.

Ken in Eastman January 17, 2010 at 2:38 am

Is there something on the other side of “crazy” or “insane”? Is demented more accurate? Perhaps they are just “full-blown wackos”?

Rick Day January 8, 2010 at 11:36 am

*cough911TRUTHERScough*

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

Just as crazy. But further in the rear view mirror, thankfully.

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm

A COLB is not a birth certificate and among real conservatives and constitutionalists politicians and bureaucrats aren’t exactly the final word on the truth. Thank God we all haven’t drank the Kool-Aid.

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I’ll give you guys a little “heads up” or a little pointer. And that would be if you’re really interested in elevating the level of the debate without categorizing people without any hint of logic or reasoning, then how about really researching the issue you’re taking a strong stance on? Otherwise you’re basing your stance or view on a bunch of political fluff which is subject to change. And this ain’t real conservatism.

I Am Jacks Post January 8, 2010 at 10:54 am

Laying the ground work for Handel’s fundraising report . . .

Buzz Brockway January 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

So Deal should be praised for this silliness?

I Am Jacks Post January 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

No, that’s not what I’m saying.

What I am suggesting is that there’s a pattern here. Anything remotely damning about any candidate for governor–who doesn’t happen to be a woman–makes the front page. However, when an Athens Banner Herald column, or a Tom Crawford column point out “so big you can drive a truck through” holes in Handel’s new shock and awe ethics message, they don’t merit even passing mention.

This is an entertaining site if you can stomach the fact that it’s a big frickin in-kind to the Handel campaign.

Go ahead lemmings, let the red check marks fly. I consider this post an abject failure if don’t net at least a dozen of your disapproving marks.

B Balz January 9, 2010 at 11:43 pm

So far, you are below goal. (;>)

G. Moxley Sorrel January 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

It doesn’t matter where you believe Obama was born, this is an issue that will hurt the GOP candidate in the general election and the media will focus on it to the detriment of other issues. Having Deal as our nominee will hurt the GOP’s chances in that race and down ballot. I am actually surprised that the Ox has not come out on this issue too, considering his support for every other “right wing” idea.

inlimine January 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

This train of thought only helps any Dem on the ballot. Nutjob birthers line up closely with the Westboro Baptist Church congregation, IMO. Your point is insane, but feel free to keep making it!

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm

“Nutjob birthers” eh?
How about “nutjob birthers” who took the same stance against McCain who was born in Panama? Or how about “nutjob birthers” who realize this entire War on Terror is based on lies? How about “nutjob birthers” who prefer organics and locally produced foods and small family farms to agribusiness and corporate welfare? How about “nutjob birthers” who have ALWAYS opposed retroactive immunity for the telecoms? What exactly is a nutjob are you trying to encompass all birthers or just cross referencing “nut jobs” with “birthers” which would tend to narrow your object criticism?

B Balz January 16, 2010 at 8:00 am

White Acre Farm grass fed beef, Georgia grown and produced. Better for ya and tastes great. Available in Publix…

Progressive Dem January 8, 2010 at 11:16 am

Deal is walking around with toilet paper on his shoe.

Doug Deal January 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Yeah, and it has a brown stain on it too.

kim000 January 8, 2010 at 11:25 am

Trying to convince a Birther of the error of their ways is a loosing proposition. So save your sanity and just let them be. Birthers are culturally opposed to the idea that a Barack Obama is the president of “THEIR” country. And nothing will change their point of view that the man, because of who he is, is inauthentically American. Their opposition to Obama is not validly based on policy or politics…it is a cultural opposition for which no birth certificate can cure.

inlimine January 8, 2010 at 11:48 am

i.e., racism

Rick Day January 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

This message was NOT brought to you by Pete Randall™

Pete Randall January 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm

HA! And no bigoted message EVER is!

Making Sense January 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm

What I’m about to say is going to be very controversial and I apologize in advance, but these people who are questioning Obama’s citizenship are nothing more than refined racists. They remind me of the same people who treated African Americans as second class citizens and so disgraced this country during the 50’s and 60’s.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Controversial? The point has already been made 3 times in the comments section of this thread alone.

B Balz January 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I never been to Shreeveport (sp). Anyone up for the UGA & Texas A&M game next year?

Mozart January 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm

What is a “refined” racist? What’s been the refinement?

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm

They say “those people” now instead of the n-word.

B Balz January 9, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Did you mean to say: “those ‘light-skinned’ African-American ‘with no Negro dialect’ people” now instead of the n-word?

ByteMe January 10, 2010 at 5:48 am

I didn’t. Reid did.

Thankfully, the old racist guard are dying off. It’s only their infected offspring we need to worry about.

B Balz January 10, 2010 at 10:21 am

I was surprised to hear Harry Reid make that statement last year, and it did not get as much press as it would have if Sean Hannity made it. (Which he would not.)

As to ‘old racist guard’ dying off, I wish it were so. Using Holocaust ‘deniers’ as an example, hatred in not generationally limited.

My comment was not meant as a slight on you Byte, your comments are as even handed as they get.

Icarus January 10, 2010 at 10:22 am

Wrong comparison.

It doesn’t matter if Sean Hannity would have said it. Trent Lott did. Actually, Trent’s statement was probably less offensive.

But Trent lost his job over it. Harry Reid will get another pass.

B Balz January 10, 2010 at 10:35 am

Better comparison, true.

ByteMe January 10, 2010 at 10:36 am

Be fair. Trent didn’t say the same thing. Similar topic, but not the same thing. Not even close. It was awful, implying that the racist Dixiecrats winning would have made things better today.

And BB, I know you aren’t targeting me. I’m surprised he said it as well (and I would have given him points if he had used the phrase “my stupid comment” in his apology), but my parents would have said something similar and wondered why I would look at them disapprovingly.

And, no, stupidity and hatred are not limited by generation, but thankfully things like race that the older folks trip over are less important to the younger kids.

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 11:02 am

Harry Reid should give up his leadership role like Lott did!

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 11:07 am

FYI

Reid After Trent Lott’s Resignation In 2002: ‘He Had No Alternative’

….Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in 2002 agreed with former Sen. Trent Lott’s (R-Miss.) decision to resign his leadership role after Lott made what some felt were racist remarks at former Sen. Strom Thurmond’s 100th birthday party.

“He had no alternative,” said Reid at the time claiming, “If you tell ethnic jokes in the backroom, it’s that much easier to say ethnic things publicly. I’ve always practiced how I play.” …..

B Balz January 10, 2010 at 11:35 am

Racism is based on either ignorance or stupidity, and only one of those is can be resolved.

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

Are you saying Sen. Reid should go back to school?

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 11:55 am

Images of Rodney Dangerfield, star of the movie back to schoo,l now in the US Senate fill my head; but that’s about as unlikely as Al Franken getting elected to the US Senate.

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 11:14 pm

You guys really amuse me. You were never part of the grassroots and you never will be. You’re way too distanced from the issues. For many of you guys the “issues” have no meaning or traction until they gain traction among the voters or the “people”. The voters or constituents have real OPINIONS based on logic and information which YOU GUYS base your “opinions” on. HAHAHHAHAHAAA. Do you think the “average Joe” is worried about whether a “politico” calls him a nutjob? Do you think this would effect his opinion?

Harry January 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Call me a racist, but all we’re saying is, the burden of proof should be on Obama to show he meets the constitutional requirement. Frankly, given his unwillingness to present his full-form COLB or ask the Hawaii governor to do so (if he didn’t retain a copy), I think he does not meet the constitutional requirement and he knows it.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Considering Obama’s the one who’s the Constitutional law professor who was sworn as President by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and you are an anonymous blogger, I think your understanding of the Constitution is probably faulty.

Provocateur January 10, 2010 at 5:32 pm

“Considering Obama’s the one who’s the Constitutional law professor ”

Those who cannotdo, teach.

ByteMe January 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm

No, those who cannot do, comment on blogs from their mother’s basement.

Provocateur January 11, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Mr. Pot, don’t be calling Obama “Black.”

GOPGeorgia January 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Byte’s going to call me a birther, but such is life. I still say there is a reason he hasn’t produced the CLOB. Spending 2 million to cover up something that should be easy to produce doesn’t add up. I think he was probably born in Hawaii, but there’s something going on. And I am not a racist.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I’ve already pointed out in other threads that you’re a crazy birther. No surprise here. Was hoping you had been cured of your lunacy, but no, you’re still representing your Party well.

GOPGeorgia January 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm

And you still can’t carry on an intelligent discussion with facts or at least plausible theories without throwing names.

ByteMe January 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I’m the only one of the two of us who recognizes facts instead of trying to spin nonsense into a conspiracy theory involving hundreds of government employees and private citizens. Really, Doug, if you’re trying to recruit people to support the Republican Party, you need to avoid pushing conspiracy theories about the legitimacy of the President, because it’s really insulting to all the Republicans and Independents who voted for him.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm

GOPGeorgia

You are the poster child for what is wrong with the PARTY LACK OF REAL LEADERSHIP on both sides! You defended Kathy Cox using data from administrators convicted of cheating and now this.

You guys care more about PARTY politics than your country!

GOPGeorgia January 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Why has he spent so much money covering this up? It may not be 2 million, but whatever the dollar figure, it’s cost more than just providing a COLB.

As for why Congressman Deal is asking for it, perhaps he is going to try to raise funds for his campaign from birthers across the nation. I can give you a reason that makes sense for the actions of Congressman Deal. Waiting on you (or anyone else) for an answer on the inactions of and money spent by President Obama.

GOPGeorgia January 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm

JK,

Move up here and run against me. Have a nice day.

B Balz January 10, 2010 at 12:05 am

gooey mass!

Donna Locke January 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I agree. Something fishy about it, despite the attempts to distract us from it.

Go Nathan.

Silent Outrage January 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm

He produced a copy of his birth certificate for everyone to see. What do you want the man to do? Take it along with him at every visit he makes? That’s absurd and it diminishes the office of the President.

You may disagree with the man, his policies, etc… as I do, but we all should continue to respect the office and the process in which one gets elected.

ByteMe January 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Not “everyone”. The crazy were clearly excluded from seeing it.

Provocateur January 9, 2010 at 10:11 pm

And President George Bush made a speech on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003 declaring the war efforts in Iraq to be a success and…”MISSION ACCOMPLISHED”

But yet, the mission wasn’t “accomplished” even though he said it was.

You say Barack Obama “produced a copy of this birth certificate for everyone to see.” I say it wasn’t a copy of his true original birth certificate.

People lie. Presidents lie. If you want to accept everything you see and hear, that’s your prerogative. But, I refuse to be a lemming.

Mozart January 9, 2010 at 10:14 pm

But yet, the mission wasn’t “accomplished” even though he said it was.

Ken in Eastman January 17, 2010 at 2:42 am

Doug,

I really believe that he could prove it at any time. The “birthers” provide a distraction from all of his failures and he can use them to paint us all with a broad brush.

It’s a distraction, at best and a real drain on those opposing him. I believe he will wait until he believes it is most embarrassing for his opponents and the birth certificate will be produced.

IndyInjun January 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Here Georgia sits with a $3 billion, and likely growing, revenue shortfall and Deal is bringing up something that has nearly zero materiality to anything that is on the list of a governor’s duties.

Then, there is Ox, running on the “Fair”tax which is a federal tax that Georgia’s governor has nothing at all to do with , but one that will compete with the state sales tax for revenue, tax Georgia government, and drive up financing costs for state and local projects.

Incredible.

John Konop January 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Indy

Great Point!!!!

Mozart January 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Not really. Deal’s actions were in support of his congressional position. A congressman does have that authority to issue such a letter. A candidate for governor of a state does not have that standing.

Or, Indy, would you prefer he use his congressional seat to do activities for his gubernatorial race?

Game Fan January 15, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Well Indy, good thing you’re taking the “high road” here. (tehe) As for myself, I realize that most “successful” politicians are born liars from the starting gate. I see no reason to undermine the birther movement myself. Not that I personally expend much energy on the subject. And as a “neo-Libertarian” I’m not about to join the “control” crowd and try to stamp out a debate about ANY of these so-called “leaders” (politicians) What purpose would that serve?

MSBassSinger January 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Going after Obama for the birth certificate issue is bit like a cop catching an armed robber driving away from a robbery and only writing him a speeding ticket.

Why wouldn’t it be wiser to go after Obama for the manifold stupid, ignorant, naive, and all-around Carter-esque things he has done and lies he has told? Why not spend the time and resources researching, documenting, and creatively educating the public on Little Lord Fauntleroy?

Has anyone considered who becomes President if Obama were, by some highly unlikely miracle, proven ineligible? And then who do we get if Biden resigned? Neither Biden nor Pelosi seems to me to be a step forward.

We all remember the nut cases from 2000 who were (and some still are) trying to prove Bush 43 really wasn’t elected according to the Constitution. We don’t need any conservatives joining that class of empty-headed activist, do we?

IndyInjun January 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Sublimely well put.

Technocrat January 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Poor Deal only raised $608,438.68 this filing period vs Ox’s $1.5 million +. Less than 1 mil cash on hand vs. Ox’s $2.2 million.

Romegaguy January 8, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Money dries up when your name is used in the same sentence as “subject of Congressional investigation”

Silent Outrage January 9, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Deal wouldn’t be questioning his citizenship or place of birth if he were white.

Doug Deal January 9, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Or if he was a Republican.

IndyInjun January 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Deal is 9 months pregnant with antiRepublican votes.

I am a Republican because… states – “I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible, and responsive government is government closest to the people.” Deal voted for NCLB that incinerates this principle.

I am a Republican because… states – “I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s freedom, ability, and opportunity, must be responsibly honored and protected.” Deal voted to gut individual rights with the Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act, and creation of the godawful Dept. Of Homeland Security, powers now enjoyed by a woman who deems Republicans as terrorists.

I am a Republican because… states – “I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility ….” Deal voted for the biggest (an unfunded) social program since LBJ with Medicare D.

I am a Republican because… states – “I BELIEVE .. that the best government is the government which governs least.”
Deal provided votes that doubled government debt during the Bush 43 reign of error and as noted, voted for the DHS.

I am a Republican because… states – ” I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to proactively meet the challenges of changing times.” Deal voted for Gramm Leach Bliley which gutted reforms that had worked for 70 years and replaced them with fraud-enabling statutes.

Deal is about as much Republican as Obama is honest.

John Konop January 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Some of you may get upset at the raw comments Indy made but it is hard to argue with his logic. And that is why I find myself feeling like an outside independent.

And in all due respect to GOPGeorgia but party leaders like him are more concerned about what they get out the deal than what is best for the country. And I am not sure I could buy enough toilet paper to wipe the brown stains off his nose.

With that said I have seen more on both sides standing up more lately. And my hat goes off to all of you!

GOPGeorgia January 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm

JK,

I’ve asked you this before, but what exactly do you think I get out of my involvement in politics other than the satisfaction of trying to make my community, state, and nation a better place?

What do you think “I get out of the deal?”

I have no contracts with any government entity, not do I plan to seek any.

I find it easy to argue with Indy’s logic or lack there of. He wants to throw everyone out of office and start over from scratch. You two are nuts in the same candy bar.

John Konop January 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm

GOPGEORGIA

YOU SAID:

….I find it easy to argue with Indy’s logic or lack there of. He wants to throw everyone out of office and start over from scratch. You two are nuts in the same candy bar…..

NO SPIN:

Please help us understand why you think No Child Left Behind and Medicare Part D is sound rational policy you support?

John Konop January 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm

GOPGeorgia

The problem is when you care about brown nosing and cheerleading more than policy it is obvious. That is why you can not answer the above questions!

GOPGeorgia January 9, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Jk,

I’m not answering your question until you answer mine. You imply I am getting something unethical out of this. That’s not about policy, it’s about me. Either put up or shut up.

IndyInjun January 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm

There you go, being utterly and totally wrong again. I like Ron Paul, Jim DeMint, and Paul Broun. I think Westmoreland is OK. Price I am neutral on. I absolutely supported Charlie Norwood.

I worked actively to defeat Max Burns, because he had a record like Deal’s and Barrow is arguably more conservative, even more Republican than, Burns.

In the governor’s race there are 3 GOPers and one Libertarian I would pick before voting Dem. I won’t vote for Deal or Ox, period, because they represent everything I hate about politics.

As for party rank and file, if you ain’t in it for principles, you can’t blame Konop or me for questioning your motives, for many, if not most partisans who don’t give a damn about PERFORMANCE are looking to be on the gravy train.

John Konop January 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm

GOPGeorgia

You have defended the undependable many times on this blog. If you do it for money, to feel important, future aspirations, political favors…..who cares! At the end of the day your nose is so brown that the smell would choke anyone. And the reason you will not answer my questions is because you have no answer!

GOPGeorgia January 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm

JK,

Looking for you phone number. Not on your FEC reports. You and I are going to have a talk.

John Konop January 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm
B Balz January 9, 2010 at 6:29 pm

GAGOP: I’d LOVE to talk with you.

IMHO, you are what is wrong with some GA GOP leadership.

Mr. Sack doesn’t come off like an arrogant buffoon. Yet, you come across like folks that write on PP are actually from DailyKOS.

HINT: I vote GOP, most folks here do. So intimidation and blustery threats to those that support the GOP is not a helpful strategy.

GOPGeorgia January 9, 2010 at 7:26 pm

BBalz, or anyone else that wants to talk with me,

My number is not hard to find, and I keep my phone on almost 24/7.

B Balz January 9, 2010 at 6:34 pm

“He wants to throw everyone out of office and start over from scratch”

Starting with YOU, sounds like a plan to me.

John Konop January 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm

GOPGeorgia

We are still waiting for you to defend to big to fail ie Gramm Leach Bliley act, No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, Highway bill with bridges to nowhere, Energy bill giveaway……….

GOPGeorgia January 9, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Jk,

B Balz January 9, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Putting on statesman cap:

GA GOP you may expect a call from my office next week.

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 12:30 am

B Balz,

I look forward to it. If I’m in the middle with dealing with clients, I will call you back. Otherwise, I will give you all the time you desire.

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 8:01 am

I did answer your question:

January 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm

GOPGeorgia

THE TRUTH:

You rarely if ever talk about policy.

Once Again:

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 11:31 am

JK

I will give your question the same consideration and respect you gave mine. As a matter of fact, I will give your same answer. “Who cares?” Now when you want to stop being a five year old and explain your attack on my character with any proof, I will give your questions property answers. You want to call me a brown noser and a sellout every time I post something, you can. I can, in turn, call you a loon and a pathetic loser. I’ve reached out to you to try to resolve this like adults. You let me know when you want to stop being a 5 year old.

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 11:32 am

“proper” not “property”

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm

GOP

You did a great job making my point be refusing to deal with the policy questions. You have made it clear you have nothing more than smoke and mirrors. None of us are asking you to apologize for your baseless attacks while doing it as a tool of the party.

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 12:33 pm

The five year old speaks.

What attacks have I made that are baseless? And am I not allowed to have my own opinion or do you think I go into some back room get marching orders and come out swinging?

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm

GOPGEORGIA

Obviously you cannot argue with “Indy’s logic” via policy! While you spin as a tool for the party you cannot even keep your BS straight on this thread. Did you forget the original questions?

YOU SAID:

NO SPIN:

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm

When I make a mistake, such as if Karen worked for Sonny, I apologize for getting my facts wrong without being asked. You act like a five year old and start asking policy questions instead of backing up your claims.

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm

GOPGeorgia

Just admit it you do not understand and or care about policy and you are a tool of the party or answer the questions!

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Indy wants to throw them out….

“Let’s all get on the gravy train!
by Pete Randall on December 10, 2009

IndyInjun December 10, 2009 at 1:49 pm
Yeah, Jason and what did we get the last 4 years…..an expansion of an already liberal conservation use tax exemption to cover corporations, which means in a LOT of suburban and rural counties, the property tax drills down to rooftops, instead of being based upon equal taxation.
We got that Georgia Power Bill that let GPC not only bill us in advance for future construction costs, but pay for future profits, too.
Thrown them out.
THROW THEM ALL OUT.”

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm

*Gramm Leach Bliley act: I didn’t care for it, primarily because I think banks should act as banks and not as securities and insurance companies. It was change I don’t think that we needed to make. I am not buying into that it cause the mortgage crisis, without looking deeper into it.

*No Child Left Behind: I liked part of it and I didn’t like other parts. The federal government should not just give block grants to states without any strings regarding use and measuring accomplishment. However, it seems as if schools have started to degrade into teaching the students the tests and not teaching the students the subjects.

What would have been better is if the money weren’t taxed, sent to DC, pay a bureaucrat a salary, reduced the number of jobs at the department of educations, stop send education money to the states, and let the states tax, set policy, standards, and teach the children without big brother watching overhead.

*Medicare Part D: I typically don’t like subsidies and this is no exception. The government should not be in the insurance business.

*Highway bill with bridges to nowhere: No one is going to state that they like bridges to nowhere. The way bills are put together in congress with and earmark here to buy a vote and an amendment there to buy a vote is atrocious. We need federal money to build roads and bridges, but they way we are doing it doesn’t work for me.

*Energy bill giveaway: If you are referring the bill in 2005 that Rep. Waxman said that after the energy legislation was closed to further amendment in the recently concluded conference, a $1.5 billion provision benefiting oil and gas companies was added, I don’t care for that.

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Now that I’ve done that, does anyone want to take a bet with me that JK won’t man up and explain his attack on me with any facts?

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm

GOPGEORGIA

I am totally confused you actually agree with Indy over Deal via policy? And you attack Indy for complaining about the same votes that you disagree with Deal. WHY????????

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Anyone who wants to throw them all out is not logical. I didn’t attack Indy, I question his logic skills. I didn’t say a word about Indy’s complaints on Deals votes. It’s easy to cherry pick out votes that I disagree with Deal on. However, he still votes the way I like 80% plus part of the time. I don’t burn down the village to save it.

As I’ve said before, you see what you want to see, and you have yet to show any honor in explaining you attack on my character.

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

GOP

Cherry picking what are you talking about? Medicare, Highway, Energy, Education….. with guys like in leadership no wonder we are 11 trillion in the red!

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm

JK,

If you go back and read, as soon as Indy made his post, you attacked my character and assumed I backed Deal on those votes. You brought me into this part of the thread thinking you know me, and you don’t.

I don’t ask for an apology, but I do ask you to show any proof to your attack. Man up and do one or the other.

John Konop January 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm

GOP

So you disagree with Deal on most major policy votes but you want an apology because you’re mad at Indy for not supporting Deal and most of us thinking you are a tool of the party. WOW do you think anyone is buying this BS?

GOPGeorgia January 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I have never asked Indy to support Deal nor am I mad at him, you idiot. PROVE IT, YOU LIAR.

YOU SAID: “it is hard to argue with his logic.”
I said it’s easy because he wants throw them all out.
I’ve provided proof he said it.

YOU SAID ” most of us think”
You are not most people who read peach pundit, live in the Ninth, or in the state or in the world. You speak for yourself, but it’s obvious you don’t think.

I could list all of the bills that Deal has voted for that I liked, but that’s a waste of time.

You attack and attack and attack. And all of it baseless. Typical dem strategy. When you can’t back up your claims with fact, attack the other person. You have no honor and can’t debate you way out of a wet paper bag with any facts to back up you claims.

IndyInjun January 9, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Hey, Konop, its THEIR OWN STANDARDS so what’s not to like?

Yeah, I get over the top on here and in their faces with this stuff until they beat a retreat.

They ALWAYS do because it is not me they find themselves arguing with, but their own published standards.

Don’t like old Indy reminding you of your hypocrisy?

Change your platform to Deal’s voting record and I will leave you alone.

Until then I win every debate because you defeat yourselves.

Dave Bearse January 9, 2010 at 6:14 pm

JK: You perhaps feel like an outside independents because you are!

IndyInjun January 9, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Well, Dave, I refuse to be shoved out of the Republican Party by a bunch of hacks, fakes, and opportunists.

People excuse a constant stream of lies and deceptions, then wonder why the pols overreach and wind up committing crimes.

I am a REPUBLICAN by the standards of the party.

There is ONE tenet that I refuse to obey and that is to support the party’s candidate no matter how corrupt he/she is.

B Balz January 9, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I hate hacks.

Harry January 9, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I don’t agree with Deal 100% on his voting record, but he’s right to press Obama to show his full-form COLB. All the pols need to come clean, starting at the top.

Ken in Eastman January 10, 2010 at 9:51 am

This is a distraction in so many way. If Nathan Deal wants to go there, then fine, but let’s not follow him there. There are real issues related to the governor’s race.

Even if Barack Obama was not born in the US, then our problems would be the same: unemployment over 10%, nationalized health care, the cap and trade tax, terrorism, stupid people doing stupid things in airports, fiscal and monetary irresponsibility of the highest magnitude. Would a President Joe Biden be any better? We all know the answer is no.

I understand the urge to make things right but justice is not an option in this life. In this life we have laws and morality and guess which one trumps in today’s society.

Doug Deal January 10, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Well the only two reasons that I have heard the Deal campaign staff give as to why to vote for him seem to be that Handel can’t raise money and Obama is a closet foreigner.

Yeah, his campaign might be a little too policy wonkish and cerebral for most voters.

Seriously, if this is what this man is about, how can anyone not on his payroll support this complete waste of time? Even people with his last name don’t support him ;-).

IndyInjun January 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm

At present NEITHER. Fraud is ignored. The Fed violated its charter by investing in non US government ‘securities’. Body scanners violate child sex laws. Mutual funds invest in crap outside of the stated purpose of their funds.

Soon you violate the law by not buying insurance.

At present the US government is neither moral nor lawful in a whole host of instances.

We have the biggest theft in world history and the guilty are enriched while the frugal and responsible are looted.

This won’t end well for somebody and right now it is the law abiding and the moral.

Ken in Eastman January 12, 2010 at 12:13 am

Hi Indy,

I can’t say I disagree, but the politicians, in general, don’t even consider morality or ethics, just the lowest hurdle, legality.

Harry January 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm

The idea of a constitution is to help us all argue from the same starting point. There are basic constitutional differences that can’t have to be resolved in order to format national policies, differences involving decentralized free market vs. centralized collectivism among other things, some questions more difficult than others. If we give in on the easy questions, where does that lead us? One of the easy questions should be, does Obama meet the constitutional test for the presidency? He managed to avoid addressing this issue in 2008, but there’s still 2012. Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, can become president according to the constitution. Whether Obama meets this requirement can be very easily put to rest, by him providing his full, original certificate of live birth. He hasn’t done this. The abbreviated, ex-post-facto computer version he put on the internet proves nothing. Let’s see the real one.

Fawkes January 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I can’t believe I’m making this point again, but here it goes:

Obama doesn’t need to hide anything. The birthers will continue to rant no matter what occurs. By not complying with birther demands, Obama is causing them to look like fools. This helps his cause as the distraction is kept in circulation. The smart thing for Obama to do is remain silent.

That said, birthers, as well as others, claim that our Constitution has not been followed for some time. Why even bring up an argument of Obama’s legitimacy as President on the basis of the Constitution? If our government hasn’t followed its founding document now, what makes you think they will start?

This entire argument is moot. In this very thread, and others, are the arguments that debunk the birthers. It’s still not good enough for them though, and won’t be. That’s all I’m saying on the issue. If you believe the birther myths then revel in your ignorance.

ByteMe January 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Of course he has. Get over it.

IndyInjun January 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Another aspect of Deal’s issue over Obama’s citizenship is that here we go again with YET ANOTHER raw-gut-issue that the “Republican Party” hacks like to use.

We real REPUBLICANS have been assaulted with this line of bullsh!t for a decade now. It is why we so are alienated from your lamentable, wretched party.

You say one thing, do the opposite and you impune the integrity of folks like Treasury Secretary Paul O’Neill who dared oppose the policies of your darling idiot in chief, George W. Bush.

If Georgia GOP selects a Bush-ite clown who still uses idiocy to assail the sensibility of real Republicans, you will remind us of the decade we have endured of your insults and assaults on principle.

The resentment we have for your lamentable party, a force that destroyed you the last 2 elections, is only fed by this sort of idiocy.

Harry January 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm

“Why even bring up an argument of Obama’s legitimacy as President on the basis of the Constitution? If our government hasn’t followed its founding document now, what makes you think they will start?”

Because it’s an easy issue to resolve one way or the other. If we can’t resolve the easy issues, how can we even hope to discuss the hard ones?

ByteMe January 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm

It’s already been resolved. 50 states certified that he was a citizen and could be on the ballot. The state department certified that he had valid documentation to travel abroad. You just refuse to acknowledge the obvious, which is that you are pissing into the wind.

Provocateur January 11, 2010 at 7:24 pm

How, exactly, did Georgia “certify” him to be a US citizen? Do you know what the procedure is that is required for such a process?

ByteMe January 11, 2010 at 9:19 pm

You should ask the Secretary of State’s office.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }