The thrashings of a man trying to remain relevant

Those who believe in compassion need to think about what poor Sonny Perdue is going through right now. Here is an opportunist who jumped parties in 2000 going from Democrat to Republican. He probably has only a few friends in politics, those claiming to be his friend are mostly sycophants looking for favors from his office.

As the GOP looks to the future, Sonny Perdue has no role to play. He is not one of us. He vetoes tax cuts that weren’t written by his pet in the state house. He allowed spending to grow in Georgia by an outrageous amount. He spent $20,000,000 of our tax dollars to build boat ramps. Ask yourself how different is he from Jack Murtha?

No one likes Sonny, yet he still has the legal power of the office. So in his desperate effort to remain relevant to the future of the GOP what has he done?

He made a back-room deal to install Mark Burkhalter as Speaker, which was undone by Burkhalter’s past and an uprising of grassroots opposition

He decided to circumvent the primary process and install another of his pets as Secretary of State. Jim Cole wisely decided to back down after the grassroots and Peach Pundit took him and Sonny to task.

Not to be out done by the pesky bloggers, Sonny decided to do the exact same thing again and gave the job to Brian Kemp.

Sonny is stubborn and desperate to try and stay relevant in his last year in office. He’ll ignore the grassroots. He doesn’t need you, never cared about you, and thinks he knows better than you.

Don’t expect anything different this legislative session.

1. HankRearden says:

I agree completely but I had a thought. Maybe no one wanted the S.O.S job that Sonny went to till he got to Kemp. Maybe Kemp would have prefered to not take but thought if he did not then Doug MacGinnitie would. Just a thought. But none the less, Sonny still sux.

2. BuckheadConservative says:

The end result will be our inability to recruit good candidates in the future. No one wants to be associated with the likes of Sonny and Burkhalter. No compelling candidates from the private sector are going to want to run for an office and do everything right only to have the governor try to annoint your opponent, a la Doug MacGinnitie. And no one with good conservative convictions is going to want to get elected to the legislature only to have their good bills shot down for no good reason. Who would have thought that after our first Republican governor since Reconstruction, our party would be worse off.

• Mad Dog says:

I’m not so much Republican. But if ‘we’ don’t have some quality under the Dome or at least an improvement under the Dome, I’m buying a double wide in Benbow, Alabama!

• Junius says:

I completely agree. That has been the most frustrating aspect of this for me. Here you have a rare outsider/reformer from the private sector, and he gets shot down before he is even out of the gates by a inside sweetheart deal. Kemp may make an excellent SOS. That being said, on paper, and on the stump, he comes across as an ambitious insider pol who desperately wants a statewide office (any statewide office) from which to run for governor. Not surprised but still disappointed.

3. AthensRepublican says:

Some historical correction. Sonny Perdue switched parties in late 1997. Eric Johnson was instrumental in helping him make the jump. Sonny Perdue was not getting along too well with Charles Walker and Mark Taylor (who later became Lt. Gov.).

I agree. I have not been pleased with the Governor first trying to handpick a Speaker and then handpicking a Secretary of State.

That said, I do think Brian Kemp will do a fine job in that office. Though, I would have preferred a caretaker appointed who would have not run for it.

• AthensRepublican says:

I am assuming you are still harping about my support of Brian Kemp?

No, I am not changing my choice because he was anointed by Perdue. I have known Brian many years and he was my Senator and I think a good one.

If you read many of my earlier posts, you would know I am highly critical of “politics as usual”.

• anewday says:

Now first let me say I like Brian Kemp. I met him a couple of times at meetings and what not. Very personable guy, and has a great charisma to him. That being said him being appointed to SOS has helped me decide that I will be voting for MacGinnitie in the primary.

AthensRepublican, I know it is easy to call the home town boy a great Senator, but what could he have accomplished in 4 years in the Senate? The Senate is one of those creatures where people get more powerful and better with time. Can you give me any legislation that was sponsored by Brian Kemp that would make me say “Man I was wrong. Maybe I should take another look at Kemp.”

People all the time are saying candidates are good simply because of geographical perspective (i.e Nathan Deal), but can anyone give any real facts as to how he was an effective Senator. I’ll take your word AthensRepub, butI am going to need more then “I have known Brian many years and he was my Senator and I think a good one.”

• AthensRepublican says:

If I had not known Brian, I could easily see myself supporting McGinnitie just because he was not the anointed one and that seems to be the conclusion you just drew. I have no problem with who you support.

This thread though deals with the actions of the Governor. Two days ago I was complaining about Perdue appointing someone to SOS that would then be running as an incumbent against two men who had been campaigning and raising money for over a year.

Then Cole was out and Kemp was in. I still stand by my original statements on Peach Pundit regardless of the fact that my candidate is now the one who has been appointed.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Sigh . . . ok, so by my count this makes 6 or so posters who, with ample amounts of righteous indignation, have taken to the pages of this here blog to assure us that they’ve now made up their minds to vote for MacGinnitie because Kemp accepted the SOS appointment. Yeah, totally plausible.

If that’s honestly the case–my guess, it’s not–then those enlightened voters are right up there with the asshats who voted for Obama because he was going to give them a gas card and pay their light bill.

• HowardRoark says:

Exactly what our party needs is more people who will see the problem, recognize it’s wrong, and then sit back and go along with it. Brian Kemp proved yesterday he was part of the problem.

• Howard Roark says:

To add to your comments AthensRepublican if I remember correctly there were 4 democrat Senators ready to jump. One was Eddie Madden, who decided to remain with the party and Mike Beatty took him to the woodshed shortly thereafter.

• AthensRepublican says:

Yes, Howard, I do remember there was rumor of several Senators following Perdue’s lead and switching but that did not happen at that point. Eddie Madden and I think Don Cheeks was mentioned as well. I don’t remember who the other two were-maybe Rooney Bowen and Jack Hill.

• Ken in Eastman says:

AthensRepublican,

You are correct, it was Don Cheek, Bowen and Hill – and it was 1997 that Sonny became a Republican.

I must say Sonny has stepped over the boundaries of common sense and propriety when he attempted to sway a race between two hard-working worthy candidates. It’s pure meddling and the voters should have been allowed to decide without a candidate with (I) beside his name.

To be clear and fair, Perdue didn’t switch parties because of political advantage. At that time it put him in the minority party – and he automatically became the most hated GOP state senator by the Dems. His switch was a landmark change and gathered a brief mention in National Review at the time.

At that time he told me that his switch had to do with his pro lifestance as a candidate and the intolerance of the Dems for anyone seeking higher office with anti-abortion beliefs as a significant part of their platform.

I was at the first GOP meeting Sonny Perdue attended as a Republican. He spoke at a Houston County GOP meeting about the then-upcoming legislative session and during the Q&A some members of the local GOP gave him a great deal of grief for his positions. In fact, the heat was high enough that I was beginning to think he would consider switching back. It did get ugly at times.

To his credit, he did not pander but stood his ground. Interestingly, the points of contention were the budget and GOP strategy to become a majority.

• DMZDave says:

OK, this makes a lot of sense to me. Sonny became a Republican because he felt Republicans were more sympathetic to his pro-life views and not because he was all that comfortable or even understood Republican ideology.

Someone told me when I returned to Georgia after a long absence that we don’t really have Republicans or Democrats in Georgia so much as incumbents who want to get reelected. That guy nailed it. What Sonny did this week was every bit as arrogant as anything Roy Barnes pulled. Indeed it was Roy’s contempt for voters that ended his career – unless voters forget this year.

• Provocateur says:

This concept that Sonny was pro-life and that is the reason he switched is a crock. Sonny had to be taught and coached Republican principles once he switched.

• Ken in Eastman says:

DMZDave,

Sonny was also a fiscal conservative. I’m trying to be fair and bring some overlooked things to light. Yes, his choice of Brian Kemp (or Doug MacGinnitie) was overstepping his bounds. Voters should decide the race.

Provocateur,

Suffice it for me to point out I was there. This is not conjecture. Did Sonny have to work to learn the “Republican language”? Probably but as I stated he was decidedly pro-life and a fiscal conservative before he switched parties.

Did Sonny switch because of his pro-life stance? Only Sonny knows, but in my opinion, he did.

• fishtail says:

Joe Frank Harris is a Democrat. Very decent fellow who never tried to use his office for private gain. Very different from Sonny Perdue.

• ByteMe says:

And in the eight years he was in office, he accomplished… nada. Same as Sonny. I can’t figure out why anyone would have voted TWICE for either of them… except for the letter after their names.

• Ken in Eastman says:

I once saw Joe Frank Harris discuss education at a governors’ conference and start out with a subject-verb disagreement. As a Georgian, I was embarrassed.

Yep, very different than Sonny Perdue. Sonny can even conjugate and do ‘rithmatic. As for Joe Frank? Let’s just not go there.

4. Sandy Springs GOP says:

The fun part of this blog is the small group of really angry, and really stupid, people post on here.

Look, I like Doug and will vote for him. But for crying out loud people, Jim Cole didn’t get out because six angry guys who post 27 messages on each thread don’t like him. He clearly reconsidered the impact on his family and just decided to go make more money in the private sector. good for him.

The rest of all this wailing is clearly just Doug staffers or supporters who are offended. guys, seriously, give it a rest.

Congrats to Brian. He’s a decent man who I know will do a good job. I think Doug should still run but this is a pretty difficult obstacle to overcome. If he reconsiders, I for one would completely understand.

Doug is a great guy with a great future, and whatever he decides to do I know he will do what he thinks is best for the Party and the state. I support Doug.

Cmon guys. Let’s move on. It’s getting over the top and you’re just embarrassing yourself.

• HowardRoark says:

I’m not shutting the hell up. This has me so fired up b/c it’s so indicative of what’s wrong with the Georgia Republican Party. The other reason I’m so fired up is everyone seems content to look at it, shrug their shoulders, say “that sucks”, and move on. That’s exactly the kind of behavior that has gotten us where we are today (both as a state and a nation) and exactly the sort of behavior that will help it continue.

I ain’t nobody’s staffer, but I’d damn near work for free to make sure Perdue doesn’t get his way in this.

It ain’t right folks.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Howard,

Do you really think the Governor and our (probably being appointed) new SOS will see the light because you complain?

• HowardRoark says:

Well, you got me there. No, I firmly believe Sonny doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ what any of us think. And, he can do that. We voted him in for two terms, and people get the government the deserve.

But, I do feel like if enough people know about stuff like this, they’ll say no to this sort of baloney.

• GOPGeorgia says:

If Sonny runs for something else in the future, such as US Senate, we can hold his feet to the fire. Until then, we can hold our breath.

• Icarus says:

Doug,

That’s a fine spirit to offer as someone who is a district GOP chairman. And intentionally or not, it epitomizes the problem.

Grassroots aren’t allowed to complain, because it might hurt the GOP brand, and won’t change any thing.

It’s this kind of “submit or be ridiculed” position from GOP leadership that gave us 2006 at the national level, and threatens to give us the beating we probably deserve in 2010 at the state level.

I, for one, would rather stand with those who can articulate what is right, than stand beside those with the right letters next to their name, I, R.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Charlie,

I am a pragmatist. We can complain. We can write letters to the editor. We can write letters directly to the Governor. Being a realist, I don’t think any of those efforts would make a dent in this situation. I choose to spend more of my time working with candidates at the county level to make a difference. It may sound strange to some, but once a candidate I back gets elected; I start trying to find another candidate to get elected to another office. I don’t try to micro-manage elected GOP officials in their duties. I accept that I will not always agree with them. It’s very rare that my dissatisfaction with a candidate will lead to me seeking someone else to run against them. I know some candidates will return phone calls and some will not. There’s only one (and maybe one other) GOP elected official that I plan to actively NOT support that I can think of.

As a Chairman, I really try not to take sides in primaries. I do not protect incumbents when they are being challenged in the primary. I try let the voters decide with as little influence from me one way or another. When an incumbent does something I don’t like and it’s bad enough for me to really take issue; I don’t post about it. I wait until they are running for another job, and then when they need help, we have a real heart to heart about why I am not recruiting someone to run against them. That’s just my personal policy.

I don’t complain, but I don’t tell other’s to be quiet either. In my previous post, I was merely suggesting that that Howard waits until Sonny may want his help; then they can have a heart to heart. In the mean time, I don’t think Sonny cares much about what is said on PP. I choose to try to spend my time doing more constructive things. If you want to complain, have at it. Don’t take my silence on an issue as me being in agreement with a bad situation. I just try to spend my time and make posts where something might be able to be accomplished.

• John Konop says:

Sandy Springs GOP

The bloggers do reflect views of many voters. What I have seen is when the different voices on the PP generally agree on a topic the politicians take notice. And this is no different then the concept of doing a focus group. It may not be right a 100% of the time but only a fool would disregard the results. And what I find most interesting is I have not been at one political event without numerous people commenting about what I posted on the PP. I am not saying the politicians listen all the time but they do take notes.

• Mozart says:

No, they don’t, Mr. Konop. You and others are living in, literally, an echo chamber.

You go to GOP events and you keep hanging out with the same old people all the time, and you may “hear” something often enough repeated over and over again, and you presume that it is a more widespread thought.

Echo-echo-echo….

• John Konop says:

Mozart

YOU SAID;

…..It’s not. It’s an echo of the thoughts of —- what? Maybe 25-50 people you meet and know and see more often who nod their heads in agreement with what you say and you think the whole world of voters believes the same thing?
          Echo-echo-echo….

THE TRUTH

A good horse trader ie deal making in business, you learn quickly a hard protest usually means you hit a hot button. And if you ever saw me at an event you would notice I usually seek out people I do not know for may different reasons. Also because I post things that many agree or disagree with on all sides via me being a pragmatic businessman over being a political hack I have friends from all sides. Finally many seek me out from all sides via my business experience for many different reasons and most know I separate business from politics on a dime.

• Mozart says:

Fine. 25-125 people, Mr. Konop, may share the opinion of some of the bloggers. Do you have any idea how many voters there are in Georgia?

• John Konop says:

Mozart

You obviously do not understand the concept of sampling via research methods. In a statically study you only take a small mixed sample to predict results. It is not always accurate but it is right more than it is wrong.

If you apply the same logic to a blog a cross section of support on one topic I would deduce would be very reflective of the broader society. I am sure that is why so many politicians and their staff read the PP.

Agree or disagree with Erick and or the PP he has done an excellent job of getting a cross section of people to reflect their views. I would suggest Erick does get another Democrat front page poster as well because it does give all of us a real snap shot of what is going on in Georgia.

The main front page posters on this blog represent many different views from religious right, pragmatist, hard core libertarians, moderates…..the only view lacking at times is liberals and progressives. Yet the blog does a good job of getting them as commenter’s.

• Mozart says:

Mr. Konop.

You would be right except for the fact that not all posters can be guaranteed to be “unique” individuals. Unique, as in each of these screen names is one separate person and not the same person posting under 2 or more names. That’s Error Source #1.

Also, there is the accounting of the fact that there are not “random” people on this blog. Many of them work directly with campaigns, some campaigns have multiple people blogging on here. That’s Error Source #2.

So, while your theory might apply in other arenas, it clearly cannot possibly be relied upon for any statistical integrity here unless you mitigate the two error sources I mention above.

• John Konop says:

Mozart,

I personally know many of the regular posters on this blog and trust me must do not work for any campaign they just post what they think like I do, agree or not with them. And the people who do PR for campaigns get outed fast.

• Lawton Sack says:

We are not setting policy or making laws here. We are simply sharing raw, human feelings on subjects and posting what we are hearing from voters across the state. I have a desire for my voice to be heard, not only for myself and my family, but also to reflect the voters in my area. Most of what I post is what I hear.

It has been pointed out in many different venues that GA Legislators read PP. In fact, we have had some come on here and post. We have potential legislators that have posted and are current posters on here. If one of them says “I didn’t think about that,” then good.

There are very few occasions that the people on Peach Pundit agree on things, but as John Konop says below, when it happens that we do agree, then notice has taken place.

Part of my responsibilities with the GOP is to support and recruit Republican candidates. This is not a good selling tool.

We are not angry people. We are people that are upset about what is happening. I love life. I love to laugh. I just take the business of the Republican Party very seriously and I think it deserves more than just shrugging my shoulders.

If, as you say, we are accomplishing nothing, then I guess there is nothing to be worried about.

• B Balz says:

Actually the idea of a blog as a focus group is on my mind. I have no doubt some lawmakers will look at PP and other blogs to get a sense on issues. SB31 is a good example.

Many voices came together to object, but the Bill passed.

There is another set of observers on blogs. Political operatives (pol ops) naturally benefit from our ‘shared, raw human feelings’. As a matter of fact, it would not surprise me if a few pol ops don’t post here to ascertain how people may feel on a certain subject.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Lawton,

I think of PP as a megaphone. Because of who reads these posts, there is an opportunity for real input and thoughts posted here are amplified. That amplification means more people will hear those ideas. It’s a good thing.

As long as points made here are logical with correct assumptions, then they may have an impact. Smart people will use a good idea without regard for its source. There are a lot of good ideas here and I am sure some of those will be picked up and used.

I also take conservatism seriously and if we can work to make the GOP better with our ideas, then that’s great. I think it can happen and it makes more sense than banging my head against an oak tree – and it’s less painful.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Damn dudes. Everyone knows why Kemp got the job. He likes cows. Cole liked cheetahs.

Y’all wanna know how you’re gonna get your asses pounded in November. It’s the excuse making for your leadership. Damn, you all put a load of crap in the old man’s mouth. Dah guboner did cuz he could. He didn’t ask no questions, just did.

You’ve watched it time and again as your clowns fall prey to the titty bars and young hotties in short skirts. Then they go back and act like religious saints. Its that horse manure that is going to send y’all packin. Mark my words.

Pary on dudes.

Vote Barnes! He’s ugly as hell but can keep his pants on.

• anewday says:

Your posts hurt my head. I know that you are trying to carry out a persona, but I wish you would have picked one that knew how to use correct grammer.

• B Balz says:

I find bart more objectionable than any other past/present blogger and the last post was especially pigheaded (no offense to pigs).

• Game Fan says:

Sandy Springs
      Some of us don’t like (or dislike) any of the candidates because we simply stick with our own issues/ideology or whatever. Often there’s no attachment whatsoever to anybody in GA politics.

5. Joshua Morris says:

“He allowed spending to grow in Georgia by an outrageous amount.”

Not siding with Perdue by any means here, but I don’t necessarily agree with this particular statement as applied to the overall budget. Even if it were true, it’s the legislature who has the greatest influence on spending anyway.

• Mad Dog says:

Joshua,

I’m not so sure on that. The legislature only gets to spend the general fund.

Ask a GOP hero how much the state spends versus the general fund.

• Mad Dog says:

Byte,

Let’s see. what’s his name includes Motor Fuel taxes as General Funds Taxes: Revenue in the Total General Funds. Then, Lottery Funds, Tobacco Settlement Funds, and others get added in to total revenues available.

Then those are included in total State Funds Appropriations to be included then in Total State General Funds Appropriations.

So … does the Legislature spend only the General Fund? If not, who’s money are they spending?

• ByteMe says:

There are sales taxes on gas, just like on clothes, and those go to general funds, separate from the fuel tax that goes directly to DOT.

What’s his name??

I can’t really answer your questions until I know where in the budget you are referring to. The budget seemed clear to me on what money came from general funds and what came from other revenue sources, but maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

• Mad Dog says:

Byte,

My gosh. I wish I knew Trey’s name. All sales taxes are reported as sales taxes, even motor fuel sales.

Fuel taxes are listed in the budget in the General Fund, even if already ‘allocated’ to the GDOT. [Is that an acronym for G__ Dangged office of Transportation?]

“What is the total expenditures of the State of Georgia?”

“How much of that spending is controlled by the legislature?”

“How much does Georgia Government spend from those ‘other’ funds and what are those ‘other’ funds?”

Better?

• ByteMe says:

The legislature is in charge of allocating the money from all sources, although certain sources are constitutionally and legally restricted (e.g., lottery funds). So the trick that gets played is that the money coming from other sources helps offset cuts from the “general funds”, and in the end many things are not better off except for fishing, it seems.

The legislature even grants the governor a slush fund to do what he wants, but it’s the legislature that determines the amount and the governor that gets to do what he wants with it. Which I actually think is somewhat sane, since the legislature isn’t in session but 3+ months and the governor has to live with it for the next 9 months.

Hope that helps. I don’t know “Trey”, sorry.

• gasteelmagnolia says:

if you use the argument about deficits, the the General Obligations Bonds would also fall under that category. You would basically halt all contruction by the state, which is by the way a major revenue source for private companies (large and small). Talk about shutting down an economy

• Mad Dog says:

gasteelmagnolia,

Are you suggesting we ignore the Constitution? (satire)
            Maybe you’re suggesting the State Government IS THE STATE’S MAIN ECONOMIC ENGINE?

Please, I am making fun of some people, but not you. I like your points.

MD

6. BillonCapitolHill says:

As I do like both Doug and Brian maybe Doug should think about another statewide office. That way we can have two good guys in office. Just a thought.

7. macho says:

Cole’s decision was due to a personal career / family decision. It had nothing to do with doing the “right thing” from a “staying out of the primary” perspective, otherwise he wouldn’t have wouldn’t have jumped at the appointment from Sonny.

8. Georgia Judge says:

Howard,
    Relax man,you are getting way to uptight,remember your fathers advice………

The Governor was well within his priviliges and responsibilities to make an appointmenthe thought might serve for the long term,now granted I understand your dissappointment in him not choosing Doug,but it is done and Kemp will do a great job.I find it a bit niave to think that any responsible Governor wouldnt do the same thing.I mean what would one expect him to do,sit down type out a whitesheet on what he is thinking of doing and then sending it over to GOP HQ’s for approval? I dont think so.

Secondly,how many people out there do you think would just quit there job or walk away from their buisness to serve as interim SOS for six months?I bet the number is close to zero.

• HowardRoark says:

I know what his rights and priviledges are. He had options. You can come up with all the reasons this was a good idea in your head, but the facts of the case remain this: The governor bailed Brian out of what was going to be another difficult primary. He said so himself (“leg up”) Thus, this appointment reeks of cronyism and will do the GAGOP harm in the long term.

You’re a Brian guy. Probably have been for several years. Be happy your guy got a break. But don’t try to deny what just went down.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“Secondly,how many people out there do you think would just quit there job or walk away from their buisness to serve as interim SOS for six months?”

I know how many people would quit their job to run for governor. So far, two.

9. Romegaguy says:

Brian Kemp is running for Secretary of State? I thought as a longtime farmer he has always wanted to be Agriculture Commissioner…

[snicker]

10. Georgia Judge says:

Howard,
    You are correct I am a Brian guy and have been for several years and I can appreciatte your position as a Doug guy and being upset about how things ended up,but the fact is that I believe any past or future Govs would have done the same thing regardless of party affilliation.

Purdue made a short list of appointees, his first option didnt work out so he went to his second choice.Nothing more,nothing less.I disagree with your assessment of the Primary,I happen to think that Kemp was far outpacing Doug,but regardless he still has to perform and win a Primary.

• HowardRoark says:

I’m not upset about the way things “ended up” because it ain’t over yet. But no, I don’t like these latest developments for several reasons you can read all over. Nothing about Brian Kemp screams “Secretary of State” except this appointment. I don’t think any other governor (except maybe Gov. Georgia Judge) would have made that same decision.

Far outpacing Doug seems like a foolish thing to say. You can say he’s the frontrunner, but by all objective measures they’re awful close. Doug is neck and neck in money and rolled up several straw polls. I know straw polls don’t mean a lot, but at the very least they mean he’s resonating with the activist which is important to building an organization. If you want to judge “winners” and “losers” by endorsement list…well, everyone told Mr. Kemp what they thought of his list 4 years ago. Ralph Reed had a hell of a list, too.

11. tobin smith says:

I’ve thought about this a lot. The problem with the Purdue years is simply missed opportunities and political arrogance.

Missed opportunities? How about real tax reform? How about really changing the culture of state government and implementing conservative policies. I think the biggest missed opportunity may have to do with the university system which continues to be incredibly liberal. Sonny just appointed big contributors who only care about football and status to the board of regents. We keep bringing northern liberals into leadership and faculty positions. Guess what they are teaching our kids? I know. I’ve got two at different system schools.

The politics as usual stuff you guys have already touched on too well. Just missed opportunities for real change. I am disappointed. I stopped giving to the national GOP after they spent our future and gave away control by their self-inflicted wounds. I am about ready to do the same with Georgia Republicans. And they don’t care, and don’t get it, with precious few exceptions.

• ByteMe says:

It isn’t “missed opportunities” for anyone other than those who were snookered into voting for him TWICE because of the (R) after his name.

Sonny never had a vision of what he wanted to do. You can’t “miss” an opportunity if you didn’t really want to look for an opportunity in the first place.

• Progressive Dem says:

“Sonny just appointed big contributors who only care about football and status to the board of regents. We keep bringing northern liberals into leadership and faculty positions.”

The best way to ruin an educational institution is for the governor to determine the composition of the faculty. (Actually the best way would be to require creationism be taught.) The Board of Regents is organized to minimize political interference. They have 7 year terms and for the most part are selected from each of the 13 congressional districts. The Regents select the chancelor and the college presidents. Each college has their own Byzantine method of hiring faculty. Injecting a political purity test is ridiculous.

If your kids are challenging your political beliefs, that is a good thing, and it probably has nothing to do with the leadership of the college. That’s what college students and the younger generations do – challenge their parents and the stus quo. And I don’t think a strong case can be made that the college presidents are a primarily “northern liberals.”

• gasteelmagnolia says:

just me, but the rumors swirling associated with the Board of Regents and the next President of UGA seem to be missing….a, I wrong on that one?

12. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Says the man “B Balz”. You all kill me. You get your panties in a wad cuz I point out the glaring facts and you get pissed at my comments. You’re a bunch of friggin morons.

• Mad Dog says:

bart,

How great for you that you don’t know the origins of “panties in a wad.”

If you did, you wouldn’t use it incorrectly as a metaphor for senseless anger.

It’s originally a threat to rape a woman who’s too uppity. Comes from preparation by police of the ‘rape kit’ in the emergency room. Proper evidence gathering requires (or once required that) the panties be removed and wadded up to preserve any human fluids.

“Don’t get your panties in a wad” is a command or a threat delivered from the point of view that real men (not women) rule the world.

Just somewhat devolved from the original meaning.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

dumbass. I knew that, just wanted to see if you were on your toes.

It also has another meaning not steeped in the physical drama you described. It is referenced as one’s under garments getting wadded in the anterior region of a body cavity after strenuous physical activity. Neither fit the meaning I was attempting to convey. But it sounded good.

I may be dumb as hell but I can keep my pants up.

• Mad Dog says:

LOL!

You’ve disqualified yourself from the legislature by learning how to keep your pants up!

Given my experiences and training, the ‘phrase,’ “Don’t get your panties in a wad,” will never sound good. It remains the crude threat by a male Neanderthal type toward ‘sissies’ and women.

We’ll get into ‘harvesting’ pubic hairs from rape victims another time.

Sincerely,
          dumbass

13. IndyInjun says:

Stunning.

7 years later the GOPers find what the Flagots were moanin’ about??????

Sometimes here at PP lately, I think I passed out on a fair ride.

14. Silent Outrage says:

I want to chime in on what Tobin is saying… The Perdue years reflect a total missed opportunity for Georgia. For years Republicans ran on moving government out of Atlanta and into the rest of Georgia. Eight years later, nothing has changed. The only parts of government that should exist in downtown Atlanta are the Legislative Branch, the Governor’s Office, and the Judiciary. Everything else needs to be moved out across the state. There are a host of issues where the Governor took the easy way out. Where was the innovative leadership of a Tommy Thompson or Mitch Daniels?

Look at the issues facing our state right now. They aren’t new, in fact, they have gotten worse over the last eight years from neglect – education, transportation, water, taxes, etc… It’s well known that had Cathy Cox survived the Democratic Primary for Governor she would have given Perdue a real run for his money.

Now as for the issue with Brian Kemp/Doug MacGinnitie… It’s the Governor’s appointment – plain and simple. However, I don’t think anyone should be surprised. As Governor, Perdue has done more to reward his allies than anyone in recent memory. This is no different.

There will be and should be a spirited debate between Kemp and MacGinnitie. Both are qualified and both are good people. They come from different walks of life and Georgia would benefit from both of their service in most normal circumstances. I tend to feel that Georgia would benefit, right now, with a stronger dose of experience from people like Doug MacGinnitie and even to a different extent Gerry Purcell – folks who aren’t part of the politics as usual crowd, but rather come to public service with a true servants’ heart and want to serve.

• Icarus says:

Doug,

• Icarus says:

Well then, we’re right back where we began.

It seems to me the entire Joel M campaign strategy is to tell other candidates to withdraw because they can’t win.

MacGinnitie was equal to his candidate in fundraising, and winning nearly every straw poll. He was (and is) outworking Brian, and winning folks to his side.

So, we have the obligatory influx of sock puppets who represent the campaign operatives to tell us, once again, it’s all over, and Doug should go home.

The real grass roots aren’t real happy with this appointment.

The “money class” is showing its usual arrogance and disdain for those who do the work, and actually turn out the vote.

Bad move for both Joel and Kemp.

• Lawton Sack says:

This was my next fear: People would start talking about pushing out Doug.

First it was “Don’t worry about it. Doug still has a chance to beat Kemp in the Primary.”

Now it is “Doug needs to get out. He can run for another race.”

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Doug’s campaign has been pretty active in the north metro Atlanta area, but how has he been doing in the rest of the state?

The simple fact the Kemp is the anointed one, just like his brother-in-law was hand-picked, and Gerrymandered into his old district is more than enough for me to vote against him (them).

15. Georgia Judge says:

Icarus,
    I dont think JM is telling Doug to get out but the reality is its an uphill battle for him to win,not insurmountable but close.Anyone being marginally realistic had to think that attempting to go from City Council to Statewide was a bit of a reach,to say the least.Brian had many advantages going in and he has done a good job using those advantages.ie name id,statewide network,many local,state and federal official relationships…
    Like Kemp or not he is a tireless campaigner and his work ethic is second to none,and it reflects in his supporter and donor list.Im not sure how their disclosures will compare dollar wise but geographically I think you will find Brian’s will be much more reflective of a complete statewide organization.
    Im always amused how some will try to degrade those that raise dollars and fundraise (and I think those that happen to give regularly and raise regularly are vital to our party) and make a case that they are not as necessary as the grassroots are.The fact is they are both absolutely essential,period.
    Im sure Doug will give the last weeks events proper consideration and make the decision thats best for he and his supporters and if he decides to stay in great and if not Im sure we will see his name in the future.

I do
    Doug is

• BuckheadConservative says:

Since when did State Senate become the farm club for constitutional office? Do you know hold out the possibility that a great executive can come from somewhere other than under the Gold Dome? I personally prefer a candidate who’s accomplished more in the private sector than one who’s just cast a bunch of votes on bills they may or may not have written. Doug isn’t running as a city councilman. He’s running as an executive who has taken an organization from 2 people, to 500 people with a national footprint (to quote his speech).

This whole “ladder” mentality is about nothing but weeding out outsiders who may come in not owing any of the powers that be anything. It’s the idea that outsiders are considered a threat, therefore we must vet them through our “club” before we allow them to advance.

Kemp may be a good guy, but I don’t see anything that tells me he’s great executive. A constitutional office needs a great executive.

• DMZDave says:

Doug has got to be energized by this and he will definitely be able to raise money. Hell, I sent him a check I wasn’t going to send before this nonsense.

Recall that Gary Black didn’t have a chance back when Brian Kemp was the designated Republican nominee for Ag Commissioner. How did that work out? And everyone thought Paul Broun should get out of the Congressional race as well because the Gold Dome had spoken and made their pick. Whoops.

The Gold Dome isn’t doing all that well lately when it comes to choosing the winning candidate. Brian Kemp can’t raise any funds during the session and he now has the additional baggage since the (I) next to his name means “insider” and he was Sonny’s second choice (probably 4th or 5th choice since you can assume Sonny had the conversation with others before he went with Coles)

Voters, particularly Republican voters, are looking to clean house and Brian Kemp, in taking this appointment, has moved into a very dirty house.

• gopgal says:

Guess Jack Kemp didn’t think to tell Paul Ryan that going from speech writer/legislative aide to U.S. Congressman was “a bit of a reach.”

16. Technocrat says:

Amazing that some poster thing SOS is a serious job. It could run well on just stafffers for 4 full years as it has for the past 30.

• Mozart says:

Wonder how much waste and fraud there is in a government department that runs “well” (sic) for 30 years?

Hopefully, Brian Kemp, with the college degree and business background he has, will be able to accomplish an extreme makeover of this office to identify and eradicate the fraud, waste, and abuse that is inherent in any kind of government office that appears to operate “well” on the outside but has all kinds of hidden problems.

• HowardRoark says:

Nah, he’s a creature of the system. Plus, he isn’t accountable to no one but Sonny Perdue and we know how Sonny Perdue likes to operate.

• Mozart says:

This is not a typical “appointee” position where one is accountable to Sonny at all. Kemp is filling a constitutional officer slot. He is accountable to the state now.

• Mozart says:

Okay. Let’s play your way. What will Kemp be more likely to do, or less likely to do, as being an appointee of the Governor’s?

• Mad Dog says:

Oh, file complaints with DOJ about voter laws … make statements to support abortion … spend money appealing court decisions about unilateral violations of voting rights …

Just an opinion that the ex-SOS pulled her political weight and the next one will follow the leader… as well..