Tour de Georgia at the finish line?

Say it ain’t so! More here, here and here.

The Tour was one of the nation’s top professional cycling events that brought roughly $30 million annually into Georgia. It was also one of only three “2HC races” in the United States.

Do I know what a “2HC race” is? Nope. But it sounds pretty serious. Anyway, they are taking donations.

1. BillonCapitolHill says:

Hmm, I don’t think anyone cares about the Tour de Georgia, it was cool when Lance used to ride in it.

2. It’s the best cycling race in American and considered by many as a good tune up for the Tour de France. The ride up Brasstown Bald and the several of the other rides in the mountains rival what the riders see in Europe.

It’s a shame the race is off again this year and I would hope the business community would step up as best they can to save the race for next year and beyond.

3. Georgia Judge says:

No apologist here just calling it like it is,but I give you you due for persistance albeit misguided.

4. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I remember when the state stepped in and gave money to keep the race going…my thought then was that if this was a money making venture, enough private businesses would step in to sponsor it and it would happen every year. It obviously wasn’t a money maker for enough companies, so it isn’t happening.

I attended it in 2005, and it was kind of neat, but I can understand why it is having trouble financially. Bike racing isn’t as neat to watch as football and ice hockey (with fighting, of course.)

• ByteMe says:

Marketing opportunities are rarely money-makers in a way that businesses can easily measure. You don’t look at a golf tournament and say “look how many more customers we got because of that sponsorship”, you look at did your business grow, were you able to close deals at the event, did your key customers want to be there.

In tight times, when few people are traveling for business functions, events are harder to justify, because key clients aren’t able to come see it.

On the other hand, if the state can measure $30 million in increased taxable activities at 6-8% tax rate, a $1.5 million investment is just slightly better than break-even right there and you then get the added bonus of getting good international press for the event. This assumes the $30 million is the correct number in a down economy, which may not be correct.

5. Lawton Sack says:

Does anyone have access to anything that shows the costs (promotion, advertising, law enforcement, etc.) that this race incurs each year? Just curious.

It was always neat to have them ride through, but I never spent a dime because of it. I do know that it brought money into and attention to the State of Georgia. Evidently, though, it was/is not a win-win event financially.

• Lawton Sack says:

Well, the total numbers were tucked into the second link (AJC), but not a breakdown of what the costs were. They claim that it costs $3.5 million to put on and generates $30 million. That is a pretty nice return.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

If it costs the race promoters $3.5 million to put on the event, and the state is claiming it brings $30 million in to the state, the question I have is how much to the folks sponsoring the race actually bring in with it. That is probably the bottom line, and the reason it is not prospering.

6. bluemcduff says:

It was also one of only three “2HC races” in the United States.

I think I can explain this one. For those who watch the Tour de France races an “HC” or above category climb in English is a part of a stage race where there is a steep gradient for a long distance. These climbs are extremely challenging and known for their ability to separate the best racers from the also rans.

The Tour of Georgia had two of those climbs which is why it attracted the best stage racers in cycling such as Lance Armstrong.

It’s a pity the race can’t continue but if it isn’t profitable so be it.