Jim Cole Not SOS; Not Running For Re-Election, Either

January 4, 2010 15:00 pm

by Icarus · 11 comments

Statement from Jim Cole:

Governor Perdue has been a great friend and mentor for years now, and I have the utmost respect for him. While it was a great honor to be considered for the position of Secretary of State, after much prayer and reflection with my wife and family, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my name from consideration.

For the last six months, my wife Gaylyn and I have been planning to transition out of public service. Over the last several months, I have been exploring many different opportunities at Mercer University that would afford me more time with my young children and at the same time provide exciting career opportunities. We had planned to announce after the legislative session that I would not seek re-election in order to take one of these opportunities at Mercer.

The vacancy of the Secretary of State’s office and the Governor’s consideration of me for this position has been an unexpected whirlwind. At first, it seemed like the opportunity of a lifetime. Yet, as the emotions of the moment settled down over the weekend, Gaylyn and I thought through this issue carefully and knew that it would be best for our family to continue with our original plan.

This has not been an easy decision. I am profoundly grateful to the Governor for his confidence in me and the opportunities he has given me.

Serving middle Georgia in the House has been a tremendous honor. The future will hold many things, and I hope to return to public life when my most important priority – my children – are well on their way to success in life.

Jim Cole

HowardRoark January 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Cheetah

BillonCapitolHill January 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

The prime rib special there must have been pretty good!

Jason Shepherd January 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I have said it before in other threads, Jim Cole is a class act and his leaving the legislature is a loss for our entire state. Hopefully he will inspire the next generation of Georgia leaders with the same level of character in whichever position he takes at Mercer.

Georgia Judge January 4, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Jason,
I second your comment,there needs to be more like Cole seeking public service.Mercer will be well served.

bartsimpsonisdaman January 4, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I hear he is gonna be in charge of the pole vaulting events. I hear he got brass poles for the athletic department.

Vote Barnes, he boring as hell but knows how to keep his pants on.

Ali January 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Good statement.

Tater Tate January 4, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Jim is a nice guy sure enough. But he did enjoy the good life in Atlanta and got himself compromised pretty early on. Too much partying. He’ll be missed by that group in Atlanta. If he has found a new commitment to his family through this and decided to give up politics that is a good trade. The GOP doesn’t need another scandal right now. Protecting family is a good thing.

bartsimpsonisdaman January 4, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Damn, lotta of little dancers gonna be out of work.

Hey dudes, watch 11 alive at 6. I hear bigjim ran into a fire hydrant and his wife had to bust the window with his bat (the baseball bat) and drag his stinky ass out. Word is there is a 911 call from the neighbor.

benevolus January 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Gaylyn was overruled by Jesus?

macho January 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Too bad, well I hope the legislator still implements the “Cole Code.”

Romegaguy January 4, 2010 at 9:29 pm

the one he wrote or the one he lives by?

Comments on this entry are closed.