Ethics and Character

Wow. Good for Jim Cole. I knew there was a reason I liked him a lot. As I said before, the pick said a lot more about Sonny than it ever did about Cole, who will probably now cruise comfortably to re-election.

I hope Sonny got the message — this job needs to be filled with a highly qualified person who is going to serve in a capacity as caretaker while the candidates fight it out.

I again said Anne Lewis is a no brainer choice. Her qualifications are unmatched. Her knowledge of election law and the other areas of responsibility at the Secretary of State’s office are unmatched, and she’d just simply be excellent.

She may shoot me for suggesting her, but I think if Sonny wants to set a high standard in office for quality appointments, we need Secretary of State Lewis.

1. Icarus says:

Jim has a great future ahead of him, and I can’t blame him for initially accepting what appeared to be a great opportunity.

I’m equally glad he took a long look at the consequences of accepting such a “gift”, and has decided that the best outcome for all is for a fair election to proceed.

• Lawton Sack says:

My reasoning for asking this question was to look at stopping the domino effect. You pull someone out of the GA House/Senate there is going to need to be a special election, leaving their constituents without representation until after the special election. I don’t know what positions or ongoing legal matters that Randy Evans or Anne Lewis would have to give up to take the S.O.S. position.

We also have to remember that the S.O.S. is more than just elections. They have to deal with the licensing and corporation aspects of it also.

• Doug Deal says:

Matt Carrothers still works for them, I think. I had a lot of respect for him when he worked on Herman Cain’s Senate run a few years back.

Not sure if his expertise includes running the show, but he is certainly bright enough.

2. Technocrat says:

Looks like as many of us know following Handels 3 years, the SecState position is not critical.
    Heck let the staff run it for 6 months and save the money for a year.

3. HowardRoark says:

This whole situation wasn’t about Jim Cole at all. It was about Sonny Perdue trying to elbow two candidates out of a primary by installing his own boy in the office. I suspect Cole will come out of this just fine, and now equilibrium has been restored to the SoS primary.

I wonder if this was a result of the two exisiting candidates unwillingness to bow out. Doug stated his intentions this morning. Does anyone know where Brian Kemp was?

4. Part-Time Atlanta says:

Sounds like a win for the grassroots. Hopefully he’ll appoint a caretaker and voters can then decide between two (or more) good candidates for SoS. The governor should not give any individual the advantage of having an (i) by their name.

• HowardRoark says:

I agree. There are several capable individuals who can fill this seat while the voters make their decision between these two good men.

5. TigerLily says:

Anne Lewis would be a great pick. Randy Evans would be another but I understand he has said he would not take it if offered.

6. Howard Roark says:

Two Howard Roark’s on Peach Pundit. This is to much fun.

It does look like Sonny is losing some of his luster.

7. Fawkes says:

Cole did the right thing. Kudos to him! It will serve him well in the future.

As for Sonny’s actions: This whole thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

8. AthensRepublican says:

This is good news to the people of Cole’s House district. It would have been a shame had these people not have had representation in the House during the session.

9. Ali says:

I would like to see a Republican other than the names that have been floated around. Someone who won’t seek reelection and isn’t favored by {insert you know their names}.