Merry Christmas

lebrun3.jpg

The Gospel of Luke 2:1-20

In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to his own town to register.

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

“Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.”

1. IndyInjun says:

I think I heard him on the roof….I am so excited!

Merry Christmas PPers…….God bless every one of you!

2. Howard Roark says:

The birth announcement of our Lord and Savior was made first to the lowest in stature in society and how did they react?

“When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.”

• Clone Of B. Plyler says:

Merry Christmas Howard! You are right about these shepherds. All of Heaven rolled out to tell them about the birth of Jesus, and they responded. I want to hear His voice and be like them !

3. IndyInjun says:

Heres a gift from Indy to the GOP
    Last year you left gifts under the tree
    Unused Principles lay there you see
    And their truth will set you free.

4. IndyInjun says:

Yes, today is the day to praise Him.

Tomorrow we can remember that the only time he showed anger was the presence of moneychangers in his temple.

5. Ken in Eastman says:

Today is a day to rejoice and to reflect.

Let us also remember that merry originally meant peaceable, peaceful, agreeable and assured.

God rest ye merry, gentlemen;
    Let nothing you dismay.
    For Jesus Christ our Savior,
    Was born on Christmas Day;
    To rid the world of Satan’s pow’r,
    When we would go astray.

Oh, tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy.
    Oh, tidings of comfort and joy.

Merry Christmas!

6. South Fulton Guy says:

For centuries, society has been slowly drifting down a broad river of change, but speed is picking up, and we have now entered the rapids. Even Christmas is not immune to these changes. It has become just a “holiday” to the world—and, sadly, even to some Christians.

“Merry Christmas” has been replaced by “Happy Holidays,” and carols about Jesus have been traded for songs celebrating Santa Claus, winter, family, and friends. Finding Christ-centered Christmas cards has become a challenge. Snowmen and sleighs have taken the place of manger scenes, which were once common in both private and public settings.

This slide away from Christ is the natural progression of the world, but it is not the direction that believers should go. Drifting is easy: you just relax and follow the path of least resistance. But going against the stream requires constant awareness and diligent effort. We must actively guard against letting the world steal Christ from our celebrations.

Christmas is not just a holiday; it is a holy day—the day God came to earth in the flesh of a tiny baby for the purpose of reconciling sinful mankind to Himself. Holidays are numerous, but there is only one Christmas.

The world tries hard to find pleasure in Christ-less holiday observances, but happiness is often elusive when experiences don’t match expectations. If you feel a sense of letdown, you may have drifted away from an authentic celebration of Christmas. Allow Jesus back in, and joy will return.

• ByteMe says:

Eventually, the world turned away from Greek and Roman mythology. Took a few thousand years. Eventually superstition gets replaced by a different set of beliefs.

But there’s a lot of cool artifacts that got left behind.

• South Fulton Guy says:

ByteMe,

I want to ask you something. If you don’t believe in God why did you have to comment on these posts, make that statement or stand against religion?

If there is no God why did you feel so deeply to come on here and put down Christian beliefs? We speak up about our Christian beliefs because the Lord wants us to spread His Word.

If you are a true atheist and don’t believe in God or the Devil why are you so worried to come on here and interact on this post?

Deep inside you it is tugging (your wanting the truth) at your very on heart strings. You want to know the truth.

Jesus died on the cross and took all our sins away. It’s in the oldest history book called the Bible.

I’ll bet you were taught in school that Christopher Columbus discovered that the earth was not flat. If that is so then how do you explain Isaiah 40 verse 22 “ It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth”.

• ByteMe says:

And why do you insist that you must always have your views published and you must evangelize to the rest of us… but no one else’s views are ok to be published? Get a grip, Superstition Boy.

And there are history books older than the Bible, Guy.

As for your last paragraph, you ever climb a 14,000 ft. mountain? Around 11,000 feet, you would understand the verse’s origins better.

• South Fulton Guy says:

ByteMe,

I don’t recall calling for your views to be censored or not published. I only shared why I do not agree with you.

Since you frequently have discorse with many on PP, it is curious that Christians sharing their beliefs during the Christmas celebration gets you feathers ruffled – but that too is your perogative.

You do remind me of the man who stood on the beach watching an approaching tidal wave and said I do not believe in it. My prayer is that that you discover the truth before late for you.

We know what you don’t believe, and for your equal time but what do you believe and why do you believe it?

• ByteMe says:

That’s the difference between us: I don’t feel the need to tell you or anyone else what I truly believe or to claim my beliefs are the only way to live or something bad will happen to the non-believer. You likely can’t fathom how arrogantly self-righteous people who do that sound to everyone who doesn’t believe the same exact superstition.

• Game Fan says:

South Fulton
          You really have no idea about ByteMe’s beliefs. I think you may have jumped the gun. Or not. But anyway this is what pisses people off about Christians. Public piety, judgementalism, ect… Anyways as an ITP conservative, I see it all the time. Folks who have been turned off by Christianity for this stuff. Now if you’re into big Christmas celebrations than how about “More Santa/less Jesus”. And don’t forget about Rudolf and the elves and the Abominable snow man, frosty, ect…

• Game Fan says:

South Fulton
          Do you know anything about economics or political science or history, physics, philosophy, ect… Just wondering what you’re bringing to the table here besides some Bible verses. 🙂

• ByteMe says:

I’m still working on it. 🙂

Mentioned to my wife that maybe we were all just cells in a giant cosmic multi-billion-mile huge body that is the extent of our known “universe”. Some cells are cancer cells, some are functioning cells to make the body bigger and stronger. Cells get created, do their cosmic function, die, new cells come along to take their place.

Then my wife asked, “How do you explain our dog who loves to chase a tennis ball?” Stumped me there.

7. South Fulton Guy says:

Because unbelievers lack an understanding of God’s ways, their opinions and priorities can lead us astray. Christians must be very careful about the people with whom they intertwine their lives.

To help us understand this principle, Paul asks us to consider what the following have in common with each other: righteousness and wickedness; light and darkness; Christ and Satan (2 Corinthians 6:14-15).

The answer is obvious—nothing at all. Righteousness is the antithesis of wickedness; darkness flees the light, and Jesus Christ and the Devil are eternally opposed.

Because of the difference in nature, believers likewise have nothing in common with unbelievers.

Outwardly we’re similar, but inwardly we are totally different.

8. Many people here probably wouldn’t label my personal beliefs as Christian (although ironically, many of our country’s Founding Fathers probably would). Either way, I don’t really understand folks who celebrate their religious holidays by baiting non-believers into silly blog-thread arguments. Nor do I understand folks who take the bait.

Merry Christmas, everybody. Hope you get the chance this week to spend time or at least connect with friends or loved ones that you might not during the rest of the year.

• South Fulton Guy says:

Read the sequence of the threads Steve. No one baited ByteMe and though I disagree on this subject, ByteMe is too clever to be baited.

9. jtimmons says:

The thing I find very sad is the number of people touting to be Christians who seem to forget trying to tear down others…even in political blogs…is not a Christian thing to do.

John 8:7
    “So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her”

• South Fulton Guy says:

jtimmons,

If you are referring to me, my posture was as response to defend the faith not tear anyone down. Far less extreme than the reactions of some over a cartoon that caused riots and deaths.

I am not sure what words of mine accused ByteMe of sinning, were destructive or judgemental.

We are all sinners, the difference is some make the choice to accept Christ, who paid the debt for our sins past and future and they are assured that because of that choice we will not be separated from Him through eternity.

I am not touting to be a Christian – I believe, Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour. If I hurt ByteMe I apologize, but I have not judged him.

Speaking the truth in love is not judgement. Some confuse conviction by God’s Word, with judgement by those who quote it.

• jtimmons says:

South Fulton Guy,
        Actually just referring to those who post on regular basis that seem to savor the rumor mongering and throwing stones (and who have during this holiday season say they believe in Christian values), the ones who seem to take pleasure in trying to tear others down…especially when the only basis of information is a rumor.

I realize politicians and those who work in the political field open themselves up to public criticism, professionally and personally, but it seems in the blogosphere, the anonymous nature of posting allows people to go beyond what is considered appropriate. And it also appears that there are some on this site who consider themselves to be “insiders,” who know the true story, and instead of being honorable, choose this medium to tear down others.

More people read this blog than post, therefore the audience is larger than understood my many. Words are just as destructive, if not more so, as physical attacks. It’s the hypocrisy…calling former leaders hypocrites…its like the pot calling the kettle black, no?

10. Game Fan says:

Well this is a religious thread so between keystrokes I’m slapping myself for being insensitive. I guess I’m still in “Ron Paul/appeal to the left” mode. Sorry to be a turd in the punch bowl. 🙁

11. Donkey Kong says:

I’m just thankful to have a week off from work…

Anything happen in GA politics since I moved away in February? 😉