Time To Celebrate; Then Back To Work

First off, Congrats to David Ralston, Jan Jones, and Ed Lindsey. Well done.

I’m typing this at 30,000 feet above Mississippi on my way to Colorado. There are ski slopes that I have not seen in quite a while, and I intend to get reacquainted with first tracks tomorrow.

It’s been a rough few weeks for me personally, and the Republican party as a whole. The recent political events coincided with crunch time for me at my “real job”. This culminated with me spending the last few days in a virtual bunker with no internets nor cell service. But it’s done, and it’s all good.

Likewise, as one of my friends put it, we were just a clown car short of a three ring circus at the Gold Dome the past couple of weeks. While there’s still some unfinished business with regards to a petition that keeps disappearing (anyone find the clown car yet?), the elections are done, and I’ll call it all good for now.

So it’s time to celebrate. Not so much that one team beat another, but that it’s done. With the end of this act, I challenge everyone to look around at intermission. Notice all those lights and decorations. We’re in the last few nights of Hannukah, and Christmas is staring us down next week. Even for the non-religous, this is a time of appreciating your family, friends, and neighbors. It is a celebration. It is time to celbrate.

With the final holiday of new years, we will again focus our attention on both petty politics and real issues of governance. And when we turn our attention to these issues, I trust we will focus on actions and goals, not people “good” or “bad”.

I still believe Republicans have one chance to get this right. To do so, we’ll need to see concrete action. We must have real reform. Real Change.

But that can wait. For now, I’m thinking about fresh Colorado powder. It’s how I like to celebrate.

Regardless whom you supported, or even if you’re on the Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or non of the above. Find some time to celebrate the next couple of weeks as well.

Icarus out.

1. Icarus,
    Agree 100%!!! But, I just won’t have as much time to celebrate as others (I’m pretty good at ‘concentrated’ effort though, even when celebration is what I’m concentrating on).

2. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

barrrrffffff. Like you folks have done a damn thing. Y’all kill me. I’m thinking of posting my top 10 dumb asses of peach pundit.

When all your pals you worked so hard to cover for are run off, I’ll sit back and laugh my….

3. IndyInjun says:

Celebrate?

That was just one step and a pretty small one at that.

Yeah, a lot of folks here and across the state ramped things up pretty fast and to good effect.

There is much, much more to do, diminishing time, and not enough good folks (yet) to throw in the breech. The days, weeks, and months portend to be the most trying since the Revolution. God willing, the honest and capable out there won’t continue to sit on the sidelines.

The GOP has been set on single issues, principally abortion, as ‘litmus’ tests instead of measuring officials against the core set of 5 to 10 principles that the party professes.

We spent too much time obsessing over things that were not going to happen like gay marriage and banning abortion, which gives the sycophants meaningless issues to run on, while allowing them to plunder within the greatest theft in world history.

To take over this party, we need to measure each GOP candidate against this list of principles – every chapter in the state needs to participate – and REFUSE TO SUPPORT the ones who abandoned nearly every one of them.

You see, it has now gone beyond just having officeholders lie, cheat and steal with abandonment just because we want to preserve their accrued power.

What it comes down to is each one of us looking inward and deciding the corrosive effect on our very souls that supporting liars has. Furthermore, how do you explain to the children that we inherited the greatest nation on earth, only to turn it over to known maggots? How do you explain to them that you kept supporting people who stabbed you in the back and repeatedly demonstrated to all the principles of a meth-addicted, embezzling, sex-crazed lunatic?

How do you explain how principles were twisted like pretzels so that mad-spending “Republicans” could keep the mantle of fiscal responsibility in much the same sanity that Obama wins a peace prize and Bernanke is man of the year?

We stand on the brink of collapse. We best have found the best people possible to pick up the pieces, instead of reelecting the crooks and fools who lead us to ruin.

Ic, stay in one piece and have fun.

We are going to find out what we are made of – soon.

The middle class of America is targeted for extinction and too many of the executioners call themselves “Republicans.”

4. sonofliberty says:

“God bless us, everyone!”….. “Tiny Tim” Cratchit….”A Christmas Carol”…….Charles Dickens

5. IndyInjun says:

Fair Tax Friday – The Book Versus the Bill

Ken, you won’t find this level of discussion anywhere on the net.

6. IndyInjun says:

OK, I am going to try to post that last one as a URL and as a clickable link….

The Book Versus the Bill

What we should be worried about is that the Obama VAT lovers will adhere to the base that Linder, Boortz, and Ox built for a national sales tax. We all know that the masses only hear ‘national sales tax’ and don’t sweat the details, so why wouldn’t the VAT succeed in jumping on the FT movement?

You’re doing a heck of a job, Boortz. Now we get BOTH a national sales tax AND keep the income tax.

Idiot.

• IndyInjun says:

Thanks,

THIS blog has a close-out date for posts, too, so it was not possible to simply post a reply to the existing thread.

I cannot start a front page topic, so I just pick one OT.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Indy,

Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out.

Most Fair Tax supporters understand the difference between a VAT and a national sales tax (along with repeal of the national income tax).

Personally, without a US Constitutional Amendment I would not support a national consumption tax. I don’t trust this administration – or any other administration in the future – with that kind of power.

• IndyInjun says:

I think you will see that Fair Tax supporters have been told a lot that is not true.

You will also note, that I posted how to fix the darned thing.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Indy,

Thanks, I did. I read your list. I’m still working my way through everything while I finish up other business.

• IndyInjun says:

I went back over those. There were some prior to then, in which we got into citations of the legislation, how existing state sales taxes interelate, and how sales taxes actually work. Citations to case law were included.

If I ever do anything with all that stuff I really need to go back and find those other threads.

7. IndyInjun says:

One very good comment came from Icarus –

Doug,

Here’s the real question for you.

John Linder co-authored the bill.

John Linder co-authored the book.

Only one can be voted on.

Why isn’t what’s “in the book” in the bill?

Seems to me it’s been around long enough that the two could easily be reconciled if there was an honest attempt being made to make “the concept” that the cultists have sworn allegiance to match “the bill” which is the only part worth debating since it, and not “the concept”, is what will have the power of law.

Bill Simon wrote – Neal and the other FTers would like to not hear from you on this anymore and, instead, continue smoking dope. Its funner.

What I cannot imagine is why someone running for GOVERNOR would make the FT a major campaign issue when it is a federal tax and the most ridiculous and punitive negatives about it are its effects on state tax revenues. Any state or local pol running on this doesn’t know what the hell he is campaigning for.

Max Burns got blown away supporting it.

Inez Tennenbaum made a close race against Jim Demint because of it.

8. South Fulton Guy says:

Unbelievable that with all of the legislative priorities that the citizens of Georgia have, Jan Jones has taken the Miltonite torch/baton from Mark Burkhalter to advocate now statewide that we should split Fulton County.

Her duty is now to all the electors in Georgia, not just a small fringe group in North Fulton that wants to split off from Fulton County.

It is unlikely that an Obama Civil Right Justice Department that prevents GA from ensuring that voters are US Citizens, will let them split Fulton into a Majority White and Affluent North County and a Majority Black and no as affluent South County.

Items like splitting the school system, unraveling the bonds, MARTA and Grady funding along are insurmountable in a vain attempt for so-called potential financial efficiencies that will never come about.

We need to focus on ethics, transportation, water and private sector jobs, not waste political capital on a session movement that will not prevail.

9. B Balz says:

@South Fulton Guy:

Fact or Fanstasy. Has Rep. Jones indicated anything to support your statements or is this a pre-emptive strike?