Speaker Ralston

They chose wisely, it seems. At least most of the unaffiliated people tend to be telling me that.

Also, I’m told several legislators are smirking today feeling like they delivered a blow to the Governor in the process of electing David Ralston as Speaker.

1. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Too bad it didn’t happen last year…then we could have avoided this whole mess.

Congratulations to Speaker Ralston!

• B Balz says:

I have to believe that the House members DID look here and listened to their constituents in making today’s historical decision to elect Speaker Ralston.

Good work was done today, believe it!

2. Doug Deal says:

I am impressed that thge vote went against the pressure, which is a good thing.

I am curious as to how this will effect those that were pushing O’Neal.

• ByteMe says:

With only the barest of majority vote, it’ll be hard to take a revenge posture without alienating half the caucus.

• Ken in Eastman says:

steelfist,

I know David Ralston and that is simply not his style or persona. When he says he loves Larry O’Neal and Bill Hembree, I have no doubt he means it. When he says he needs them to succeed, I have no doubt he means it, and logic dictates the same.

I believe things are about to get better. It won’t be perfect and there are difficult times ahead, but I do believe it will be much better and the business of the state will be the entire focus from David Ralston.

3. Ken in Eastman says:

Congratulations to David!

We have a tough row to hoe, but we have the right man to lead.

No more embarrassment from the leadership.

• ieee says:

Uh, Criminal Jerry Keen is still there and Ralston supported his illegal “Sex Offender” laws. Until that is fixed or they are gone, they will continue to be a disgrace to Georgia and the United States.

4. GOPGeorgia says:

I have put my faith in the GOP caucus and they have not let us down. I am glad others were willing and wanting to serve, but I have known David for quite a few years and I am sure he will do a wonderful job.

CONGRATLATIONS SPEAKER DAVID RALSTON!

5. AthensRepublican says:

I took the day off to head over to the Capitol arriving about 30 mins before the caucus vote. I was able to observe (not hear) some of the exchanges on the House floor.

I noted that several legislators went out of their way to find Larry O’Neal while it seemed David Ralston and Bill Hembree both were seeking out people to speak with. That concerned me and led me to believe that perhaps O’Neal had the votes. The O’Neal supporters looked relaxed and confident. After the caucus meeting began and during votes, I noticed David sitting by himself and that concerned me also.

After it was announced that the race would go to a second ballot, I noticed David seemed much more relaxed and at that point I felt that he would pick up enough of the remaining votes to win. During the second vote I noticed David was no longer alone- more legislators were milling around him than before.

In the days of Murphy-Coleman-Richardson the tradition has been retribution against your opponent’s supporters. David Ralston has said that will not be the tradition anymore under his leadership. Rep. Jacobs said in reference to announcing his support last night on PP that he had “put his head squarely on the chopping block.” Ralston threw the chopping block out the door.

When Bill Hembree lost on the first ballot, I saw David Ralston walk over to Bill and reached out to him in a genuine warm manner. After David Ralston won on the second ballot he walked over to Larry O’Neal and embraced him with a big bear hug (as big a guy David is Larry might have some fractured ribs).

David Ralston is a class act gentleman. It’s not just his words but his actions. I know he will make this state proud as it’s next Speaker. Thank you to our House GOP caucus-you did the right thing!

• AthensRepublican says:

In fairness to Terry Coleman, I should not lump his model of leadership in with Murphy and Richardson as far as retribution and vindictiveness. I had other major complaints with Mr. Coleman though. I correct myself.

6. Silent Outrage says:

It is encouraging that a man of Ralston’s character and ability emerged successful today. All is not lost for House Republicans. Today they let it be known that they have heard the people of Georgia speak up and are committed to turning hte page on a new chapter of conservative leadership in Georgia.

7. Ken in Eastman says:

A link to the ajc.com by James Salzer that discusses David Ralston: http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/new-house-speaker-seen-249846.html

“When Rep. David Ralston takes over as expected next month as Georgia’s next House Speaker, he’ll get about a $100,000 salary, a prime suite with staff, a security detail with a car, and a Capitol full of supplicants hoping to win his favor.

It’s all a bit much for a plain-spoken Blue Ridge lawyer who describes himself as a simple guy with simple tastes, an outsider in a place where insiders generally rule.”

Here is the take in the Macon Telegraph by Travis Fain: http://www.macon.com/206/story/958810.html

“The top Democrat in the Georgia House of Representatives called the body’s new speaker-to-be a “thoughtful” legislator Friday, saying he’s more likely to “approach things in a bipartisan way” once the 2010 General Assembly session opens next month.”