Mike Jacobs throws down the gauntlet, takes up where John Lunsford failed

Hours after the stunning reversal of State Representative John Lunsford concerning his efforts to bring about elections for all leadership seats within the Republican caucus, State Representative Mike Jacobs (pictured) has taken up the cause for genuine reform. In an e-mail received this evening, Jacobs has announced that he will have a petition ready for signatures from his fellow caucus members to force elections for any leadership position the caucus feels is necessary. As Jacobs makes clear in his e-mail:

Make it known that any member who wants to sign a renewed petition should see me at Thursday’s caucus meeting.

Additionally, I’m hearing from various sources that Lunsford’s afternoon of cowardliness has cost him any chance in the election for Whip and that State Representative Ed Lindsey is now the odds-on favorite.

1. AthensRepublican says:

Some on PP were promoting John Lunsford for Speaker several days ago. If all this is accurate, I hope he suffers an embarassing loss for the Whip position.

Good luck to Mike Jacobs!

• B Balz says:

Shrewd young man. Bought in early on to the North DeKalb incorporation debate, winning House and Senate friends in doing so. Changed parties, but it didn’t bother me since he went GOP.

Mike is smart and tough, this is a really good move on his part. I don’t think he will cave.

Dream Team:

Speaker Ralston
      Speaker Pro Tem Millar
      Whip Ed Lindsey

Now I’d like to know if anyone actually knew if these guys even like/respect each other enough to lead our State through the weeds of the 2010 budget.

2. acoalson says:

Lunsford is a coward and a fool. He had more support than he realized. Now the respect he had garnered because of his stance has been lost. I hope that whatever Keen promised him is worth it.

3. Benevolus, I believe you mean the Mike Jacobs who won by a landslide in his district last year after becoming a Republican, right?

The same Mike Jacobs who Chris Huttman claimed would lose — because of the (non-existent) Democrat trend of his district?

• Progressive Dem says:

Anybody that changes parties doesn’t know their own principles. An elected official that changes parties is a hypocrite.

• macho says:

Don’t forget, that was during the Obama election, which was the best election conditions for the Dems in recent history.

• benevolus says:

Michelle had to run as an independent. She was a last-minute replacement for that idiot who doesn’t know where he lives. Nice of her to step up to the plate, but all the money and energy had already been spent.

• benevolus says:

I might add that under the circumstances, it should be embarrassing that Jacobs didn’t get 90%. Even with an unknown independent candidate with an almost non-existent campaign that started late, running against an incumbent, 33% STILL rejected Jacobs.

Party-switching itself is only a little part of it. He ran as a Dem, and then right after the election he switched when he saw which way the wind was blowing. It had nothing do with his beliefs. Either that or he is a flat-out liar for campaigning on one platform all that time and pitching it all overnight. The generous view would be that he is just a mercenary.

• B Balz says:

At the time of the switcher-roo, Rep. Jaocbs became an ‘early adopter’ of the City/Township movement for Brookhaven. This is all part of the overall Milton County/City crowd and a flat out rejection of big county government.

Sen. Weber, Fran Millar, Dick Williams, Wendell Willard, Jan Jones, Mark Burkhalter, and Mike Jacobs all advocate smaller local government. They seem to be correct.

Big county government is largely a Dem institution and Rep. Jacobs represents folks that rejected former DeKalb CEO Vernon Jones as much as they rejected big County government.

Switching parties while in office is hardly worthy of bonus points, but that’s what happened.

• Mad Dog says:

A Democrat got 33%? Sure it was that one sided for an ‘incumbent’ party switcher?

How hard it is to get 67% of the vote when running against the third Munchkin on the left?

My apologies to Michelle Conlon.

4. Silent Outrage says:

I’m glad that someone is finally standing up and being smart about these problems.

The only logical solution is a complete vote on all leadership positions.

Do the right thing House Members. Do the right thing.

5. IndyInjun says:

Question – Is everybody doing more than posting here? Is anybody besides me contacting Reps, emailing, and trying to mobilize the people?

• Jeff says:

I’m playing more of an “interested observer” role, talking to a few people and providing input when asked, but otherwise basically just watching and commenting on what I see.

• Life and Liberty says:

didn’t correctly read Indy’s comment. Please disregard my last…
          I’ve been @ the capitol since last Thursday. Our group had about 40 there that day.
          I have visited every office of every rep from my county offering my support and encouragement to do the right thing.
          there are currently several County GOP executive boards which I am aware of putting together resolutions to this effect, to be sent to their county delegation.
          Many of the folks from last Thursday will be there tomorrow, hopefully joined by even more.
          Wish I could be among them, but I have to go to court that morning.

• 1magnoliapeach says:

Well, I TRIED to contact my rep, (Cobb county!), even left my cell phone number and EMAIL. Not a single call back and that was on Saturday. I thought for sure I would hear by now. He gets one more day to respond, or he will not get my vote the next time around.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Be sure and call again and let your representative know that and know why. It might help “constituent services” in the future.

• Ken in Eastman says:

When I called my state rep much earlier to tell him that “Richardson must go!” I only got as far as telling him I was concerned when he started to tell me that corruption and arrogance have no place in the state legislature regardless of party and that if we are going to do the right thing that political party could not be a consideration – just what is right.

I was a happy guy when I got off of the phone.

In addition he followed up with me later. :-)

• Ken in Eastman says:

Oh and the full Dodge County GOP got a full explanation of what was happening. No one attempted to defend any of the Georgia House leadership team and were relieved that Richardson had announced his resignation.

6. Debra says:

If the Republicans want to get back the confidence of their constituents, Keen can not continue in a leadership role Jerry Keen is and has always been a large part of the leadership problem. He is a smooth talker, plays a great guy on TV, but in reality he is an arrogant SOB, who is only interested in what he and his elite friends get out of it ! ! ! I’ve known Jerry Keen for years and he is a two faced, tell you anything I need to tell you, kinda of guy! JERRY KEEN NEEDS TO BE REMOVED!

7. Goldwater Conservative says:

I think the only question anybody should be asking Jacobs is when he is going to change parties again.

It probably will happen when the Democrats take the majority again…which will not happen in most of our life times.

8. benevolus says:

Well he obviously has detected a change in the wind as far as Republican leadership goes. Where was he last year or the year before on ethics reform?
    Mike seems to like to be on the winning team.

• Elin is Hot says:

Sour grapes much? A Jewish legislator gets fed-up with being associated with the political party of Billy & Cynthia McKinney, and switches parties, and you chalk it all up to it being a matter of convenience to be in the majority?

• benevolus says:

I don’t believe that. I don’t think Mike Jacobs thinks the Dem Party is anti-Jewish. And if you think he’d let Billy McKinney determine his political philosophy for him, you must think less of him that I do.

• benevolus says:

So rather than try to make Dems better for Israel, you chose to make Republicans better for African Americans?

• AthensRepublican says:

Perhaps the GOP wanted him more than the Democratic Party?

He isn’t the only former Democrat in the House majority. Tommy Smith, Chuck Sims, Greg Morris, Butch Parrish, Larry O’Neal, Tom McCall, Bob Lane, Ann Purcell, Penny Houston, Roger Williams, Mickey Channell are all former Democrats. In fact, if all were still Democrats, the GOP would only have a razor thin 6 vote majority in the House. Why are you picking on Mike?

• Ken in Eastman says:

I’m glad Representative Jacobs is a Republican. He is a fine addition to the GOP and has shown courage and leadership.

I know you guys wish you had him back; I don’t blame you for that. We; however, hope he stays with us. We need him.

benevolus, I don’t know if anyone could make the Dems better for Israel. Look at the current administration in Washington. Look at Jimmy Carter. Israel has been a strong US ally and we have thrown her to the wolves. This whole country should be ashamed of that.

9. Rep. Mike Jacobs says:

Thank you.

To those who seem to want to chalk everything up to political expediency: Those for whom I have worked and with whom I have talked this week know that my neck is squarely on the chopping block. I’ve even told the candidates I am not supporting why I am supporting another candidate.

It’s politically perilous, not politically expedient. And I don’t care what consequences I might suffer, as long as we have what I believe to be the best shot at righting the ship.

Something to ponder as you carp from the comfort of your pseudonym.

Mike Jacobs
    R (yes, R) – Atlanta

• AthensRepublican says:

Good luck Rep. Jacobs! I am disturbed by your comment that your “neck is squarely on the chopping block.”

It should not be that way. Is Richardson’s ghost still hanging around the Capitol?

• benevolus says:

What consequences? You’re already in the LOB aren’t you? What would happen, they would put you in the basement?

Beware of David Ralston! “I will not put with backbiting and bickering and this intra-family tensions very long.” He’s talking to you! A known turncoat!

Benjamin Franklin often wrote under a pseudonym. In fact, Benevolus is one of them. What’s the problem?

• Ken in Eastman says:

Why in the world do you think David Ralston is talking to Mike Jacobs?

I believe David was attempting to make sure that people like Representative Jacobs were protected – not punished!

And yes, Ben Franklin used a pen name on occasion – but so did Samuel Clemens. Like you he was an author of fiction.

• Ken in Eastman says:

Yes he did – but that was not my point. :-)

benevolus has made this one up out of whole cloth. By the way, I’m not going to criticize folks too harshly for screen names. Here’s a closely guarded secret: My parents surname is not “in Eastman.” Please don’t tell anyone.

10. benevolus says:

I guess my question for Rep. Jacobs is this:
    Why is it when your new friends the Republicans are in need of some reform, you are willing to step up and lead and try to gain reform from within, but when you felt that Dems -who had supported you for years- were in need of some sort of reform, your choice was to bail out?

11. IndyInjun says:

Mike Jacobs wrote – Something to ponder as you carp from the comfort of your pseudonym.

First, thanks for making a principled stand.

Second, you assume that the ‘psuedonym’s” on here cast rocks from the shadows. On that you are dead wrong.