Clay Cox to run for Speaker Pro-Tem

We got word this morning that State Rep. Clay Cox will run for Speaker Pro-Tem, which is being vacated by Mark Burkhalter. Here is the letter he sent to the House Republican Caucus:

It’s been a tough couple of weeks, and we are now faced with not just finding new leadership but hopefully forging a new direction for our caucus and our chamber.

To that end, I am announcing my candidacy for Speaker Pro Tempore of the House.. I do so because I believe that the new brand of leadership in our caucus, and for our cause, should look and act differently. If we truly want to move our agenda of conservative constitutionalism forward, we must do so in a way that says to our citizens that the partying- mentality is over. We must get down to serious business. The challenges we face demand nothing less.

As many of you know, I am founder and CEO of a large multi-state corporation. Over the last 18 years, I have perfected a brand of leadership for myself and my management team that we call “Listening Leadership”. Listening Leadership begins with the leader’s vision for an organization. The leader then utilizes the human resources within the organization to perfect the vision and develop
strategies to implement a common vision.

As Speaker Pro Tem, this will be my approach- because I believe that our leadership has lacked in listening. As a result, our citizens sadly question our vision, let alone our ability to achieve one. Together we will restore confidence in our caucus and develop a legislative vision that our people will be proud to support: one of creative strategies to reduce how much we tax the fruits of their labor and improve the way we serve their families and businesses.

These are the things that successful business leaders do everyday- if they involve the intellect that surrounds them.
Politically and personally, you all know me by now. I am a conservative fiscally and socially. I’m a pro life Christian, and I firmly believe that our founders got it right the first time. I was our party’s nominee for Congress (13th) in 2002, and I have served you as Chief Deputy Whip and as Hawk. You also know that I go home at night to my wife and children- and that will not change.

It is time that we grant positions of leadership based on leadership ability. I possess that ability, and respectfully seek your support.

Gratefully,
Clay Cox

1. MariettaLegal says:

Wonderful – but get rid of the power mongering “Hawk”

The next questions: 1 what did you know, 2) when did you know it 3) what did you do about it? Just the facts. Where you complicit?

2. CMOB says:

Clay Cox is a stand up guy and would do well in leadership down at the capitol. He could bring a new level of reliability and integrity to the administration of state affairs. He’s a good choice among the few.

3. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I’m sure he’s a good guy, but I’m not sure being made a Chief Deputy Whip by the current leadership is a plus. I think I’d keep quiet about that.

4. ksuowls81 says:

What is the deal with all this are they connected with past leadership? Everyone down there is connected in some way, shape, or form to past leadership. It’s not like Glenn and his woman friend were getting it on from the well in the House Chamber. It was a secret that was kept pretty well under wraps obviously if it is just now coming out and in such a exhorbient way.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I think the concern is that the current leadership (like most in leadership) only pick people they think they can control to be in lower leadership positions. It’s not likely that Richardson et al would pick someone that might buck their decisions to be a whip. I’m not saying that anyone who has served as a deputy whip is like Richardson and his friends in leadership, but just pointing out a valid concern that some people might have.

I know that there is one person whose name has been mentioned that resigned from a deputy whip position several years ago in order to be able to follow his conscience on legislation and n0t feel bound to the wishes of the leadership.

• foray says:

So true- even folks like David Ralston and Terry England were friendly with Glenn.

Glenn messed up- had an affair and recently went off the deep end- end of story- he was a good speaker its not an easy job to corral the 180 members of the House

Glenn’s actions should not be used to destroy other members of the leadership-

• Ken in Eastman says:

Ralston was so friendly with Glenn Richardson that he stood against him when it mattered and risked Richardson’s wrath. Yeah, that was really friendly. David Ralston put the state ahead of Richardson.

Glenn Richardson was a lousy speaker who was petty and vindictive when he was opposed. He wound up being Tom Murphy Lite.

People who supported Richardson are complicit in betraying the people of this state. Yes, this should count as a strike against their judgment.

• macho says:

“It was a secret that was kept pretty well under wraps obviously if it is just now coming out”

Are you kidding me? Obviously it wasn’t much of a secret when Bobby Kahn filed his ethics complaint 3 years ago.

• macho says:

I think part of the problem is you had a leadership that was prepared to back Burkhalter, who has the same problems as Richardson, talk about driving the caucus off a cliff. It wasn’t until the “rank and file” uprising in Macon that things started to change.