BREAKING: Speaker’s Election To Occur Before Session

Details are still being worked out, but it appears that there will be an election for a new Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives prior to the beginning of the new session.

In addition, it is unconfirmed, but two sources indicate that Mark Burkhalter will not be running for the permanent position.

1. ByteMe says:

Spanked!

Now if they would only elect a speaker who lives in the Atlanta area, so we can get some lovin’….

2. Doug Deal says:

If this is truly an election and not a rubber stamp of the current leadership’s preference, then well done.

After the debacle surrounding Richardson’s departure and the plan that was concocted, the old saying “Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.” comes to mind.

3. YossarianLives says:

When Richard Nixon left office, Gerald Ford thought the only way the country could move on was to forgive Nixon.

The only way the State of Georgia can only truly take care of business is to elect a Speaker before session starts. This are troubling times and we need solid leadership that will help this state. This is a good call, and hopefully the House Republican Caucus will have new leadership going into 2010.

4. Ken in Eastman says:

Congratulations to the rank and file GOP members of the Georgia House. Now just continue sweeping with that broom.

5. AthensRepublican says:

Great news and I agree. It is time to clean the House. It is great to hear that the people are finally being heard. I hope this news is true!

6. GOPBuckhead says:

Edward Lindsey. Honest, smart, fair. We need more people like him in public office.

Wish Lee Morris was a rep, too….

7. fishtail says:

Erick…you deserve some applause for your gutty post this morning, calling for heads to roll. That’s apparently starting to happen.

• Icarus says:

Nice try Jeremy, but for those that can’t read a sarcasm font, let me say that Tom’s folks were among the first I called, and there was absolutely no interest in anything but his Congressional bid.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Graves would be my first choice for Speaker, but since he’s a little busy, Rep. Loudermilk would be a good alternative. He and Graves are very close philosophically, and both instrumental in the 216 group.

In any case, any dedicated 216 member would be better than the current leadership.

• I knew you were being sarcastic. That’s why I answered with blunt honesty. Good ole fashioned ribbing on my part as well. I just like dry humor a bit more. šŸ˜‰

8. flyonthewall says:

I’ve been hearing alot of chatter about Rep. Mike Coan. Finally, someone who is a strong conservative and a good family man. I hope with enough encouragemet, he decides to run.

9. Mad Dog says:

The real political news isn’t the election. The election is overdue as the ‘termination’ is long overdue.

However, I’m glad PeachPundit and its reasonable cast of real leaders now control the GOP and our State Government.

Well done to the blog sphere.