Richardson’s statement.

Here it is.

“Effective January 1, 2010, I will resign my position as Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives and as state Representative for the 19th District in Paulding County.

It has been an honor to serve the citizens of Paulding County as their Representative for 14 years and as Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives for the last five years. During this time, I have appreciated working with the members of the House and the people of Georgia to keep state government efficient and ensure a low tax burden for our fellow Georgians.

As Speaker, I have been well served by the entire staff of the House of Representatives, especially the staff in the Speaker’s Office. To each of them I offer my profound thanks for their tireless efforts. And to my many friends and supporters throughout the state, thank you for standing by me even in the most difficult times. My service would not have been possible without you.

I am confident that House Leadership will continue to lead the House and its members as they serve all Georgians to the best of their abilities.

I recently made public that I have suffered from depression for many years. I continue to seek treatment and have made progress in dealing with this disease. In making this public disclosure, it was my hope to raise awareness and encourage others who suffer from this disease to come forward and seek treatment. I fear that the media attention of this week has deflected this message and done harm to many people who suffer from this condition.

I am thankful for the opportunities my service afforded me to make Georgia’s future brighter. Though I will no longer be serving in elected office, my commitment to see a better tomorrow for our state remains. As always, I am confident that Georgia’s best days are still ahead.”

1. fishtail says:

Bobby Kahn was much maligned and disparaged by Richardson and Eric Johnson for having the guts to file the ethics complaint 3 years ago. Now it seems that Kahn gets the last laugh. It took 3 years for the poison to kill off Richardson, but it finally worked. Good job, Bobby, wherever you are.

• GOPGeorgia says:

I talked with Rep. Ralston earlier today. At that point, there was no vacancy, so he wasn’t campaigning for anything. Who knows, he might be persuaded to throw his name back in now.

• Ken in Eastman says:

I would like to see that. I remember David well from when he ran for state attorney general. He’s the type of person we need in there.

2. GOPGeorgia says:

Atlanta—Georgia Republican Party Chairman Sue Everhart released the following statement:

“Glenn Richardson made the right decision today. He and Speaker Pro Tem Mark Burkhalter will smoothly transition power to ensure the General Assembly is best prepared to face the upcoming session. Georgia Republicans will continue efforts to solve the problems facing our citizens, and I hope Glenn and his family will have the opportunity to heal.”

• AthensRepublican says:

I wonder if Sue Everhart is still blaming the ex-wife as she did in this morning’s Marietta Daily Journal:

“Georgia Republican Party Chairwoman Sue Everhart of east Cobb predicted that whatever is decided will take place in the next week. Everhart said she wasn’t ready to take a position on Richardson continuing to serve, saying she would let him and the House leadership make that decision.

However, she did question why Susan Richardson waited until now to reveal her allegations.

“I didn’t see any reason for her to bring it out now. That was two years ago. That was the time if she had a story to tell,” Everhart said.

Susan Richardson said in her interview with Fox 5 that she was being blamed by her ex-husband for his suicide attempt and she wasn’t going to accept that blame.

But Everhart said for the sake of the children, divorces should be kept private. Everhart said no one in the state has worked harder to help her elect Republicans than Richardson has.

“No one can fault the leadership he’s given Georgia,” she said. ”

Basically, she is saying if only Susan Richardson had kept hush all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided. A ridiculous and disappointing assessment from our GOP Chair.

3. South Fulton Guy says:

The real question is will Speaker Pro Tem Burkhalter pass on the speaker position as he contemplates leaving the House altogether for another opportunity?

4. B Balz says:

Light grows dim on day gladly forgotten by some, and when it can seem no worse….

The thought of SpaceyG sexting!

AAAAAAAccccccckkkkkk!

5. HankRearden says:

I’m just glad to see another cheating elected official leave office. I do not care what party you associate with or what gender you are, do not cheat on your spouse. If you want to cheat get a divorse first it is the only right thing to do.

• Jeff says:

Its not really the cheating so much as the threatening. Cheating is between no one but the people involved. Threatening is a MUCH bigger issue – particularly when those threats involve abuse of power.

6. Silent Outrage says:

Given that there are so many “other shoes” rumored to be dropping, I think it could be possible that this will be the last session that the Republicans will control the House and maybe the Senate too, depending on what shoes drop and when.

• ByteMe says:

Nope. You have to have a vital opposition with a winning message and strong bench. That’s not how anyone describes Georgia’s Democratic Party.

• Silent Outrage says:

I hear there are massive primary challenges going on in various districts right now including on the coast where they cannot believe that Jerry Keen knew about this the whole time and did nothing to stop it.

Pretty sad for the former Chairman of the Christian Coalition of Georgia.

• Ken in Eastman says:

It will be on an individual basis. People who have not had serious ethical lapses will have nothing to fear. The Republican Party will retain control of both state houses.

7. AthensRepublican says:

Don’t count on it. I expect the Republicans will make gains everywhere in the next election. The Democrats have nothing to offer.

• Icarus says:

Just like that strong platform the national dems ran on in 2006, right?

I think it only contained “we’re not them.”

Remind me, how did that work out for us/them?

8. fundy1611 says:

Whatever damage this has caused the GOP in Georgia, it is serverely over-shadowed by the damage that Obama, Pelosi, and Reid continue to do to the Dems on a daily basis. By next November, nobody is going to care about Richardson’s sex, lies, and videotapes. Virginia state house just went from 55-45 to 60-40 thanks to the Dems in D.C.

• Icarus says:

That’s just freaking awesome.

It doesn’t matter how much our guys threaten their wives with state power, or use sex with a lobbyist to grant NINE figure favors of taxpayer money.

Just so long as they don’t have a D next to their name, it’s all good, right?

Your post just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

• fundy1611 says:

It’s one guy. And as far as I can tell, he won’t be on the ballot next November. Why would I take my discuss with Richardson out on other good conservative candidates? Mountain out of a mole hill. Just because you all have been eating, sleeping, and drinkning Glen Richardson’s demise, doesn’t mean the majority of the rest of the state gives a darn.

• Icarus says:

Mark Foley was just one guy. Jack Abramoff was just one guy. Larry Craig was just one guy. There were a lot of “just one guys” in 2005/2006.

We’ll be spending a lot of time on “just one guy” here over the next few months. And funny thing is, this “one guy” has a lot of other names than Richardson.

• fundy1611 says:

And the majority of the electorate couldn’t tell you who Foley, Craig, and Abramoff are. You’re proving me point. As much as you and rest of the self-loathing conservatives love to watch the GOP fail, the Richardson event will be a distant memory as the state wrestles with budget deficits and high unemployment.

• Holly says:

They might not be able to name the individuals, but they know there were a lot of Republicans who did bad things – even if they can’t remember what those bad things were. It became a culture of mistrust and disgust. And the Democrats weren’t Republicans, so voters went with them.

So one guy here and one guy there can start adding up to a lot of trouble for the Georgia Republican Party. It did nationally.

Regardless of what Obama and Pelosi and Reid do next year, there’s going to be quite a few stories about some ethical issues with most of the GOP field for governor. I realize the average voter can’t talk intelligently about the differences in state and federal government roles, but we’re just very lucky at this point that the Republican base is more energized than the Democratic base for the midterm elections. What if all these articles start making our base not so excited about voting in 2010? What if they just sit it out?

Georgia is turning more and more purple as Atlanta grows. Then look at what happened in Colorado, where Republicans still outnumber Democrats in registration. It could happen here at any moment, and it’s our job to make sure we present a field of candidates who will hold themselves to the highest standard so people will want them in office.

• John Konop says:

fundy1611

Does the below issue not bother anyone? If this issue does not bother you than do not complain about the 5 billion dollar shortfall, 11 trillion dollar federal debt…….It is time we hold office holders on both sides accountable!

AP…..The 49-year-old Richardson, once thought to be a serious contender for governor, had gone right back to shaking hands at chicken-and-grits fundraisers after trying to kill himself. But he had been silent since his ex-wife claimed this week that he slept with a lobbyist pushing a $300 million pipeline bill he was co-sponsoring…….

• Game Fan says:

fundy
      I would have to agree although I’m more worried about what damage they’re doing to the country. f.y.i. I’m a part-time member of the “they’re all the same” club. IMHO this is part of the problem with the Republican party. Like I’ve said numerous times this “trench warfare” is what the power brokers want. They don’t want people getting pissed at crooks and liars, they’d rather Republicans portray “the Democrats” as the devil incarnate and vice-versa. This takes the heat off the scum in both parties. “The Democrats” or “The liberals” is for people who ain’t got no game! Now on the other hand, Ronald Reagan had a positive vision for All Americans.

9. Silent Outrage says:

It was mentioned on the AJC that if Mr. Richardson were any other state employee he would be given minutes to clean out his desk and shown the door.

I sure hope it’s not “Business As Usual” down at the Gold Dome, because if so, that means more corruption, sex scandals, and hypocricy.

10. Rick Day says:

No apology? To those who voted for him under false pretext that he was a “Family Values” candidate?

Claim we are ‘less taxed’ under your ‘leadership’?

Blame the ‘disease’?

Blame the media? For not giving you a ‘free pass’?

leopard/spots