And I’d like to add….

I think one of the reasons we have such crap-tastic representatives in Atlanta and Washington is the fact that sane, moral, upright people who don’t want to screw over large swaths of the American people, do not want to be associated with the likes of Richardson, Cagle, Harbin, Sanford, Burkhalter, Foley, Gingrich, etc.

They don’t want their wives wondering if they are really out late at a committee meeting, or boinking their staffer in their Capitol office. They won’t want their families wondering if that young lobbyist is a professional or professional slut.

Power Corrupts. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. Political Power corrupts your ability to keep your fly zipped.

To hell with resignations. I want to see indictments.

1. ByteMe says:

Your analysis is flawed. Screwing around has always been there. What’s “new” is the moralistic Puritans creating an equivalence between marriage vows and effective politicking. That’s why this is more of a sideshow starring Republicans instead of Democrats.

The most recent example of a Democrat with a fly problem was Clinton and Democrats didn’t care. FDR was unfaithful and Democrats think of him as one of the best Presidents of the last century.

Republicans used “family values” as a wedge to win a voting bloc and it’s now giving them a wedgie.

2. Bucky Plyler says:

Byte,

It is a character issue everytime someone breaks their marriage vows. For you to point out that it is acceptable with D’s & should be with R’s & I’s demonstrates why we have the leadership we’ve been getting for decades. (by the way, you forgot Gary Hart)

Our media is making more hay out of a golfer’s escapdes. Although he’s done the wrong thing, his problems don’t have near the effect an elected official’s actions do.

Character should never be a wedgie.

• rugby says:

“Our media is making more hay out of a golfer’s escapdes. ”

Tiger Woods is also just a slightly larger figure than Glen Richardson.

• ByteMe says:

You’re helping me make one of my points, Bucky.

Republicans seem to have traded the idea of electing good stewards of the government in favor of people who have “character” (which in many cases just translates into “character issues”) and people who hate the government. I don’t care if the person who runs the railroad is faithful to his wife; I want him to be faithful to running his railroad correctly.

But, hey, if you want to focus on the trivial and claim it’s more important than anything else, who am I to get in the way of the ritual party-immolation that happens every time one of the R’s gets caught with his hand in someone else’s cookie jar.

3. Holly says:

Indictments against whom? Richardson seems like the only candidate in your list at this point, and if the evidence is there, I’m sure he will face charges. But remember, cheating on your spouse is not in itself a crime. Therefore, most of those folks on your list are guilty of bad behavior – not criminal activity.

4. Technocrat says:

As the Chinese and Hebrews have known for millenia: Eunuchs make the best Politicans.
    “……….there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:12). The book of Isaiah holds one of the greatest promises. “To the eunuchs that keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, I will give, in my house and within my walls, a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.” (Isaiah 56: 4-5.)

• Doug Deal says:

It is like those serveys where men claim to have had 10 sex partners and women claim to haver had 4. Unless men are having a large number of homosexual relationships and then counting them as sex partners, this is impossible mathematically because the number of men is very close to the number of women except in the elderly.

For example, if 100,000,000 women had sex with 4 men on average, that would be 400,000,000 pairings. If 100,000,000 men had 10 each, that would be 1,000,000,000 pairings. That leaves 600,000,000 unpaired men. So, either men are exagerating or women are being discreet. In either case, someone is lying.

It’s yet another reason to not trust polls as a means on conducting valid scientific data. But is just about the only method used by soft sciences.

5. Ken in Eastman says:

If this stays on purely moral ground, Democrats have an advantage: they only have three commandments:

1 – Thou shalt not appear to be a racist or break bread with anyone who appears to be a racist, unless he is a fellow Democrat.

For Democrats may be racists but cannot be called so by definition.

2 – Thou shalt not admit being a hypocrite nor adopt principles that might allow any to rightfully call ye a hypocrite.

3 – Go forth and throughout the lands describe all who stand to your right as ‘ignorant’, ‘unschooled’, ‘unlettered’ and ‘descendants of Nazis and Facsists’.

Do this and the mass media will make the mountains echo with your falsehoods and the truly ignorant, unschooled, unlettered and the descendants of Nazis and Fascists will believe and cry out unto you for protection.

This post started out as a joke, but I suddenly feel I have discovered a great Truth (sigh).

From below the gnat line,

6. Game Fan says:

Yeah the lobbyist thing is what bothers many. In fact, this “public/private partnership” may be a new type of corporate fascism needing further investigation. 🙂 It does bring to mind the female telecommunications lobbyist associated with McCain, Vicki Iseman. I mean we’re talking about big corporations with billions of dollars. And in addition to the money, they throw sexy women at the politicians, so now the “corporate ties” include sex, money, emotion, and a possible blackmail factor.