1. SpaceyG says:

Let me say how very well and tactfully my fellow GA bloggers and peers handled the “issue” of Glenn Richardson in this podcast. Jason, Joseph, Catherine, James and Rusty, all prolific, longtime, highly experienced GA political bloggers, really set the leadership, tone, and editorial bar high on this very touchy matter for the GA media’sphere to follow. The issue will likely flare-up when the GA Legislature commences again. Anyone issuing public opinion and commentary on this matter should MAKE the time to listen to how these bloggers address this.

• That’s right Spacey, the Emperor’s new clothes are as fine and blemish-less as they were before this incident. How dare anyone state otherwise.

I’m just curious, how people would react to us commoners? Would we get to keep our exact existing job status of operating “heavy machinery” if we had the same illness and committed a similar act?

And before I get blasted again… my beef is not as much with the Speaker as it’s with “the commendable” group think thought police. I too think the bloggers did well in their analysis, but I don’t believe that those that think differently should “sit down and shut up” and that the blogger’s views are the only “acceptable” reaction.

Just like what I just got through writing on another thread… no one wants to hold any of our elected leadership accountable for their actions anymore… regardless of the reason for those actions; well meaning but incompetent, on purpose but failed miserably or due to illness.

I would really rather not talk more on this matter in public or on a public forum… but as long as people keep telling me and others what we’re suppose to think and what is an “acceptable” reaction/speech on this matter, I guess I’ll have to continue to chime in.

• Jason Pye says:

Holy crap, Daniel, you’ve been on this since it happened. Just curious, do you think that you, as a state party leader, making an issue out of this helps advance what you believe?

Hold him accountable, but just because we disagree with the guy doesn’t mean we should be unmerciful when his well-being is in question.

I’m not saying shut up or telling you what to think, I am telling you that dragging someone’s personal around as a talking point doesn’t help you when you are trying to push lobby for or against something in the General Assembly.

Have some class.

• GOPGeorgia says:

DNA has lost any respect I may have had for him. According to him, his morals demand that he attack the GOP for not impeaching the speaker the day that he announced his problems.

I waited a long time to comment on this so I could cool down. There is a time for change and a time for compassion. DNA just doesn’t know what time it is.

• I love it when others help me prove my point:
        Jason stands up to his political party’s leadership and GOPGA and the like continue to be back flipping blind apologist for theirs.

No Jason, at least not in the short term… But then again, I didn’t test the political winds before deciding the right thing to do or say… and saying or doing the right thing regardless of personal or political gain to protect/defend unpopular speech… well, I can always be counted on for that.

As for the issue itself…
        GOP GA,
        I have never called for the Speaker to be impeached. I said he should step down from his speakership until he is better. Just as Jason called me out here… I would like to think that if I announced that I was extremely ill and tried to harm myself, like the speaker announced… Jason and other members of the Executive Committee would probably call a meeting and relieve me from my Chairmanship… not necessarily for the party but for my own well being. I would also like to think they wouldn’t have to… I would have concluded my informing them of my illness with stepping down on my own accord.

And just so you know… I really don’t care if you like me or not… and as for “respect”, you don’t know me well enough or have even been aware of me long enough for me to have even earned it to begin with…. That, I will continue to work on.

• Jason Pye says:

We may, but that is a decision that we should be able to make on our own without outside influence, especially given the seriousness of a situation.

• I also agree that my remarks lacked “class.” However, playing the sympathy card, then spouting accolades about the Speaker while telling anyone that thinks differently to keep it to themselves is just as classless. I knew I would take a personal hit for being one of the few that was not willing to comply.

Historically speaking, the sympathy card is just another tool in the bag of tyrannical types that want to squelch speech of any opposition…. people should be aware of this.

Remember also, that it was the decisions and behavior of the Speaker himself that lead to his current state… and that is what I was referring to as for personal accountability.

If he were just the Speaker for the GOP, I would agree. But he is the Speaker of the House for all Georgians… and therefore, all have a say in this as well.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Quote by DNA on Nov 14, day after the Speaker’s statement.

“Even the US Constitution has a provision for the President to be removed from office or to temporarily step aside if his mental capacity is diminished. The remaining GOP leadership in the house , as well as the Speaker himself, should consider a similar action.”

That looks like a call for removal and blame for not doing it on the day after. If it’s just a call to outline a succession plan, it is very poor timing. At the very least, it a call for the Speaker to step down by DNA’s own admission.

I was not a fan of Ted Kennedy, but I was respectful at his passing. When tragedy strikes, if it be death, mental illness, or a physical handicap, one should give a little while for that person, their family and their friends to adjust. There are times for compassion in politics and times to attack. As I said before, DNA doesn’t know what time it is.

• GOPGeorgia says:

As far as my being “a back flipping blind apologist,” I don’t think I was apologizing for anything or have anything to apologize for in this situation. I think I see the situation fairly clearly. When are you going to step down as Chairman of your party for being an utter failure? When will you apologize for not qualifying candidates? When will you do a back flip and get more than 5% with any candidate in a three person race running as a Libertarian with an L behind their name?

• Game Fan says:

I personally don’t know a thing about the speaker but, as an “average Joe” I don’t recall anything that Daniel has said that I’ve disagreed with. IMHO Libertarianism and “outrage” against the status quo and free speech would go hand-in-hand. Also, Libertarianism would be by it’s nature a departure from the “leader” concept and therefore, as many “Libertarian leaning” folks would understand, Daniel’s opinions are Daniel’s opinions. So in this respect, I think Daniel is a great “Leader” of the GA Libertarian Party. A leader by example. If someone disagrees with Daniel, then bring it. Using logic and common sense and free speech.

• IMHO Libertarianism and “outrage” against the status quo and free speech would go hand-in-hand. Also, Libertarianism would be by it’s nature a departure from the “leader”

GF, it sounds like you are defining “Anarchy” and not “Libertarianism”.

• GOPGeorgia says:

Jason,

Are you saying the Chairman of your party doesn’t speak for your party? I would think the majority of Republicans don’t like having to be taxed to pay for a run off election that your party caused. If you had a chance of winning, I doubt that many, including myself, would complain.

So says the back flipping blind apologist.

If I don’t know the first thing about your situation, how would I know the excuse, I mean the words “ballot access?”

• I don’t see any party “leaders” to be actual leaders of the Republican Party, more of operatives or foot soldiers; they are indeed needed. Politicians come and go, what is always important is the grassroots themselves. The grassroots is there to make sure their elected officials represent their views. It is the grassroots job to hold their elected officials accountable for their votes. That is, at least, how the process should work.

• Game Fan says:

Well I think a Party leader would be the leader of the Party. And the “boss” of whoever was working for the party. And the politician would be the “boss” of his hired staff. The talk-show host could “lead” a movement, ect… where people come and go as they please if they agree or disagree. But I think we agree about the grassroots, which, overall wouldn’t have an actual “boss” per se as it pertains to politics. 🙂 But, sadly I think too many Americans look at the “leader” as the current head honcho whoever that may be, or whoever “inspires” them on TV. 🙁

• Game Fan says:

For example, ever since TV the prez gets on there as often as possible to try to influence Americans directly, and completely bypass Congress. 🙁