The Hidden Tragedy Of The Atlanta Floods: Waffle Shortage

Skipping past the property damage, long-term road closures, and overall life routine disruptions, we have apparently missed the biggest crisis of the recent Atlanta floods until now: Frozen Waffle Shortage

Kellogg Company said that due to “a confluence of events” — including flooding at its Bucknell Drive manufacturing facility — Eggo brand frozen waffles will be in short supply for some time to come.

Grocery store inventories, the company said, are expected to remain limited through the first half of 2010.

The Atlanta plant, south of I-20 and west of I-285 near Thornton Road, opened in 1969 when it was owned by Fearn International. Kellogg temporarily halted production in September due to flooding driven by heavy rains, the company said.

And what does this have to do with Georgia Politics? Don Balfour would like to take this opportunity to remind you that Waffle House is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And his waffles can be ordered with pecans, chocolate chips, blueberries, or strawberries for just a few cents extra.

1. Fawkes says:

Does this mean there will be a black market for Eggo Waffles? This gives the slogan “Leggo my Eggo” a whole new meaning.

2. B Balz says:

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates. It’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

• BSMcElhaney says:

Maybe if he could have predicted he was going to lose the race for Agriculture commish he would have run for SoS then.

3. drjay says:

this is why if you want waffles, you make sure your female has a waffle iron and you tell her to make you some waffes when the mood hits you..

4. AubieTurtle says:

Frozen waffles are silly, just not as silly as frozen pancakes which are no where near as silly as frozen TOAST! Seriously… how is it any easier to use frozen toast than to just use a piece of bread to make the real thing?

• HowardRoark says:

I believe there are two Americas. One for the privileged and elite, with English muffins, raisin toast and and abundance of delicious breakfast treats. And yet another for hardworking Americans who work from paycheck to paycheck, who don’t know where their next waffle is going to come from.

5. BuckheadConservative says:

In the interest of equal time you should give a shout out to the other hot waffle iron in town, Gladys Knight’s Chicken and Waffles. There you can order the Midnight Train, 4 tasty fried chicken wings and a big delicious waffle, 7 days a week, 11AM to close.

6. Nathan says:

This could be a great opportunity for the pancake industry. Stocks in IHOP could go through the roof now that waffles are in peril in the great state of Georgia.

7. Jeremy Jones says:

“What does this have to do with GA politics.”

It will limit my campaigning, I am a creature of habit, not having my waffles in the morning could cause a problem. Of course, it could be benefit me. I just checked my freezer, I have 9 boxes of them (I assume they were recently on sale and my wife stocked up), I could put them on eBay to raise some much needed campaign funds!

• tinsandwich says:

Yep. My wife got the same sale at Kroger and I stocked up too. I would make a contribution in kind to your waffling fund raiser but it would conflict with my support of the Cheese Grits lobby!

8. Part-Time Atlanta says:

This is probably just a ploy by Waffle House to monopolize the market. Kellogg should start an investigation.