Reed leads in new poll.

11Alive and V103 commissioned a poll in the Atlanta Mayor’s race runoff. SurveyUSA is back with the results.

If the runoff for Atlanta Mayor were today, would you vote for … (choices rotated) Mary Norwood? Or Kasim Reed?
Reed: 49%
Norwood: 46%
Undecided: 5%

Did you vote in the general election for Atlanta Mayor on November 3rd?
No: 22%
Not Sure: 1%

Atlanta City Council President Lisa Borders has endorsed Kasim Reed for mayor. Does the Borders endorsement make you more likely to vote for Kasim Reed? Less likely? Or does it not make a difference to you one way or the other?

More Likely: 21%
Less Likely: 22%
No Difference: 57%
Not Sure: 1%

Survey was of 499 likely voters with a margin of error of 4.5%

1. Technocrat says:

Gee, If they has asked 900 likely voters we would have less ambiguity.
    So 51.5 vs 48.5 with a few hundred confused write ins for Obama.

• nast says:

Actually, that 1% voted for Not Sure, the Smartest Man in America.

Here’s the endorsement from President Camacho:
      “Now I understand everyone’s s***’s real emotional right now, but I’ve got a 3 Point Plan to fix everything. Number 1: We got this guy Not Sure. Number 2: He’s got a higher IQ than any man alive. Number 3: He’s going to fix EVERYTHING!”

Get’s my vote.

• Tricia says:

yes, but the greater question is should they be able to vote? Especially if they can’t even remember if they voted in the first place…

• macho says:

I didn’t realize that, but I’m not sure I would want my poll weighted, by 25%, of people who didn’t bother to vote in the first place. Since runoffs usually have a pretty steep drop-off, where does that leave the folks who didn’t vote in the general.

I wonder if the non-voting / lazy demographic is more likely to say they would vote for Reed or Norwood – or would it be evenly distributed.

• benevolus says:

That’s hard to believe. Norwood’s number is the same as it was for the GE, but Reed has gained what, 13%?

Of those that say the endorsement has no effect, they seem to be supporting him anyway, just for some other reason apparently.

• Harry says:

I read that more of the black electorate are alienated and want to vote for Norwood, especially among the have-nots. Those organizing a Reed turnout on election day need to count on some attrition, meaning they need to turn out maybe 125 black voters to get 100 net Reed votes. I also think King Rat made a major strategic blunder in endorsing Reed. In doing so he turns off reform-minded Democrats in Midtown and Va-Hi, he also turns off certain Democrats in South Georgia, and he gains nothing in the primary against Thurbert Baker. Seems to me.

• benevolus says:

Only a blunder if Reed turns out to suck as mayor. There is a slight chance that he will actually be OK and win some people over.

We shall see what The King gains. That story is probably not over yet.