On the election for Mayor of Atlanta…

Just read another tedious exploration of the election and race relations and noted this:

Since Jackson’s first mayoral victory in 1973, the first time a black candidate won the job, most African-American residents have looked at the city’s black leadership as a vital cog that has opened the doors to higher-paying jobs and fostered a better quality of life.

[snip]

Atlanta’s poverty rate is about 25 percent, higher than big cities such as Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and New York.

Setting aside for a moment that if the story featured whites doing something similar they would be branded as racists, if blacks in Atlanta are only voting for blacks on purpose (a big if, mind you) and the result after 30 years is sky high taxes, high crime, bloated bureaucracy and a crumbling infrastructure, then their votes have been an epic fail.

People like Maynard Jackson’s first wife’s (Bunnie Jackson-Ransom) are the problem. You’ll recall she is the individual who stated an intent to work for Reed to “wake up those African-Americans who have become bamboozled into believing a moderately-educated, southern white woman will do something for them.” Despicable. And it leaves me wondering when Atlanta will be a city where people are judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Yes, I’m sure I’ve read that line somewhere before.

1. MaxieGrrrl says:

As an Emory grad, I take exception with the “moderately educated” tag. Maynard Jackson went to Morehouse. Kasim Reed went to Howard. Both fine institutions, but neither ranked as highly as Emory at any point in history. I’m more than a little sick of the white-black meme in this race. If Norwood is nothing at all, she’s honest and I will take that any day of the week.

2. gt7348b says:

If Mary is honest, then why did she claim that she can’t make a decision on the sewer or police? Even with all the different budgets, you should at least have a feel for the Order of Magnitude size of the sewer project to make a decision. And after 8 years, shouldn’t you have at least found one person within City Government who’s willing to feed you information? I’m just asking.

But maybe I’m biased because I sat in a meeting with her in september 08 where she wanted to build an underground Light Rail line from Cumberland to Cobb “Using the sewer tunnel machines we used and it would only cost $40 million a mile.” I mean, I would think that any person running for a city government would know that tunnels for water and tunnels for people require different things (like lights, ventilation, etc).

Finally, have you looked at Mary’s primary co-sponsors for legislation (they pass out a big thick book at every council meeting). They are the upstanding and always upfront C.T. Martin and H. Lamar Willis.

3. Donna Locke says:

Atlanta is alarmingly incompetent and lackadaisical in regard to city maintenance and its falling-apart infrastructure. One night in August my daughter was walking on an Atlanta street and fell into an uncovered manhole. She was 7 months pregnant at the time. My daughter has a business in Atlanta and has thrown in the towel on getting the city to address licenses, sewer, street, water, you name it, concerns. She is getting out of the business and is looking to get out of the city altogether. I can’t wait!!!

Many years ago, the AJC published a letter of mine in which I wrote, “I have seen the future of Atlanta and it is Detroit.” I don’t know what shape Detroit is in now, except that one of my cousins up there wrote me recently and asked me to send her info on Tennessee real estate.

4. Dawgfan says:

Is Mary Norwood an ideal candidate? No, but she will be a better Mayor than Reed. If elected Reed will be from the same political machine that brought us Maynard II and Shirley. The same political machine that looks at Atlanta government as a jobs program. The same political machine that looks at Buckhead as a piggy bank. The same political machine that refuses to address the fundamental problems facing Atlanta. I’m not convinced that Norwood will make a big difference, but I am convinced she will be better that Reed.

5. benevolus says:

Why is it the recurring criticisms of Reed don’t have anything to do with his record, his ability, or his campaign?

6. Ken Stepp says:

I believe that for once Atlanta has two great people running. So they will wind up with a good mayor. Mr Reed has national experience which I believe would put Atlanta on a national stage. He’s already had some big guns endorse him. My hope is that he would have a better chance of bringing jobs to Atlanta. That would help the whole state. Of course that’s just my opinion.