Lisa Borders: I’m with Reed!

Atlanta City Council President Lisa Borders endorsed Kasim Reed for Atlanta mayor Wednesday, saying he was the best candidate to improve the city’s finances. The runoff between Reed and Mary Norwoord is set for December 1.

Earlier this week Jim Martin also endorsed Reed. Snore.

1. Progressive Dem says:

That would be the same Jim Martin who forced a run-off with Senator Foghorn Leghorn. The same Jim Martin who beat Vernon Jones in his backyard and handily carried Fulton County. The same Jim Martin whose legislative district was within the City Council 6th district, where there is another runnoff. I’d say his endorsement might mean something in this race.

As for Borders, that’s a big plus for Reed. He has the momentum.

• macho says:

Are people really so brain-dead that they can’t make a decision for Mayor without an endorsement? I think endorsements help in the initial phase of a campaign, as it might help give your candidacy some credibility, but in a runoff situation, for an office as high-profile as Mayor, I’ve got to believe endorsements are relatively meaningless.

• Icarus says:

Yes. And I, as a cartoon character who doesn’t live in the City, will have mine ready soon. I hope the brain dead are paying attention whenever I get around to it.

• drjay says:

of course if the endorser had just run for the same office and finished 3rd w/ 14% of the vote–a total that would equal 50% when added to the total of the candidate they endorse–well that might actually be signifigant in a runoff…

• GOPGeorgia says:

“of course if the endorser had just run for the same office and finished 3rd w/ 14% of the vote–a total that would equal 50% when added to the total of the candidate they endorse–well that might actually be signifigant in a runoff”

….if everyone who voted the first time shows back up agin. It’s all about the turnout now.

2. Part-Time Atlanta says:

I’m shocked that Borders endorsed Reed. I don’t think anyone could say they saw that coming.

• Sleepy Tom says:

75%, actually.

It would only be a 50-50 chance if both run-off candidates were of the same race. The 75% breaks down like this:

100% chance Borders would endorse Reed because both she and he are black.

50% chance she would endorse Norwood because Borders is not racist.

(100+50)/2 = 75% chance Borders would endorse Reed.

• BuckheadConservative says:

Not shocked, but definitely disappointed. While I disagreed with her on plenty, I always respected Borders and thought her to be somewhat level headed. This just seems to fall under the category “typical”, which I was hoping against hope to avoid in this race.

3. HollyJ says:

The same Jim Martin that Georgia voters have rejected twice. If Kasim wants to win he will ask Martin not to send over any of his campaign folks. Oh wait that’s right. They both have/had DPG rootin’ for ’em.

• Progressive Dem says:

Fortunately for the City of Atlanta, the vast majority of Georgia voters don’t get a say in this election.

• Progressive Dem says:

After losing 80,000 residents between 1970 and 2000, the City of Atlanta added 64,000 people during the past 8 years. People vote with their feet and there are more people are choosing to live here than ever before.

One of the bigest enterprises in the state is Harstfield Jackson. It runs very well.

• tocallaghan says:

Do you live in this city? It took me 4 1/2 minutes for 9-11 to answer my call. Our sewer system is terrible. Buckhead wants to break off because the taxes are too high. Crime is on the rise. Our city government has no accountability. Overall things are degrading.

• macho says:

The last thing Roy needs to do is get mired down in Atlanta politics, talk about a general election noose around your neck. He has the luxury of assuming he’s going to win the Dem Primary, so he’s out there pretending he’s not part of any party, “let’s all get along”, “I’m the color purple”, “let’s not be divisive”, “I’m not conservative or liberal”, etc…

4. fishtail says:

MACHO…good points..other side of the coin is that Kasim wins and owes Roy next year and either endorses Barnes against a black candidate or stays out of the race and does not endorse Thurbert. I was just posing the possibility.