Georgia-Florida Eternal Optimist Open Thread

Kickoff is 3:30. Hope for a huge Georgia upset should last until about 3:43. I’ll be there, because, as you know, I’m a huge optimist.

I was able to attend the Glynn County Low Country Boil last night. Those folks know how to run an efficient event. Started at 5:00, was over by 7:00. In-Out-Done. More on that later.

Open Thread, and GO DAWGS!

1. Silent Outrage says:

Any word on the straw poll results?

I heard that Eric Johnson brought out his big guns – the Kingstons. That should have easily put him over the top to win. If Eric can’t win a straw poll on the coast with Jack Kingston’s help, then that says a lot about his campaign and it’s viability.

2. ByteMe says:

Bucky? Bucky, you out here??

Remember all those taunts you made to me about “Gators stink”??

I learned a rule growing up with older siblings: Never talk trash until after the game is played.

Bwahahahahahah! Little puppies, the Gators just ate you for dinner.

• ByteMe says:

BTW, for the rest of you who didn’t talk smack before the game: I feel for you. I was a Gator during the Herschel years, so I know what it feels like to watch your team do everything wrong. It’ll get better, but I think a new coaching staff will come first.

• Clone Of B. Plyler says:

Byte,

Gators really stink now. If you’re on Facebook, check out my latest post. At least, we don’t have to see Tebow any more!

• ByteMe says:

I don’t Facebook. And I stay anonymous out here, because my name generates hundreds of hits on Google through my work. I want to keep my crazy opinions separate from my work hits.

• ByteMe says:

So you’re doubling down on stupid now? You know that Brantley, our QB in waiting, broke the Florida high school passing yardage record held by (wait for it!) Tim Tebow, right?

And Logan Gray? Not so good.

3. John Konop says:

This was very interesting from conservative Bruce Bartlett!

100% of Obama’s deficits due to lower revenues, not spending increases

Bruce Bartlett: …Now let’s fast forward to the end of fiscal year 2009, which ended on September 30. According to CBO, it ended with spending at $3,515 billion and revenues of $2,106 billion for a deficit of $1,409 billion. To recap, the deficit came in $223 billion higher than projected, but spending was $28 billion and revenues were $251 billion less than expected.

Thus we can conclude that more than 100 percent of the increase in the deficit since January is accounted for by lower revenues. Not one penny is due to higher spending…

I continue to believe that the Republican position is nonsensical. Final proof is that the previously cited CBO report shows total federal revenues coming in at 14.9 percent of the gross domestic product in FY2009.

According to the Office of Management and Budget, one has to go back to 1950 to find a year when federal revenues were lower as a share of GDP. For reference, revenues averaged 18 percent of GDP during the Reagan administration and were never lower than 17.3 percent – 2.4 percent of GDP above where they are now.

I think there are grounds on which to criticize the Obama administration’s anti-recession actions. But spending too much is not one of them. Indeed, based on this analysis, it is pretty obvious that spending – real spending on things like public works – has been grossly inadequate. The idea that Reagan-style tax cuts would have done anything is just nuts.

• ByteMe says:

The proof is in the pudding: the last Bush budget he submitted had surpluses starting in 2012… provided the Bush tax cuts were allowed to expire. Without that — and he was pushing to keep the tax cuts in place — red ink as far as the eye could see.

“Trickle down” theory — that claims that somehow government revenues will increase by cutting taxes — has no credibility. And the GOP has demonstrated they can’t be trusted to cut spending either, so I think we need to go back to making sure the government is funded so that we’re not in perpetual deficit.

• GOPGeorgia says:

“I think we need to go back to making sure the government is funded so that we’re not in perpetual deficit.” In other words, don’t worry about cutting spending, just keep raising taxes to match what congress wants to spend?

• ByteMe says:

Let’s face it: 90% of the budget is either defense, entitlement programs or interest on the debt. Everything else is just arguing about the margins and not worth the stress. Republicans aren’t willing to finish a fight over entitlements OR defense. Neither are Democrats. So it’s just noise trying to claim you’re for cutting spending when neither party is willing to pick cutting entitlements or defense as the hill to die on.

• John Konop says:

GOPGeorgia

You comments bleeds with hypocrisy and supporting irresponsible behavior. Any rational person knows a tax cut without proper spending cuts is worse than any choice. At the end of the day both sides pander the public with bills like the Bush Medicare Prescription, GOP Senior Bill of Rights, Dems and GOP healthcare proposals…..

Why not have real standards? Why not show loyalty to America over a party?

• GOPGeorgia says:

JK,

You still don’t listen. I didn’t mention tax cuts in this post. I asked to Byte to clarify his position “don’t worry about cutting spending, just keep raising taxes to match what congress wants to spend?” I am for cutting spending. What part of that don’t you understand?

Do you expect me to quit the party just because some people with an R beside their name in DC don’t vote the way I want them too?

• John Konop says:

GOPGeorgia

What I want to hear is that you are not for cutting taxes without proper spending cuts. This was the PAYGO concept for us old time fiscal conservatives in good old days!

• GOPGeorgia says:

JK,

We may not agree on this. Some taxes are unfair in their very nature and need to be removed for that reason. We need income for the government to operate. I am not in a legislative position, but if I were, I would not be in favor of taxing the citizens of GA anymore than what is needed to run the state of Georgia. I am all about cutting spending where it doesn’t need to be spent.

However, there have been several times when taxes were cut, it stimulated the economy so much that even more revenue was produced. I am a supply-sider. Cutting taxes and hoping that more income comes in is a risky business. I will understand if you fail to agree with me. I don’t expect you to. I am a fan of the Laffer curve. I am not in a position to assume I know where we currently are on that curve. You can cut taxes and increase revenue, depending on where you are on the curve. I am afraid that the US is about to find out that you can raise taxes so high that revenue to the government will decrease.

• John Konop says:

GOPGeorgia

Do you not get Bush got us into this mess by cutting taxes without the proper spending cuts? If the Bush math worked why did he more than double the national debt?

As I said the real truth is people want the service from the government without the real cost. And both sides avoid the tough love cuts!

• GOPGeorgia says:

I agree that Bush and CONGRESS spent too much money. Our new President and CONGRESS have now kicked that spending into overdrive. I don’t think it was the Bush tax cuts that “got us into this mess,” so I guess I don’t get it. In other words, I think I am right and we will have to agree to disagree on that one. Spending money on wars will throw a budget out of wack as well. IMO, the problem is it’s not just the taxing, it’s the spending. Even if you raise tax rates up to 60%, (this) congress will find a way to spend 70%. As far as “this mess” goes, I think it was more along the lines of Fannie and Freddie giving out 100% loans to those that didn’t qualify, coupled with reselling the loans again as a security that were rated safer than what they should have been. I think that’s what started “this mess” anyway.

4. John Konop says:

ByteMe

In fairness that is why I am very skeptical about the Dems plan for healthcare. The real cost savings conversation has been swept away by both sides promising service and care we do not have the money for. As I said the real problem is people want things they cannot afford. And they will vote for people who tell them you can get something for nothing on both sides! This is an economic race to the bottom with our kids being the victims!

5. gatormathis says:

…..i was watching the eye gouge tactics used yesterdy when my wife walked by, and asked what is that and i told her…..my mistake as she works for an eye care doc……..you talk about ticked off….

…after a diatribe about how the fingernails could have scarred the cornea, fingers coulda poked the eye out, and a few other things that coulda happened….i shudder to think how callous, dangerous, and most of all how distasteful it is to watch someone go that far “past the game” of football to simply win a game at all costs, with so much disregard for one’s opponent’s well being. a late hit dosen’t even compare to rendering another player to blindness and this probably after the whistle is being blown to end the ‘down’.

…and to her credit she even offered suggestions of punishment in the ways of fines right on up to, after the third view, take a hammer, lay that guy’s fingers up on a board and bust them all up!!

….after seeing the end result of paintball, bb’s, and a host of other problems harming one’s eyes, i will have to remember not to watch anymore stuff like this when she is around…..she gets worked up over such stupid stuff as that idiot trying to damage another’s eyes.

…and i think rightly so….

6. John Konop says:

NY GOP Scozzafava Endorses Democrat Bill Owens

GOP civil war!

CBS-A day after Republican state Assemblywoman Dierdre Scozzafava abruptly suspended her campaign in the New York special election, she’s endorsing the Democrat in the race — not the Conservative Party candidate favored by fellow Republicans.

Scozzafava said Sunday that Democrat Bill Owens is the best of the remaining candidates to build on the legacy of the previous holder of the 23rd Congressional District seat. Republican John McHugh has taken a position in the Obama administration.

A recent Siena College poll showed Scozzafava finishing a distant third behind Owens and conservative Doug Hoffman

• Doug Deal says:

Obviously, they cannot be that stupid to think there would be any other outcome.

The saddest part in all of this is that Hoffman is an idiot that doesn’t belong in Congress, but hey as long as you get the abortion heretic, who cares.

For the sake of the GOP, I hope Owens wins because empowering people like Palin or to a much more miniscule degree, Erick, with choosing out nominees in less GOP friendly parts of the country will be the death of any chance of being relevant again.

This would at least discredit a lot of the people rowing in the wrong direction.

7. Romegaguy says:

Has nobody heard about the Robocalls being done about Mary Norwood and how she isnt supported by the GOP? Why hasnt anyone posted about this?