Reed surges past Borders in new poll.

SurveyUSA has a new poll on the Atlanta Mayor’s race which shows Sen. Kasim Reed in second place and in position to make a runoff with Mary Norwood. Click here for the complete results.

Norwood: 46%
Reed: 26%
Borders: 17%
Spikes: 2%
Undecided: 5%

• AubieTurtle says:

Too bad it isn’t broken into race and age combined categories. I’ve noticed that there is a really big gap in the importance of race by those under 30. It isn’t even a “well, I can vote/date/whatever someone of another race, how progressive of me” type of thing… they just really for the most part don’t think about it in that way. Of course there are plenty of exceptions but race in Generation Y really seems to have become something along the lines of hair color or clothing brand rather than a defining characteristic.

1. B Balz says:

It’s not stunning at all, Grift. Look at how poorly Vernon did in S. DeKalb. I think we will see Kasim and Mary duke it out this time around. My pick would be an outsider – Mr. Reed

2. griftdrift says:

Yeah. But these folks aren’t Vernon. Reed and Borders are much stronger candidates. I checked with my “West End Thermometer” yesterday and he’s still voting for Mary.

3. A lot of times in elections like these people who are undecided or answering “other” this late in the game really just aren’t going to vote. If you take them out of this poll and recalculate (just select the raw counts on the SUSA site instead of the percentages) Norwood is at 49.5%.

Could be a long election night reminiscent of 2001.

4. Joshua Morris says:

If Norwood doesn’t win it in the first vote, I predict she loses the runoff, as happens in many runoff elections. I get the feeling that few of the other candidates’ supporters would turn to her against Reed or Borders.

5. Progressive Dem says:

Borders has a fair amount of white support. That vote could move to Norwood in a runoff. In addition, whites traditionaly have a better record for turnout in a runoff. Norwood’s campaign is organized around a runoff. It is too early to write off Norwood.

6. AubieTurtle says:

I mentioned this is the open thread but it was way down near the bottom…

In the last debate Norwood claimed that she can’t remember who she voted for president. This means one of two things: 1) She made a really stupid lie and arrogantly expects the voters to be too stupid to notice or 2) She has some sort of medical condition that should disqualify her from office.

She could have said her choice of president has no bearing on her qualifications to be mayor or she could have said that she believes that American right to a secret ballot is important so she will not tell who she voted for. But her first reaction instead was to lie to everyone and claim she can’t remember. Seriously, who can’t remember who they voted for in the last couple of presidential elections?

• Game Fan says:

If she goes by the Tip O’neal idea of “All politics is local” then perhaps it’s possible to forget who you voted for for President. Sort of an afterthought, so to speak. A needless distraction to an otherwise sunny day.

• AubieTurtle says:

My guess (and of course it is just a guess) is that if she voted for the Democrat that she wouldn’t have a problem remembering when running for office in a city that votes heavily Democratic. On the other hand, she might be trying to not offend anyone so by saying she doesn’t remember, partisans of any stripe can fill in the blank with whatever they want to be true. While I’m sure there are many Norwood supporters who have very good reasons for wanting to vote for her, most of the people I know who are voting for her have taken a “lalalala I can’t hear you” approach to anything about her that isn’t good. To paraphrase the X-Files, “They want to believe”. But perhaps that says more about who I associate with than it does about her supporters. 🙂

• AubieTurtle says:

Wowzers! Maybe she does really not remember who she voted for… or what she had for breakfast… or her own name.

The child prostitution line was a bit of a cheap shot though. Anyone who speaks in the public enough is going to have moments like that. The drawing a blank answers seem to happen way too often though.

• GOPGeorgia says:

It looked like there was more when she was talking about being involved in child prostitution. The next word or words could have been awareness, prevention, help line, or something along those lines. I don’t know what she said but it’s obvious that the video was cut off.