If You Have Ever Told A Yankee That “Delta Is Ready When You Are”, Please Remember Those Planes Make Round Trips

We’ve all had that friend, neighbor, or co-worker. They moved to Georgia because jobs were here and weren’t at home. They like the weather, and the cost of living is good. And people are even friendly here. Yet they can’t resist constantly telling you how much better they did things in Michigan.

For some reason, this was all I could think about when I read this morning’s column from Jim Galloway. Apparently, One of our front page posters who also spends some spare time on RedState and Cobb County’s own former Speaker of The House are having a bit of a tiff (along with the Club For Growth) over who the voters of New York’s 23rd Congressional District should give the Republican nomination.

I’ll save the merits of each’s argument for another day. It is, after all, the great Civil War within the Republican party that will be with us through at least 2012. I choose instead to focus on why two guys from Georgia are telling the voters of New York how much better we select our Congress Critters in the South. And to do so, I’d like to discuss a speech I heard at the Northwest Georgia Young Republicans a couple of weekends ago.

Tom Dooley doesn’t look like most congressional candidates. His head is covered in a bandana, and most of his clothes are denim or leather. He began by saying that he had some ideas, and some were off the wall. He did not disappoint.

He proposed that we finish building a wall along the Mexican border. He then proposed we clear 100 yards on the US side of the wall, and build a second wall. He proposed routine patrols (with specific numbers of agents, how far they would travel in shifts, etc) to catch those who still tried to cross. He then reminded us that some of his proposals are “out there”, and jumped right in to planting mines within the area loaded with dye similar to packs used to thwart bank robberies. He emphasized he did not want to harm anyone, he just wanted some way to be able to identify people who were able to still get through the elaborate system designed to protect the sovereignty of our country.

It would have been easy to laugh at this point, but not appropriate. Tom served our country in Vietnam, and is willing to admit his idea is a bit kooky. Off the wall? Sure. But also sincere. His service alone earned him the right for me to hear him out. Besides, it was just getting interesting.

His second idea was familiar, as he proposed to put all bills online 72 hours before they were voted on, and be written at a roughly junior high school level. I’m pretty sure our current President promised to do this, but he doesn’t seem to remember that now.

The third idea was simple, yet poignant. Only citizens of a congressional district should be allowed to contribute to congressional campaigns. Period. No corporations. No unions. No PACs. Just individuals who live within the boundaries of a Congressional District.

He reasoned that contributions affect voting patterns, and when people represent contributors, they may not be representing the citizens. And if members of Congress had to rely on their own voters for their campaign funds, they would spend a lot more time with them and a lot less with the special interests of Washington.

I think the idea has about as much chance of passing as I do of winning a Pulitzer. But deep inside my cold cynical self, there’s still part of me that wishes Jimmy Stewart were still around so that Mr. Smith could go fix Washington. Mr. Smith would sponsor this legislation.

I spoke with Tom afterwards, and he admitted he probably can’t win. What he wants is for his ideas to get out there, debated, and if they have merit, adopted by those who may win. I’d score #1 as a non-starter, and #2 as less than original. But his final idea has merit, and if adopted by some of the right folks, it could have legs.

But for this election cycle, the good folks in NY-23 will have to deal with the outside agitators – well meaning folks, but agitators nonetheless. After watching the wrestling match between Erick and Newt, one wonders if they may be the first to adopt Tom Cooley’s idea. Or perhaps, to be the first Northerners who feel compelled to tell some Southerners “Delta is Ready When You Are”.

1. Fawkes says:

I do find it quite annoying when someone claims their state and/or country of origin is better than another and then commence to trying to change other states/countries.

I believe that Georgia, along with some of her Republicans, needs to get her affairs in order before pointing the finger at other states.

2. Doug Deal says:

He thinks very much about himself, but people like Erick will be the death of any hopes of a recovery of the Republican party in 2010, and deservedly so.

Monolithic thought, the only kind that passes muster with Redstate fanboys, is not a good thing. No one view, solely is a majority in this country, and even if it was, those in the minority deserve to win one now and again. At least a liberal or moderate Republican will vote against moon bat Nancy, but “true conservatives” will not be satisfied until the last handful of Northeast Republicans are as extinct as the dodo.

It’s time for the juvenile gamesmanship to end while there is still a country left worth saving.

• John Konop says:

Did you see this!

BACHMANN to accuse former Senator Bob Dole of having a ‘Non-Pro-Freedom Agenda’ is outrageous! It is one thing to disagree with Senator Dole, but this man lost use of his arm defending our country!

Bachmann Says Dole And Frist Represent A ‘Non-Pro-Freedom Agenda’ Because They Want Health Reform

INGRAHAM: Of course. God bless Bob Dole he just came on our show, I have great respect for the man. And also for Frist. But Frist presided over a pretty disastrous situation in the Senate.

BACHMANN: They lost.

INGRAHAM: They lost. And Bob Dole lost how many times on a national level? I guess I’ve lost count. […] That Republican ideology and that Republican outlook has been a losing outlook. That’s why President Obama wants more of us to be like them.

BACHMANN: Because we want a pro-freedom agenda. And he’s trying to throw people around who he believes will increase a non-pro-freedom agenda.

watch

• Doug Deal says:

People want to make every political battle into good versus evil when most are just simply bad versus the bad.

If “true big government conservative” Republicans would push an agenda of limiting the size and scope of the Federal government, then it would not matter who Ny-23 selected to represent them. Instead they want to enact huge sweeping right wing socialism of their own (all to stop gays, good times, and “baby killers”). It is quite telling when people like Duke Cunningham the crook was viewed as such a prime example of true conservatism, but somehow Scozzafava is so much worse because she does not pass the litmus test.

Here is her issue agenda. For someone from NY, it is a lot better than I would expect you can get.

Of course, who am I kidding. It all comes down to the abortion issue, and being 100% “pure”, which also means 100% as extreme as possible beyond anything acceptable to anyone but a small vocal minority.

• Bill Greene says:

If it only came down to the abortion issue, Hoffman wouldn’t be getting the support he’s getting from a lot of pro-life conservatives. Hoffman is a “rape and incest” exceptions guy, meaning he opposes killing babies in the womb unless they were conceived in a bad way. There’s a lot of pro-lifers supporting him, but it’s more because of who he’s running against*, along with his other fiscal conservative stances.

• Doug Deal says:

You have got to be kidding if you believe that. The tiny fringe that want no exceptions abortion laws only do so to keep the issue alive so they can keep raping their supporters for donations, since a no exceptions from conceptions law will never get more than a trickle of support.

• ByteMe says:

Doug, it’ll take a conservative thinker with the heft of a William F. Buckley to slap down the crazy Birchers again. I don’t see one on the horizon, do you?

• Doug Deal says:

I do not think there is much in the way of thinker in either party in the ranks of the politicians or the politicos. Our system weeds them out because only those that scream the loudest nonsense are the ones that get any press.

The only answer the Republicans seem to be coming up with is put us back in charge and we will be exactly like we were when you hated us. I have seen people post “Do you miss W?” posts on Facebook as if HE is what we need.

3. Chris says:

If you exclude the taxes, the cold, the heavy regulation of business, the over zealous state AGs, the traffic, the crowdedness, the high cost of living and the fact that it attracts terrorists like flies to a garbage barge, Georgia should become more like New York.

4. tinsandwich says:

Well, the way things are going we will have enough crime and sex clubs to make all the Yankees feel right at home.

5. Atlanta says:

{Threadjack Removed By Icarus. You want to discuss another topic, take it to the most recent open thread.}

• Icarus says:

(Continuing the semi-off topic tangent…) I thought the flight from Brazil where the pilots landed a full 767 on a taxiway instead of a runway at Hartsfield-Jackson earlier this week was a much bigger deal.

6. Fawkes says:

I swear, many of the posters on Peach Pundit have “Thread ADD”. This post is about 2 GEORGIA Republicans telling NEW YORKERS how to vote in THEIR Congressional race. It uses Delta as nothing more than an analogy, and is NOT about Democrats such as Barnes.

Stay on topic please.

• Icarus says:

There’s always an element of tangents for posts that can take many different directions. While I’m not excited about this turning into an attack on Erick nor Delta’s incident of the day, they’re at least derrivitive of the discussion.

“Atlanta” merely posted a link with no commentary that is not related. Total threadjack. I don’t look kindly upon those.

While I started the post as a discussion on meddling in the politics of others and limiting the influence of money from outsiders, the conversation can take many directions, I’m sure.

Just make sure they’re somehow related to this topic, and that they don’t use the discussion above to take unnecessary cheap shots that don’t relate to these issues.

• Fawkes says:

I merely wanted to emphasize the subject at hand: State sovereignty. As a Georgian, I will gladly listen to the concerns of those in other states, and will listen to advice given by those states. However, I reserve the right to ignore every single word coming from their mouths, as well as the right to tell the to “Shut the h$## up and go home!”

7. GOPGeorgia says:

I don’t view this as a Georgian telling voters in NY who to vote for. I see this as the former Speaker of the House backing people who will try to put the GOP back in the majority. Will it be a perfect GOP with all in lock step in every issue and always right? No chance. That would be boring, but don’t make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Will Dede be the best Republican on the hill? Probably not, but Newt thinks she has the best chance of winning. However, my opinion probably won’t matter to the voters in NY. Newt’s might.