MacGinnitie Proposes Initiative To Increase Military Voting Participation

From a MacGinnitie Press Release:

Republican candidate for Georgia Secretary of State Doug MacGinnitie today launched an effort to increase opportunities for active duty service members and Reservists serving on active duty to participate in Georgia elections.

Research done by the Heritage Foundation in 2008 shows that 75-80% of military voters from across the United States were disenfranchised by their inability to request and return an absentee ballot within time limits as required by law. To make matters worse, for those who did cast an absentee ballot; local officials often reject military absentee ballots at far higher rates than other absentee ballots.

“Our men and women in uniform are putting their lives on the line to defend our freedoms,” said MacGinnitie. “We should do everything possible to ensure they have the opportunity to participate in the most basic of American rights, the right to vote.”

In Georgia all absentee ballots must be returned by 7pm on election day. In runoffs, it is virtually impossible for active duty personnel forward deployed in hazardous duty environments; serving on ships or aboard submarines to request and return a ballot in four weeks.

To address this problem, MacGinnitie has created his Military Voting Advisory Committee, composed of veterans and reservists from across the state. Experts from the legal and technology communities will also serve on the committee to assist in their respective fields. The mission is to develop policy ideas to solve this critical flaw in our voting laws.

“Our current Secretary of State has done an outstanding job focusing on stopping voter fraud, and has implemented reforms to help military voters. As Secretary of State, I will ensure Georgia leads the nation in giving active military voters the opportunity to cast a ballot,” said MacGinnitie.

The members of MacGinnitie’s Military Voting Advisory Committee include:

Brad Carver, Esq., Hall Booth Smith & Slover, P.C.
Brigadier General Walter C. Corish, Jr., GAANG, Ret.
Major General (Ret.) Bruce W. MacLane, USAF
Lieutenant Colonel Oz Hill, USA, Ret.
Jim Lester III, retired CIO AFLAC, former chairman Georgia Technology Authority
Brigadier General Denis Shortal, USMC, (RET)
Craig Thornton, President, Cnetics Technologies

Following up on his initiative for Sandy Springs to gain exemption from Section V of the Voting Rights Act, MacGinnitie hits another issue directly in the line of his potential future job responsibilities while appealing to Republican primary voters.

It’s quite refreshing after seeing press releases from candidates in other races who would rather talk about being for the FairTax and the 2nd amendment than how their ideas and ideals would actually apply to their jobs.

1. JSBarrington says:

This is ridiculous. Brian Kemp released this plan in his comprehensive plan for Secretary of State’s office THREE WEEKS AGO.

Doug Macginnitie’s campaign did nothing but copy Brian Kemp’s plan pretty much word for word– AGAIN.

All Doug MacGinnitie has done in this race is shamefully plagiarize the ideas of Brian Kemp since day 1. He should be embarrassed. But I guess it is a testament to his character and his entrance into a race that he has no business being.

This is such a joke.

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

I’m sure no one before Kemp ever thought about improving the ability for soldiers to vote…and by no one, I mean the Heritage Foundation–for example.

• Justin Tomczak says:

As a friend of both Brian Kemp and Doug MacGinnitie, I’d have to say all this bashing of Doug is not fair to him, nor is it something Brian would be supportive of.

Both men are running good campaigns, raising the money necessary to get their message out, and are working hard to win this race.

I think some folks need to simmer down here with all these charges and accusations.

• No wonder this cat doesn’t use his name. The whining is fantastic. Doug is a stand up guy and has run an effective campaign. The whining only shows he’s beginning to hit his stride.

I recall last spring everyone saying Doug who? He doesn’t have a chance. He has no name ID, can’t do it, go home…. This man is a fighter.

I’m sure Brian is a good man as well, don’t know him. I do know Doug and believe he is more capable for the position he is seeking.

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

Thing is, I read the identical initiative on Kemp’s website, uhhh, at least 3 weeks or so ago.

I would encourage you to go to Kemp’s website and read the rest of his SAFE Elections plan, before Doug issues it under his own letterhead.

• HowardRoark says:

Hey guys, this just hit my inbox. Anyone else get this today? Wait, maybe they sent it 3 weeks ago.

News Release
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      October 21, 2009 Contact: Brian Kemp 800-BE-FIRST

Kemp Announces Patents for Good Ideas

In an effort today to keep other campaigns from using good ideas initiated at conservative think tanks and other third parties, the Brain Kemp for Secretary of Agriculture campaign has filed for patents on the following “good ideas”:

-the wheel
      -sliced bread
      -bottled water
      -the incandescent light bulb
      -the internet
      -internal combustion engine
      -gravity

“It is vitally important that we respect the intellectual property of the inventors of these good ideas by only allowing them to be co-opted by our campaign” said Kemp. “We cannot allow our competitors to adopt ideas that are good, publicly available, and not our own. These patent filings are a step in the right direction”

For more information about Kemp’s initiatives to monopolize good ideas for the Secretary of State’s office (patent pending) please visit
      http://www.kempwasfirst.com, or send an e-mail to [email protected].

3. joe says:

Service members all have a Common Access Card (CAC). The CAC allows for digital signatures that are good enough to create legally binding documents. Just let them register on a secure website and vote with their digital signature. Problem solved.

4. JSBarrington says:

Jacks Post,

It’s as if you are implying that Doug has a history of stealing Kemp’s ideas and plans?

Oh wait, that’s right, he does.

Shows where Doug’s campaign is heading (nowhere). Besides, if MacGinnitie did get elected, who would give him his ideas then? Because he obviously lacks the vision and leadership to come up with them himself.

5. jackson says:

Very refreshing indeed, Icarus. Next McGinnite should launch a website focused on Vote Fraud.

Its actually a great political strategy. Since Kemp is outside of the metro area, I assume the McG plan is to mimic Kemp plans and initiatives as much as possible, creating the perception of parity of candidates all the while focusing on the geographic differences between candidates.

6. Jeff says:

I don’t know about any of this “stealing ideas” stuff -all I know is that the MacGinnitie camp sent me this same press release to my personal email, not the one I gave them for their email list.

Kemp also has both addresses, and I haven’t heard a PEEP from him on either address.

Now, the real point I have here is this:

Last night, MacGinnitie had an EASY vote to make to secure First Amendment rights of Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Association in Sandy Springs, where he is currently on the City Council. Instead, he once again voted to delay the final vote.

To steal a line from John Monds, “A basic issue of personal liberty such as this shouldn’t be the source of so much debate.”

• Jeff, my only frustration is that Doug didn’t take on your Scientology pals and deferred it. Somehow your Freedom of Religion argument is very lame. You might want to go and have your reading done….

7. tinsandwich says:

How does he plan to get around the VRA? All the changes to election law isn’t that easy to do.

Who will pay for this?

8. JSBarrington says:

Jeff- Doug probably didn’t have anyone there to tell him what to do or how to vote.

And that is a clear example of why Doug is NOT someone we need in the State Capitol. I couldn’t imagine this guy trying to make a decision.

9. drjay says:

is it possible that boh candidates as bright men looking at ways to be innovative as sos looked at what could be done to imrpove voting and both, independently came up w/ a similar idea for a recognized problem?

• I Am Jacks Post says:

No, it’s not. It’s about chronology, dude. It goes like this:

Kemp issues policy initiative, theme, etc. Some time later, MacGinnitie takes Kemp idea, changes a few adjectives, adds it to a bad design, and then reissues said plan as his idea.

It’s happened too many times to be a coincidence.

• Sleepy Tom says:

A line from one of the James Bond books regarding a meeting of foes: “Once is by chance, Mr. Bond. Twice is by coincidence. The third time, Mr. Bond, we go to guns.”

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

drjay,

Now you’re just bringing logic and reason into this. I don’t think we want any of that…

10. I Am Jacks Post says:

Continuing the “Doug hasn’t an original idea” theme, I submit the following:

Notice the front page story: “Doug MacGinnitie, a 2010 candidate for secretary of state, believes the key to creating jobs during the current recession is a focus on small business.”

Well, hell, Doug. Finally, an original idea. Wait, no, Brian Kemp’s website has been called kempmeansbusiness.com for since February of this year.

And Kemp had a “Kemp Means Business” small business suite at the GOP convention.

And Kemp has spent the better part of the year advocating using the SOS’s office to assist small business.

And, well, you get the picture . . .

See, Doug, this is the problem you run into when your campaign slogan is “What Kemp Said.”

11. BuckheadConservative says:

Easy folks….I’ve been following Doug’s campaign from very early on and he’s been talking about this from the beginning. 6 months or so. This is just the release about the formation of the advisory committee. And if you look at the list, it’s a pretty impressive list. Not the sort of group you just throw together after a week or so.

12. Icarus says:

If MacGinnitie talks about business or elections (or any other function of the SOS office), can we expect cries of plagarism from the Kemp campaign? Really?

We heard this a while back, when the Minnesota recount was in the news every day. Doug mentioned it in a speach, and Kemp’s folks claimed plagarism.

For mentioning Minnesota.

Because Kemp apparently trademarked “Minnesota” in the eyes of his supporters, I guess.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Yeah, it’s just been this one instance. My bad.

It would be nice, it’s worth noting, to see Doug out ahead of an idea. That’d be cool, right?

BTW, dude, your sock has a hole in it.

13. JSBarrington says:

To that end Icarus, are you and Doug MacWhatever’s supporters going to continue to lack the intellectual honesty to admit your candidate doesn’t have an original thought and doesn’t have a choice but to copy Kemp?

However, if I were on Doug’s side I would resort to acts of desperation as well. Because I would be scared, very very scared.

Buckle Up.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Awwww, snap! Failed campaign put downs are so awesome!

“Dude, my team beat your your butt like you wuz Mason Rountree.”

For realz!

• Jace Walden says:

I don’t know anything about Doug MacGinnitie, but Kemp’s two most vocal supporters on here (I am Jack’s Post and JSBarrington) are some whiny-*ss b!tches. It leads me to believe that Kemp might be a whiny-*ss b!tch too. Or at least surrounds himself with whiny-*ss b!tches.

• BuckheadConservative says:

JS, let’s talk intellectual honesty….by pointing out this is HERITAGE FOUNDATION idea. It’s not original to either campaign. Doug has been talking about it for a while, Brian has it on some glossy .pdf, and candidates for office across American have this in their platform. At least give Doug credit for citing the Heritage Foundation in his release. He took a good idea, that is being widely adopted and put together a committee to form a solution. People who could give insight into the current practices, programming and infrastructure to make this a reality (I’m assuming that’s why there are tech consultants on it), and folks with information on things like the CACs mentioned above.

This race is about a little more than who managed to write their name on the wheel first after someone else discovered it.

14. Georgia Judge says:

PP has become very predictable and lacks objectivity greatly.It once was a good read,not so much anymore.

Kemp wins this race,Doug overeached by going statewide,he should have ran for the House seat.And yes he should sit down and come up with an orginal thought or have icarus do it for him.

15. JSBarrington says:

Yes- let’s simmer down. Doug MacWhatecer continues to shamelessly copy Kemp’s ideas. Nothing left to say than that.

16. Making Sense says:

Seriously?

Since when is there so much name calling and needless complaining about two candidates trying to offer a solution on a potential issue.

Both are great candidates with unique qualities. Be glad that both of them are willing to step forward into the debate and stop this pointless finger pointing and bullshit.

17. drjay says:

well i am quite undecided in this race–but i know in my race i developed a specific platform on recreation that was new compared to my 07 race and noticed an ad from one of the other candidates about recreation last week–we have never spoken to eachother and my recreation stuff is not on my website b/c it’s pretty new–and it appears we both independently came up w/ some similar ideas on the subject…

and seriously the guys name is on the post so it’s pretty lame and rude to do that to his last name on here…

18. GOPGrassroots says:

Funny how Kemp’s Consultant takes such offense to someone supposedly stealing his candidate’s idea. Yet up in the 9th District this same consultant has no problem with his guy actually stealing an idea from an opponent and firing off a press release touting it…

Tom Graves – 2009 JOBS Act
    Mike Evans – North GA-JOBS Initiative

lol

North GA-JOBS InitiativeShare
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 8:54pm
    Evans Announces North GA-JOBS Initiative

Will Fight for Jobs, Oppose Wasteful Spending and New Taxes in Congress

(Cumming) – Mike Evans, Republican candidate for the 9th Congressional District in Georgia, announced today his new North GA-JOBS Initiative.

• steelfist says:

Tom Graves – Freedom Fighter
      Mike Evans – Stand Strong for Freedom

Tom Graves – I was the first in my family to graduate from college.
      Mike Evans – I was the first in my family to graduate from college too.

Tom Graves – I’ve raised $280k
      Mike Evans – oops

19. jackson says:

I don’t know what this has to do with consultants and other campaigns. Sounds like inside baseball.

I find it interesting that Doug McG hasnt submitted a proposal yet that doesnt mimic Kemps in some way. Thats not an insult. Thats just a fact.

I dont care if one candidate supports what some other candidate supports. Just dont send a dagum press release out about it. Thats silly. And disingenuous.

20. Reality Check says:

Let’s all just calm down. First off, any candidates running for the same seat are for the most part going to have the same talking points. I do agree that it appears clear that Doug has been a day late with most of his ideas/talking points. Now does that mean he has a campaign consultant in over his head? Maybe. Does it mean that this is Doug’s first go around at an office higher than City Council and it is a learning curve for him? Maybe. I personally don’t care how good someone is at campaigning but rather how good one of these candiates will be at running the SOS office. I have known Kemp for a few years as well as some of his close colleges and I have nothing but the upmost respect for him as a business man, public servant and as a person. I have met Doug and spoken with him on a few occasions and during those times have been very impressed with him. However, I have had a few Sandy Springs council men and women tell me they are supporting Brian Kemp and that working with Doug hasn’t been the most pleasant opportunity. Unless something changes I don’t see how I could not vote for Kemp.