Jim Marshall Draws Former Bibb GOP Chair As Republican Challenger

Paul Rish has joined the race to replace Jim Marshall as Congressman from Middle-Georgia. From His Press Release:

William “Paul” Rish officially announced today that he is seeking the 8th Congressional District seat currently held by Jim Marshall. Paul is the president and CEO of Rish Telecommunications, which was started in October of 2003. Paul was also the Chairman of the Bibb County Republican Party from 2008-2009. He is a graduate of DeVry University, attends Ingleside Baptist Church, and is involved in many civic and community activities. Paul grew up in Macon, GA and has many ties to the 8th District. This campaign will be focused on creating jobs, lowering taxes, reforming healthcare, and securing our agricultural prosperity. Please watch for more press releases in the future about the campaigns progress.

I met with Mr. Rish and his campaign team yesterday afternoon to discuss the race. He has been part of the Macon Tea Party movement and understands the voter anger at all levels of government for being unresponsive, out of touch, too large, and too expensive.

Yet he is not an angry man, and I believe this will be key if he is to be successful balancing the demands from a primary electorate that wants “heads on pikes” (to use Chris Farris vernacular) and demands from general election voters that have elected a Democrat in a district that is supposedly made up of a majority of Republicans.

Jim Marshall will not be easy to beat. Doing so will require galvanizing a Republican base that is fractured and angry while not alienating centrists and independents who have shown their willingness to vote for Marshall instead of anyone with “R” next to their name.

I don’t envy the task ahead of Mr. Rish, but I also see nothing that should prevent him from making the race competitive and interesting.

1. Doug Deal says:

I have known Paul for a few years now, and he is a good man. The type a person I wish we had more of in Congress.

For that reason, he has my endorsement, and I will do my best to help in his campaign.

2. Doug Deal says:

Looks plain, but functional to me. I think they kept it internal to save money in the beginning, instead of blowing a wad on cash on something flashy.

3. Some Other Valerie says:

What issues do you care about, John Konop? Are you saying Paul Rish specifically has the same positions as Marshall?

• John Konop says:

I am not sure what positions Paul Rish has vs Jim Marshall. What about the following issues?

Aphganastan

Fair Tax

Immigration

Trade

Healthcare/Medicare

Economy

Education

• GOPGeorgia says:

I think the first vote cast would be for speaker of the house. How does Marshal vote there? A lot of our problems stem from that vote.

4. rugby says:

I’m just curious but what does this even mean:

“He…understands the voter anger at all levels of government for being unresponsive, out of touch, too large, and too expensive.”

Was there a time recently that conservatives in America didn’t exist? Have people just suddenly started complaining about taxes?

• ByteMe says:

Reading between the lines: He “understands” that his goal if he wins is to ensure re-election by getting more of that big government money funneled into his district… while complaining publicly about earmarks.

• Icarus says:

“That’s a fairly trite, meaningless thing to say. Wow, people are upset at big government! And that is new or noteworthy?”

O.K., you got me.

It’s Monday. I was in a hurry. And I have no talent.

There was a time not so long ago under a president named W where “deficits didn’t matter” and so called fiscal conservatives rushed to pass programs like medicare Part-D. And to too many conservatives, fiscal conservatism just means “tax cuts”.

My first question to Mr. Rish was to ask him to define fiscal conservatism. His two word answer: balanced budget.

My conversation with him led me to the conclusion that he is a serious person who will seek serious solutions, rather than someone who is all about trite sound bites and empty platitudes.

Utlimately, it is up to him and his campaign to convince the voters, and apparently even Macon’s own Erick Erickson, that this is the case.

• rugby says:

I knew that would come eventually, the mention of W and that type of Republicans (who are still in office mind you).

My point is–there were still conservatives who wanted to restrict the powers of the government and many of those people were regular voters.

The right has never gone away in America and it never will. If you assume that America is still either a conservative or center-right country, then saying someone “understands” voter anger at the government (which implies the congressman who would field the calls from constituents angry at the spending of the government doesn’t, an idea which is laughable on its own but I digress) means it is hardly noteworthy.

5. Doug Deal says:

Wow, the first day and Marshall’s nasty people are already firing all their guns. A contact of mine has told me that they are shopping around a few character assination stories about Rish to various media outlets. It is insignificant nonsense, but this is the very thing that people need to know about Marshall. He is one of the meanest and petty people in Congress. But at least it is clear he is running scared this time around.

If you want to change Congress, change the morally bankrupt people who are in it. This includes Jim Marshall.

• jbf100 says:

Voters haven’t bought that he’s morally bankrupt (in a heavy Republican district no less). As a close observer of his past 3 elections, painting Jim as a liberal coward has been the strategy of Burns, Collins, and Goddard, and they haven’t worked. If you want a campaign strategy move to fiscal conservatism, and quit trying the same old stuff on him. Voters have figured out that what you say isn’t true anyway.

p.s. Jim has voted against every Congressional budget and says he won’t vote for any Health Care bill on the table, because he wants a balanced budget.

6. Dave Bearse says:

Well it least it wasn’t Dennis Hastert, you know, the last GOP Speaker of the House, who purchased land for $2M in 2004, personally earmarked $200M for new nearby freeway in 2005, and sold the land for $4M in 2006, pocketing $2M.