I May Need To Draft Legislation [UPDATED]

September 29, 2009 8:50 am

by Erick · 30 comments

To shut down the Macon Police Department.

About 130 Macon police officers have expressed interest in forming a union in the wake of rising insurance costs, loss of incentive pay and the city’s failure to put a pay scale in place.

Police Sgt. Steve Draper said word spread after a group of 18 officers had meetings with the Teamsters’ Law Enforcement League over the past several months.

I’m thinking I’ll have the City Attorney draft me legislation to dissolve the police department and contract with the Sheriff to provide public safety services.

[UPDATED:] Looks like I won’t have to draft the legislation. The City Attorney tells me that unionized police officers cannot strike, cannot use a union to collectively bargain, and pretty much cannot do anything other than pay union dues and hold picket signs off duty. I would still rather us contract out to the sheriff’s office than see a union come in. They breed inefficiency, corruption, and taint.

ugadog September 29, 2009 at 9:06 am

Anyone want to challenge Erick? I’ll give money.

Doug Deal September 29, 2009 at 9:54 am

I doubt he is running for re-election.

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 6:53 pm

A good thing, because my vote just went to whoever would have opposed him.

Pete Randall September 29, 2009 at 9:10 am

Nope. Because he’s right.

rugby September 29, 2009 at 9:26 am

So people don’ have the right to join together in a workplace cooperative? And the government has the authority to dictate people’s lives in such an extreme way?

Interesting notions of liberty you subscribe to Pete. Then again, I don’t really expect much (read: anything) from you.

Steve Perkins September 29, 2009 at 10:26 am

I’m sympathetic to the whole “little guys sticking together against the big guys” thing… but my issue with unions is their coercive nature. If the union gets 51% support on one day, the other 49% are forced to either join against their will or find a new job. Moreover, their organizational tactics are pretty thuggish. Employers are criticized for using intimidation to bust unions too… but look at which side supports secret ballots, and which side fights like hell against them!

Coercion and intimidation aside, I’m also pretty disgusted by the seniority system that always seems to accompany union contracts. Merit goes out the window… your pay and advancement are driven by how long you’ve been around, instead of whether or not you’re actually worth a damn on the job. I would go insane in an environment like that.

All that being said, I still don’t see Erick’s problem. Police departments are typically seniority-based, and lord knows there’s no workplace more thuggish… so if there’s any employer meant to be unionized, the police would definitely be it!

seenbetrdayz September 29, 2009 at 11:35 am

I’m interested to know what they plan on accomplishing. After all, you can’t squeeze blood from the turnip that is the City of Macon, GA.

Doug Deal September 29, 2009 at 11:36 am

Steve, I agree with you.

Unions can have a purpose to protect workers and at one time they did just that. Unfortunately today and in recent times they only exist to protect themselves or to help those that are lazy and unproductive.

Pete Randall September 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I said they didn’t have the right? Amusing how in the past you often accuse me of putting words in your mouth and yet you feel no compunction to do the same.

Sure, they can unionize all they want. And they also have the “right” to be fired. Liberty is a two-way street, but I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

rugby September 29, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I was asking a question to clarify for your stance but reading comprehension is a skill I never thought you had (and now I know you don’t).

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 6:53 pm

He is wrong.

galiberal September 29, 2009 at 9:12 am

Erick! You made it like 3 weeks without saying something completely asinine! I am so proud of you. I guess we will restart to clock.

Jeff September 29, 2009 at 9:24 am

Whodathunkit? Once again, a GOPer shows he doesn’t really support the People’s First Amendment rights to peaceably assemble.

Dems, y’all aint much better with your efforts to FORCE people to peaceably assemble against their wishes.

galiberal September 29, 2009 at 9:26 am

BTW, Erick I put a post up about ya! I do miss it when you go on your fast of idiocracy

ByteMe September 29, 2009 at 11:50 am

I didn’t realize Erick was Jewish.

galiberal September 29, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Did I say he was Jewish?

ByteMe September 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Well, last night they did break-fast after Yom Kippur.

I was pretty sure I was going to have to explain the joke.

Bucky Plyler September 29, 2009 at 9:29 am

Teamsters’ Law Enforcement League !!! Forgetaboutit.

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Why don’t you educate yourself about them.

ugadog September 29, 2009 at 10:14 am

Glenn Beck of the Peach State.

galiberal September 29, 2009 at 10:17 am

LMAO

Steve Perkins September 29, 2009 at 11:29 am

If you’re trying to insult Erick, you’re heading in the opposite direction. He lives for the Rush/Beck/Hannity comparisons.

Cousin Pat from Georgia September 29, 2009 at 11:40 am

Typical inside-the-box political conversation. “Let us talk about the theories and histories of unionization without examining why some members of the Macon police force feel they have to take this step.” If the city government of Macon truly hasn’t set up an official pay scale for the police department, there may be bigger fish to fry here.

If employers were more responsive to employees, we wouldn’t need unions. If unions were better run, pragmatic organizations that actually helped develop the workforce, employers might not mind them so much. But let us not talk about those things. No, let’s tee up everyone’s already deeply held anti- or pro- union positions so we can read that for the next 40 some odd comments.

Tinkerhell September 30, 2009 at 7:36 am

Only good post in this thread…

Ronald Daniels September 29, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I have a large problem with a Police Officer, that is a person selected to maintain order, peace, and security in a community contemplating going on strike. Not that this is the end result of a Union, but the concept is absurd.

“Oh hey, I’m not getting paid enough so I’m going to punish the people I’m paid to protect.”

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Strike is not an option. And this comment speaks well of the ignorance the typical person has about police officers AND public safety unions.

It is about having a voice. For years the City of Macon has abused the officer’s who serve. It is past time somebody stood up.

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Go ahead, draft your legislation. And start work on your resume while you are at it.

Mr. Erickson, you have done nothing for us since you came on city council. You and your cronies have pissed on us and told it was rain long enough. Did you expect us to just sit there and be continually abused? While you and the rest of the gang continued to take what little we had away?

Doug Deal October 1, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense.

There are two Republicans on the city council and 13 Democrats. The Democrats have 87% of council and the mayor’s office. “Help, I’m being oppressed!”

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Two Republicans who have done nothing to help the situation.

Fed Up October 1, 2009 at 7:55 pm

How about instead of a knee-jerk reaction to the word “Union” he look at WHY we feel the need to do this?

Comments on this entry are closed.