Poor ‘ol Jimmy Carter. Himself a miserable failure as a leader, he continues to rely on tired old pages from the liberal playbook.

Jimmy Carter is going to turn 85 on October 1. He should consider that a good time to quietly withdraw from public life and just continue to build houses for people to keep them chained and shackled in economically impoverished and dangerous communities.

Now, much like the colossal ignoramus that is U.S. Representative Hank Johnson (D-GA), poor President Carter just has to open his tattered playbook that led him to such tremendous success miserable failure as the leader of the free world and opine on the root cause for recent protests against President Obama. They couldn’t possibly be rooted in vehement disagreement with him on policy, could they?

“I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he’s African American,” Carter told NBC in an interview. “I live in the South, and I’ve seen the South come a long way, and I’ve seen the rest of the country that shared the South’s attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African Americans”

Continued Carter: “And that racism inclination still exists. . . . It’s an abominable circumstance, and it grieves me and concerns me very deeply.”

The 39th president also predicted that Obama will be able to “triumph over the racist attitude that is the basis for the negative environment that we see so vividly demonstrated in public affairs in recent days.”

More here, here and here. At some point, I hope that a family friend will speak to President Carter about his pathetic ravings from a small man and suggest that, indeed, this is a good time to put a halt to the years of embarrassment his “thoughts” have brought him.

Maybe tonight at Emory University in Atlanta at 8 p.m., when he makes his annual address to the freshman class, a brave student will confront him on his ravings. That’s right, the speech will be at Emory. Never mind.

1. When I saw this story on the news feeds this morning, I kinda figured Pete Randall would be the one to break it on Peach Pundit. I just didn’t expect him to restrain himself to the point where I actually agree with the post.

Still, just to assure everyone that the apocalypse is not upon us… that jab at Habitat for Humanity was so ignorant as to be bizarre.

2. tinsandwich says:

Sometimes when my grand daddy talks, I just nod my head and smile. Then I get up and tell him I love him and leave. I like to hear him talk about his prime and what he is thinking but in the end, its just talk.

• MSBassSinger says:

I have no interest whatsoever in Kanye West’s “music” or “music” of that genre. I avoid it whenever possible, and cringe when I can’t. As far as I am concerned, anyone with an appreciation of the “thug” culture, of whatever variety, cannot be taken seriously about anything, and needs to wake up and grow up. Too bad the NFL, NBA, and college football tolerate such childishness.

That said, I saw and listened to Kanye West on Leno. I saw and heard a man who offered no excuses for his behavior, who admitted fault and took responsibility, and seemed like he was ready to get his life straight. It took courage for him to run contrary to character and “face the music” publicly and to personally apologize to the girl.

What I saw a was unusual – a male media star acting like a real man. If he follows through on his promise to withdraw for a time, and re-evaluate his life, that will cost him money, and probably some fans. Only time will tell if he continues to make the right choices. I have a lot of respect for what he did on Leno’s show, and the subsequent actions. I will have a lot more respect if this results in a changed man.

• AubieTurtle says:

Seriously! In this age of the unpology, it is surprising to see anyone take responsibility for their mistakes and remorse at more than the negative consequences that result from the mistake. I don’t want to congratulate him too much since he acted like a complete jerk to get himself in this situation but he could have so easily made excuses and pointed fingers elsewhere as most do.

• Game Fan says:

I’m sure the “thug” culture has no interest in you either so I wouldn’t worry about it. And of course someone’s appreciation of different genres of music doesn’t equate to participating in the culture. A wide variety of people like rap and hip hop and other extreme forms of music occasionally and some even like to study what the artist is saying. Many times different types of music are simply artists who, as Marilyn Manson said are simply “reporting back” about what they’re seeing. With musicians and directors many times we’re talking about sensitive folks who are often artistic geniuses. This sure would be a boring place if the “judgemental” crowd in the coat-and-tie ran everything.

3. fishtail says:

So are you guys calling PETE RANDALL out as a bigot/racist? He obviously likes to trumpet bad news for black politicians, but does that make him a racist? Maybe PETE should raise hell about a crooked GOP politician and he will be forgiven…

• ByteMe says:

Yes, he is a bigot. Absolutely, 100%. He is the typical “oppressed white male” who thinks it’s the fault of them “nigras” that makes him such a pathetic excuse for a human.

Hey, Pete: God wants your skin back, since you’re wasting it.

• MSBassSinger says:

The real racism is in such liberal responses. They show an unrealized underlying belief that certain minorities are not as capable as whites, specifically liberal whites, and that they need paternalistic protection. Hence the defensiveness you see here and elsewhere whenever a black or Latino is criticized for something that, had a white man done or said the same thing, would have warranted no criticism by said liberal. Same with “set asides”, affirmative action, etc. The liberal thinks, “They must need our help because they aren’t as smart or capable as we are”.

Conservative blacks I have read refer to this as the “liberal plantation mentality”. It is a defacto structure where liberal white elites know what is best for blacks and Latinos, and reward those who do what the modern incarnation of the “white massa” elites say, and spit vitriol on those blacks and Latinos who dare to think independently.

This is not limited to Democrat liberals. One can see it in the Rockefeller Republican liberals. There is a reason why Michael Steele is the RNC chair instead of someone like J. C. Watts. Steele is much more controllable by the “white massas” of the Rockefeller Republicans who run the party.

If you are looking for racism in the white community, look to the left. That manifestation lives there, and it always has, going back to the days of segregation, Jim Crow laws, the creation and mission of Planned Parenthood, eugenics, the socialist and fascist movements in late 19th and early 20th century Europe, etc.

Remember, when, as a conservative, a liberal calls you racist, ignorant, close-minded, hateful, etc. – it is a classic case of projection.

• Dave Bearse says:

“Hence the defensiveness you see here and elsewhere whenever a black or Latino is criticized for something that, had a white man done or said the same thing, would have warranted no criticism by said liberal.”

You’re daft if you think there would have been no criticism had a white man grabbed the mike and made similar comments.

• MSBassSinger says:

You missed the point. it wasn’t about Kanye, it was about this thread’s topic of Carter calling ideological criticism racist. When Hillary was criticized for her silly government run health care program, no one called it racist. when al Gore is criticized for pushing the myth of anthropogenic global climate change, no one calls it racist. But criticize Obama on ideological grounds, and suddenly that is racist.

• ByteMe says:

Hahahahaha…..

Yes, because it’s clearly liberals who run around flying the confederate war flag.

LOL! Too entertaining.

Try spending a few days as a minority before you comment on this topic.

• MSBassSinger says:

I’ve been a Southerner living up north working in an advanced, high tech profession. I’ve been a white guy in a mostly “minority” staff. I’ve been the lone Microsoft developer on a staff of Java developers. I’ve been a sailor among Marines. So yes, I’ve been the minority. And never did it affect how I acted, nor did I ever use it as an excuse. I did find it funny that when I first went to work up north in that high tech job, the Yankees (a term I did not use there) I worked with felt the need to speak slowly to me, until someone found out my background. They assumed Southern=Low IQ. Imagine a work environment where it is assumed and practiced that Black=Low IQ. Funny that the latter is rightly abhorrent, but the former is acceptable.

And since when is the Confederate battle flag racist other than in the opinions of the ignorant and the racist? It is precisely those who do not want to erase our heritage that treat minorities as they would anyone else – on their character, not their color. It is you libs who insist on maintaining the paternalistic plantation today, and seeing people through the lenses of color and gender instead of character.

There is only one race – the human race.

• ByteMe says:

I’ve been the lone Microsoft developer on a staff of Java developers.

I’m actually truly amused by this.

The rest of it is clear you have never truly been a minority. The Yankee situation was close, but that was hardly “institutional prejudice” where you had to worry about whether you could even get the job or live in a certain location or eat in a particular restaurant in the first place because of something you couldn’t change no matter how hard you tried.

Denial is an option, but not one that most people will take seriously.

• GOPGeorgia says:

“How about showing up for work, having the boss find out what religion you were and asking you — in a more shocked manner than anything — where your horns and tail were? Try wrapping your mind around that level of prejudice. That’s NOT an aberration for millions in this country. ”

Millions, horns and a tail…got it.

• I don’t think that Pete’s shtick is bigotry per se. However, you have a bit of an image problem when everyone on Peach Pundit anticipates a post from you EVERY time there’s a race-related story in the news. It’s kinda like being someone who talks about NOTHING but homosexuality every time they show up. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that”… but most folks will speculate about that person’s own orientation.

4. John Konop says:

This is even from a right wing blog Little Green Footballs!

Tea Party Leader Mark Williams: Hoist With His Own Petard

…The amazing thing is that even when his own blatantly racist, bigoted remarks are brought up and thrown in his face, he doesn’t say something like, “OK, maybe that was a little over the top, but we need to focus on the real issues… yadda yadda.” You know, the kind of political spinning almost everyone knows how to do these days.

Nope. He proudly stands by his “sekrit Moslem welfare thug” rant, and refuses to back down….

5. Jane says:

Carter and Johnson’s rant reminds me of the McKinney’s. Next thing you know Pres Carter will be blaming the J.E.W’s just like Billy McKinney did.

6. BuckheadConservative says:

NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC and the like only interview Carter b/c they know they’ll get a statement like this out of him. Now, whether it’s to boost ratings, because they agree wtih the statement but can’t say it themselves or a combination of both we can debate. But there is no reason besides those to solicit an opinion from Jimmy Carter on anything besides maybe growing peanuts. If you want an opinion from a former Democratic president, talk to Bill Clinton. He can offer an intelligent opinion (I’lll probably disagree with, but well thought out) with the added benefit of not being an anti-Semite.

I promise, if we could go six months w/o an asinine statement from Jimmy Carter the whole nation would forget about him and he would just kinda wither up and disappear.

7. birdfan says:

Will someone please remind former President Carter and Hank Johnson that Barack Obama is multi-racial? So, are the statements “half” racist?

• ByteMe says:

It’s the “dark half” those birthers, deathers, and — now we find out — the ones who think he’s the anti-christ (no foolin’) are focused on.

8. MSBassSinger says:

Pete, keep up the good posts. Not all PP readers suffer from Guilty White Man Syndrome. I, for one, and glad someone is willing to make sure idiocy is not hidden just because the idiocy relates to some race other than white.

I am convinced that Jimmy Carter has for some years been suffering from some form of dementia. That his antisemitism is so much more open now than in years past is one indicator. The left love to use him to say outrageous things. You’d think that if his family and the folks at the Carter Center truly loved him, they’d keep him quietly away from speaking in public as he finishes whatever time he has left without further embarrassing himself.

Carter is to be pitied, but not hated.

9. swgolde says:

I’m an Emory Young Dem, and I actually know the Chairman of CR on campus. I can assure you there will be plenty of question submissions of the sort after talking with him.

10. Progressive Dem says:

History will be very kind to Jimmy Carter: national energy policy; Camp David peace accord between the largest Arab army and Israel; Panama Canal treaty, human rights policy, deregulated phone, trucking and airlines and negotiated the safe release of all hostages in Iran. For some reason he also pardoned Gordon Liddy and restored the citizenship of Jefferson Davis. His work after his presidency is remarkable. He’ll stack up well against the Bush’s and Clinton.

• MSBassSinger says:

Carter did little more for the Camp David accords than serve coffee and doughnuts. It was Sadat and Begin who started the talks, and needed neutral ground for them. Carter added nothing to the negotiations except a lifetime of trying to take the credit for them.

The Panama Canal treaty is an acknowledged failure.

His human rights policy accomplished nothing because our enemies knew he had no teeth – unless you count robbing American athletes of the opportunity to compete in the Olympics and hurting American farm exports because of his foolish human rights policies, to be positive things.

Carter had little effect on getting the Iranian hostages released, but his policies towards Iran are what caused it and gave life to the jihadist movement today. The Iranians took Reagan quite seriously and that is why the let them go.

You are entitled to your opinions, but not to your facts. Facts are what they are, and trying to rewrite history won’t change them. Carter was a disaster as President, and brought shame on all of us who, like him, served as Navy “nukes”.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Well we “leased” the canal from Panama after creating that nation by splitting up Colombia. All Carter did was renegotiate the lease for the peaceful transfer of the canal (and the Zone, which at the time was actually considered sovereign US territory) to the Panamanians. To many on this site, that’s considered a failure. I think it’s the “peaceful transfer” that bothers most people.

• MSBassSinger says:

US built it with our money, not theirs.
      Where Spain and France failed, we succeeded in building the canal.
      Post-war Panamanian protests about the canal were aided by Soviet active measures.
      The US paid, in todays dollars, millions per year to Panama for each year we leased the canal.
      The US earned millions per year, in today’s dollars, i nfees that we now lose.
      Panama has given an exclusive lease to China, whose leadership sees the US as an adversary, for the two major port entries to the canal.

Try this Congressional record on for size:

Yes, the Panama Canal Treaty was a failure for us. Great for our enemies, though.

• griftdrift says:

“Yes, the Panama Canal Treaty was a failure for us. Great for our enemies, though”

An inconvenient fact you omit is the Torrijos-Carter Treaty allows the U.S. to defend the neutrality of the canal in perpuity.

I really thought this B.S. myth died out in the 80s.

• MSBassSinger says:

And with China now in control, how’s that working out for you? Doesn’t sound very neutral when China decides to get offensive in Taiwan and shuts down our traffic in the Canal.

Sorry, the only BS myth is that the Panama Canal Treaty was a good thing for the US.

• griftdrift says:

Yeah because the 3rd and 7th Fleets (already in the Pacific) couldn’t handle the Chinese.

And because the Rapid Deployment Force couldn’t retake the Canal Zone any time it wanted.

Okaaaaaaaaay

• MSBassSinger says:

griftdrift,

Maybe if you had some Naval service you’d understand just how stretched out the Navy is, especially with the Obama downsizing. If the choice is between keeping the Canal and losing a few ships and thousands of sailors and Marines in protecting Taiwan and the Canal, I would choose the pre-emptive keeping of the Canal so we wouldn’t be in a position to lose our people and ships. China is even more certain now that the US, with Obama at the helm, will not adequately defend the neutrality of the seas around China. China, thanks largely to the technology transfers to China under Clinton, the blindness of the Bush 43 administration, and the huge cash transfers from the sale of Chinese goods in America, China has modernized their navy and air force, including offensive weapons against American satellites.

• griftdrift says:

Oh I forgot to mention the 5th fleet which is currently stationed near the Persian Gulf.

Closer to the Pacific Rim than to the 100 year old canal through which our capitol ships can’t even pass.

• MSBassSinger says:

Sorry, Steve Perkins. I read the story you cited, and it was laughable. Salon.com is certainly the place I’d go for balanced and accurate military spending articles. And with their prolific use of the antisemitic term “neoconservative”, as opposed to the less-charged and more accurate “Rockefeller Republicans”, I am sure there was no slant. 🙂

I notice they used the same argument (baseline budgeting) conservatives used about actual increases in social spending when the Democrats were calling them “cuts” back in the 80s. However, an 8% actual increase in spending is barely enough to keep up with inflation. The truth is that Bush and Obama have both left us with a grossly undersized military given the real world threats we face.

I don’t expect you to wake up and smell the coffee. But, when the day comes that China challenges freedom of the seas and Taiwan’s freedom, and Russia sends troops, airplanes, and ships to try and rebuild their empire, just remember you heard it here first.

• Doug Deal says:

They are expanding the canal to make room for larger capacity container ships, which share the title with supertankers and cruise ships as the largest ship types in the word.

When this is complete, aircraft carriers will fit easily.

• If I follow your argument accurately…

(1) Salon.com should be dismissed out of hand for bias.
            (2) An 8% increase is actually a cut, because it doesn’t keep up with inflation.
            (3) You’ll have won the argument when armageddon occurs and the world comes to an end.

My response:

(1) Name a political site that DOESN’T have some degree of bias. Venture out of your familiar echo chambers now and then, it’s good for the brain.
            (2) Uh, inflation is presently around 3-4%.
            (3) Perhaps, but probably not before then.

• ByteMe says:

Inflation is actually running negative just now, but should average about 1-2% for the next year.

The rest was fine, carry on. 🙂

• Game Fan says:

I would have to agree with MSBassinger with the Panama Canal. And as someone who never actually bought into this whole idea of US Hegemony in the Middle East or East Europe or many other parts of the world, at the same time I never saw the downside to “taking what’s ours” with the Panama Canal. This type of “surrender” is why Reagan was elected in a landslide.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Holy crap GriftDrift, you have a lot more patience than I’ll ever have. I can’t stand arguing with fools who can’t get past their preconceptions like MsBass. Poor guy will never evolve and grow intellectually…kind of feel bad for the fella.

• MSBassSinger says:

Slavishly buying into liberal orthodoxy=intellectual growth. Seriously? I’ll put my intellect up against anyone on PP.

As for inflation, it is higher than the “official” figures. Check out http://www.shadowstats.com/

But, that is OK. I don’t expect liberals to have patience with conservatives who won’t back down when they are right. 🙂 I’m good that we can disagree and respect each other. Are you, or have you not evolved enough? 🙂

11. aquaman says:

If we would just pay him the attention he deserves (none) maybe the press would quit sticking a microphone in his face every time they need an idiot remark. His greatest accomplishment; advised us to wear a sweater and keep our houses colder… kind of reminds you of another bit of wisdom about tire inflation, strange similarity.

12. Jane says:

Jimmy Carter the man who decided it was braver to battle our farmers and Olympic athletes instead of talking tough against the Soviets.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

He was talking tough with the Soviet Union; hence the embargo. Ironic, since the same people who encourage the ongoing embargo on Cuba resisted it on the Soviet Union.

Oh well, time for my nightly dose of Vodka.

13. Howard Roark says:

Jimmy Carter is a proven racist. In Carl Sanders autobiography he recounts how the carter campaign mailed a picture of then candidate Sanders hugging a black player for the Atlanta Hawks after they Hawks won their first game. The photo was mailed to all barber shops in the state as well as white churches.

In the book, The real Jimmy Carter: how our worst ex-president undermines American By Steven F. Hayward the author collaborates Governor Sanders story of how Carter played the race card in order to be elected governor.

The Real Jimmy Carter: Jimmy the Faburcator runs for Governor (Page 46) and Playing the Race Card (Page 48)

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

And George Wallace was a liberal, then a racist, then a liberal…then he died….

Of course Sonny, Deal, Jack Hill, were all Dems…then “Republicans”… then whatever…

• …all while perpetuating similar mass distractions dividing dividing the country with populist rhetoric in order to lead the country down the path from freedom to fascism/socialism.

• gatormathis says:

…….and Jimmah Carter is still very much a dimmah crat……..nuke kee ear but still a dimmah crat……..

14. Dave says:

Carter has been pathetic for years. He couldn’t get invited to anything for years following his landslide defeat and for years after the even more devastating destruction of Mondale. He’s a national joke.

15. John Konop says:

One more example of race baiting!

Rush Limbaugh: “Obama’s America – White Kids Get Beat Up With The Black Kids Cheering”

RUSH SPEWING HATE;

You put your kids on a school bus you expect safety but in Obama’s America the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering ‘yeah, right on, right on, right on.’ Of course everybody said the white kid deserved it he was born a racist, he’s white.

THE FACTS;

STL-A student on a Belleville West High School bus was beaten for his choice of seat, not because he was white, according to a witness and police.

“The incident appears now to be more about a couple of bullies on a bus dictating where people sit,” said Belleville Police Capt. Don Sax, who originally said Monday’s attack may have been racially motivated.

WATCH

16. gatormathis says:

THE FACTS;

Are there facts??? I thought in the Rosa Parks incident, it was all about where she was sitting, but that was deemed as racial………….thugs is thugs whatever color they be…

17. Banjo.Bob says:

“That’s right, the speech will be at Emory. Never mind.”

Give us some credit. We certainly tried. The guy who heavily screens the questions is one of the leftist deans on campus.

18. John Konop says:

Do you really want to be associated with people who make comments like this? “Tea Party” Leader Melts Down On CNN:
    Obama Is An “Indonesian Muslim Turned Welfare Thug”

This is from conservative blog Little Green Footballs!

Tea Party Leader Mark Williams: Hoist With His Own Petard

As I said most Republicans I have met are not racist but it would be hypocritical not to call out people who step way over the line!

• B Balz says:

This is so far off topic, please bear with me–

I cannot hake the image of an 18 year old boy carrying his newborn infant to a sewer on a rainy night in Georgia this week.

That the man is an African American is a byline, frankly, as it could have easily been an ignorant, lost white kid taking this callous act to completion.

My point is that we must do whatever we can, as AMERICANS, to educate our kids, and especially the kids who cannot get any education due to their homelife.

WE will perish as a Nation at the infallible enemy of division.