Who is RomneyGingrich12?

June 29, 2009 10:37 am

by Erick · 47 comments

This is the user who edited Karen Handel’s wikipedia biography to state that she received a GED instead of graduating from high school. In fact, Handel both graduated from high school and went on to college until getting a job in the White House.

Judging by RomneyGingrich12’s history on Wikipedia, he appears to be a big fan of John Oxendine, having edited the Ox’s bio religiously and also having made sure to point out in Ray McBerry’s biography that McBerry came in second in a straw poll to Oxendine. The original reference to McBerry just said he came in second.

RomneyGingrich12 made sure McBerry’s bio noted Oxendine came in first. He also repeatedly deleted other people’s editorial revisions on Karen Handel that only pertained to finding her in Wikipedia and noting she is an American politician.

I suspect if I were to browse our IP log versus RomneyGingrich12’s IP log at Wikipedia we’d have the identity ASAP. Hmmm . . . .

[UPDATE:] We may have the person. Oxendine’s payroll might get smaller as a result.

Dash Riptide June 29, 2009 at 10:45 am

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for you meddling bloggers.

Dash Riptide July 2, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Ha! I was on the teevee!

Doug Deal June 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

What a loser.

My guess is NGA Indy.

Kellie June 29, 2009 at 12:10 pm

He has beem MIA lately.

Steve Perkins June 29, 2009 at 11:21 am

LOL! Erick takes information from some random Washington blogger without a fact-check, and treats it as more authoritative than his own personal knowledge. Then when the information turns out to be false, he gets hyper-indignant and demands to know “why did Stu rely on this?!?”.

Err… why did YOU rely on it, Erick? I can understand some guy in Washington taking a quick glance at Wikipedia for background info on a local political figure in Georgia. I can’t understand a local Georgian relying on beltway blogging for info on a local candidate that he knows personally and has endorsed. Don’t bluster indignantly about OTHER people’s fact-checking… just admit you got fooled and fell for it.

Doug Deal June 29, 2009 at 11:26 am

Steve,

I agree with your point about the beltway pundit, but the wikipedia article wasn’t about fact checking, it was about an operative trying to smear an oposing candidate. Which is disgusting, and if I was ever a candidate and someone in my campaign did such a thing, they would be outed and fired.

I wouldn’t expect aparently ethically challenged Oxendine to ever do such a thing.

Steve Perkins June 29, 2009 at 11:34 am

Oh, don’t get me wrong… I find humor in Erick’s reaction, but that doesn’t mean the guy vandalizing the Wikipedia entry isn’t an outright scumbag.

Still, probably the most damning thing I’ve heard yet about Handel is that one of her own supporters blogged about her having a GED… apparently assuming at first that it was true. There were numerous comments from other people on that thread, none of whom suspected otherwise. Ouch… THAT shows an image problem to begin with, regardless of what’s going on with Wikipedia.

Doug Deal June 29, 2009 at 11:44 am

Haha. I have to agree with you there.

YourFutureLeader June 29, 2009 at 11:42 am

Why does this even matter? Does anybody else see the hilarity in how in the early stages of the GOP gubernatorial race the debate isnt about issues, funding peachcare is just one of 100s of examples, but instead is about somebody editing a wiki page? Seriously? People are bent out of shape because somebody editing a non-academic resource about their candidate? Talk about having lost sight of what’s important.

When you shine light on something that is not important or even really matters then you give it credence, and you make it something its not. Frankly I dont care if RomneyGingrich is Ox’s campaign manager, or some 30+ yr old sitting in his mom’s basement eating cheerios in a bathrobe. This stuff isn’t important, the issues are. But don’t try and tell the GOP that apparently…

Doug Deal June 29, 2009 at 11:49 am

The culture that a leader creates is often relected in the actions of his followers. Some people do what is right because it is what is right. Some people do what is right because they are afraid of getting caught. Some just do whatever they think it takes to win, and sometimes just to be petty. But enough about Oxendine.

YourFutureLeader June 29, 2009 at 11:56 am

And they do this because its proven that people will mindlessly follow these idiotic antics because they receive coverage. If Erick doesn’t post this on the FP, does it ever even come up? Probably not, so by him simply putting it up, it went from something maybe a couple 100 of people see and that never filters down to the voters to now something that every political operative in the state sees and can be whispered about and reach the voters. If Im working for or supporting a candidate, that’s not the kind of coverage I want for my guy/girl.

Dash Riptide June 29, 2009 at 11:53 am

Frankly I dont care if RomneyGingrich is … some 30+ yr old sitting in his mom’s basement eating cheerios in a bathrobe.

I prefer Cocoa Puffs.

YourFutureLeader June 29, 2009 at 11:57 am

Personally I like Cinnamon Toast Crunch but Im onlt 20+ so I haven’t graduated to big boy cereals yet.

Joshua Morris June 29, 2009 at 11:45 am

Something tells me the person has been in trouble for other campaign mischief. I’m interested to find out who he is.

I Am Jacks Post June 29, 2009 at 11:45 am

If you guys think Stu Rothenberg is “some random Washington blogger,” then you really don’t read much.

And who’s to say that Rothenberg got the GED thing from Wikipedia?

Erick’s “nu-uh, she did so graduate” notwithstanding, Handel’s own own website contains the very vague (and seemingly unnecessary) comment, “She got a job and finished high school.”

I really don’t care one way or the other, as this isn’t really a substantive campaign issue. But if this were Obama and that goofy birth certificate controversy, you all would be losing your minds, demanding to see proof of said certificate instead of hyperventilating in defense of your chosen candidate.

anewday June 29, 2009 at 11:48 am

LOL this is in my top ten of most ridiculous post ever on Peach Pundit. It is Wikipedia. Firing someone for posting something on Peach Pundit would be absolutely idiotic unless that post was about a direct superior from a subordinate. The candidate probably encourages that type of action. It’s not like RomneyGingrich12 made up a post about Handel doing crack. He just put something down that is widely believed by a majority of the Georgia citizens.

“Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information.”–Michael Scott

Obviously Eric and Michael have something in common.

tocallaghan June 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

I checked out Oxendine’s Wikipedia page, and I saw no reference to when he crashed those cars. Not that I really care about him crashing the cars, but I am pretty sure the incidents used to be on the Wikipedia page.

Dash Riptide June 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

Uh oh.

Jeff June 29, 2009 at 11:59 am

Like others have said, I wouldn’t count on Ox’s payroll getting smaller as a result of this – and honestly, I’m not even sure that it should.

If this is the way he chooses to run his campaign (and this is possibly just the most recent evidence – in a LONG string -of this), his tactics should be made an issue in the race and the People of Georgia should tell him crawl back into whatever little hole he came out of.

rugby June 29, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Who the hell would edit a Wikipedia page after the Brilliant incident in 2006? What an idiot, The Ox’s campaign (perfect and god-like already) can only benefit by losing this clown.

Pine Knot June 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm
ecwoodrow June 29, 2009 at 12:18 pm

err.. Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but a few minutes ago I thought it said he was a she?

ecwoodrow June 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Reverse that, I thought it said she was a he

ecwoodrow June 29, 2009 at 12:33 pm
IndyInjun June 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm

A morphing blogger……whodathunk

ecwoodrow June 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm
I Am Jacks Post June 29, 2009 at 12:48 pm

If the GED allegations are false, and Handle graduated with her class. then she should publicly demand Rothenberg correct the column on his website as well as the version that appeared in Roll Call last Thursday, the 25th.

foray June 29, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Brian Laurens– enough said

Pine Knot June 29, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I wonder.

GOPGeorgia June 29, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Is that confirmed or just a guess?

Bill Simon June 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm

It’s a malicious guess. Mr.Laurens has told me that his time working for Ox is not spent online at all.

Red Phillips June 29, 2009 at 1:27 pm

The fact that someone named RomneyGingrich12 supports Ox seems like the real scandal here to me. (Are there two more barf inducing examples of what is wrong with modern “conservatism” than Romney and Gingrich?) I thought Ox was supposed to be a conservative that all the conservatives are supporting. I seriously doubt anyone named RomneyGingrich12 would support Ray McBerry.

As for the Wikipedia entry it seems to me to matter whether RG12 thought they were posting the truth re. the GED or if it was an intentional smear.

anewday June 29, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Yeah someone who supports Ray McBerry would be more suited for a Ron Paul candidacy.

Technocrat June 29, 2009 at 2:49 pm

If it turns out that the GED is correct hopefully she will posts her scores and how many times she had to take it to pass. Same with those promised college courses.

Bill Simon June 29, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Red! How come you don’t have your screen name as “Red Phillips, MD, I-am-so-much-smarter-than-anyone-else” ??

Kellie June 29, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Goldwater reserves all rights to “I-am-so-much-smarter-than-anyone-else”

GOPGeorgia June 29, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I thought that was JK when discussing the FT?

Doug Deal June 29, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Kellie, thats “So much richer and therefore expose to secret knowledge more than anybody else”. I don’t think he ever layed down the smarter guantlet.

Kellie June 29, 2009 at 4:04 pm

My bad.

Red Phillips June 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm

For the same reason that you don’t have Bill Simon, anti-religion phobic as yours.

Red Phillips June 29, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Bill, I only dropped the MD because you made some snide comment about Flag supporters being uneducated or something like that.

Bill Simon June 29, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Red,

The term should have been “ignorant.” And, they are.

South Fulton Guy June 29, 2009 at 7:46 pm

There are sure quite a few new handles (no pun intended) appearing on this post.
One wonders how many were created today and if any are RomneyGingrich12 recreating himself to defend himself.
It sure would be nice if it was apparent the date the ID’s posting replies were created.

Doug Deal June 29, 2009 at 8:13 pm

One of my friends suggested the campaign slogan “Jiggle the Handel” as a possible campaign slogan, speaking of puns.

Red Phillips June 29, 2009 at 8:19 pm

“The term should have been “ignorant.” And, they are.”

So not bowing to Politically Correct Cultural Marxism makes one ignorant? Funny, given today’s oppressive PC climate I would say it makes them courageous.

Bill Simon June 29, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Red,

How much are you and your kinfolk DYING for Ray McBerry to win so you can fly your 1956 Georgia Flag in celebration?

Kellie June 30, 2009 at 4:52 am

Is Ray wanting to change the flag? That’s a big waste of money.

Comments on this entry are closed.