Watering Restrictions Gone, But Not Really

The state has lifted all restrictions on outdoor watering except for those it has not. Details here.

Georgia’s state Drought Response Committee lifted watering restrictions statewide this morning for the first time since a historic drought began in 2006.

Residential watering is still limited to three times a week on odd-even days, but residents may water at any time of the day. Previously in the midstate, watering was not permitted except between midnight and 10 a.m., except in Macon, which received permission to allow residents to water from 4 p.m. to midnight as well.

1. Tom says:

Like this is hardly new. After all, we should just be happy we’re allowed to breath the air…even after they figure out a way to tax us for our O2 consumption.

2. Terran1212 says:

“So you can water your lawn with the water you pay for, but only when the government tells you that you can.”

Did you just wake up one morning and discover that you don’t live on the planet all by yourself and that there’s externalities that affect everyone else around you? By golly, Ms. Rand!

3. Offer still stands:
    I’ll sell you some water if you need it.

I have a pond that never went dry during Georgia’s “hysterical” drought and a well that only dropped… maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

well water: $1 gal
    pond water: 50 cents gal

4. Doug Deal says:

Erick, water is a major pollutant. 99% of all nuclear waste is composed of water. And water also makes up 70% of the composition of all murderers. Be thankful the government is protecting us.

Now, what if we over water and it causes storm runnoff?

5. ByteMe says:

Joshua: we are at “level 2”, which is this:

Declared Drought Response Level Two – Outdoor water use may occur on scheduled
    days within the hours of 12:00 midnight to 10:00 a.m.
    (a) Scheduled days for odd-numbered addresses are Tuesdays, Thursdays and
    Sundays.
    (b) Scheduled days for even-numbered addresses and golf course fairways are
    Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
    (c) The following uses are prohibited:
    1) Using hydrants for any purpose other than firefighting, public health,
    safety or flushing.
    2) Washing hard surfaces, such as streets, gutters, sidewalks and
    driveways except when necessary for public health and safety.

Nothing about cars (that’s level 3). We were Level 4.

6. God Forbid the state keep you from wasting water

Don’t you just love these collectivist terms…

For them I’ll take it slow… If I buy the water, it is my property. If it is mine, the state has no rights or say in what I do with it (unless I choose to drown someone with it, of course). What you consider waste, may not be what I consider waste. If it is mine, what do you care what I do with it? It is not yours or the states! geeez!

7. UGALiberal says:

Daniel,

I’ll take it even slower for you. When there are scarce resources (such as water) the government has a right to ration such water so that you desire to water you grass does not get in the way of someone’s else’s need of water for life!

See, watering grass bad, watering humans good.

8. 1. I disagree that the premise existed. (Yes, I’m a “drought” denier). If there was a problem with supplying water to those that wanted to purchase it… my guess, government intervention caused it.
    2. Government is a man made entity and has no rights other than those delegated to it. Telling others what they can and can’t do with their property is not one of them.
    3 See, if it’s my water, watering human good, watering grass good, too… government overstepping its legitimate purpose, bad.

9. aquaman says:

…….Joshua: we are at “level 2″, which is this

According to the press release:
    Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:00 PM
    To: Governor Perdue’s Press Office
    Subject: Press Release: Governor, EPD Ease Outdoor Water Use Schedules

We’re on non-drought.
    Governor Perdue announced today that due to significant rainfall and improved water supplies the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD) has issued a non-drought schedule for outdoor water use for the first time since June 2006.

10. Dave Bearse says:

2010 is looking better and for the Dems in 2010, if a couple dollar per month tax for stormwater control, and water restrictions coming off an exceptional drought are typical of the issues influencing the GOP base in the selection of candidates.

It’s the kind of talk that causes moderates and independents to tune out the GOP on other tax and regulation matters.

11. rugby says:

“Yes, I’m a “drought” denier”

So you are a denier of objective empirical evidence? Great to know buddy! Looks great for your candidates too!

12. travelindemga says:

If my not watering my lawn or washing my car can help farmers in South Georgia, I don’t have a problem with it. Even if I did “pay” for it.

13. If they didn’t serve beer on tap tomorrow night, would they be draught deniers?

Only if the gov tries telling us there is a shortage when in fact their colossal mismanagement/over management of a resource is responsible.

But thank God, there won’t be a shortage o beer, because we’re not relying on the gov to supply it.

Rugby,
    Just a little tongue in cheek (I don’t take myself as serious as you sometimes take me) and apparently setting one up for DD. I use to do it for Chris, but he’s been missing or have been missing them.

But “objective empirical evidence,”… really? I would call it sensationalizing or misdirecting attention from the other, more relevant facts. Learn to be a little more skeptical…. When people are telling you “the sky is falling”… most likely, it’s just a bunch of “nuts”.

14. rugby says:

BTW: those docks at the bottom are supposed to be over the water. They aren’t because there isn’t enough water to reach them now.

I would love to see your evidence that this is overblown or sensationalized or some other “more relevant facts.” I guess those would be something like, humans don’t really need water to survive or something like that.

15. Doug Deal says:

rugby,

I am working on a theory that if you slowly reduce your intake of water, over-time you can reduce your dependency and kick the addiction. I will let you know how it turns out.

16. rugby says:

Doug:

Shoot for the trifecta–no need for water, oxygen, or caloric intake. Personally I want to get rid of the need for all three.

17. Rugby,

Nice picture of what happens when you let more water leave a reservoir than is coming in to it; who’d thunk, a damned river becomes a river again.

Instead of MSNBC, try here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/annual/

Also, look at the private owned/managed lakes in the area. ie Arrowhead.

Just so you understand me, I’ve agreed previously that there was less than average rainfall the last couple of years (as far as our limited data showed, but river levels stayed pretty close to average). But for GA, up years and down years are normal and should be prepared for. In south GA, we even have indigenous pine trees that rely on it.
    However, even though we had less than average rainfall, the data shows that it was well within normal distribution for the area; no dust bowl conditions, no animals drying up in a baron wasteland, trees stayed green, rivers continued to run, most lakes (other than those managed by the corps with federal gov oversight) stayed pretty full. Even the beaver pond in the woods behind my house stayed full pool (maybe the federal bureaucrats could learn something from them). Listening to the news and the gubner one would have expected to see this if they ventured outside.

But it’s over (for now)… so we can move on to the next crisis to be exploited and sensationalized.

ps. Hope to see everyone tonight,… even you, Rugby 😉

18. Doug Deal says:

rugby,

Sadly, my needs for the third one are too powerful to overcome. Anyway, my face is beginning to turn blue. Any doctors out there know if that is healthy?