Rumors from the left.

Apparently Roy Barnes and his allies are quietly putting the screws to his opponents trying to get them to drop out. Barnes’ people are squeezing Thurbert Baker to run for Lt. Governor which of course would mess up Michael Thurmond’s rumored plan to jump into that race. Thurmond could instead run for US Senate against Isakson, but then again so could Baker.

Barnes’ people are also trying to convince DuBose Porter to return to the House. They claim that Barnes as Governor would make Porter the Minority Leader a very powerful man and a part of a team that could run the House. Of course if Porter chose to remain the House it would stop Calvin Smyre’s ascent to the Minority Leader position.

African-American politicians are now under intense pressure to support Barnes, even if they’re already signed on with other campaigns.

This is going to be a very interesting year and a half for political junkies.

1. drjay says:

well i bet ole vernon can’t be bossed…what kind of plan does he have for poythress?

also i googled that carl who? guy and he is intriguing–spent some time in the air force, is a high school teacher in addition to his mayoral duties, and is a published author, having written a book of poetry of all things–if everyone else gets out can he become a (semi)serious candidate?

2. Eh, not THAT interesting. If the Dems couldn’t ride Obama’s coattails enough to beat a halfway-disowned Republican doofus like Saxby, what are they supposed to do in an off-year election with lower turnout? There will be lots of primary infighting to gossip about on blogs… but it’s all just a race for the silver medal.

3. ChuckEaton says:

I’m not sure why Thrubert Baker would give up a very safe AG position to run against an incumbent for LG; it doesn’t make any sense.

4. AKA Progressive Dem says:

There will be blood on the walls when the combative Karen Handel finshes filleting the Ox and E. Johnson. Rocky Mountain oysters anyone?

5. Georgia Judge says:

I think both TB and MT are smart enough to stay away from the LG race,in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if MT just sits tight and defends his current position.

6. ready2rumble says:

AKA PD,
    Have you every looked up the definition of an Ox? Can’t get Rocky Mountain Oysters from one.

7. rugby says:

This story is pretty old, all this talk of Roy assembling a slate. Democrats aren’t known for their organization and we haven’t seen any real indications of a slate-like thing happening.

In short; I’ll believe it when I see it.

“I love it how the Democratic and Republican parties and their big wig power brokers see Elections and Voters as just minor inconveniences.”

8. fishtail says:

Buzz…exactly who are “Barnes’ people”? I never heard of his campaign manager (Chris Carpenter) before last week. The all-powerful Kahn is all-too busy to get involved in Barnes’ campaign. So who are Roy’s minions this time around?

9. Icarus says:

“So who are Roy’s minions this time around?”

Ox says they are all at the lib’ral AJC.

Ox said it. I believe it. That settles it.*

*shamelessly stolen from someone who posted that a week or so ago.

10. Jeff says:

Well, according to Ox (via his recent interview with The Beacon), most of us the post/comment here work for the editorial board of the AJC…

Q: Do you think anyone believes your acceptance of insurance company PAC campaign donations is based on a quid pro quo for favorable treatment from you?

OXENDINE: The only people in Georgia who believe that sit on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s editorial board.

11. Icarus says:

Well, I did apply to be a member of the AJC’s editorial board.

Sadly, I forgot to list Ox as a reference.

12. Romegaguy says:

I need to see if I can collect a check from the AJC for being on their editorial board

13. Harry says:

Barnes had better get a staff that’s 2/3 A-A, start attending ACORN meetings and learn how to community organize. Problem is he’s about as old as me, so I doubt he can handle it. He may make the playoffs, but that’s as far as it goes.

14. Yeah, OK, you need to stop proving you have no idea how politics and elections work.

I was thinking of you when I wrote my comment… 😉

15. SFrazier says:

It would make more sense if Thurbert Baker would run for the Senate against Isakson.
    As for the Ox, when we get some real polls I believe his negative ratings will be much higher than his positive ones. He is a conservtives worst nightmare.

16. Jeff says:

AMEN, Mr. Chairman!

Now back to cramming Insurance law/Ralph Hudgens’ voting record in preparation for meeting him in about 30 minutes. (Small campaign event at a supporter’s house.)

17. Blue Beard says:

Boy, Barnes sure has “changed.” And back with the typical attitude. “Masser is back in town, you blacks line up….u owe me.”

He’s going to be shocked at how they respond.

18. rugby says:

“How it works and how it should work is 2 different things. If I was for expediency over principle, I’d still be with you guys.”

You still don’t get it.

19. redrock says:

“All of the anti-Ox lemmings are coming out of the woodwork .
    Ox will not forget.”

Please tell me that is a joke. Seriously.

When Ox is unemployed next July (his insurance cronies will surely throw him a bone), I’m sure everyone will be so very concerned about how the “Ox will not forget” who was against him.

20. redrock says:

ready2rumble –

Touche. The second I hit submit I knew someone would catch me on that technicality. Thanks for pointing that out.

rugby –

Loud and proud AJC editorial board member. So let’s dissect what you are saying for a minute. John W. Oxendine “will not forget” who came out against him. What would be the purpose of those thoughts? Are you implying that Oxendine will remember who helped and who didn’t and “scratch backs” accordingly?

Sounds like there is a whole new level to this contribution fiasco. Maybe a little “pay-to-play” scenario? Maybe a little self interest appointment deal?

The AJC (my office according to rugby) will love this new development.

21. Dash Riptide says:

I now fear for the well-being of the entire AJC editorial board.

Forgive them, Ox, for they know not what they do.

22. rugby says:

The Ox is wise and benevelont beyond all comprehension, however, he will never forgive the grievous slights the AJC with its minions like redrock have levied against him.

Those are too injurious to ever forgive.

23. Dash Riptide says:

Then may Ox’s vengeance serve as a lesson for all, so that others may not have to suffer for their ignorance.