Rumors from the left.

June 9, 2009 10:59 am

by Buzz Brockway · 33 comments

Apparently Roy Barnes and his allies are quietly putting the screws to his opponents trying to get them to drop out. Barnes’ people are squeezing Thurbert Baker to run for Lt. Governor which of course would mess up Michael Thurmond’s rumored plan to jump into that race. Thurmond could instead run for US Senate against Isakson, but then again so could Baker.

Barnes’ people are also trying to convince DuBose Porter to return to the House. They claim that Barnes as Governor would make Porter the Minority Leader a very powerful man and a part of a team that could run the House. Of course if Porter chose to remain the House it would stop Calvin Smyre’s ascent to the Minority Leader position.

African-American politicians are now under intense pressure to support Barnes, even if they’re already signed on with other campaigns.

This is going to be a very interesting year and a half for political junkies.

ready2rumble June 9, 2009 at 11:03 am

I guess King Roy hasn’t changed that much.

drjay June 9, 2009 at 11:10 am

well i bet ole vernon can’t be bossed…what kind of plan does he have for poythress?

also i googled that carl who? guy and he is intriguing–spent some time in the air force, is a high school teacher in addition to his mayoral duties, and is a published author, having written a book of poetry of all things–if everyone else gets out can he become a (semi)serious candidate?

Steve Perkins June 9, 2009 at 11:49 am

Eh, not THAT interesting. If the Dems couldn’t ride Obama’s coattails enough to beat a halfway-disowned Republican doofus like Saxby, what are they supposed to do in an off-year election with lower turnout? There will be lots of primary infighting to gossip about on blogs… but it’s all just a race for the silver medal.

ChuckEaton June 9, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I’m not sure why Thrubert Baker would give up a very safe AG position to run against an incumbent for LG; it doesn’t make any sense.

Daniel N. Adams June 9, 2009 at 12:36 pm

AKA Progressive Dem June 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm

There will be blood on the walls when the combative Karen Handel finshes filleting the Ox and E. Johnson. Rocky Mountain oysters anyone?

Georgia Judge June 9, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I think both TB and MT are smart enough to stay away from the LG race,in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if MT just sits tight and defends his current position.

ready2rumble June 9, 2009 at 1:02 pm

AKA PD,
Have you every looked up the definition of an Ox? Can’t get Rocky Mountain Oysters from one.

tocallaghan June 9, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I don’t think Baker’s seat would be very safe with Olens running for it.

AKA Progressive Dem June 9, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Good point R2R.

Romegaguy June 9, 2009 at 2:34 pm

doubt there’s any truth to these

rugby June 9, 2009 at 2:36 pm

This story is pretty old, all this talk of Roy assembling a slate. Democrats aren’t known for their organization and we haven’t seen any real indications of a slate-like thing happening.

In short; I’ll believe it when I see it.

“I love it how the Democratic and Republican parties and their big wig power brokers see Elections and Voters as just minor inconveniences.”

Yeah, OK, you need to stop proving you have no idea how politics and elections work.

fishtail June 9, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Buzz…exactly who are “Barnes’ people”? I never heard of his campaign manager (Chris Carpenter) before last week. The all-powerful Kahn is all-too busy to get involved in Barnes’ campaign. So who are Roy’s minions this time around?

Icarus June 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm

“So who are Roy’s minions this time around?”

Ox says they are all at the lib’ral AJC.

Ox said it. I believe it. That settles it.*

*shamelessly stolen from someone who posted that a week or so ago.

rugby June 9, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Ox could never lie!

Jeff June 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Well, according to Ox (via his recent interview with The Beacon), most of us the post/comment here work for the editorial board of the AJC…

Q: Do you think anyone believes your acceptance of insurance company PAC campaign donations is based on a quid pro quo for favorable treatment from you?

OXENDINE: The only people in Georgia who believe that sit on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s editorial board.

Icarus June 9, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Well, I did apply to be a member of the AJC’s editorial board.

Sadly, I forgot to list Ox as a reference.

Romegaguy June 9, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I need to see if I can collect a check from the AJC for being on their editorial board

Buzz Brockway June 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm

fishtail,

If Barnes had no people, how the heck could he run for Governor?

rugby June 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm

All of the anti-Ox lemmings are coming out of the woodwork .

Ox will not forget.

Harry June 9, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Buzz,

Barnes had better get a staff that’s 2/3 A-A, start attending ACORN meetings and learn how to community organize. Problem is he’s about as old as me, so I doubt he can handle it. He may make the playoffs, but that’s as far as it goes.

Daniel N. Adams June 9, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Rugby,

I was thinking of you when I wrote my comment… ;-)

SFrazier June 9, 2009 at 5:19 pm

It would make more sense if Thurbert Baker would run for the Senate against Isakson.
As for the Ox, when we get some real polls I believe his negative ratings will be much higher than his positive ones. He is a conservtives worst nightmare.

Jeff June 9, 2009 at 5:26 pm

AMEN, Mr. Chairman!

Now back to cramming Insurance law/Ralph Hudgens’ voting record in preparation for meeting him in about 30 minutes. (Small campaign event at a supporter’s house.)

Blue Beard June 9, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Boy, Barnes sure has “changed.” And back with the typical attitude. “Masser is back in town, you blacks line up….u owe me.”

He’s going to be shocked at how they respond.

rugby June 10, 2009 at 7:44 am

“How it works and how it should work is 2 different things. If I was for expediency over principle, I’d still be with you guys.”

You still don’t get it.

redrock June 10, 2009 at 8:45 am

“All of the anti-Ox lemmings are coming out of the woodwork .
Ox will not forget.”

Please tell me that is a joke. Seriously.

When Ox is unemployed next July (his insurance cronies will surely throw him a bone), I’m sure everyone will be so very concerned about how the “Ox will not forget” who was against him.

Laughable.

rugby June 10, 2009 at 8:54 am

Good to know redrock works with the AJC.

ready2rumble June 10, 2009 at 9:01 am

Ox will not be out of a job until 1/11, when the next insurance comm gets swore in

redrock June 10, 2009 at 9:19 am

ready2rumble –

Touche. The second I hit submit I knew someone would catch me on that technicality. Thanks for pointing that out.

rugby –

Loud and proud AJC editorial board member. So let’s dissect what you are saying for a minute. John W. Oxendine “will not forget” who came out against him. What would be the purpose of those thoughts? Are you implying that Oxendine will remember who helped and who didn’t and “scratch backs” accordingly?

Sounds like there is a whole new level to this contribution fiasco. Maybe a little “pay-to-play” scenario? Maybe a little self interest appointment deal?

The AJC (my office according to rugby) will love this new development.

Thanks!

Dash Riptide June 10, 2009 at 9:25 am

I now fear for the well-being of the entire AJC editorial board.

Forgive them, Ox, for they know not what they do.

rugby June 10, 2009 at 9:41 am

The Ox is wise and benevelont beyond all comprehension, however, he will never forgive the grievous slights the AJC with its minions like redrock have levied against him.

Those are too injurious to ever forgive.

Dash Riptide June 10, 2009 at 9:50 am

Then may Ox’s vengeance serve as a lesson for all, so that others may not have to suffer for their ignorance.

Comments on this entry are closed.