Paging Dubose Porter and Glen Richardson and Robert Brown and Casey Cagle

March 26, 2009 9:00 am

by Erick · 17 comments

Fellas, let me be honest with you.

Dubose, you aren’t too enamored with Jane Kidd right now. Heck, even a lot of my Democrat friends who supported her are rather disappointed in.

And Glen, you know Sue is a fine lady, but she’s not on the A-Team and we need A-Team in 2010. Kathy Cox is going to be an anchor on the ticket. The primary will be bloody. You aren’t in danger of losing the House, at least right now it looks that way, but you know the entire state wide GOP leadership could be up a creek without a paddle.

Casey and Robert, you guys are in the same boat.

The women in charge of the parties aren’t really performing as A-Team members preparing to bring their A-game for victory. It has nothing to do with their gender. It does have to do with their management styles.

Both are fine people. Both get the grassroots. But neither have a great grasp of the management details necessary to run a winning professional party operation. On the GOP side alone, you’d think with half the guys operating RedState.com living in the state and the kick ass team at Stoneridge in Atlanta, the GOP would have some sort of stellar online operation. We don’t.

Here’s my suggestion. You’ve got a few days left in the session. Right now, under Georgia law, the legislative caucuses have to run their money through the state parties. Why don’t you change the law and allow the Republican Caucus in the General Assembly and the Democrat Caucus in the General Assembly to set up their own independent party operations so the House and Senate leaders can bypass the state party apparatus to get members elected.

Hell, it’d help the parties too. It would free them up to focus more on statewide offices and building local party organizations. Plus, it would give you guys more control of the money.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Icarus March 26, 2009 at 9:04 am

“The women in charge of the parties aren’t really performing as A-Team members preparing to bring their A-game for victory.”

I’m just going to go WAY out on a limb here, and predict that you’re really, really going to wish you hadn’t phrased this sentence that way.

griftdrift March 26, 2009 at 9:05 am

Get thee back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich!

Harry March 26, 2009 at 9:48 am

Speaking of the money…why is the GaAOP still using those out of state (un)professional telemarketers? They call me on my cellphone, which I don’t appreciate. I would never give money through them, because they presumably take a high percentage. Is the state of play such that we really have to depend on these folks? Maybe the state and county organizations could work together to develop a revenue sharing system involving local people calling up local people for contributions, with some public recognition given to volunteers for successfully meeting goals. But what do I know.

Bill Simon March 26, 2009 at 11:00 am

Erick,

I find it fascinating that you talk about “A-Team” stuff, but when it came to the “F-Team” policies of the effed-up Bush regime, you and Red State were complacent to sit on your collective asses and play like you were Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity in backing-up EVERYTHING that came out of the Bush Adminsitration and the GOP-led Congress for 2005-2006.

Erick, I’m here to tell you: You have ZERO credibility when it comes to being able to recognize what “A-Team” is, and what “F-Team” is.

Your previous post some weeks back about your “awe-inspiring” visit to the dinner with Dick Cheney proves to me (and, quite a few others) that the only “conservative” branding you own is the “neo-conservative brand.” And, that brand is not in demand too much right now.

drjay March 26, 2009 at 11:01 am

so a state version of the senate and congressional campaign cttes.

also the gop is electing officers in may–has there been any noise about someone stepping up and running for chair–or is this sort of talk just an academic exercise?

Bull Moose March 26, 2009 at 11:45 am

Erick has a very valid point here in that the creation of independent campaign organizations by the House and Senate caucuses of both parties would free up the parties to focus on building up the backbone of the organizations – volunteer training, precinct development, next tier elected official outreach, and improved communications.

Bill Simon March 26, 2009 at 11:53 am

Bull,

Then he should have made that point w/o bringing-in his obviously pointed feelings about the “women leaders” of the GOP.

Erick March 26, 2009 at 11:55 am

Bill, they are both women. I figured pointing it out would get somebody’s panties in a wad just for the heck of it. Didn’t realize you wore panties.

fishtail March 26, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Both the GOP and Democratic partys could be successfully commandeered by the appropriate caucuses if they chose to go to the trouble. It takes time and organization and determination. The party big-shots are in it for their own ego gratification, for the most part, in my opinion. The political party exists solely to feed their big egos. Helping elect their fellow party members is just a mere nuisance.

Bull Moose March 26, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I think you’re being a little too PC Bill… Erick wasn’t calling them weak because they are women, he was pointing out that they are in fact both women.

If primaries are good for the strength of the party, then why aren’t we seeing primaries for party leadership of both organizations? That’s what I’m curious about!

A good debate about the direction of the modern political party would be both healthy and productive for both organizations and would cause more people to pay attention and be involved. That’s not a position against either party leader, but a mere reality that we need to reengage the citizenry in the political process or else the parties become even further obsolete and removed from the voting public.

I’d be interested in hearing thoughts on that from the punditry class here…

bluemcduff March 26, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I like this idea in that it decentralizes the leadership and gives ordinary voters a greater stake in the parties.

The other nice thing about having an independent organization for each party is that it would blunt the effect of lobbyists on the legislature as well as getting candidates from the bottom up instead of the top down.

Bill Simon March 26, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Erick,

Can’t wait to see how your BIG effort to make Red Staters some kind of “political force” in Georgia goes.

Bill Simon March 26, 2009 at 6:52 pm

How so? It will actually increase the effect of lobbyists because they will be able to throw money at more points.

bluemcduff March 26, 2009 at 8:30 pm

That’s how it’s supposed to work in theory, anyway.

Bill, there may be more points to throw money at but I’m of the opinion it’s harder to get control of say 100 people in many places instead of 10 or so in one.

I contend that lobbyists can wield the same degree of influence over the independent group but they’ll have to expend more resources to do so and the fact that the lobbyists don’t have the manpower or money to do so–thereby curbing their reach.

Icarus March 27, 2009 at 10:18 am
Bill Simon March 27, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I think Erick is, truly, on dope. He writes in his column titled “Why I do what I do” that he fancies himself to be someone who “speaks-up” when others don’t. Riiiiiight. He spoke-up so much about what the neo-cons with the Bush Administration were doing for so many years.

Hey, maybe Erick is really the brains behind The Political Vine.

RE: http://www.macon.com/203/story/663371.html

Making Sense March 27, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I think that a debate about the role and value of political parties would be interesting, especially as you are seeing efforts on so many levels to make local races non-partisan.

Comments on this entry are closed.