Dear Kathy Cox

March 26, 2009 6:00 am

by Erick · 13 comments

You haven’t really been a great Superintendent of Schools. Seriously. What have you done that we can be proud of other than winning some money on a game show?

Then there’s the bankruptcy matter. Sure, you and your husband fell on tough times. But you have a bank out there accusing you of fraud. Remember Linda? Yeah, the GOP’s track record with school superintendents isn’t good.

Kathy, we’ve supported you for a while now. But your career is in sunset. You have no major accomplishments, but a lot of controversy. It’s time, Kathy. You need to announce you will not run again.

And if you do run again, for the sake of the GOP, someone needs to primary you and knock you out.

You’re a good person. That doesn’t mean you can or should run for office again.

Can someone hold an intervention?

Dark Knight Begins March 26, 2009 at 6:53 am

Interesting the difference 4 yrs can make in a person’s viewpoints.

4 yrs ago, I could not have DISagreed more with David Chastain (the then-LP-Ga nominee for Superintendent)

Based on what I remember of his campaign then and what I know of general LP feelings on education now, I could not agree more with them!

I have no idea who LP-Ga will run in this race, or even IF they will run anyone.

But I sure hope they do, and whoever it is will have at least one vote in the Albany area.

Dark Knight Begins March 26, 2009 at 7:00 am

Oh, and an add on to my last, before ppl try to blast me for being hyper-partisan:

I HIGHLY doubt whoever the GAGOP or DPG runs will run on the ideas that the Department of Education should be abolished and that local communities should have supreme authority on any and all education matters in their communities, or even go further (and I don’t know if even an LP-Ga candidate would go this far) and say that PARENTS should be the supreme authority in the education of their own kids.

Those are my own personal feelings in the area, and I say that even as a former teacher myself and even though my wife is a current teacher and could not disagree with me more on this issue.

Because, as noted, I HIGHLY doubt a GAGOP or DPG candidate will share these feelings, and the LP-Ga candidate would probably be at least in the same vein, if not actually agreeing with me, it is HIGHLY unlikely that I could possibly support anyone other than an LP-Ga candidate in this race.

North Ga Indy March 26, 2009 at 7:09 am

Dark Knight, I agree with you and I’m supporting the Libertarian in this race, whoever that may be. I supported Chastain in 2006 based on his stance on Charter Schools. I believe that we need to invest more in Charter Schools statewide. Charter Schools are fundamental to our Education System. I was willing to be sold on Cox in 2002, but never again was I sold on her as I believe that she has done more to wreck our Education System. I encourage anybody who is fed up with Cox to vote Libertarian.

Howard Roark March 26, 2009 at 7:15 am

Cathy Cox spent millions of dollars in her run for governor building name recognition for Kathy Cox, State School Superintendent. Can she be beat, Yes She Can but it will be tough row to hoe.

Dantes March 26, 2009 at 7:31 am

Even if you look past the embarrassments of bankruptcy, fraud, and that ridiculous Smarter than a Fifth Grader stunt, there is also the issue of not being able to properly administer standardized tests. The CRCT scores I seem to recall being a issue.

Basic administrative competency is even more of a problem than these other stones around her neck.

We don’t need another Katrina around the GOP’s neck.

Rogue109 March 26, 2009 at 8:12 am

My God! Erick wants Kathy Cox to FAIL! HE WANTS HER TO FAIL!

Andre, where is your indignation?!?!!? How can you let this slide?

rugby March 26, 2009 at 8:31 am

Rogue:

No he doesn’t.

You should try reading the post.

Chris March 26, 2009 at 8:52 am

Four words: “Biological Changes Over Time”

Cox has to go. John Konop for School Superintendent!

Dark Knight Begins March 26, 2009 at 9:06 am

Chris:

‘Biological Changes Over Time’ expresses evolution without getting embroiled in the Origins of Life debate.

As such, it was actually a SMART move.

As is, the primary debate over evolution isn’t so much one type of bird becoming another type of bird, but the Origins of Life ideas that men came from monkeys and that everything came from primordial ooze.

Strip the Origins of Life debate from the idea, and you have little/no more controversy.

But hey, I don’t want to get INVOLVED in the Life debate here, just looking at it from a tactical perspective

griftdrift March 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

Smart move excepting that it made us by proxy look like idiots.

bowersville March 26, 2009 at 7:11 pm

It would be wise to look at what Howard Roark said about NE Georgia.

John Konop March 26, 2009 at 7:37 pm

The real issue for The GOP is her failed education policy will be thrust on statewide candidates especially for whoever runs for Governor.

She is dream for the Democrats. After her failed math 123 roll-out she gives out waivers for students like coupons in the newspaper. And than the drop out rate spirals out of control, a questionable ethical behavior on her trust pre-bankruptcy post winning a million dollars, lack of coordination between test and curriculum for via social studies creating a 70% failure rate………

Barnes will ride this issue all the way to the Governor’s office unless the GOP comes out with a real plan and tells Kathy Cox to find a new job.

I will tell you I am overwhelmed by very mad soccer mom’s every time I blast an essay on my e-mail list about Kathy Cox. The following are an example majority of letters, calls and personal comments I get when I talk to people about Kathy Cox.

mouth Says:
March 8th, 2007 at 3:19 pm e

Thank you John Konop I am sending this e-mail to everyone I know. I am also going to call Kathy Cox ASAP!

DTS Says:
March 8th, 2007 at 3:22 pm e

Kathy Cox is lost in her job. No wonder we are near the bottom in education.

Cobb Math Teacher Says:
March 8th, 2007 at 8:17 pm e

As a teacher I will tell you the plan will fail. Mr. Konop is right, we must look at the students and match the right program and not force students to fail.
This is the problem, ask anyone of us.

Bob Says:
March 8th, 2007 at 8:21 pm e

I thought the GOP is for local control? I think Kathy is in the wrong Party.

Teresa Says:
March 10th, 2007 at 7:29 am e

Amanda,
What interesting information! Did they have Math I,II, III all across the state or just in one school district?

I’ve been a math teacher in Georgia for 12 yrs. This is a travesty, an outrage and our kids deserve a REAL education. This is NOT a REAL math program.

ON THE MOVE Says:

March 10th, 2007 at 7:39 am e

I’m an engineer in the state of Georgia. However, after doing more research about your article here, I will start my job search on Monday. There is no way on the face of this earth that I will educate my kids here. I’m glad there are rich folks that can afford for their kids to go to private school. I can’t. More power to kids that are homeschooled, I guess. Personally, I want my kids to be in a real world situation and being prepared to live in a real world with real differences in ideas and personalities and the like. I believe in public education.
I am moving out of this state. I won’t stick around for them to decide after ten years of using my three kids as guinea pigs that their idea was a miserable failure!!

Bill Simon March 26, 2009 at 7:49 pm

“look like idiots”? Remove “look like”….

Comments on this entry are closed.