Georgia Senate Says, “Tell The Truth!”

March 12, 2009 12:38 pm

by Andre · 8 comments

Senate Bill 7, the legislation authored by Augusta Democrat Ed Tarver passed out of the Georgia Senate today with little fanfare.

Only one Senator, Don Balfour (R – Snellville), voted against the measure.

According to Tarver, the “Truth in Testimony Act” gives the chair of a committee or sub-committee the discretion to administer an oath affirming the testimony an individual gives is true. The bill also allows for sworn testimony to be recorded.

State Sen. Seth Harp (R – Midland) called it a “sad day” when the Senate has to pass legislation mandating truth telling in front of legislative panels.

“I’m sorry to say that [truth telling] is not happening a lot,” Harp said during the short debate of the bill. [We're] going to tell these people that if you come before these committees, you’re going to tell the truth.”

SB7 cleared the Senate by committee substitute and now heads over to the House for its consideration.

griftdrift March 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Irony

Anonymole March 12, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Great, now call every member of the House and Senate before the Ethics Committee and ask them if the are current on their taxes.

VeryFast March 12, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I agree

FacingTheSharks March 12, 2009 at 1:35 pm

lol @ Anonymole.

Ask them also how much money they made by passing the bail out and stimulus bill. I’m convinced they had a financial stake in the social agenda and the corporations that got the money.

Senator Chambliss’ staff admits to having a financial stake in a contractor at Robins AFB. Follow the money. Marshall, Chambliss, Kingston, Isakson…they all get money from the corporations, their lawyers and lobbyists.

These people don’t have to tell the truth. Bills are passed without them reading them. And Americans stand by and do nothing. There is no accountability in government because king can do no wrong.

I watch as senators and other politicians are FINALLY getting arrested and investigated. I have asked for the investigation of certain Georgia politicians and Federal agents have requested my documentation and evidence. I GLADLY turned it over.

I hope Georgia politicians are next to hit the news with their backscratching deals at Robins AFB with the contractors and lobbyists.

There is no truth in Congress. Just money and sweetheart deals.

joe March 12, 2009 at 3:25 pm

So if I go before a legislative panel, I have to tell them the truth even though they seldom tell me the truth? Doesn’t sound fair.

Dash Riptide March 12, 2009 at 3:34 pm

You can’t handle the truth.

Romegaguy March 12, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I like how they didnt think it important for the legislators to swear to tell the truth

jenny March 14, 2009 at 2:04 am

Were was all this truth telling when SB31 was being batted around…..just curious.

Comments on this entry are closed.