Doug MacGinnitie Enters the SoS Race

March 5, 2009 14:54 pm

by Clayton · 33 comments

Doug MacGinnitie, who ‘made it official’ with his filing last month, enters the SoS race with this press release:

Doug MacGinnitie Files Paperwork to Run for Secretary of State

Sandy Springs, GA – - March 4, 2009 – - Doug MacGinnitie, currently a member of the Sandy Springs City Council, is the first Republican to officially file with the State Ethics Commission as a candidate for Georgia Secretary of State in 2010.

In addition to his experience on the Sandy Springs City Council, MacGinnitie has been a successful entrepreneur and attorney for some of Georgia’s most prominent businesses.
“After much prayer and consultation with family and friends, I have decided to legally start my campaign for Secretary of State,” said MacGinnitie. “Under Karen Handel’s leadership, we’ve seen tremendous reform and progress in the office of Secretary of State. I plan to build on that momentum, applying my conservative principles and private sector experience to state government.“

MacGinnitie co-founded and served as Chief Operating Officer for Beecher Carlson, a commercial insurance brokerage firm based in Atlanta. He is a graduate of Emory Law School, worked as an associate at Alston & Bird, was Chief Counsel for Georgia-Pacific, and served as General Counsel for Hobbs Group.

“Many Georgians know how important the Secretary of State’s office is to ensuring fair elections, but many don’t know that the office touches every large and small business in our state. In these tough economic times, we must work even harder to ensure the Secretary of State’s office is efficient and business-friendly so our state can continue to attract economic development and create jobs,” said MacGinnitie.

Doug attended elementary and high school in DeKalb County, Georgia. He and his wife, Missy, have three children and are members of Dunwoody United Methodist Church.

Contact: Brandon Phillips
Email: [email protected]
Telephone Number: 770.350.6222
Email Address: [email protected]
Website: http://www.macginnitie.org

Mike Hauncho March 5, 2009 at 2:57 pm

While Doug is a bit of an unknown candidate, once you meet him and hear his plan you will quickly learn that he is a great candidate for SOS. I hope all of you will consider him in 2010. Good luck Doug.

Big Dawg March 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Its nice to see that Mr. MacGinnitie reacting to Brian Kemp. You don’t win races by reacting to what your opponent does. Should be an easy win for Brian Kemp.

Ron2008 March 5, 2009 at 3:12 pm

sounds like Ralph Reed all over again.

According to the press release MacGinnitie filed paperwork over a month ago so wouldn’t Brian be reacting to Doug?

JSBarrington March 5, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Not only is he reacting to Brian Kemp. It appears that he copied and pasted some of kemp’s release. But hey, I guess it’s understandable. Hard going from the city council to SOS.

Part-Time Atlanta March 5, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I friend of mine from St. Marys said some guy was campaigning pretty hard down there a week or so ago. He told me his name but I can’t remember. I know it wasn’t Kemp I would have remembered that. It could have been Doug. How many other people have had paperworked filed for a while, have been campaigning, but we haven’t heard of yet. If anybody has any details of other candidates coming to their area let us know.

Big Dawg March 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Ron, yes it does sound like Ralph Reed all over again.

I think his staffer that is the contact on the press release worked for Reed if my memory serves me right. Like I said already, off to a bad start.

drjay March 5, 2009 at 3:30 pm

how does it sound like reed all over again?

and didn’t the current sos go from county commission to that office?

just saying…

Ron2008 March 5, 2009 at 3:30 pm

My reference to Reed was that in 2005 everyone was saying he had already won with his big list of endorsements. No one was even giving the little known state senator a chance. We all know how that turned out.

Part-Time Atlanta March 5, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I noticed that even though most of the senators had endorsed Kemp only a small percentage of the reps did. I would imagine it’s not because Kemp didn’t ask for their endorsement. Did they just not want to support him or is there a state rep getting into the race too?

drjay March 5, 2009 at 3:43 pm

i believe the “state rep” rumor awhile back was jeff lewis–don’t know if that’s still out there…

atlantaman March 5, 2009 at 3:50 pm

The current SOS went from being the County Chair of the largest county in the state, which is not the same as a city council person.

Buddy March 5, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I did not support Kemp last time but I met him and think he is a good guy. Personally I think this is going to be a tough race because I am sure a few more Republicans are going to jump in. I do not know Doug and have nothing against him but it is going to be an uphill battle for him.

drjay March 5, 2009 at 3:58 pm

my brief perusal of the macinnitie story leads me to believe he plans to draw on the depth and breadth of his corporate experience as much if not more than his “gov’t” experience in his quest for this post but whatever–to each his own

debbie0040 March 5, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Brandon Phillips also served as Executive Director of the Fulton County GOP and did a great job during the campaign last year..

bottomline March 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I know you are not talking about when Brandon worked on Ralph Reed’s campaign. You don’t want to go there.

Part-Time Atlanta March 5, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Yeah, I would think that there will probably be 3 or 4 running in the primary for this seat before its all said and done. The same goes for any other open seat.

Ron2008 March 5, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I suspect there will be more then 3 or 4. It seems like everyone who has an R next to there name is going to run for some kind of statewide position.

Part-Time Atlanta March 5, 2009 at 4:24 pm

When these guys say they’ve “filed paperwork” is that a public record that is searchable online?

North Ga Indy March 5, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Then I guess I’m running for Congress in 2010! ;-)

CapitalistPig March 5, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I’ve met Doug before and he strikes me as a really compelling candidate. Does well on the campaign trail, too. At least he did when I used to go to his events in Fulton.

Part-Time Atlanta March 5, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I did a little research and was able to answer my own question. The Georgia ethics site has a list of people who have filed to run for SoS. I assume several of them are past candidates. That’s a lot of names. Here’s the link.

drjay March 5, 2009 at 4:55 pm

that list appears to be from the 06 race…

I Am Jacks Post March 5, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Brilliant tactical move. File in February, sit on the news for almost a month, and then dump your press release the day after another candidate announces his candidacy.

The 30 day delay must have been orchestrated in order to give them time to order and receive MacGinnitie for SOS ink pens and nail files.

JSBarrington March 5, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Jacks Post, you are right. Its pure political genious.I mean they really deserve a pat on the back. Any campaign that’s run with this kind of brilliant strategy will have numerous political goodies. I’m thinking more along the line of fans, pocket protectors, and some fine jellies with the Miginnitie SOS logo on them. Its going to be fantastic.

JSBarrington March 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Oh and don’t forget the balloons and candy for the kids!

SOS will fit well in this campaign.

Making Sense March 5, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Joel can chew up and spit Brandon and his candidate out as a morning snack and never blink an eye…

JSBarrington March 5, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Haha.He can. And he will.

Sandy Springs Conservative March 5, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Doug is a good man and a good candidate for Secretary of State. This will be an exciting primary race.

Roberson March 5, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I’m probably considered a Kemp fan but have to say that Brandon is a good guy. He’s put in the time and seems to be in it for the right reasons.

CapitalistPig March 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Who got in when won’t even be an issue come next November. I like how people are already trying to call this race after two press releases.

Tony Simon is consulting for Doug, not Phillips. Joel is a big guy, but he won’t chew up Tony.

SOUTHERN BREEZE March 6, 2009 at 7:06 am

And the winners are….Cagle, Shafer and Kemp

bottomline March 6, 2009 at 11:24 am

Joel vs. Tony. Tony will need a poinst spread to make it even. Joel loves a good challenge. But the truth is both the candidate and the pitchman keeps this race from being anything but lopsided. I will go with Joel.

COBBERGOP March 7, 2009 at 10:27 am

While so many of you are critical of Doug because he’s a City Councilman, and he annonced the day after Kemp……WE’RE ALL TALKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! As for Brandon, I met him at some Fulton events too. I’ve never been to county events that had hundreds of people at them on a weekly basis last Fall. Not to mention they have a better HQ then any county org I’ve ever seen. If he had anything at all to do with Fulton last year people better start taking Doug a bit more serious

Comments on this entry are closed.