Is Kingston In for Governor?

I’m hearing that Jack Kingston has had conversations with people suggesting he may run for Governor.

That’d be interesting. Leaving his congressional seat would free up that spot for Eric Johnson, who could transition his campaign easily from Lt. Governor to Congress.

It’d also potentially make it likely that we could forgo at least one bloody primary.

Now if we could weed out some people in the Governor’s race.

UPDATE: I asked a Kingston staffer for comment and got this reply:

He’s not actively campaigning for anything – right now, Jack’s biggest priority is representing the people of Georgia in Congress and making sure that their voices are heard in crafting the ‘stimulus’ and in the upcoming omnibus negotiations.

Looks like a yes to me. heh.

1. Icarus says:

Weed them out?

You’re probably the one guy that doesn’t actually slow down to take a look at a good train wreck.

2. Icarus says:

Actually, I just thought of something,

If Johnson “transitions” to a congressional race, that means there’s going to be another check return party. I hear they’re a lot of fun.

3. bullochGOP says:

I wish Jack Kingston would hold out and run against Johnny Isakson. I know Isakson can draw the Atlanta area, but I think Kingston’s record in the House has been very impressive and could do well against him.

4. Kingston is a decent choice. There are only 3 GA-GOV candidates that would do a good job, they are Cagle, Oxendine, and possibly even Kingston. I’ll vote Kingston if he is nominated, but if Handel, Scott, or McBerry are nominated, then I’m voting for Porter, Poythress, or a Libertarian.

5. Mountain Republican says:

Kingston is a good guy, but I’m not sure if we need someone from Washington to come fix Georgia. Kingston would definitely go into the race in front of Oxendine, but I’m not sure that he would be able to match Handel or Cagle in a statewide race.

6. drjay says:

this particular rumor has been around for awhile actually–i thought it had died down recently–and i know strictly speaking it dos not matter but EJ actually moved to the 12th a few years ago–also even if all this went down i doubt the field would be cleared for anyone for an open congressional seat

7. Jane says:

My prediction if Kingston runs for Gov, Garry Wissenbacker for Congress, and Eric Johnson still runs for Lt. Gov.

8. Bull Moose says:

Given the extended nature of the legislative session, it certainly has had to have an affect on plans for 2010. That said I am not surprised to hear that Jack is thinking about running for Governor, life in the House minority has to be almost pointless so why would a smart and talented politician want to waste time there?

9. drjay says:

while i certainly would ot be surprised to see wisenbaker run for office again some day–his running to succeed jack would surprise me…

10. Bull Moose says:

If Jack did run, Eric could move back into the first to run. Other contenders might include Rep. Jerry Keen or Sen. Tommie Williams.

11. DoubleDawg3 says:

Wow, I’d love to see Kingston run…and I imagine that Kingston GOV bid would lead to a EJ bid for Congress, bet Jerry Keen would also take a shot at it…doubt that both EJ & Tommie Williams would go for it against one another.

12. slyram says:

I like that….Jack Kingston is a real guy. I was friends some of his D.C. staff and he was cooler to other delegation Democrat staffers than a “congress sista” who will remain nameless. (ran for president)

If Jack runs for governor, maybe Austin Scott from my area of south Georgia would consider running for congress against Jim Marshall.

Lt. Col. Sheppie that was a good one. But what about Teresa Heinz Kerry at the DNC Convention referring to herself as a “Continental African.” Huh What’s that, a brother who drives a Mark VIII.

13. debbie0040 says:

Kingston might be well known in his district and with political junkies, but he does not have name recognition statewide with the average voter. I asked my hubby what he thought about Jack Kingston getting in the race for Governor and his response was who is he?

14. Bill Simon says:

Nobody outside of Hall County really knew who Casey Cagle was either before he ran for Lt. Governor. Few people outside of Fulton County knew who Karen Handel was before she ran for Secretary of State.

“Statewide name recognition” is something that is built during a campaign. Your field test of Kingston’s name with your hubby is irrelevant to Kingston’s viability to run for a statewide seat.

15. Chris says:

Jack “I’m proud I whored myself at the pork trough” Kingston?

Dear God No! Its bad enough we have that fat slobbering fool wasting money on boat ramps. Kingston would bankrupt us in 6 months.

16. Georgia Judge says:

I doubt Jack will run for Governor.He is much too smart to think he would have any chance in the world of winning.Not to mention that folks tell me Cagle has a large grassroots following on the coast, and has the coastal fundraising machine solidly behind him.
    I like Jack but I dont think he could win,but you never know………..

17. Bill Simon says:

How about voting for Ray McBerry, Jason? Red says he’s THE most conservative candidate…if, that is, you equate “conservative” with Civil War rhetoric conservatism.