Gingrey Releases Statement Regarding Politico Article

The following is Cong. Phil Gingrey’s response to yesterday’s article in the Politico, which was linked here, on the Drudge Report, AJC Political Insider and will no doubt be a topic of discussion on Rush’s show today.

Congressman Phil Gingrey, MD (R-GA) made the following statement in response to an article that ran in Politico Newspaper about comments he made regarding conservative commentator, Rush Limbaugh and the Republican Leadership:

Because of the high volume of phone calls and correspondence received by my office since the Politico article ran, I wanted to take a moment to speak directly to grassroots conservatives.  Let me assure you, I am one of you.  I believe I was sent to Washington to fight for and defend our traditional values of smaller government, lower taxes, a strong national defense, and the lives of the unborn.  In my six years in Washington, I have led the charge on many of these issues.  In fact, in 2008 The National Journal ranked me the #1 most conservative Member of the House of Representatives.

As long as I am in the Congress, I will continue to fight for and defend our sacred values.  I have actively opposed every bailout, every rebate check, every so called “stimulus.”  And on so many of these things, I see eye-to-eye with Rush Limbaugh.  Regardless of what yesterday’s headline may have read, I never told Rush to back off. I regret and apologize for the fact that my comments have offended and upset my fellow conservatives—that was not my intent.  I am also sorry to see that my comments in defense of our Republican Leadership read much harsher than they actually were intended, but I recognize it is my responsibility to clarify my own comments.

Now more than ever, we need to articulate a clear conservative message that distinguishes our values and our approach from those of liberal democrats who are seeking to move our nation in the wrong direction. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Newt Gingrich, and other conservative giants are the voices of the conservative movement’s conscience.  Everyday, millions and millions of Americans—myself included—turn on their radios and televisions to listen to what they have to say, and we are inspired by their words and by their determination.

At the end of the day, every member of the conservative movement, from our political commentators and thinkers to our elected officials, share an important and common purpose in advancing the cause of liberty, reigning in a bloated federal government, and defending our traditional family values.

Now we can go back to accusing him of pandering to the conservative base.

There is a huge difference between what Barack Obama said about Rush and what Phil Gingrey said about Rush.

Obama will use his Presidency to silence folks like Rush and Sean and anyone who speaks out against him under the guise of commerce and “public benefit.”

That is the real threat to conservative talk radio and attacking those who are on our side in that battle, like Phil Gingrey, is continuing to circle the waggons and shoot inward.

This is probably the goal of liberal media outlets like Politico. All you have to do is see the pictures of Rush they ran with the article yesterday (which now have been taken off the page with the article) to see their obvious bias.

1. bowersville says:

The DCCC (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) has launched an online petition to vent against Rush Limbaugh.

Brent Bozell at Media Research Center is saying that the attack on conservative talk radio has begun. Bozell says that Obama is setting the stage for the Fairness Doctrine.

I got this info from the evil website of Boortz.com

2. bowersville says:

aaaahhh what makes you not question the accuracy of the article when the idiot at politco mistook Gingrey for Price and initially attributed the statements to Price?

3. bowersville says:

Who doesn’t confuse them? Surely not our blessed unquestioned truth tellers, the never mistaken accurate media can never mistake them. The media is to be believed, bar none wouldn’t you say?

4. Bill Simon says:

Grift,

Of course it’s the media. If it wasn’t for anyone telling us what’s going on, we wouldn’t know. WHO decides its their duty to tell us what’s going on? The Media, of course.

Not really that far of a stretch. Not at all.

5. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

All of this is just designed to silence any opposition to the One.

Have you not realized that resistance is futile? The One said he won, so we all just need to stop criticizing him and get on board.

6. rugby says:

“Bozell says that Obama is setting the stage for the Fairness Doctrine.

I got this info from the evil website of Boortz.com”

And repeatedly, Pelosi, Reid, Obama, et al, have said “THERE WILL BE NO FAIRNESS DOCTRINE INTRODUCED.”

Here is your history lesson for the day, the original Fairness Doctrine helped pave the way for what?

The answer: conservative talk radio.

7. rugby says:

“The One said he won, so we all just need to stop criticizing him and get on board.”

Reminds me of a period in time about, eight years ago.

8. My kin folks call me Nick says:

Rush is an idiot!. I am disappointed in my congressman today. Maybe if someone stood up for what they believed they wouldn’t look so small.

9. c_murrayiii says:

I’ve met Gingrey a few times, and even had an interview for a job with him in DC, and I find him to be a really good guy, who I think generally believes he is doing the best he can for the people of his district and this state. I don’t know why he would jump to defend the leadership so quickly when they have clearly been out of touch, but he probably figured it would be the best in the long run for advancing the wishes of his constituents.

10. shep1975 says:

Of course Obama, Reid and Pelosi will not call it the “Fairness Doctrine.” It’s like the fact they now call themselves “progressive” instead of “liberal.” It will have a different name, but it will be introduced.

Really, the FCC can under it’s rulemaking powers come up with something like the Fairness Doctrine and none of the unholy trinity of the (House) Mother, the One, and Harry Spirit will have introduced anything.