Handel, Everhart and GOP Women.

Jim Galloway has an interesting post in the Political Insider about Karen Handel, Sue Everhart and GOP Women. It’s definitely worth a read.

I know Sue Everhart has received criticism on this site, but setting aside the merits of that criticism I frankly would be surprised if someone challenges her for GOP Chairman. If someone does challenger her, I highly doubt they would be successful. Why? Republican women overwhelmingly support Everhart, and they won’t sit by and watch her be defeated. As Galloway reports:

But there was also a Georgia-specific incident last month that still has GOP women steamed.

U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss had just won his run-off election, trouncing Democrat Jim Martin. But during the celebration, state GOP chairman Sue Everhart — the party’s first female leader — was barred from the stage where congratulations were being handed out. And Everhart had written the check for the stage.

The Chambliss campaign said the slight was unintentional and apologized profusely. But many Republican women saw the gaffe as just another example of their envelope-stuffing status.

Bettye Chambers, a long-time Gwinnett activist, wrote a blistering e-mail that traveled up and down the ranks of GOP volunteers, which trend heavily female, denouncing what she called the “blight” on Chambliss’ victory. “We are past the era of just sitting silently and not taking a stand,” she said afterwards.

Several GOP women I’ve talked to feel the same way Chambers does. Which leads us to another high-profile Republican woman: With Karen Handel getting in the race for Governor, will GOP women give her the same devotion they’ve given Everhart? My guess is they will. Cagle and Oxendine better figure out how to deal with it or they’re in trouble.

1. Reagan Revolution says:

Buzz, you might be right, but I’m not sure that it will be that simple. Both are women, so that could happen. The thing with Sue, however, was that Sue was deliberately prevented from entering the stage where she should have been by Chambliss’ campaign manager. Prior to even becoming the Chair, Governor Perdue and lots of the other gold ole boys’ didn’t cooperated with her until all other options had failed.

In Handel’s case, however, everyone knows that Perdue will be backing here strongly, whether in public or not. Many of the same people blocking Sue at every direction will suddenly part of Handel’s team. Many of his contacts will be openly working for her and using Perdue’s network.

I hope members of our Georgia Federation of Republican Women is not so naive as to fall into the trap of simply voting for a woman and thus allow the same people that have deliberately blocked Sue to stay in power behind the scenes of a Handel administration.

2. Bill Simon says:

I hope Erick decides to run for state chairman. He can hire Rick Goddard’s consultants and they can all bitch about how the fault of Goddard’s loss (even in his own counties where he was very well known) is ALL Sue and the state GOP’s fault.

Noooo..blame it all on Sue Everhart, Mr. Bennecke.

3. Making Sense says:

It’s the pick on Sue thread…

She’s a very very difficult woman and doesn’t play well with others…

To blame Saxby’s situation in the runoff on her is unfair though. Saxby ran a HORRIBLE campaign. His staff was borderline at best. He never took his race serious regardless of the excuses offered and he paid for it with a runoff.

4. debbie0040 says:

“Oh yeah…and I hear Paul Bennecke is blaming Sue for Saxby’s general election run-off. It could not have been for the fact that several hundred thousand R voters (like me) were so pissed-off at Saxby’s time in office that we decided to NOT vote for him in the general. ”

I can tell you that many voters were ticked off at some of Saxby’s votes (especially the bailout) that they decided to teach Saxby a lesson and force him into a runoff. I also know that many GOP voters voted straight GOP except for the Senate race. Even Congressman Linder made the statement at the Gwinnett GOP breakfast that Saxby got in trouble because of his vote for the bailout. People are just trying to use Sue as a scapegoat and it infuriates women.

Sue has a good deal of support and anyone that runs against her is a fool..

5. Mountain Republican says:

Debbie’s right. Following the election, it was amazing to look at the McCain-Palin vote, the Chambliss vote, and then the Congressional and state races. It was clear that many people deliberately left Chambliss blank, or voted for the Libertarian. In many Republican counties, Chambliss was the lowest Republican in terms of total number of votes at the state and federal level.

6. PegM says:

And another thing….the snub of Everhart (and RNC chairwoman, Herren) was just the tip of the iceberg of steaming GOP women. For years, women have been the heart and soul of the party doing the “grunt work” and then sitting back and watching the good ‘ol boys do the back slapping when they get elected. Well, fellows, the time has come for women to take their rightful position in leadership roles and actually get things done.

7. drjay says:

yeah saxby underperformed the rest of the gop in my precinct by about 8 points–from mccain down to the sheriff and da’s race

8. Chris says:

It is my observation that the women in the GOP tend to skew much more socially conservative than the men.

Karen Handel’s biggest weakness is on her social conservative bonifieds. Just look back to Bill Stephens’ (Trogladyte – Canton) campaign against her in the 2006 primary.

9. Icarus says:

Careful Chris, you’re going to get “ReaganRepublican” all worked up over that one. (who, if he’s not Bill, appears to be the guy who wrote his campaign material)

10. Bill Simon says:

If a campaign against Karen Handel in that neck of the woods (Canton) couldn’t defeat her, it is highly doubtful that she will be defeated in the rest of the state.

People like RR live in communities that turn out to be a lot like Waco religious compounds; i.e., out of touch with reality.

11. Georgia Judge says:

The ’06 SOS race was a joke on both sides,neither candidate worked it like the candidates for the other statewide races did.

Does anyone really think there is a ligitimate comparison between Handel and Palin,other than there both female????

12. debbie0040 says:

Palin and Handel are both strong women that stand their ground. I can tell you that women were already reeling from the treatment Palin received during the campaign. Then there was the Everhart/Herrin episode. Now it appears both Cagle and Oxendine supporters are attacking Karen… You clearly want to make women angry… Keep it up, you will find out just how angry we can get….

“The ‘06 SOS race was a joke on both sides,neither candidate worked it like the candidates for the other statewide races did.”

You must be joking .. That race was very hotly contested. Want me to pull old news articles about that race of do facts not matter to you?

13. Bill Simon says:

I think Handel would be able to SPELL better than you, Ga Judge. And, I presume you have a college degree or two.

The word is they’re as in “…other than they’re both female????” It is a contraction of the two words “they” and “are”, Your Judgeship.

14. debbie0040 says:
  15. Georgia Judge says:

Bill, you are absolutely correct I whiffed that one!!!

Debbie,I have no desire to make women angry and if I make you angry by calling into question a comparison of Handel and Palin,you are too thin skinned.I strongly believe she is not the conservative that Palin is ,period.

As far as the SOS race of 06 is concerned it was a joke!!! Yes,it got heated with verbal jousting but as far as shoe leather across the state it didnt register.I think BS thought he had it and was over confident and Handel looked very uneasy on the stump.Whatever the reason it was the worst of all the Primary races by far.

16. Making Sense says:

Some in this state are going to have to go back to school and research a little on what it means to be a conservative.

Karen is a real conservative. She has cut spending and reigned in an out of control bureaucracy as Secretary of State. She’s been tested against the Democrats and the media and holds her position and stands strong. She’s an honest and decent person and she is happily married.

As for the Sue, I don’t think that every woman in GA Politics is represented by her, nor does she claim to represent them. My beef is that other than giving foot in mouth speeches, she’s not done very much. If the head in the sand crowd wants to reelect her, so be it…

As for Senator Saxby, well, he should have explained his vote and the need for the bailout. He never explained it nor did he educate the public about it. He wanted everyone to forget that it happened the same way he wanted everyone to forget that he was essentially on the wrong side of almost every conservative issue that came up in the Senate… What will be interesting is whether or not Isakson faces a primary given that they have nearly identical voting records in the Senate…

17. shep1975 says:

Making Sense, you try raising over $10 million like Sue has done and tell me that it’s “not [doing] very much.”

Debbie, as Ox’s most vocal supporter (and may I add one of the few who does not hide who I am) on here, I have not, nor will I bash Karen Handel. I have known Karen way too long and think too highly of her and her skills. If I have any beef with her, it would be I would have hoped she would have waited so the SoS office would be one less to defend, she had the chance to build higher statewide name ID, and had been on a statewide ballot more so people would have had more chances to get used to voting for her.

None of that has anything to do with her personality, character or qualifications for the job she’s seeking. It’s all inside party stuff.

18. John Konop says:

Making Sense

Sue has always done a great job working with the grass roots of the party. The respect level for Sue is very high among us regular folks.

19. odinseye2k says:

“I can tell you that women were already reeling from the treatment Palin received during the campaign. ”

I think there were just as many women pissed that Palin was mentioned in even the same breath as Hillary Clinton in terms of accomplishment and independence, let alone as a one-for-one equivalence.

20. Chris says:

No kidding. Palin won office based on her own hard work and accomplishments and not based on the previous office Todd held.

21. odinseye2k says:

Tip of the hat to Chris.

Also, reading Todd’s Wikipedia – did you know that his stepmother (pro-choice Democrat) tried to win Palin’s mayorship? Must make for interesting family dinners…

22. GOPeach says:

Okay- Georgia Judge…. You correct! There is NO WAY EVER that Karen Handel is a “Sarah Palin”. NO way. Karen is doing a GREAT job as Secretary pf State. She should REMAIN there.

23. GOPeach says:

LOL — hummmm

24. Everhart WILL be challenged at the state GOP convention. Every time it’s announced at a county party meeting that she’s running for reelection, the response is, shall we say, overwhelmingly tepid. There are so many Republicans pissed off at her pomposity that she’ll be darned lucky to be able to hold on to that position. She sure won’t get the turnout that she drummed up at last year’s convention, and that was the most pitiful turnout I’ve seen in a long time. If it wasn’t for the 35% turnout by the Ron Paul supporters, you could have rented the Ramada Inn for a lot cheaper.

25. Icarus says:

Sheppie, that’s only counting under conventional standards. If you eliminate fractional reserve banking and bring back the gold standard…

26. …Ah, I got you, yes, yes, I see your point…carry the one, divide by a twin towers conspiracy theory and yes! 35% of the convention goers WHERE Ron Paul supporters. I see it now!

27. Icarus says:

You left out THE BANKERS, but close enough, yes.

(Something tells me Taft is about to tell me I’m not funny any more…)

28. debbie0040 says:

Taft, you just sent the women into high gear to support Sue. You think the Ron Paulers were vocal at the last state convention, that ain’t nothing compared to what we will be!!! You and the other good ole boy chauvinists need to realize that the women are the worker bees of the party…

See you in Savannah…

29. Chris says:

I think the Columbus convention easily had 35% turn out of pissed-off-angry-conservatives, of which half of that might have been Ron Paul/C4L types.

They were more organized that you give them credit for Jason. Assuming they can maintain their enthusiasm, do some strategic out reach to the other pissed-off-angry-conservatives, and bone up on their Roberts, they may elect themselves an officer or two.

All of those would hinge on the language of the bylaws changes of course. Enforcement would be a bitch.

30. debbie0040 says:

“I’d support a bylaws change that the state party can’t exclude any candidate from the website, even if they are running against the incumbent governor. I’d support a bylaws change that says the Party must provide equal support for all Republican candidates in a primary.”

RIGHT ON!!!!

31. My husband did not marry me to keep me in the kitchen – he was thinking more about the bedroom actually! 🙂 What I make for dinner is RESERVATIONS!

LOL, I needed a laugh!!!

32. atlantarlc says:

These GOP women are exactly like the inner city black people, who voted for Obama because he was black rebelling against the traditional white power.

When this was happening all those GOP women supporting McCain were astounded at the racism towards McCain, now they fight perceived sexism with more sexism.

Doesn’t surprise me though. The GOP is always very hypocritical. They yell about huge government and when they get in power they increase spending.

And here in Georgia, the General Assembly hogs all the power for itself rarely letting local governments control.

33. drjay says:

if turnout was down in columbus–it might have been the location–you can’t hardly get there from here–for instance–there may have also been less than enthusiastic support for the nominee–and there has been a lack of a real keynote speaker the last couple of times that i find annoying–since the convention was brought up–i feel free to bitch about this particular point–in 96 elizabeth dole was the keynoter for the convention–and she was great, she actually walked on the convention floor w/ a cordless mike while she spoke, in 05 in sav’h it was jeb –then in 07 in duluth it was newt–but he did not speak at the convention–you had to pay 100 bucks or so to go to a dinner and hear him speak the night before–and it was the same last year w/ mike steele–the guy from louisiana was ok but the mccain folks could have sent an all star to a state convention one would think–if its like that again this year, i will be further annoyed–thus ends my slightly off the subject rant…

34. drjay says:

i generally agree w/ what you say about the website thing–the dems seemed to do a better job w/ that–linked to both mckinney and johnson in 06 for example–but i’m not sure i’d go for it carte blanche–i’m comfortable w/ the state ctte or some other body being able to vote to keep a ray mcberry or some future incarnation of a jb stoner from being linked on the official website…

35. PegM says:

Just a damn minute Taft Republican! The phrase “tepid response” and “her pomposity” in reference to Sue Everhart indicates that you must be visually and hearing impaired. She is the most popular Chairman in many, many years. And just because she DOES NOT brag about her accomplishments, doesn’t mean that she wasn’t responsible for several millions being brought into the party. I don’t think you are used to a Chairman, who can roll up her sleeves as well as stand behind the mic.

As for the turnout in Columbus, methinks the lackluster and disappointing candidacy of McCain had something to do with that.