Tech Football, looking to commemorate something, decide on a ring for winning one game

December 30, 2008 13:04 pm

by Pete Randall · 19 comments

Georgia Tech Football has decided that they need to commemorate their first win against Georgia in six or seven years by handing out special rings to all of their players. Now, I can understand it for winning a bowl game or a conference championship…but for winning one game against a rival? I’m pretty sure UGA doesn’t do this when they beat Florida every ten years.

As part of its bowl bounty, Tech is giving each player a ring. Coach Paul Johnson left the design of ring to the team’s seniors. He said the seniors decided to include the score of the Georgia game, 45-42, in the ring’s design. The win snapped a seven-game losing streak to the Bulldogs.

“We could give them $180 or something like that and then they’d spend it,” Johnson said. “Or you could give them that ring and they’ll have it 10 years from now.”

Yes, they’ll have it 10 years from now and will be impressing the ladies, right?

Buzz Brockway December 30, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I doubt you’ll see any of these rings on eBay. The Tech players will treasure them, unlike the UGA players who sell every ring they get.

Icarus December 30, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I doubt you’ll see any of these rings on eBay. The Tech players will treasure them, just like Al Bundy did when he scored 4 touchdowns in one game.

JBC December 30, 2008 at 2:11 pm

The ring is their property, they can do with it what they please.

rugby fan December 30, 2008 at 2:19 pm

It is either OSU or Michigan that gives some token to its players when they beat their rival.

Icarus December 30, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Can’t be Michigan. I’m not sure there’s a man still alive that remembers the last time they beat a rival…

Jace Walden December 30, 2008 at 2:50 pm

And there’s the difference between the Georgia Tech Football program and the University of Georgia Football program. For Georgia, a 9-3 season is seen as something shameful, a complete failure. For Tech, 9-3 is a cause for celebration.

JBC December 30, 2008 at 2:56 pm

That’s kind of the best part, Jace.

Buzz Brockway December 30, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Sure we haven’t had many 9-3 season lately but remember in the 40’s and 50’s we were fantastic and dominated the dogs winning 8 in a row at one point.

With Paul Johnson at the helm, we’ll close that dangerous bulldog gap and make the world safe for democracy once again.

Icarus December 30, 2008 at 3:32 pm

“but remember in the 40’s and 50’s…”

Um, no, I don’t. Do you?

Buzz Brockway December 30, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I’m assuming that the average PP reader has a pretty good grasp on history. I know they don’t teach basic math at UGA, are you saying they don’t teach history either?

Icarus December 30, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I’m saying I wasn’t around in the 40’s, so I don’t remember them. Or don’t they teach English at Tech? Or maybe they offered it, but you decided not to take it, since you never planned to visit England anyway?

As for the history part, the 40’s was when Tech decided to cheat and use non-student Navy recruits for a few games. We don’t count those at UGA.

Buzz Brockway December 30, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I took English from some hippie in a tye-dye shirt. It was a nice break in the schedule between statistics and linear algebra.

Hey, if Wikipedia and Jason Shepherd say the games UGA refuses to acknowledge count that’s good enough for me.

Icarus December 30, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Droopy says that “cheaters never win”.

I’m going with Droopy on this one.

debbie0040 December 31, 2008 at 8:24 am

Don’t see why Bulldog fans are making a big deal out of the rings. Coaches use different “props” to motivate players. Johnson uses the rings and Richt uses the “blackout”.

What is the difference?

If I were Georgia fans, I would quit gloating. There is a new sheriff in town with Johnson…

Icarus December 31, 2008 at 9:09 am

“…I would quit gloating.”

…said the Bama fan with Saban on their sidelines, while their in-state rival just hired the greatly feared Gene Chizik.

Bama fans almost learned some humility during their years wandering the probation desert. One more season and they’ll be more insufferable than Doug Deal.

Bill Simon December 31, 2008 at 9:34 am

Whereas the very word “humility” has been stricken from every dictionary, thesaurus, and website connected to UGA.

By the way, Icarus, the root word of “humility” is from the Latin word “humil” meaning “low.” Another word derived from humil is the word humiliation, as in “UGA football fanatics were subjected to years of humiliation after suffering defeat in 2008 from their arch-rival, Georgia Tech, with the humiliating final score of 45-42.”

debbie0040 December 31, 2008 at 9:47 am

Bama fans did learn humility. We gloat for a few hours after a victory, (Rammer Jammer cheer) but we also know it could all come tumbling down any time. You don’t see arrogance from our players as you do with other teams. I do have pride in what Alabama has accomplished this year. They were not even in the top 25 in pre-season polls but they believed in themselves and worked very hard to turn things around.

I do know that Paul Johnson was one of the coaches Alabama looked very hard at during the coaching search before Saban agreed to come to Tuscaloosa. Tech made a VERY wise decision in offering the HC job to Johnson…

I wish Tech good luck tonight in defeating LSwho…

Doug Deal December 31, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Bill,

It is not UGA’s fault those words were stricken from the UGA dictionary. It was due to a bad call by the publisher.

Game Fan December 31, 2008 at 9:25 pm

45 – 5 = 40
Where 5 is the number of cool points deducted for the ring.
40 -42.
DAWGS ON TOP ’08!!!

Comments on this entry are closed.