Should death penalty not be unanimous?

December 14, 2008 23:58 pm

by Buzz Brockway · 71 comments

The Brian Nichols verdict has brought up the question about whether or not the death penalty should require unanimous support from a jury. Personally I think it should (be unanimous), however Rep. Tim Bearden of Villa Rica has a bill to require only 10 jurors to render a death penalty verdict. Bearden was on 11Alive tonight talking about it. Apparently he’s submitted such a bill before.

What do you folks think about this idea?

reggiejg December 16, 2008 at 10:30 am

I don’t see a unanimous vote as being necessary. We’re talking about sentencing now, not guilt or innocence. He’s been found guilty. There was no debate about the guilt of Nichols. While the discussion of not requiring full agreement of the jury has gone on for some time, this case is clear evidence the discussion needs to be moved out front.

If you can’t impose the death penalty on this guy then the system clearly needs repair. That, or just do away with the pretense we actually have a death penalty.

Setting Nichols aside, there is a history of jurors, despite claiming they could impose a death penalty, having no intention of supporting the death penalty under any circumstances.

Since guilt has been determined and it’s simply a matter of sentencing, I think a 60 percent or 2/3 vote of the jury should be more than enough.

John Konop December 16, 2008 at 10:41 am

reggiejg

If you were on a jury and they blew up an abortion clinic and a person died would you vote for the death penalty?

And if you or anyone voted no should they be sent to prison?

Tea Party December 16, 2008 at 11:08 am

Goldie, you are usually much more temperate and I respect your 1st Amendment rights, but that remark was just SO OVER the top, in light of the Season, and everything else.

Go wash your fingers out with soap.

Icarus December 16, 2008 at 11:12 am

Minus 2 points for Tea Party.

The proper response should have been, “You kiss your mother’s ass and go straight to hell, Loser.”

debbie0040 December 16, 2008 at 12:03 pm

John Konop 12.15.08 at 4:07 pm

Icarus

And Debbie has made my point because she would never call for a jury member being sent to prison for not voting for a person who blew up an abortion clinic and killed someone.

John , there you go again putting words in my mouth. Get a life !! Please show where I EVER said at any time the words you attributed to me above. Put up or shut up. You do that to many posters on this blog…

debbie0040 December 16, 2008 at 12:06 pm

John, your opinions mean nothing to mean and just because I and others do not respond to your wild, baseless accusations does not mean they are true. Some ridiculous accusations from little ridiculous people are not worth responding to. You are one of those little people that are not worth responding to.

Icarus December 16, 2008 at 12:14 pm

“You are one of those little people that are not worth responding to.”

And yet you responded incorrectly. Twice. See above.

Minus 4 points.

Goldwater Conservative December 16, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Tea Party,

Which part was so dirty?

I assume it was the very last part about how the GOP uses these kinds of wedge issues as a distraction. They do…because it works.

Icarus,

If there is a heaven or hell…you and I have the same odds of going to either. Do you really take communion with that mouth?

I am a winner. I was able to retire in this country. Good luck to you.

Southwest GA Libertarian December 16, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Just realized something about pro-choice/anti-capital punishment types:

They are willing to let one person order the execution of one of the most innocent in our society, yet they are unwilling to let 10 people order the execution of one of the most guilty.

Which is more likely to be making a decision based on emotion, the 1 or the 10?

Which victim had a choice in their action, the unborn child or the defendant on the capital charge?

With great power (freedom) comes great responsibility.

Icarus December 16, 2008 at 12:27 pm

GC,

If you’re going to keep up with the inside jokes around here, you have to read PP every day. INCLUDING weekends.

John Konop December 16, 2008 at 12:30 pm

debbie0040

Than you should answer the questions and stop attacking me.

ONCE AGAIN

And if you or anyone voted no should they be sent to prison?

rugby fan December 16, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Adding to what Icarus said, you will need to be constantly thinking about Peach Pundit to keep up with the inside jokes.

However, there is one issue we are all deadly serious about: and that is getting Paul Broun sworn in.

Icarus December 16, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I should probably also add, in order to keep up with the inside jokes, you also have to read ALL the threads about Macon, no matter how painful it may be.

Now, back to getting Paul Broun sworn in…

Tea Party December 16, 2008 at 1:42 pm

GC: I get ya, making a point about GOP or Dems using extremist language to perpetuate a ‘wedgey’ issue. (Those issues that get stuck up a voters butt-crack and hurt…)

I knew you weren’t going all ‘hateful’ on us. You are too good a poster for that.

Anyone want to join me and donate any ‘points’ left to avoid reading about Macon or Augusta, for that matter. Sorry Erick, but your town is more boring than folding sox.

debs and kono should get a room, this is starting to sound like political foreplay.

I miss spacey.

Icarus December 16, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Every town can’t have a Snuggles, TP.

debbie0040 December 16, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I will answer your question one last time. In the future I will not respond to you. You are not worth it..

I believe that ANYONE that commits pre-meditated murder, and they are of sound mind, should get the death penalty. If a someone serving on a jury commits perjury filling out a jury questionaire, then yes I think they should be tried for perjury.

John Konop December 16, 2008 at 3:15 pm

debbie0040

Do you think blowing up an abortion clinis is pre-meditated murder?

debbie0040 December 16, 2008 at 3:23 pm

yep I do

John Konop December 16, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Debbbie

If that is the case you are not being a hypocrite over judgmental but not a hypocrite.

dorian December 18, 2008 at 8:41 am

John, I tried to read your post three times, but after a few words it just came out all garbled. I mean, it’s like you’re the teacher from the Peanuts cartoon. You know “Mowopmwopmwop”. I think the just of it was something about your being a Jehovah’s Witness. Anyway, I could tell you STILL haven’t read that book.

John Konop December 18, 2008 at 9:41 am

Dorian

You should deal with your anger issue.

Anger Management Techniques

Comments on this entry are closed.