Icarus’ Daily Keen Insight Into The Obvious: It Is (Past) Time For Bush To Go

December 12, 2008 12:55 pm

by Icarus · 84 comments

note:  No, this has nothing to do with Georgia Politics, but I’ve held it in as long as I can, and I had to let this out somewhere…

I have never voted for a Democrat for the Office of President.

I have never voted for a Democrat for the US House, either, though I did vote for Sam Nunn once.

But as of now, I am anxiously looking forward to the swearing in of Senator Barack Obama if for no other reason than I no longer have to defend the intellectual bankruptcy that is the Presidency of George W. Bush.

While I can still defend most of the actions of his first term (I won’t, it will just get Indy Injun all lathered up again about the “fraudsters”), the post-2004 Bush Presidency has seemed to have one singular goal:  To forget the mistakes of the past, and press on to the greater mistakes of the future.

This is a President that boldly stated after his re-election “I have earned some political capital, and I’m going to spend it.”  And what did he choose to spend it on?  A nebulous plan to privatize social security that he seemed to think out loud about for 18 months, leaving his Republican majority Congress twisting in the wind in an effort to try and support something that was ill-defined, unpopular, and never produced in writing so that it could be voted up or down.   When he finally bailed on it just before the 2006 mid-terms, he found that “Stay the Course” was neither a tactic nor a strategy, and that the public had grown tired of a failed war plan, failed action on securing social security, his “heck-of-a-job” on New Orleans, and that most Republican principles had been sold by Jack Abramoff to anyone who had good Redskins tickets.

So, Republicans in Congress took it up the shorts in 2006.   Congressional leadership is certainly not blameless, but the buck stops with the Pres, and he is the one that set the massive failure of an unpopular agenda that the Congress blindly supported.  So what does an unpopular president do to show his thanks to this Congress when they lost big?  He fired Rumsfeld days after the election.   Not before, when it probably would have helped them.  After is better, when it’s not “political”.  (Note to Pres:  Firing someone who failed to execute what should have been a very basic contingency plan for victory is going to be political whenever it happens.  Doing it at a time for the maximum disadvantage doesn’t make it non-political.  It just makes you an ass.)

Undeterred, Bush has seemed to make it a personal mission to make us forget his failures at Social Security reform, Katrina Relief, or the first 4,000 lives and $700 Billion of the Iraq war.  (There’s something biblical about the number 7.  There’s something Bush about putting 8 zero’s behind it.).   I really enjoy watching the tapes of Hank Paulson telling congress that he needed $700 Billion for a TARP program (note, I think there are people in New Orleans that would still appreciate a $7 blue tarp to put on a roof…), and that the money must be appropriated immediately or the financial system would collapse.   When asked how he came up with that number, he said something to the effect of “I pulled it out of Ben Bernake’s butt”.  I guess that sounded better than it was Biblical Bush math.  Paulson was also asked if the money just shouldn’t be loaned to banks to shore up their capital bases.  He insisted that there was no way it would work.  But the language in the original Bill stated that he, and he alone, would choose how to spend the $700 Billion.  And that no court, agency, or other body of review could challenge his decision.   WTF?

Weeks later, then money was appropriated, and amazingly, was spent in the manner that Paulson had testified had no chance of working.  For their loyalty (stupidity?) for trusting the Bush White House once again, seven more Republican Senators lost their seats.

So we come to last evening.  The bitter sting of being vanquished still fresh on their minds, the Republicans in the Senate are passed yet another steaming fresh pile of dung from the Bush team.  Told they must pass it or the world will end tomorrow, they finally pushed back a bit.   Lead by Bob Corker from Tennessee, one of the few states with both domestic and foreign owned auto plants, the Republicans insisted that stockholders, bondholders, and unions take dramatic haircuts to 1) force the domestic companies to form a competitive cost structure, and 2) provide a reasonable framework for which the taxpayers would be paid back.

The companies agreed on behalf of the stockholders and bondholders.  The unions balked.  They knew that Bush and Pelosi wouldn’t leave them hanging.   And they were right.

Today, we have this quote from the Bush Team:

“Because Congress failed to act, we will stand ready to prevent an imminent failure until Congress reconvenes and acts to address the long-term viability of the industry,” Treasury spokeswoman Brookly McLaughlin said.

Congress didn’t “fail to act”.   They deliberated, and reached an appropriate action plan that didn’t unnecessarily put taxpayer funds at risk.  They didn’t vote to preserve above market wages at the expense of those who work under market based conditions.  They refused to vote to preserve institutionalized incompetence at all levels of the industry.

But instead of backing those who have thrown themselves on the sword for him, time after time, issue after issue, Bush has decided to do (AGAIN) what Paulsen just weeks ago said was inappropriate.  He’s going to fund a blank check to the auto companies out of TARP funds.

Mr. President, it is time for you to go.  It has been a long time since you have made any attempt to govern according to the conservative principals you represent.  The damage you have done to the conservative movement is severe, deep, and possibly permanent.   You now appear to be ready and eager to do the bidding of the Democrats in Congress.  Why not just go ahead, call Senator Obama, and ask him to come by and pick up the keys to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?  At least then, the country would be 5 weeks ahead of the recovery plan that will be the one that matters.  You are clearly biding time, and the country needs direction and leadership.   You appear both unable and unwilling to provide that.

I am ready for our new President.  And I will support him until he does something worthy of losing that support.  I’ve learned not to say “it can’t be worse”, because often it can.  However, America is a country of optimism, and I choose to be an optimist.

And it will be much easier to be an optimist when I can quit trying to defend or explain away the actions of George W. Bush.

Icarus December 13, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Doug,

I missed that in my first read of “Wealth of Nations”, but I’ll look for it on my next pass.

Game Fan December 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm

I just hope people start connecting with some of the REAL sentiment out here: a.k.a. no more Bushes and no more Clintons, please. This concept isn’t difficult to figure out if you’re in tune with the public. Contrary to the talking points, the blogosphere has some real deal sentiment from the real world.

Game Fan December 13, 2008 at 11:48 pm

boyreporter
I figured your compliment toward “Jeb” was a little “tongue in cheek” as was my response.

Doug Deal December 13, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Icarus,

It’s on page 7.

Icarus December 14, 2008 at 8:02 am

That’s probably why I missed it. I don’t spend too much time on remembering reading material until I get to the centerfold.

Tea Party December 14, 2008 at 11:26 am

“And we liberals will be absolutely sure that everyone knows what colors the team that screwed the pooch quite gratuitously and gleefully were wearing while they did it.”

That’s jsut rich, and I do mean rich in a good, not gloppy, way.

Doug Deal December 14, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Icarus,

I think they air brushed Adam Smith a bit in that spread.

Game Fan December 15, 2008 at 2:20 pm

re:
“We Liberals”
Not sure why he embraced that term but as someone who’s old enough to have voted for Reagan once, I’m going with the “small govt.” concept as far as the “liberal vs. conservative” dichotomy goes. And as a “small government conservative” some of us aren’t about to let the neocons hijack the “conservative” banner. That wouldn’t be very “conservative”.

Chris December 15, 2008 at 4:15 pm

But GameFan, 9/11 changed everything!

The force exerted by the gravitational pull of the Earth is no longer 32ft/sec^2. Light no longer travels at 299 792 458 m/s. A year is now 284 not 365.25 days.

How can you deny this! 9/11 changed everything and now Government is the solution to all our problems. Why, I just burnt the chicken I was cooking for dinner, and the doorbell rang and there was Hank Paulson, bald head shining the sun, with a perfectly roasted bird for my family to eat.

Those dusty old theories of supply and demand don’t apply in the post 9/11 world, where at any minute 56 billion Muslims could detonate nukular weapons and wipe out the last vestiges of civilization: the swank restaurants K-Street lobbyists take members of Congress to.

The neo-cons will protect us. There hasn’t been a terrorist attack on the United States1 since we suspended the bill of rights like they told us to do.

1) Excluding acts of terror committed by the US Government on innocent citizens who were at the wrong place at the wrong time, who happened to be one digit off from a wrong address drug raid, or just happened to ask an annoying question of a political figure.

Icarus December 15, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Farris, I am truly shocked.

How can you stop to worry about the 56 Billion Muslims with nukular weapons when there are dudes right here in this country having butt sex?

Focus, man. Focus.

Doug Deal December 15, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Chris,

This will be the Congress that finally repeals the law of supply and demand. I am surprised the Supreme Court hasn’t already declared it unConstitutional and set pi to equal 3.

Icarus December 15, 2008 at 4:57 pm

3 is an “odd” number.

As such, the terminology is in and of itself discrimintory. No one wants an “odd” pi.

We need more pi. (President Obama, in one of his most famous speeches of all time, is pro-pi).

And pi should be even. Even denotes fairness.

And why would you, as a Republican, want to round pi down? Who are you trying to take pi away from? Probably the “working people”.

I say we need more Pi. Pi should be fair, thus even.

Pi = 4.

Now, isn’t everyone better off?

joe December 15, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Pi = 4 — sure makes cicles look odd. Maybe if you left Pi odd and rounded up to 5, the cirles woud be even.

IndyInjun December 15, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Rat, Ic, and Deal…..you guys are breaking me up…..

Doug Deal December 15, 2008 at 6:19 pm

4 means a “square wheel”, which rhymes with “square deal”, which proves it is fair for everyone.

Plus, since some area calculations use pi, a larger value means that there is more land for everyone. Like the minimum wage, pi has not kept up with inflation and hasn’t been changed in years. What a wonderfully progressive idea Icarus.

IndyInjun December 15, 2008 at 6:56 pm

How’s Sam Deal with his mug being on Peachpundit?

He should have pi(eed) on your shirt for this indignity.

Now he might end up in the clutches of the TMC.

Icarus December 15, 2008 at 6:59 pm

“Now he might end up in the clutches of the TMC.”

In the clutches? Take a look around. Who do you think is running this place?

Everything you see here is the product of a 1-year-old’s mind.

IndyInjun December 15, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Ah, the Sun of Sam has vast powers then.

Maybe he can compell his “Uncles” Icarus and Indy to send precious gifts, kind if like Ben Bernanke and Paulson.

Wow, Sun of Sam is GREAT.

All hail Sun of Sam, potentate of the TMC. Maybe he can do something about Aunt “Peachy.”

Icarus December 15, 2008 at 8:02 pm

“Maybe he can do something about Aunt ‘Peachy.’ ”

This is the south, where the proper thing to do is leave her on the front porch for all to see, but to pay her no mind.

Chris December 15, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Well, we shant talk about the Muslims having nukular butt-sex. They are undermining traditional arranged marriages.

Bill Simon December 15, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I think the number “4” is quite significant, especially in the world of Everything That Is Important To Icarus:

45 – 42

IndyInjun December 15, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Just as long as it doesn’t become “4 more years”…..of…well…anything.

Especially not Yellow Jackets atop the scoreboard.

That hurt, Simon. It really did.

Doug Deal December 16, 2008 at 9:50 am

Sam decided to chime in on the TMC, he typed “erjnoeqsarddddddddddddddddd”.

I am not sure what that means.

Anyway, why are we discussing such trifles when the world is lying in want of a preview for this coming weekends showdown in the finals of the fantasy football league?

Icarus December 16, 2008 at 10:11 am

We generally post these things on Tuesdays, when Icarus has the time.

Right now, he has a conference call to prepare for. Maybe after that, we’ll get up a post about the dangers of the insufferable Doug Deal potentially winning the Fantasy league.

Doug Deal December 16, 2008 at 10:26 am

Icarus,

You can try to beat back the tied, but you will fail.

Taft Republican December 17, 2008 at 8:19 am

Icarus and others – the excellent comments by Indy Injun aside, I absolutely DARE you to take 10 minutes of your obviously valuable time to get slapped around by THIS video.

I’m glad to see some Republicans actually starting to come around. Let’s hope it’s not too late to return the GOP to its roots.

Icarus December 17, 2008 at 8:43 am

“your obviously valuable time”

I’m just on my first coffee of the day, but I think I’m detecting a bit of sarcasm this morning.

I’ll see if I can work you in to my schedule for 10 minutes, however.

Icarus December 17, 2008 at 9:06 am

OK Taft, you got 10 minutes and 1 second of my valuable time.

Perhaps you’ve also had this experience:

You’re invited over to a friends house for “dinner” to meet a few of his friends, but when you get there, dinner is really cheese and crackers, and his other friends are the next people higher up in his AmWay pyramid. Not wanting to be rude, you spend the next three hours listening to people who you can tell are on the edge of sanity, but a lot of the things they are saying to justify your conclusion you know to be true.

Yet the facts that would get you from their analysis of the present (you can’t rely on social security for retirement, you can’t rely on a corporate job to last forever, you must take matters in your own hands by owing your own business) to the future (be independently wealthy, secure, fit, and healthy) don’t seem to add up, or are missing altogether.

That’s what I feel like with the followers of he who shall not be named. I don’t name him not out of disrespect for him, but I swear to God you guys have some sort of search engine that calls all followers to post whenever the crawler alerts to his wisdom from on high being challenged.

So, OK, I’ll give credit to him for calling out some potential problems that we’re experiencing. I still liken his solutions to putting a shotgun to the face and pulling the trigger to cure a headache.

Later today, I’ll be posting an actual solution to the problem I’ve been working on via e-mail with John Konop. He, like RP, also has been calling for a return to fiscal sanity since long before it was cool.

Unlike RP, John appears to live in the real world, (if you can consider Woodstock the real world). His solutions are practical, relatively easy to implement, and restore some common sense to our financial system without discarding both the federal reserve, worthless paper money, and most of the federal government (though we can leave the option open to work on some of the last part later).

Bill Simon December 17, 2008 at 9:13 am

I saw an Amway commercial last night promoting their online sites. SOMEONE must still be making money at that…

Is their detergent still the best because you only need a little bit? Their vitamins? What is my potential market for getting re-sellers below me?

Taft Republican December 17, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Icarus, eloquence aside, you’re a goof. RP *does* live in the “real world” — which is why his calls of what was coming down the road were “on the money” (pun intended), and why people who live in this fantasy (read: unconstitutional and anti-free market) world continue to think that if we somehow just stick to the same old crappy system we’ve been using for the last umpteen years (which got us into this mess in the first place), instead of returning to free markets and constitutional enumerated powers, we can “fix” everything with these mythical “actual solutions” that rely on the same miserable failed paradigms and presuppositions that brought us to this disaster, which grows worse by the day.

In fact, that’s not just called a “fantasy world” — that’s the definition of insanity, as I’m sure you know.

I love the fact that all I’m hearing all over the place nowadays — from talking-head pundits on financial news networks, to wish-they-were-famous bloggers on local-yokel WordPress websites — is, “OK, I’ll give credit to him for calling out some potential problems that we’re experiencing, but yada yada yada.” You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him think.

Bill Simon December 17, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Hey, Icarus! You should start a blog called TheDailyKeen.com

Icarus December 17, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Too close to Jerry.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }