Why don’t you go first?

December 3, 2008 15:14 pm

by Erick · 24 comments

I agree, Saxby.

Fresh off his double-digits runoff win, Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss says his party must return to its conservative roots.

But what is troubling is this:

he said he expects his campaign will be a model for Republicans looking to regroup in the 2010 election cycle.

Now, if you mean being forced to put your team in the corner and let the professional, conservative adults in the room take over, rescue you, and win, then absolutely! If you mean, blow a lead, burn through a wad of cash, run a cluster *$#! of a campaign, get into a runoff, and scramble around like mad forcing others into difficult positions they should not have had to be in, then no.

The fact is Saxby, you have no natural base in Georgia. You don’t. Johnny has the metro Atlanta Republicans — a sizable group. You have Moultrie. Johnny has the country club moderates. You don’t have them and you don’t have the conservatives. The best you can claim are farmers — not a sizable group.

Saxby, do you realize your campaign did no significant outreach to third party groups in the general election? Seriously. Now I know some of your staff will say otherwise, but I’ve talked to the gun groups, the small business groups, the Christian groups, the free enterprise groups, and others — they are all pretty damn unanimous that your outreach efforts were terrible.

Likewise, you put yourself into this position. You talk about returning to your conservative roots — well you start first. The immigration compromise hurt you with the base. The farm bill hurt you with the business community. The energy compromise hurt you with the part of the base not hurt by the immigration compromise. Then the bailout vote set you on fire and nobody could bother even peeing on you after that. You’ve gotten squishy on financial issues. You’ve gotten squishy on business issues. You’ve gotten comfortable in the establishment and the base does not see you as dependable anymore.

In short Saxby, you pissed off everybody. And people did not come out to vote for you. They came out to stop a filibuster proof Democrat Senate.

We all like you Saxby. Hell, I’ve busted my butt for years to get you elected, starting in 1994. And despite hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours working for you (including subjecting myself to Jim Marshall’s “Advising Small Businesses” class just to see if he’d say something stupid in 1998) and constantly fixing that miserable computer system in the old campaign office, I am sorely disappointed in how you’ve conducted yourself in the past few years. I am even more sorely disappointed that your campaign was a disaster of monumental incompetence and a high level of being disconnected and out of touch with the grassroots on whom you depend for votes and volunteers.

And you are damn retarded if you think otherwise.

shep1975 December 3, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Here’s a video of Erick dictating this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok

Bill Simon December 3, 2008 at 4:00 pm

AND, Mister Blowhard forgot to add: and blame it all on a state party chair!

John Konop December 3, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Is this a new Erick?

rightofcenter December 3, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Wow.

Methinks someone has gotten a little too big for his britches.

And it ain’t Saxby…..

Chris December 3, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Erick,

Welcome to the f—ing p—ed off wing of the GOP!

John Konop December 3, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Rightofcenter

No one has been tougher on Erick than me. But I cannot disagree with anything he wrote. Please tell me what Erick wrote that was not true? What is wrong with Erick being honest? Do you think it is better to keep pretending?

Bull Moose December 3, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Erick is being very generous in his comments.

There are two sides to the discussion – policy and process. On both sides, Erick is right on target.

umustbekidding December 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Well said, Erick.

Icarus December 3, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I probably would have chosen more diplomatic words, and I have no opinion of Saxby’s Washington staff. (I give high marks to his Ga team)
When I wrote my piece endorsing Saxby, I accepted my own roll in being complicit with Saxby’s voting record to date. I also committed to making sure Saxby knows I expect a more fiscally conservative voting record going forward.
Erick’s words are a shot between the eyes in their harshness and firmness. They are, however, on target.

seenbetrdayz December 3, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Unless Saxby reads the posts here, I fully encourage you to put a greeting and a signature on this blog entry (letter) and mail it in to him. He needs to know that he didn’t deserve his seat, and we don’t need to sugar-coat that point. Chambliss will need to earn the title of “Senator.” Until he does so, he’s only a “place-holder.”

Decaturguy December 3, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Is Erick now letting Andre draft his blog posts for him?

Daniel N. Adams December 3, 2008 at 5:24 pm

This is the “Holy Sh**, the GOP no longer has either the congressional majority and presidency” Erick.

It always amazes me how reasonable republicans can sound, especially when they are in the minority. Walking the “talk” is where they always have trouble, especially when they are in the majority.

Ronald Daniels December 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Now to just make Saxby read this. If he takes the words of one man over all those calls to his Office right before his bailout I will truly be surprised.

Daniel N. Adams December 3, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Or
Erick could just be following the Boortz-Hannity model.
The further you are away from an election the harder you are on your own guys. The closer you are to an election the more reasons you come up with why we must all get behind the lesser of two evils. In between undermine all those that truly believe in liberty and freedom any way you can.

If Erick et. al. have really seen the light, SHOW ME! Words are cheap. The GOP is still in control of the state. How about do away with the draconian ballot access requirements. A lot of people felt cheated after standing in line for hours to vote, only to find most of the races were uncontested. Having to get 5% of the registered voter’s signatures (287,910 for a slate of US reps, state reps and state senators… each) for independent and non-GOP and non-Dem candidates to just get on the ballot is just wrong. It is easier to get on the ballot in the old Soviet Georgia than it is to get on here, in our great state of Georgia.

Rick Day December 3, 2008 at 9:01 pm

I have to admit my jaw dropped when I read who posted this.

Eric….you now see the light. You are a changed man. You spent your 40 days in the desert and look just marvelous with that new tan! Your words impresses the hell out of me. I think you do see the issue here: these are not true conservatives and they must called to task.

Well played, sir! Could be your best post evah!

IndyInjun December 3, 2008 at 10:21 pm

WOW! I was nearly speechless!!!!

Rick Day hit the nail on the head. Although this election is past, the Georgia Republican party must now take Saxby and Johnny to task.

There simply is no choice, unless the party decides to clearly abandon every major tenet of conservatism and its own platform. Folks like me INTEND to use the treatise “I AM A REPUBLICAN, BECAUSE…..” as a battering ram against the ones who are apologists for Saxby, Johnny, and the Arlen Specters of the Senate.

Had the Dems run a decent candidate, that Senate seat would have been theirs, 60-vote deal or not.

Shoot, the 60 vote scare tactic wasn’t even valid for two reasons: Saxby’s proven treachery and the FACT that in 40 years of Dem control they never passed a social spending program like Saxby’s baby, medicare D, so GOP traitors like Saxby are demonstrably more dangerous than a Dem congress.

Meanwhile, this reform movement seems to have left Buzz unfazed, as I note that he is crowing about getting behind Johnny’s reelection.

REAL REPUBLICANS would make damned sure that Isakson has IN PARTY OPPOSITION and very good opposition, at that. Shoot, we might even prove a point by following up Saxby’s win by a recall effort.

Ronald Daniels December 4, 2008 at 12:18 am

You can’t recall U.S. Senators at this time, Indy.

But someone does need to run against Isackson, if he decides to run, the Democrats will get smart one day and run a quasi-conservative Democrat. We need a strong conservative to combat that.

atlantaman December 4, 2008 at 7:51 am

I’m a fan of Saxby’s, which I know isn’t a popular thing to say on this board, as there are plenty of conservative issues he votes for that don’t receive the limelight.

That being said, I was a little surprised at his stating that an incumbent senatorial campaign, that spent $13 million dollars, in the reddest of red states, that couldn’t get 50% of the vote should be used as the model campaign for the national GOP. I realize he got hit with the major one-two punch of Obama’s popularity and a plummeting economy, but let’s try to take the blinders off and not get too cocky about the runoff win.

IndyInjun December 4, 2008 at 9:51 am

Well, Ronald, since we don’t have the right to recall disastrous officials, shouldn’t that be a FIRST PRIORITY of the General Assembly? Isn’t that more important than bass boat ramps on dried-up lakes?

Something tells me that Saxby’s horrendous votes for massive spending and bailouts, both of which are readily tied to his alliances with Wall Street, will have most of a decimated middle class about ready to riot if he cannot be removed as US Senator 2 years.

Every CONSERVATIVE and every REPUBLICAN who truly wishes to reform that party needs to unite to make recall a reality, despite reluctance on the part of the legislature.

In doing so, WE together can move the party back to its principles and not have to wince when someone waves “I AM A REPUBLICAN, BECAUSE….” it our faces.

It is sad when, having only a 2 party system to start with, they kneecap all opposition to incumbents, no matter how traitorous they might have been, then said sorry incumbent cannot be removed for 6 years.

It sure as heck ain’t what the founders fought for.

atlantagop12 December 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm

Erick, you seem like angry fellow, but I agree with you. I think Perdue is better at being down in the polls than knowing how to come sustain a lead.

Gambles that worked back in the Coverdell upset or the Cleland one do not always fly as an incumbent.

rightofcenter December 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Indy,
Please get back on your meds.
Atlantaman,
I think Saxby was talking about his runoff campaign, not the Nov. 4th campaign. It really was two different campaigns……

IndyInjun December 5, 2008 at 6:11 pm

RofC,

Please post the guiding principles of the GOP RIGHT HERE.

I am waiting and wide awake.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }