Vote Early, Vote Often!

Wake up your dead Aunt Tilly and make her vote too. Every Vote Counts*

Consider this a polls are open thread.

* Offer not valid in PA, OH and FL. Some restrictions may apply. The STATE OF CALIFORNIA would like you to know that voting may cause cancer.

1. DoubleDawg3 says:

A little bit of voter mishap in the North GA mountains this morning. I went to vote and was told that I had already taken an absentee ballot?! …Well, since I hadn’t requested one and since I hadn’t voted one, I asked them to check it out.

Turns out, I wasn’t the only one apparently – several voters were showing up as having taken an absentee ballot (that in fact had not).

In my case, they got the glitch fixed and I was able to vote. I don’t think they were turning anyone away b/c of the error though, which is good.

2. I have two of the “Georgia Voter” stickers, which I will use for two cups of coffee from Starbucks.

Living and voting in DeKalb County has its advantages!

(Note: That is a joke. I only voted once, but my wife redistributed her sticker to me.)

3. Rick Day says:

I just returned from voting in South Gilmer County. Arrived at 9:00 and was back home by 9:20.

Out of 2008 on the voting roll in the precinct, there had been 140 voted already, whiich does not count absentee and early votes, which were reported heavy in the county by the poll official.

Funny, the LWV/AJC’s sample ballot system (that was supposed to show an actual ballot for each precinct) had the presidential contenders in the wrong order. McCain was at the top of the actual ballot, while Barr was in my sample.

Point of fact: all republicans on the ballot got ‘top billing’. Makes it easy for those 80-somethings to vote, eh, Republicans?

The scorpion can not fight its natural instincts (sigh)

Also there were some local issues that were not on the ballot, so I could not research them beforehand, which every good voter should do.

For the solo ‘candidates’ I did not vote. Why support a crony?

Libs and Dem’s got all my vote. I voted 2 ney one yea on the constitutional amendments because I feel the Constitution should be left alone. No one wants a Constitution to bulk out like the O.C.G.A.!

Less Laws ™ is the new mantra, It is time to go into a ‘repeal mode’ for the survivors, or THEY get cleaned out next election.

The Peoples ™ has Spoken

4. Old Vet says:

It’s a cliche, but I think a nation that can put a man on the moon should be able to run a fair and organized election. Elections are, after all, the heart of our society. Why don’t we have a standard national election scheme, mandated and overseen by the federal government, with voting machines that (1) work and (2) can be trusted not to be manipulated? Also, with the increased popularity of absentee and early voting, it is clear that the concept of holding elections on a single day should be relegated to the 20th Century. I have been voting since the early 1960s, and after 2000 and 2004 I almost lost faith that the system can be safe from a partisan-fueled “bloodless coup”. Partisan politics absolutely must be kept out of the election process itself, and toomfoolery by the likes of Karen Handle cannot be tolerated. Democracy is much like Tinkerbell – once the kids in the theater stop clapping and whispering “I believe”, it vanishes.

5. Chris says:

Ah yes, the old “OMG states are doing things different! The Federal Government must step in and solve this non-existent problem!” argument.

6. debbie0040 says:

7. Old Vet says:

There is a hand made sign in my neighborhood stating “My Obama Sign Was Stolen”. It’s a bipartisan sport.

8. Old Vet says:

Let states do things differently with state and local elections, which affect their own population, but for national elections let’s all play by the same rules.

9. Chris says:

There are no national elections. Even the president is a state-wide election of people to the electoral college.

10. Know Nothing says:

Yeah, just what we need, meddling from Congress into the soveriegn affairs of a state. Great idea! So much for the safe haven provisions of the constitution.

11. “The Gwinnett GOP Headquarters has received reports of McCain-Palin signs being taken down and destroyed at numerous polling places.”

Well, unless they are at least 150 feet away they shouldn’t be at polling places anyway.

12. kcordell says:

That’s because you’re on the wrong side of the political spectrum. Caught you on the radio this morning. Good job.

13. umustbekidding says:

I voted early last week. I was thinking about going by my polling place just to see if my vote took. 😉

14. Old Vet says:

Jeez, I thought that phony states rights crap went out with George Wallace. If a candidate for Governor of X State steals an election thanks to his Secretary of State, it doesn’t affect me. If a party steals a senatorial or representative seat or, thanks to the electorial college, a presidential election, that does affect me.

15. jsm says:

Hey, thanks for the props on my radio debate, guys. Today was the last one for this election cycle, and I’m gonna miss it. It’s been a great outlet for me. Talking about the bigger issues this morning was fun.

16. Doug Deal says:

Go to bed early analysis for tonight’s election:

If you assume that NM goes for Obama and IN and NC stay GOP this cylce, the only states in doubt are (in order of EV):

In this scenario, Obama starts with 243 and McCain starts with 216. Obama wins any tie because the overwelming Dem House, so he only needs 269 to win. (There are a ridiculous number of scenarios that end in a tie).

That means:

If you see Florida called for Obama, go to bed, the election is over.

If you see Pennsylvania and any other state from the list go for Obama, turn out the lights.

If you see Ohio and any state except Nevada go for Obama, it’s over.

If Virginia and three other states below them on the list go for Obama, it’s a long night and Obama wins.

For McCain to win, he must take Florida, win Ohio and every other state, or take PA and all the states except for Nevada. If he wins both PA and OH, then one of the two following must occur:

1) Virginia goes for McCain
    2) Two of Missouri, Colorado and Nevado go for McCain.

So, check them off the list as they become impossible and go to bed early.

17. Chris says:

That month was the worst year of my portfolio too.

(I shorted everything in the beginning of October, so I’ve been sitting on cash most of this month.)

18. Doug Deal says:

I just took the closest states in the polls, pretty much everything not solid red or blue, then removed NM, NC and IN. Mainly the only way those states are not destined to go NM for Obama or NC and IN for McCain is if it is a “wave” election, in which case it will be over by 9 anyway.

Your definition of safe is a wierd one. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Safe is NY, CA, UT, MA. They are no where near safe, even if they lean one way.